Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Dr. Fetus posted:

It wasn't a cutscene boss. Absolute Virtue had a random chance of spawning after killing another specific boss. (Nowadays it's guaranteed to spawn, but not when it was first released.) Absolute Virtue didn't have a grand entrance indicating that it was meant to be unkillable.

Furthermore, it has defeat speech text and a title granted for killing it in the game from day one.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

E: Was this C-Team of devs who hosed up AV and then the first iteration of FF14 fired from Final Fantasy games or from Square-Enix entirely when they got sacked? I hope the latter.

Project lead Tanaka left later on for "health reasons", which a lot of people at the time assumed was a euphemism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

krisslanza posted:

You know, I think EverQuest did this? They had an unkillable boss, for plot reasons. But at least that was kind enough to let you be aware of that. AV is just a horrible, horrid mess. It's like they saw One Sin from .hack, and thought "let's copy it!"
Forgetting that One Sin was actually defeatable.
And they didn't ban people for beating it. :v:

I don't really "get" MMOs, but everything about Absolute Virtue is amazing. It's like the devs figured out how to weaponize spite.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Bruceski posted:

They approached the MMO problem of "we spend years on new content, and then people kill it 24 hours after launch and whine about wanting more stuff" (a problem to which I don't think there's ANY good solution) and "solved" it in the worst possible way.

It's worth mentioning that Absolute Virtue was technically in the game since the release of Chains of Promathia, but it actually took like 6 months for people to reach Absolute Virtue. To make him spawn you had to kill your way up a list of Notorious Monsters (overworld bosses) who were at launch brutally hard, and as previously stated AV itself only had a 50% chance to spawn initially.

The obnoxious part was that the final link on the other Notorious Monster chain was Pandemonium Warden (he of the "players literally being hospitalized the fight took so long") was actually mortal and could be killed conventionally.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

People tried coordinating 18 Scholars to cast Modus Veritas at the same time to kill it in one hit. MV doubled the tick damage of a Scholar's DoT spell, but halved the duration. The strategy relied upon trying to time it with server ticks such that even the halved-many-times duration would tick once and only once and deal its entire HP in one shot.

The strategy was never given a chance to be tried, sadly. Alexander came out soon after and that's what allowed players to weather the immense storm of damage and kill the loving thing.

I think I knew people started using Alexander to beat Absolute Virtue, but again Alexander was released as a thing you could summon some Five Years after AV dropped and in the same era where the level cap was being raised above 75. Basically SE worked to make Absolute Virtue basically unkillable for as long as they drat well could.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

krisslanza posted:

You know, I think EverQuest did this? They had an unkillable boss, for plot reasons.

If I'm thinking of the same story, then yes, that was a thing. And players killed it. Then the devs shut off the servers to figure out what happened. It also didn't drop loot.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I don't have anything in particular to contribute to discussion about Absolute Virtue in particular, but if you're interested in insane MMO stories I'd like to recommend the Wildstar thread over in MMO HMO. Wildstar was a MMO made by ~former World of Warcraft~ devs that was created with the intention of making an MMO for people who were idiots that were nostalgic for the old days of hardcore raiding. It's since turned into a more general thread for complaints about MMOs or discussion about really bad ones, but it's worth a skim through it or any of the previous incarnations.

Wildstar Highlights:
  • At launch, the game featured this as an attunement process. In other words, if you wanted to do endgame raiding, you had to complete this entire process. On each individual character you made that you wanted to raid with. However long you think this would take to complete, double it at bare minimum. This is a graphic put together by one of the hardcore raiding teams to streamline the process for their members.

• There was a bug where if you were a guild leader, you could mysteriously lose your attunement progress while trying to complete all of that.
  • The devs had no way to fix the attunement bug, in part because they had no way to rollback the servers, so the official response was recommending you just make a new character and restart the process. Attunement could take weeks to complete by the way, if you hadn't guessed. They did give you a 10% exp boost if you choose to do so, though!
  • One of the major features of Wildstar is ~hardcore~ raiding, so there is/was a raid that required forty people simultaneously queuing to start/finish. No one was able to beat it until nearly a year after launch because of a combination of it being ridiculously overtuned and the general difficulty of coordinating 40 people together at the same time in a guild to participate in it. When a group finally managed to finish it after nearly a year, a dev by the name of Timetravel had this to say about it in the second response there: https://www.reddit.com/r/WildStar/comments/2ts9rz/40m_world_first_avatus_enigma/co1zwrs/. I could post it here, but it's so much better if you click through and see it for yourself.
  • At one point the devs claimed they couldn't beat their own raids, in an attempt to talk about how insanely difficult they were. Someone asked the obvious response to that on Reddit, and this was the response of the community:

Of course, this is ignoring things like the economy being absolutely screwed from day one because of a bug where people could sell things to ingame vendors for tons of money, which could then be turned into gametime (since it was a monthly subscription back then). Basically, the MMO genre has by and large committed suicide (link only tangentially related but I love that article).

But that's the last I'll post about it since this is insanely derailed at this point.

Wrist Watch fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jul 4, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Hahahaha, holy poo poo.

quote:

That attitude alone is why your game deserves to fail (and is). Not to mention all the other problems :)
:agreed:

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Oh wait, I forgot one of the best parts of that.

DrTugjobs there is actually a goon. The subreddit was looking for more moderators sometime after that, and he applied for the position despite stating that he doesn't even play the game. He got the position regardless so they could have an "impartial" mod there, and is still a mod to this day.

Ok, now I'm done derailing

Wrist Watch fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jul 4, 2017

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

SSNeoman posted:

If I'm thinking of the same story, then yes, that was a thing. And players killed it. Then the devs shut off the servers to figure out what happened. It also didn't drop loot.

If you're talking about the big rear end dragon you got the order of events wrong.

What happened is that when the boss was down to like 23% the servers unexpectedly went down. The devs to this day swear up, down, and around that they did not deliberately shut down the servers to keep the boss from being killed, they claim it was just a SUPREMELY unfortunate accident. For what it's worth when the servers came back up people actually did go and promptly (well "promptly", it was an hours long affair) killed the boss.

The strategy for that was was actually kind of simple: The boss instantly kills the crap out of whatever he touches so just have dozens and dozens of healers constantly spamming resurrection spells.

As for Wildstar... Who boy...

When Wildstar launched it was announced that it would take 6 months to complete their first raid tier. This turned out not to be a "we think it will be that long to reach and complete" but a "We are going to make sure it takes that long by hook or by crook". People who actually made it through attunement hell and go into the raids reported that some bosses were literally impossible, as in it was not actually mathematically possible to do enough damage in the time allotted to kill the bosses. The devs explicitly nerfed one item because it let people boost their DPS to kill a boss that was not supposed to be killable yet. Yes, the developers were completely candid that the boss that was killed was killed too early, that the hardcore raiders had to sit on their hands and check back week after week to see if Carbine had deigned to make their boss mortal. Raid groups also reported that bosses would change week from week, often drastically. They would go in and raid bosses could be completely different with absolutely no warning.

The real reason Timetraveller's gif response to the world's first clear is so maddening is that Timetraveller was the dude in charge of the raid design. He was the guy who made them LITERALLY IMPOSSIBLE in the first place, and when people perservered through his bullshit and waited until the raid was finally actually possible his response wasn't "good job" or "thanks for hanging in there", it was "git gud loser".

And Wildstar has a very special fanbase. The Wildstar Subreddit for the longest time had a mod named Franbunny who absolutely REFUSED to have Wildstar go Free To Play, and so when the news broke it was doing that Franbunny put a clampdown on it. She deleted every post about it, including posts by the DEVELOPERS. Developers on Wildstar who actually showed their legitimate credentials were kicked off the Wildstar Subreddit because they were going to mention the payment model shift Franbunny absolutely REFUSED to accept that Wildstar would F2P. That's why DrTugjobs got in as Reddit mod, a person who said "I don't play this game and I don't even like it" was a remarkable step up from the previous reddit mod.

And now I think I'm also done with talking about other bad games.

Omnicrom fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 4, 2017

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Commander Keene posted:

Maybe not, but you probably have to fight six Wonder Guard Spiritombs or something equally bullshit to get the watering can.

Finally, an in-game use for Simple Beam / Entrainment!

I love Simple Beam, it's amazingly good at loving up strategies that revolve around Pokemon abilities, which most of these "hard" fangames seem to over-use. It's a pity Simple Beam isn't a TM move and that the fastest Simple Beam user is Linoone (followed by Genesect and Xatu), with only Genesect learning the move naturally. You have to breed it onto Linoone and Xatu.

Entrainment's easier since Plusle and Minun learn in naturally and match Xatu's 95 speed, Dedenne is faster than Linoone (but potentially has a good ability you wouldn't want to pass on in Cheek Pouch), but Lopunny's the fastest and can pass around Klutz provided you don't want to use Mega Lopunny. I'm also a fan of Entrainment Araquanid. It's a surprisingly chufty tank and being able to pass Water Bubble to steel types or physical attackers that can't afford to eat burns in doubles is pretty nice.

I'd love to see some super-boss's strat completely ruined this way, it'd make my day. Contrary + Overheat/Superpower/Etc? Enjoy your doubled stat drop, dropping your held item, or empowering a friend if it has the "Plus" ability!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 4, 2017

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Finally, an in-game use for Simple Beam / Entrainment!

I love Simple Beam, it's amazingly good at loving up strategies that revolve around Pokemon abilities, which most of these "hard" fangames seem to over-use. It's a pity Simple Beam isn't a TM move and that the fastest Simple Beam user is Linoone (followed by Genesect and Xatu), with only Genesect learning the move naturally. You have to breed it onto Linoone and Xatu.

Entrainment's easier since Plusle and Minun learn in naturally and match Xatu's 95 speed, Dedenne is faster than Linoone (but potentially has a good ability you wouldn't want to pass on in Cheek Pouch), but Lopunny's the fastest and can pass around Klutz provided you don't want to use Mega Lopunny. I'm also a fan of Entrainment Araquanid. It's a surprisingly chufty tank and being able to pass Water Bubble to steel types or physical attackers that can't afford to eat burns in doubles is pretty nice.

I'd love to see some super-boss's strat completely ruined this way, it'd make my day. Contrary + Overheat/Superpower/Etc? Enjoy your doubled stat drop, dropping your held item, or empowering a friend if it has the "Plus" ability!

Knowing the devs of Reborn, they'd probably remove that ability from the game or change it, or make their super bosses immune to it or something.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
That's the beauty of it, they never do.

Simple Beam / Entrainment are "trash" moves because their gimmick is extremely limited. They're so far below anyone's radar that, in Pokemon Showdown, when you obliterate someone's "amazing" doubles Wonder Guard / Justified / Contrary strategy with a single application of Simple Beam they tend to concede in shock.

They're so rarely used I'm pretty sure there're plenty of people who have no idea what they even do.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

My favorite Entrainment strategy is using it with Truant Durant. It just wrecks battle facilities, or at least it did in gen 5 & I think 6. Throw out entrainment on a pokemon, switch and set up (alternating between your move of choice and protect) because the AI doesn't realize it's better to switch out, then off it goes.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

krisslanza posted:

Knowing the devs of Reborn, they'd probably remove that ability from the game or change it, or make their super bosses immune to it or something.
No, they'd just remove all Pokemon who have the ability to get either of those moves from any area or event prior to their "glorious" puzzle boss.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

Commander Keene posted:

No, they'd just remove all Pokemon who have the ability to get either of those moves from any area or event prior to their "glorious" puzzle boss.

Honestly, I'm amazed you even get an actual starter choice between every gen 1-6 starter.

Under their current design philosophy, your starter choice should be Sunkern/Litleo/Goldeen.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

the Orb of Zot posted:

Honestly, I'm amazed you even get an actual starter choice between every gen 1-6 starter.

Under their current design philosophy, your starter choice should be Sunkern/Litleo/Goldeen.
Is Litleo honestly bad enough to get lumped in with those two? Doesn't Sunkern have the lowest BST in all of the games?

* I've never played S/M, nor have I ever played (or considered playing) any Pokemon game competitively; I just know a few things through osmosis.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Commander Keene posted:

Is Litleo honestly bad enough to get lumped in with those two? Doesn't Sunkern have the lowest BST in all of the games?

* I've never played S/M, nor have I ever played (or considered playing) any Pokemon game competitively; I just know a few things through osmosis.

Litleo is thoroughly below par that evolves too late to be worth putting up with and Pyroar is pretty mediocre.

edit: As far as two stage fire-types go Pyroar is the third best but that's not a good indicator since most of them are either heavily leaning on one stat (Darmanititan, Magcargo, Flareon) or not designed to be heavy attackers (Ninetales). Pyroar is slightly physically sturdier and faster than Houndoom but he has garbage physical attack and his special attack is lower than Houndoom along with having a substandard movepool. So its main claim to fame is being better than Rapidash which is not exactly a big deal

Testekill fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jul 5, 2017

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Rainuwastaken posted:

I'm honestly surprised they gave you a Happiny there. Isn't Blissey really good?

It is a goddamn steel wall that disguised itself as a pokemon.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

In a game where stats over 100 are considered good, and over 120 are considered great, Blissey has an HP stat of 255 and a Sp. Def. stat of 135. Given it also naturally learns recovery moves, it utterly laughs at any attempt to use any special attack on it. Of course, the flip side to this is that her Def. stat is 10, and it has got Normal typing. Don't let Fighting moves come anywhere near it. Its Atk is also horrendous, which means it's only real way of damaging stuff is normally Toxic and/or Seismic Toss.

Amusingly Chansey can be even worse since it can use Eviolite, which provides a 50% boost to Def. & Sp. Def if the holder isn't a fully evolved Pokemon. Given Chansey has an HP stat of a whole 5 less than Blissey(250), and with Eviolite it hits Sp. Def of 157, you might see the absurdity.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jul 5, 2017

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Same reason why people argued Dusclops with Eviolite was legitimately tankier than it's final evolution?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Skarmory+Blissey were the absolute worst part of GSC competitive way back in the day.

Those two together with Curselax. :argh:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Regalingualius posted:

Same reason why people argued Dusclops with Eviolite was legitimately tankier than it's final evolution?
Yep. The only argument against is the loss of an itemslot. With Dusclops, that's actually a legitimate concern (Leftovers for recovery), but Chansey's got Soft-Boiled (and Wish if you're on sims),.

Dr. Fetus posted:

There's also Knock Off, which absolutely cripples both of them since it'll knock off the Eviolite with no way to get it back. Though it can be easy to see coming in some cases.
Fair.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jul 5, 2017

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
There's also Knock Off, which absolutely cripples both of them since it'll knock off the Eviolite with no way to get it back. Though it can be easy to see coming in some cases.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

the Orb of Zot posted:

Nah, Golden can learn Horn Drill

A better Water starter would be Luvdisc

Perhaps Slugma for Fire?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Vinylshadow posted:

Nah, Golden can learn Horn Drill

A better Water starter would be Luvdisc

Perhaps Slugma for Fire?

Heatmor, Quilfish, and "We couldn't find any grass in the city so here's a Trubbish!"

Heatmor is so bad it can't even beat an even-level 4x fire weak Durant, its theoretical prey.

Edit: Meant Heatmor

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jul 5, 2017

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Heatmor, Quilfish, and "We couldn't find any grass in the city so here's a Trubbish!"

Heatmor is so bad it can't even beat an even-level 4x fire weak Durant, its theoretical prey.

Edit: Meant Heatmor

Trubbish may evolve into literal garbage, but said evolution is still better than the other two. I'd say Spinarak; Ariados is completely useless outside of Sticky Web.

Alternatively, replace Heatmor with Larvesta; this game also loves having stuff that *eventually* becomes good but is garbage until evolution and takes ages to reach evolution. Larvesta is the second biggest example of that in the series, since it doesn't evolve until level 59 (first place being Cosmog, which cannot even attack until the second evolution at level 52, but that's a Gen 7 thing and not present in Reborn to begin with)

Then every single boss fight can use Stealth Rock. Or terrain that causes all bug types to immediately faint upon switching in.

the Orb of Zot fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 5, 2017

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

the Orb of Zot posted:

Trubbish may evolve into literal garbage, but said evolution is still better than the other two.

That's the joke.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Even as a joke, Trubbish is probably a better grass starter than Chikorita.

Poor, poor Chikorita...

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Its also probably better than non-Contrary Serperior. Serperior has a lot of dubious honors like 'lowest combined offensive stats' including the second lowest Atk/Sp. Atk of any starter. Or its incredibly awful movepool.

Zore fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 5, 2017

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Rainuwastaken posted:

Even as a joke, Trubbish is probably a better grass starter than Chikorita.

Poor, poor Chikorita...
I raised a Meganium that out-sped Lance's Garchomp and murdered it with trees without issue once

Chikorita Master Race

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Vinylshadow posted:

Meganium that out-sped Lance's Garchomp

How the gently caress.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Schubalts posted:

How the gently caress.
Jolly Nature with a speed-boosting characteristic with max speed IVs or something - I don't really pay attention to such things

I just know that it's not something to be mocked or underestimated

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

All of the grass starters are bad. Even the good ones.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Super Jay Mann posted:

Bulbasaur was drat good. Trivialized the first two gyms and still pretty handy for the third. One of the best grass types of its generation, barring a TM'd up exeggutor.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Bulbasaur in Gen 1 was 'easy mode'. Real Players took Charmander :colbert:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I had a butterfree on my first elite four team back then. On the other hand I also had a starmie with thunder wave, recover, psychic, and thunderbolt. So... jury's still out on my real player credentials.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Between Geodude & Onix's piss-poor Special stats and their lack of Ground/Rock moves at that level, beating Brock with Charmander really wasn't that much harder than with Squirtle/Bulbasaur.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Red Metal posted:

Between Geodude & Onix's piss-poor Special stats and their lack of Ground/Rock moves at that level, beating Brock with Charmander really wasn't that much harder than with Squirtle/Bulbasaur.

Brock, no.
Misty, on the other hand :shepface: and that goddamn stupid CHEATING BASTARD STARMIE

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, their resistance to Fire basically meant you went from one-shotting them with Bulbasaur and Squirtle to two- or three-shotting them with Charmander. It was kind of mind-blowing when I realized that a type-disadvantage Fire move could deal more damage than a type-advantage Fighting move.

I used Butterfree leveled up to have Sleep Powder and Confusion against Brock, though. Anything a Psychic move couldn't one-shot was put to sleep.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Super Jay Mann posted:

how can you not love an anklyosaur with a tree on its back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Was gonna say, Torterra is a great dino bro.

• Locked thread