Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
If the bad centrist dems split into their own party, would the centrist republicans join that party and forsake their republicanhood?

The existing party has bias so unless the leftover progressives do a terrible job with the Dem name it should do well, and most republicans will vote straight R unless given enough reason not to, for specific positions.

I believe it would be hard for the centrist party to succeed in america because it is very easily something either party can advertise as "All the corrupt people who wish to exploit you are in this party" from both sides of the isle... well if the parties were competent on what the voters want rather than what they want the voters to want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

ya, that cover is part of this article last month that was an amazing read that i may or may not have linked a bunch of times :chaostrump:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/BernieSanders/status/882303968407416832

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

how can they broadcast naked propaganda like this?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

happy 4th of july bernie

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

I duno, I think Mark Bowden is gonna need more than just himself to stop North Korea.

:thunk:

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

:yikes:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

logikv9 posted:

I'm a radical oxygen

drat yoooou

*shovels a bunch of blueberries into my mouth*

huh, its like im eating democrats because blueberries are blue and democrats are blue as if they were anti-oxidants :twisted:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Joementum posted:

"Trees, not as huggable as you thought"

gonna be thinking about that one for a while

Isn't there a tree in Australia where the sap is a neurotoxin and the bark causes rashes and the leaves are a third kind of poisonous?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Is that a rehashing of that NatGeo cover that said "Is evolution mistaken?" only to say "NO, YOU IDIOTS" on page 1?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Squizzle posted:

harshing my 4th july buzz is probateable until i sober up or fall asleep

this thread needs special notice

im checkin in v sporadically but you never know!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usjWVkHz7pY

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Guy Goodbody posted:

Isn't there a tree in Australia where the sap is a neurotoxin and the bark causes rashes and the leaves are a third kind of poisonous?
Is there a venomous tree?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Sometimes when I see something that's too stupid I can feel a physiological reaction to it. I want to roll my eyes irl literally. Anyway, the point is that I almost always used to do this when reading conservatives.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Condiv posted:

if macron is guillotined, is that regicide or deicide?

Both.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Condiv posted:

is this your first encounter with the american media

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Condiv posted:

liberals loving love war

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

We are going to be balls deep in North Korea by the end of the year, aren't we

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
i personally can't wait to see all the pundits writing pieces about how destabilizing NK is "necessary"

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

the atlantic is terrible and bad

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

the iraq war boosters learned nothing

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Condiv posted:

Jeffrey Mark Goldberg (born September 22, 1965) is an American journalist and the editor-in-chief of The Atlantic. During his nine years at The Atlantic prior to becoming editor, Goldberg became known for his coverage of foreign affairs. He has won many awards and written eleven cover stories for the magazine.

He attended the University of Pennsylvania, where he was editor-in-chief of The Daily Pennsylvanian.[5] While at Penn he worked at the Hillel kitchen serving lunch to students. He left college to move to Israel, where he served in the Israeli Defense Forces as a prison guard during the First Intifada at Ktzi'ot Prison, a prison camp set up to hold arrested Palestinian participants in the uprising. There he met Rafiq Hijazi, a Palestine Liberation Organization leader, college math teacher and devout Muslim from a refugee camp in the Gaza Strip, whom Goldberg describes as "the only Palestinian I could find in Ketziot who understood the moral justification for Zionism".[5]

In 2002, Goldberg's "The Great Terror" published in The New Yorker argued that the threat posed to America by Saddam Hussein was significant, discussing the possible connection between Saddam Hussein and Al Qaeda as well as the Iraqi nuclear program, averring that there was "some debate among arms-control experts about exactly when Saddam will have nuclear capabilities. But there is no disagreement that Iraq, if unchecked, will have them soon...There is little doubt what Saddam might do with an atomic bomb or with his stocks of biological and chemical weapons."[45]

In a late 2002 debate in Slate on the question "Should the U.S. invade Iraq, Goldberg argued in favor of an invasion on a moral basis, writing, "So: Saddam Hussein is uniquely evil, the only ruler in power today—and the first one since Hitler—to commit chemical genocide. Is that enough of a reason to remove him from power? I would say yes, if "never again" is in fact actually to mean "never again."[73]

Glenn Greenwald called Goldberg "one of the leading media cheerleaders for the attack on Iraq", claiming Goldberg had "compiled a record of humiliating falsehood-dissemination in the run-up to the war that rivaled Judy Miller's both in terms of recklessness and destructive impact."[74] In 2008, in an article in Slate entitled "How Did I Get Iraq Wrong?", Goldberg explained the reasons behind his initial support of the Iraq War and wrote that he "didn't realize how incompetent the Bush administration could be."[75]

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i found this to be a pretty interesting read even if i dont agree with the author's historical analysis of elections decades past. however i feel they bring up an excellent point in that neither "whites are racists" nor "voters want progressive policies" fully explains the outcome of 2016.

if you factor age into it i feel things begin to make a little more sense i feel. young voters overwhelmingly want progressive policies as seen by obama's 08 numbers and that sanders won primary states were youth turnout, particularly 18-30, was a couple of points higher. the key, i believe, isn't that progressive policies are going to win over the racists that jumped ship in the 70s and 80s and now make up the republicans strongest voting bloc. progressive policies however will turn out the youth vote (who almost reached double digits in their voting for 3rd parties in 2016) and provide a path for a victory

That was an interesting read; well researched, bipartisan and informative. It was a good review of Presidential politics that have lead us to where we are today but, it is only relevant to Presidential politics. Most of the hand wringing and pearl clutching in Democratic politics today tends to center around Presidential politics and that's the exact wrong thing to focus on.

Political parties are not built from the top down, they are built from the bottom up. That's why third party candidates suck balls, one person at the top can't start or sustain a party. What works in running for President won't necessarily and many times doesn't work on the local level or even statewide level. What wins in Vermont or some district in Minnesota is not necessarily going to win in Houston or Allentown. Democrats are, even still today, a broad coalition of disparate groups, Republicans are not. Democrats, by necessity, have to be flexible in their party positions, Republicans do not. What wins you the Presidency will not necessarily win you a governing majority.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Scent of Worf posted:

i personally can't wait to see all the pundits writing pieces about how destabilizing NK is "necessary"

I live on the east coast so let's get this party started.

Sorry Cali goons, maybe one of you can crash on my couch when your city gets nuked into a glowing hellscape.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The Nastier Nate posted:

Sorry Cali goons, maybe one of you can crash on my couch when your city gets nuked into a glowing hellscape.

I look forward to LA anime.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i feel like magazine subscriptions are paid for only by doctor's offices at this point lol

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

the iraq war boosters learned nothing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3b6SGoN6dA

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

The Nastier Nate posted:

lol like NK's old and busted poo poo is going to hit tokyo let alone san francisco

:rip: seoul tho

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

That Atlantic cover is a loving embarrassment.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Condiv posted:

anyway, https://twitter.com/michaelarria/status/871865139368259585

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

hmmm, let's see what this dude had to write on iraq

quote:

I believe we should attack Saddam Hussein as soon as possible. I think we should have done so already. So long as an outlaw regime like his possesses weapons of mass destruction, and terrorist groups like al-Qaida seek to use them, the danger of even more horrendous terrorist attacks is real and present. Many people around the world feel comfortable that Saddam's differences with Muslim fanatics would prevent him from supplying them with such weapons, even though the United States is the sworn enemy of both. Others want to believe that after a decade of defiance, Saddam has suddenly, secretly, complied with U.N. demands that he destroy his arsenals. I don't.
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2003/02/roll_call.single.html

quote:

The Bush Administration has adopted exactly the right posture on the matter. Candor and consistency are not always public virtues. Torture is a crime against humanity, but coercion is an issue that is rightly handled with a wink, or even a touch of hypocrisy; it should be banned but also quietly practiced. Those who protest coercive methods will exaggerate their horrors, which is good: it generates a useful climate of fear. It is wise of the President to reiterate U.S. support for international agreements banning torture, and it is wise for American interrogators to employ whatever coercive methods work. It is also smart not to discuss the matter with anyone.
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2003/10/the-dark-art-of-interrogation/302791/

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

hmm which of your three houses is this, bernie "literally part of the 1%" sanders???????????????

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

he's a nice guy irl but man, Exum's writing some dumb poo poo these days

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

ah, not enough forever war

of course that's why the Democrats keep losing!!!

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

That Atlantic cover is a loving embarrassment.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

on the next atlantic cover a cgi putin sitting in the oval office while a nude donald trump licks his toes for the article When Will Putin Stop Owning Us?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

We MUST invade the country of Chad immediately. WHO CAN STOP CHAD, THE DESTROYER

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
the only chad i've ever met was a crackhead who used to play in a band with a couple of the dudes from mushroomhead

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Slavery is horrible of course, but it's also awesome, so obviously the correct approach is to have slaves but never ever tell anyone about them.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

We MUST invade the country of Chad immediately. WHO CAN STOP CHAD, THE DESTROYER

If it hadn't been for CHAD we would have had a GORE PRESIDENCY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

FactsAreUseless posted:

the only thing chad destroys is bud light

• Locked thread