Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Emperordaein posted:

Obviously the city walls will be discovered centuries later by Black Hole, and have their materials broken down and replicated to build their pipe systems.

Also, weird how Ryoma has nothing to say if Takumi attacks him.

Weirder how Inigo has nothing to say if Severa attacks him.

You had one job...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Weirder how Inigo has nothing to say if Severa attacks him.

You had one job...
Not to mention this is the first story chapter after recruiting her, when you'd have a best chance to do something like that. Hell, you could have lost both Saizo and Kagero in the previous map, but no, they manage to get conversations with Ryoma in this stage.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Emperordaein posted:

Obviously the city walls will be discovered centuries later by Black Hole, and have their materials broken down and replicated to build their pipe systems.

Also, weird how Ryoma has nothing to say if Takumi attacks him.
Or Sakura, if you promote her early or reclass her. Heck, you think he'd have something to say to Orochi and Reina too, considering they were his dead mom's retainers.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. I wonder if they planned out the gimmick before they put in the units. That map sure seems like you can chokepoint the gently caress out of some bridges.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

You won't see Hoshido waver! We'll fight until there's no one left!

I...dunno what you expected there. But then again, we have a track record on bad plans with you.

Ryoma! Xander! Please, you both have to listen to me! We've defeated the real enemy—you don't need to fight each other now!
Whoever retreats now admits defeat! Nohr will never lose to Hoshido.
This war will continue until we take our last breath!
You can't be serious! Xander! Ryoma!

They are way more gung ho about the war without Corrine at either side, apparently.

You are the ocean's gray waves... ♪
Huh? ...That song...

This Singing business sure has a lot of applications.

Is this...some kind of spell?
It can't be... Azura?
Azura? What are you—
Ugh...gh... What is this feeling...

Oh. Straight up pacification. What can't she do with the power of song??

*pant...pant...*
Azura! Are you all right?!
...I'm fine. You don't need to worry. My songs have a special power. It's just... It's really exhausting to use one of them.
You stopped them with that power?

Just couldn't be helped :shrug:

Ryoma, Xander... It wasn't Nohr or Hoshido who destroyed this town. It was done by the invisible forces that we just defeated. Now that they are gone, I will not allow any more senseless violence.

What the hell, you can straight up call out on the enemies? This seems like a super lax "curse" to me.

Wow, that power sure would've been useful back when Corrin fought Xander.

Do you still insist on fighting?
This calm feeling... I can barely lift my sword...
I have to clear my head...

*Time passes as both army retreats*

Come to the suspension bridge at the Bottomless Canyon! Come on the day the skies change above Hoshido and Nohr!
That really isn't a compelling reason to walk into what could be a Hoshidan trap.

Eh....I guess it looks that way since we have 70% Hoshidan forces so far.

I'm sorry. I wish I could say more, really. But you'll understand when you get there. If you come there, I'll be able to tell you the truth. I want us to fight on the same side...to save the world together!
You abandoned the family that raised you, Corrine. I have no reason to trust you.

You RAISED her by KIDNAPPING her. Nobody brings this up as an issue.

Tch. Speak quickly—you are trying my patience.
We met with Archduke Izana. He said "Go meet the dragon." Do you have any idea what he might have meant by that?
Why would I tell a traitor like you anything of value?

*Xander and company leave*

Xander...
It'll be fine, Corrine. I'm sure he'll come. Let's believe in him too, OK?
OK, Camilla. I hope you're right.

Xander is seriously the worst.

*A moment later*

Hey, someone listened to us!

You're really tying to stop this senseless fighting and save both Hoshido and Nohr?
Yes. Though I cannot tell you any more about my motivations right now...
Ha... You really are asking for my trust, aren't you? You can't explain why, but you want me to follow?
I know it's a lot to ask, Ryoma.
Hahahaha! What a funny girl.
Ah, you're...

I'm from an anti-Nohrian resistance group in Cheve. I joined up with Ryoma there and came along when he heard about Cyrkensia. Ryoma's talked my ears off about what happened to you as a kid.

Whoah, rude. Rude, but true.

There's nothing idealistic about ending this horrible war.
Heh. Well, you got good eyes, at least. They're like Ryoma's. Eyes that can't lie.
Sure, why not. I'll follow you.
What?! Scarlet!
You got something to say, Ryoma? She's your kid sister, right? Even I can see that's reason enough to trusther.
...Thank you, Scarlet.
Corrine, I don't think I can quite—
Listen up, Corrine. It's like this. Ryoma and I are going to head to Castle Shirasagi. I'll lecture him on what's what on the way there.

Heehee... What's going on, Ryoma? It seems you aren't your usual calm self when it comes to Scarlet.

Okay. Either this was really hidden in Birthright or this a Revelation thing.

Geesh... Just don't act so embarrassing in front of Hinoka, all right? She's waiting for everyone back home.
Hmph.
Takumi, Sakura, take care of yourselves. Promise me you won't die.
We'll be alright.
I promise.

When we spoke to Archduke Izana, he told us to "go meet the dragon." Do you know what he might have meant? Anything will help, legends or otherwise...
What? A dragon? I'm sorry, I don't know anything about dragons.

NO

The who?

NO ONE. IGNORE IT. MOVE ON.

Oh, that's a wonderful idea. The Rainbow Sage is said to be very wise. However, I've heard that he is very, very picky about who he meets with. Only incredibly powerful people are given an audience.
Really?

The first is the former King of Hoshido, King Sumeragi... The second was King Garon, when he was quite a bit younger. The third was a knight whose name isn't known to anyone. And lastly... Xander.

He withheld it from you, Hoshidan Scum

So he may actually know something and is just refusing to tell us...
I'm not sure...but he didn't outright deny knowing anything earlier.
...Notre Sagesse. We need as much information as we can get. Let's go pay the sage a visit.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

why did they like the rainbow sage enough to put him in every route

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Endorph posted:

Plot critical. The Yato(s) couldn't be upgraded by just any old dude.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I wonder if the Rainbow Sage knows what's up with the secret invisible mastermind dimension.

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013

Endorph posted:

He's the hubba of this game, but less thirsty

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bruceski posted:

Plot critical. The Yato(s) couldn't be upgraded by just any old dude.

But it CAN upgrade itself with the power of friendship if the Rainbow Sage is dead. So, why do we need him again?

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

chiasaur11 posted:

But it CAN upgrade itself with the power of friendship if the Rainbow Sage is dead. So, why do we need him again?
Because he has to unlock the upgrading mechanism, of course.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Shei-kun posted:

Because he has to unlock the upgrading mechanism, of course.

But it turns out the upgrading mechanism was inside us all along! So, again. Need him. Why:

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Seriously, why couldn't we get Ryoma and Scarlet together in Birthright? Why is she Corrinsexual? They took one of the cooler characters and destroyed any chance at a personality she might have by giving her no supports.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

chiasaur11 posted:

But it turns out the upgrading mechanism was inside us all along! So, again. Need him. Why:

What? No it wasn't. We needed him to set it up, or else we would have gotten an upgraded sword way earlier in Birthright.

PassingPie
Aug 18, 2013

Rogue 7 posted:

Seriously, why couldn't we get Ryoma and Scarlet together in Birthright? Why is she Corrinsexual? They took one of the cooler characters and destroyed any chance at a personality she might have by giving her no supports.

I didn't see anything in the first playthrough that indicated they were even remotely friendly. He just heard that there was a rebellion against Nohr happening somewhere and ran off to co-opt it. His formal introduction to her was funny in a terrible sort of way.

"Oh please, no need for formalities, you may simply call me Lord Ryoma."

And she did!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

PassingPie posted:

I didn't see anything in the first playthrough that indicated they were even remotely friendly. He just heard that there was a rebellion against Nohr happening somewhere and ran off to co-opt it. His formal introduction to her was funny in a terrible sort of way.

"Oh please, no need for formalities, you may simply call me Lord Ryoma."

And she did!

He said that with bedroom eyes.

She didn't get it.

Ryoma is the worst at everything that isn't fighting.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Can we just...not go there this one time. Please.

Maybe it'll be different like last mission! Or maybe it'll be different like Izumo...

Hello, Iago. It's a rare thing for you to greet me upon my return.
Is it? My apologies for being so inconsiderate. Though I'm surprised you returned at all. I heard about what happened in Nestra. You failed to kill the traitor as our king demands...
I have no time for this now. I need to report to Father.

Did Hans and Iago ever interact directly in Conquest?

Would you agree, Hans?
That could be true of the others, but not Lord Xander. He's Nohrian to the bone. And he did turn down Corrine's plea to join...
And yet Princess Camilla joined in a heartbeat. It's disgusting how taken she is with Corrine. If we aren't careful, we risk losing more of the royal children. It would be wise to keep a closer eye on that merry, traitorous little army.

Elise is just hiding everywhere apparently.

I knew Corrine wasn't really a traitor... Time for me to act, too!

Not two seconds after Iago yells it, another royal kid goes to Corrine. Whoops.

*A moment later*

I wanted to speak with you about Father. He seems to have gotten worse...
Not another word, Leo. Father is just under the weather—that's all. You know how war can weigh on the body and spirit. Once we win, he'll recover.

Xander is the dog sitting in a burning house, saying "Everything's fine."

I understand what you're saying, but... I don't know if you'll feel the same after you see this.
What's he—?

Uh...what's going on

Mwaha...hahaha...
Father?
The war...must continue. It must spread... Burn it all... Burn everything to the ground. Not even...ashes should remain.
Father! What's wrong?!

Um...why is he going crazy now? I'm pretty sure Azura didn't use her song to theoretically rattle his physical form.

What?!
Both nations are completely useless to me... This entire world should be...reduced to nothing but dust! Gwahahahaha... MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA! HA HA HA HA HA!
...Father.

No, seriously. The hell's happening? Why now?

It's like he's become a completely different person. Like...he's being controlled by something.
You really think he's being controlled?
Yes. When I saw Corrine in Izumo, she said something that's stuck with me. She claimed that there is a hidden enemy we should be fighting... And that Father is being manipulated and controlled by that enemy. I dismissed /her words as the lies of a traitor.

Xander, I'm not certain we should be fighting the Hoshidan forces. Even if it means becoming enemies of Nohr...
Enough of this foolishness!
!!

"DO NOT BETRAY FATHER FOR HE HIS NOHR"

*Father literally says DESTROY NOHR*

"EVERYTHING'S FINE. SHUT UP"

Good job, Xander.

Remember that.
I apologize for my words, Brother.
No need to apologize, so long as you understand. You and I must do all we can to protect Nohr.

We need to be at the Bottomless Canyon on the day the skies change. We have until then to gather our most trusted soldiers.
What are you planing to do, Xander?

God, he's the most spineless rear end in a top hat ever.

The best map of Conquest is being re-used. Disappointing, but at least the layout is still cool.

Yes. We need to find a ferry that will take us to Notre Sagesse...
There you are, Princess Corrine! We've finally tracked you down!

Takumi only speaks up here is because this was his map.

Oh right, you. Man, this is waaaaaay later than usual.

One of the few times the enemy is talking from their starting position, but this makes it awkward. Do they have megaphones from Miriel?

A long time...? What are you talking about?
King Garon has ordered your death. Now that we've found you, we cannot allow you to leave here alive.
It's tragic, really. It's been so many years since I've seen you, and when I finally meet you again... Well, no one should have to kill their best friend.
Best friend? Wait, are you talking about...me and you?

You don't even remember me?! I...I suppose that's for the best. Memories of our childhood will only make doing what must be done more difficult. Draw your sword, Corrine!

Silas has betrayed in both routes, if you think about it.

*Someone arrives*

Oh good, another healer. Jakob was being awkward with being my best combat unit AND my only healer.

E-Elise?!
What are you doing here?!
Camilla! Yay! I was sure I'd find you with Corrine. I've come to join you on your adventure!
J-join us? I'm glad to hear that, but... How did you get Xander and Leo to let you leave?
Oh, that was easy.

Simple is the best sometimes.

What?!
No, Elise, I won't allow it. This is an incredibly dangerous war zone. I failed my mission, so I had no choice but to flee. You still have a place to call home. Go back while you can.
No! I won't go! I'm going to fight with you! I wan to help!
Elise...
OK, I can see that I won't be able to convince you. I'll let Corrine make this decision.
Elise... coming with us means you'll constantly face danger. And...it's possible that we will end up fighting Xander and Leo at some point. Knowing that, are you sure you still want to come with us?

I had this feeling that you would need me to come and help you. Everyone in the castle was calling the two of you evil traitors... But I don't believe that you or Camilla are capable of being evil.
I trust both of you. I trust that your reasons are good ones. You're my family.
Elise...
OK. I'll happily welcome you. Thank you for coming after me even though I ran away from you... Let's fight together. I promise I'll protect you.
Yay! Thank you, Corrine!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLXkEYoMito

And that's the final CG sibling cutscene.

It's really, really random.

I'm so glad you're all right. I was worried sick when I found out you left...
Aww, I'm sorry about that! Please accept my apologies, both of you.
Elise... Who are these people?
Oh! These are my retainers. They'll be joining us as well. I forgot that this is probably your first time meeting them.
The tall guy is Arthur. He's really unlucky, but he's got a good heart.

We meant to arrive sooner, but we lost our map after setting out.
And then we lost our backup map. And then our emergency map.
And this is Effie. She's really strong and kind, and she's my best friend.

I'll crush our enemies with my bare hands if I have to!
Th-that's great to hear. We're happy to have you both. And you too, Elise.
Yay! Everything is going well!

We've got to get to Notre Sagesse as soon as possible. There isn't much time left before the skies change... Now...what was their leader saying about being my best friend?
I don't remember him at all...

So the defense map of Conquest 10 is just a rout mission. And no Dragon Vein tricks. So it lost a lot of its bite.

No votes this time, since every party member coincidentally fits the deployment slots needed for this mission.

Units Joined

->
->
->

General summary is that all three got meh levels, but all are severely underleveled compared to the map itself. Average stats of the enemy are 13-15 with a bunch of promoted units. Even more glaring when Keaton and Kaden joined way higher on the very recent chapter.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
The fact that Garon has gone extra insane early comes of as both really random, dumb, and oddly hilarious to me. I also like how Leo is like "uh dude, this might be a problem"

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Xander :ughh:

Elise always is the best though.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Well, Vallite forces never attacked Nestra in the other routes either. I think that Anankos began by sending troops to take a more active control over the situation now that Corrine isn't anyplace he expected her to be, and now he's tripping over himself.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

As if this wasn't a stripped-down version of Conquest 10, there's one more issue that drags this stage down further: two of the three recruitable characters need to be recruit by the severely underleveled Elise (the third joins automatically after the stage, by the way).

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I got to admit I did smile when Elise joined up.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
At least it doesn't matter that Elise is underleveled since her PSkill and staff use with that massive Magic growth don't care about that at all.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I can't believe how ridiculous Xander is. When Garon is literally talking about burning the country that you love to the ground, maybe take it as a hint that something is wrong rather than sticking your fingers in your ears and pretending nothing is wrong. It just makes him seem so dumb and it legitimately surprises me that the writing is THIS bad.

When Elise seems to be the most competent sibling, something is wrong.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Tae posted:

Xander is the dog sitting in a burning house, saying "Everything's fine."

Yep, checks out.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

jimmydalad posted:

I can't believe how ridiculous Xander is. When Garon is literally talking about burning the country that you love to the ground, maybe take it as a hint that something is wrong rather than sticking your fingers in your ears and pretending nothing is wrong. It just makes him seem so dumb and it legitimately surprises me that the writing is THIS bad.

When Elise seems to be the most competent sibling, something is wrong.

Yeah, this is monumentally worse than Birthright Xander, which is pretty impressive.

Emperordaein
Jul 1, 2013
That's it. It's over. Done. Any hope, any slightly, barely visible scrap of hope that one could take the Nohrian family drama seriously just evaporated. Because... How can you go from there. How can you go from the big bad manically cackling in his throne room about destroying the world, his two 'sons' (Not technically sons by now) walking in, and him yelling at them to go away before he continues. And one of them still has doubts. This is something i'd make as a PARODY, and they're using it as a serious plot point!

I've seen the defense for Xander's behaviour that it's about him suffering under abuse with his siblings. And I can indeed see that. Except they bungle it so many ways, from Garon being laughably evil, to Xander going to absolutely despicable, hypocritical depths that destroy the image of him being the troubled big brother hero that the game wants you to see it as. And then we have this scene, turning the Nohrian family drama into a big joke. If this is supposed to be a story about abuse, it's a pretty loving demeaning one.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
This goes beyond loyalty into full blown stupidity.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Maybe Xander realizes there's a huge problem and is just pretending to be loyal because he knows Iago is watching?

Emperordaein
Jul 1, 2013
If he is, Iago is doing a poo poo job, given he let Elise both overhear him, and slip away under his watch.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Maybe we can just, like, destroy the poo poo parts of Nohr and he'll be fine with that? -- Xander, probably

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Any time you try to rationalize the plot of this game, you've put more thought into it than the writers did

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Garon and Xander are the dumbest double act.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

I'm not sure why everyone thinks that Xander is just ignoring this, since right after he see Garon being crazy, he says:

Tae posted:

We need to be at the Bottomless Canyon on the day the skies change. We have until then to gather our most trusted soldiers.

It sounds to me like he is going to meet up with Corrine after all.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

BlazeEmblem posted:

I'm not sure why everyone thinks that Xander is just ignoring this, since right after he see Garon being crazy, he says:

It sounds to me like he is going to meet up with Corrine after all.

I thought he was preparing an ambush?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

U-DO Burger posted:

Maybe Xander realizes there's a huge problem and is just pretending to be loyal because he knows Iago is watching?

He's doing a bad job of it if he's also disclosing the location on where to meet Corrine with, then.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

for guys who love bitching about writing nobody in this thread understands fiction

what xander is gathering his troops for is supposed to ambiguous. it's supposed to make the player think 'is he coming to help me or hurt me.' every line xander has after evil coughing dad is super ambiguous. 'we must do all we can to protect nohr,' from corrin or from evil dad. heck, the 'we must protect father' line is ambiguous since if garon is being controlled by something then betraying him at this point could be construed as 'protecting' garon since it'd be an attempt to free him from whatever's controlling him.

the scene literally ends with leo asking what hes planning to do and then fading to black.

the entire scene is incredibly terribly written but c'mon.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Endorph posted:

for guys who love bitching about writing nobody in this thread understands fiction

what xander is gathering his troops for is supposed to ambiguous. it's supposed to make the player think 'is he coming to help me or hurt me.' every line xander has after evil coughing dad is super ambiguous. 'we must do all we can to protect nohr,' from corrin or from evil dad. heck, the 'we must protect father' line is ambiguous since if garon is being controlled by something then betraying him at this point could be construed as 'protecting' garon since it'd be an attempt to free him from whatever's controlling him.

the scene literally ends with leo asking what hes planning to do and then fading to black.

the entire scene is incredibly terribly written but c'mon.

Except it reads astonishingly like Xander's somehow STILL planning to work for Garon despite confirmation that said impostor wants to go beyond killing his enemies by wiping all life off the face of the planet (though Garon even letting that slip is unbelievably bad writing- possibly even worse than The Chair Plan); the biggest evidence for this is how harshly he shut Leo down when he started wondering if Corrine was telling the truth- not something a writer should do when he wants to be ambiguous, even if he's using it to cover his own insecurities. I, for one, can't really see it any other way because of that (though at least this time I have no intention of pursuing this issue any further; either I've learned from that probation- and incidentally, I feel I owe Tae an apology for escalating things so far- or I've just given up on Fates).

Of course, there's something else you guys seem to be overlooking: How the HELL did Elise find Corrine so fast?! Conquest had the excuse of her following you, likely mere hours later at most, and in Birthright you ran into her by sheer coincidence... but here she just teleported halfway across the world with no real explanation. (Yes, I know, this happens a lot, so you guys might be desensitized by now, but still.)

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Endorph posted:

I understand fiction just fine. I recognize that all of Xander's lines post Garron's 'MWAH HA HAH'-ing are ambiguous.
However not only is it done poorly, because of the shoddy writing of the other two paths there's a distinct lack of faith here that would let this ambiguity achieve it's desired effect.

Could really have used some more non-verbal communication (IE: showing Xander is acting noticeably different than usual to let Leo know he's putting on airs and to give more evidence to the Audience for that) but whatevs.

I'm waiting to see the payoff to see if this lot of writers is better than the other paths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Elise being adorable helps with some of the horrible writing.

But only some.

• Locked thread