Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Lechtansi posted:

Getting back on track, hows Tomb Raider 2013? I'm really enjoying Rise of the Tomb Raider, and I hear that it improves on the 2013 version in almost every way, but i'm hankering for more survival tomb raiding action so I was thinking about it (plus its only $5).

I actually liked 2013 better than Rise overall, but it has even fewer survival elements and the tombs are not even as developed as the ones in Rise. It's also missing the predator stealth and improvised weapons that were the highlight of Rise for me. On the other hand, the story is far less nonsensical, has better setpieces overall I think, and is still a really good, solid game.

To give an analogy, it's like going between Arkham City and Arkham Asylum. You'll definitely notice what's missing, and the comparatively compact game world, but what's there is still a complete package that holds up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Lechtansi posted:

Yeah, it's doing weird things for me as well. Oh well.

Getting back on track, hows Tomb Raider 2013? I'm really enjoying Rise of the Tomb Raider, and I hear that it improves on the 2013 version in almost every way, but i'm hankering for more survival tomb raiding action so I was thinking about it (plus its only $5).
It's a very good game and well worth it.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011
I picked up dream quest in the sale and have been basically glued to it despite the awful, awful graphics, any other good single player card based games?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Zathril posted:

I picked up dream quest in the sale and have been basically glued to it despite the awful, awful graphics, any other good single player card based games?

Hand of Fate is really good.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

RyokoTK posted:

Definitely Red Faction: Guerrilla, the entire game is based around exploding poo poo and it's great.
Agreed. You also get to act out your inner Communist. The game doesn't hide how in the right you are about your actions.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Innerguard posted:

Thoughts? Removals? Recommendations?

Isn't Black Desert Online a kMMORPG? If so either remove that or remove everything else tbh.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Sounds like Xander77 already thought for you. They know better.
On the matter of supporting neo-nazis? Yeah.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
I'd love to buy NieR: Automata but I don't think 30% is cheap enough, hopefully it'll get slightly lower in the winter sale.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Walh Hara posted:

Invisible Inc is extremely good and while it's not about shooting/killing all the badies, it's requires the same kind of tactical gameplay and understanding. Turn based, squad based and extremely polished.

Seconding this. Invisible Inc. and the Contingency Plan DLC for $7.19 is a great deal.

Like you said, it has very finessed controls, and feels "fair" during combat, once you learn all the mechanics. I thought the hacking system was extremely well designed, and its unique characters promote a nice variety of playstyles. You can choose to go lethal or non-lethal, both are viable. KO'ing a guard with a stun gun is pretty satisfying.

Also features an excellent soundtrack, too.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

So how's Guts and Glory aka Happy Wheels 3D? It looks like it's pretty tight for a sandbox from some youtube videos.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
How much enjoyment did you get out of Happy Wheels?

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

- Mafia 3: Same as above?

Mafia 3 would have been an excellent 8 hour game. Sadly it's 25 hours long or so.

Great characters, good graphics and sound design but between the painfully repetitive gameplay and the lack of fast travel it's a game that seems to hold the player's time in complete contempt.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
I'll make sure not to support any neo-nazis.

On a completely unrelated note, I gave one anime season a try and the quality is fine, though they could just let you download the files and play them without streaming.

Blattdorf fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 4, 2017

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

How much enjoyment did you get out of Happy Wheels?
A fair bit.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Can you just link your steam profile so I don't have to do this through browsers and verify that I didn't hijack my own account 27 times in the process?

E: Sent you a friend request, I'm Annoying Old Party Man.

Accepted, i was just finishing up watching a series in the mean time.
Anyone else maybe looking for card trade can send a request to http://steamcommunity.com/id/henryex

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

PerilPastry posted:

Mafia 3 would have been an excellent 8 hour game. Sadly it's 25 hours long or so.

Great characters, good graphics and sound design but between the painfully repetitive gameplay and the lack of fast travel it's a game that seems to hold the player's time in complete contempt.

Mafia 3 is a bad game as this man says. Do not pay money for Mafia 3.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Lechtansi posted:

The first TR reboot is WAY better than Rise (which I literally just finished last night). It's more focused, it knows what it wants to be, the environment isn't one giant landmass of snow/mud and there's not as much crafting bullshit to get in the way of the action scenes.

It's a better game and you should definitely pick it up.

Stanley Tweedle
Aug 15, 2001

Zathril posted:

Card Quest!

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Mafia 3 is a bad game as this man says. Do not pay money for Mafia 3.

You should only buy Mafia 3 when it's 80% off or higher, you don't deserve to be ripped off at full price.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Zathril posted:

Card Hunter. F2P but with robust single player and no cheap gates to progress. Great old school D&D aesthetic where equipment builds a deck of cards with varying quality e.g. an unstable wand could have 1 super powerful card, a few weaker cards, and then a play immediately where you electrocute yourself.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Unless the game takes an absolute nose-dive at the end I'm really enjoying Headlander, it's actually the most fun I've had with a Doublefine game.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Last day of the sale, anyone got a lead on any hidden action or arcade gems?

It's gotta be difficult or at least have some depth to the gameplay, and you've got to be able to look cool. Ideally no or little RNG/grinding, but I'm willing to put up with it if the gameplay is good. I don't really pay attention to the fighting game scene, but I've been thinking of getting into it; anything good on sale in that genre?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Zathril posted:

Monster Slayers seems to be a very similar game with better presentation. I've had time to put three hours into it and I like it. Taking a look at Dream Quest too, wondering if I can overcome the presentation. I'm having the same problem with The Consuming Shadow.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"
Question about the "Encore" text on the front page: Was there any days where any of the games had a 24h deal or so that difffered from the rest of the sale's days? I seem to remember someone mentioning GalGun, but nothing else. And I seem to recall Ubisoft doing this for 24 hours during a former Holiday sale.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I just remember that Shadowgrounds exists. You can buy it and its standalone expansion, Shadowgrounds Survivor, for 2 bucks right now. It's a good get if "top down shooter with the pacing and atmosphere of half-life" sounds appealing to you at all. The base game also has local co-op, which is neato.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

Lurdiak posted:

I just remember that Shadowgrounds exists. You can buy it and its standalone expansion, Shadowgrounds Survivor, for 2 bucks right now. It's a good get if "top down shooter with the pacing and atmosphere of half-life" sounds appealing to you at all. The base game also has local co-op, which is neato.

Definitely agreed, they were both much better than I thought:
https://steamcommunity.com/id/ghost_of_bukowski/recommended/2500
https://steamcommunity.com/id/ghost_of_bukowski/recommended/11200

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
In a rather frustrating bit of timing, the Humble Store kicked off a big indie sale yesterday, which means you might be able to get some slightly better deals there assuming you have the extra 10% off from the Humble Monthly or wallet credit lying around.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Speaking of local coop, anyone got recommendations?

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

But first, let me also tell you about AI War (85% $2.54). So this one's a kind of Tower Defense + RTS with a chess-like layer of thinking ahead. It's best played in co-op because of just how vast everything tends to be and the fact that you'll want to keep your eyes on multiple things at once. The gist is that you're the last humans after an inevitable AI uprising and you're trying to defend yourselves while deep-striking the AI's cores. The TD part of this comes from managing the huge waves of ships the AI will send at you every so often, many times in response to what you've done. This leads to the thinking ahead aspect. There are several key targets across the galaxy that are advantageous to hit, some grant you research, some grant you a reduction in the AI's pressure, others are just special factories the AI has you'll want to shut down. But every time you do something aggressive, the AI's progress ramps up and will send more and badder guys your way.

There are also tactics to use like establishing a beachhead away from home to try and do deep strikes, doing a suicide mission with transports you're trying to protect jump after jump to hit a deeply embedded target, temporarily shoring up a system to get research and then pulling out before the AI hits you, etc. The AI doesn't pull any punches (instead of trying to make the AI pretend it's a human opponent they can just full on let it decisions based on all its info and such) and there highly customizable difficulty levels so you can make the game as easy or hard as you want. You can also customize the AI itself with many different personalities. This one's more aggressive, this one prefers to destroy your turrets, this one uses space trains to disrupt your poo poo (the game has some beautiful weirdness to it). It's a fun, massive game (my first game took 24+ hours in-game) and it's a great co-op experience with support for several players.

Thanks for writing this out. I'd glanced at this game multiple times but never looked too hard. Sounds like my kind of thing. Apparently it's supposed to be a bit like Sins of the Solar Empire.

Are there any other Big Space War games like this?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I've got a cart to cull.

Please help convince me I don't need none of this poo poo. I need to get it down to at least $60-80 to feel reasonable. My tastes are kind of all over the place if that isn't obvious.

Also I'm very confused by Dying Light. Enhanced Edition The Following includes the following dlc and the base game, and that is the only way to buy the base game? Is that right? It really doesn't help that The Following DLC gets more ad space than the base game on my store front but also says it requires Dying Light The Following Enhanced Edition to run.

Gah everytime I try to remove a few games I end up removing them all. Maybe I should just not buy anything.

kater fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jul 5, 2017

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

kater posted:

I've got a cart to cull.

Please help convince me I don't need none of this poo poo. I need to get it down to at least $60-80 to feel reasonable. My tastes are kind of all over the place if that isn't obvious.

Also I'm very confused by Dying Light. Enhanced Edition The Following includes the following dlc and the base game, and that is the only way to buy the base game? Is that right? It really doesn't help that The Following DLC gets more ad space than the base game on my store front but also says it requires Dying Light The Following Enhanced Edition to run.

Steins;Gate: are you going to read it all in the next month or so? If not, wait for the winter sale. (It's a good VN but don't be me and buy three of the things when I haven't finished reading any yet. ><)

Subnautica: It is not finished and won't be finished for like another year. Wait on it! (Also it has performance issues.)

Batman Telltale: I heard it starts good and ends as a wet fart, pardon my crude language. Skip? (Also like the VN are you gonna read/watch it soon?)

No comment on the rest outside of holy hell, I'm jealous that you get to play Death Road to Canada and Mini Metro for the first time ever. I love, love love love those games.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Speaking of which thanks to all you goons for the feedback on my cart. Based on your advice I ended up dropping:

Seraph
SuperHot
Call of Duty: World At War
Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale
Sublevel Zero
Outland
Welcome to the Game

And markgreyam kindly gifted me Dust and Ring Runner among a ton of other stuff. :thumbsup:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Is there a way to check what I got during the sale, gifts and purchases both?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lowness 72 posted:

How is Metal Gear Solid 5? Do I need to get "The Definitive Experience" version?

And, while totally different, should I do MGS or Hitman 2016?

Both are very good games with lots of replay value but I'd push heavily for Hitman 2016, which is utterly fantastic.

Lechtansi posted:

To echo others, TR2013 is excellent and better than Rise in my opinion (though I did really like Rise too). It has a great story and character arc for Lara and she comes across as a giant badass over the course of the game.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Xander77 posted:

Is there a way to check what I got during the sale, gifts and purchases both?

https://store.steampowered.com/account/history/

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Lechtansi posted:

Its good with actual tombs you raid.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Doesn't include gifts you've received, but "license activations" in the same section does that.

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!
I don't normally care too much about badges, but I'm just one Lemonade card away from another level on my sale badge. Can someone hook me up? I have multiples of everything else (except Minigolf) that I can offer.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/riffraff1138/

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

kater posted:

I've got a cart to cull.

I might be too late, but I'm going to go against popular opinion and say don't get Divinity: Original Sin if you're trying to be choosy. I really wanted to like it, and the combat system is excellent, but everything apart from the combat is not very good and overall it failed to interest me. Unless you're buying it solely for the combat, wait until it's cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I, uh, think I need to buy another shiny game as a distraction before Dead Cells consumes me. This hasn't happened to me in a long time.

• Locked thread