Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
edit: huh i posted this on the wrong thread and only just realized

Dias fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jul 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

SirKibbles posted:

I don't pay attention to leaks it's just that the music got really ominous and the long zoom in

Yeah they lingered too long on the godpad for them to not play a major role. I imagine once a whole universe is eliminated the Zenos wouldn't see a point in keeping them around for the rest of the tournament. Sorry Universe 9.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

do you guys think that Zeno has the ability to bring people back from being Hakai'd? Like since he's the god of everything, shouldn't he also be able to bring life back

maybe he doesn't know because the godPad is stunting his growth

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

what if everyone is just data inside a godpad and the entire Dragon Ball universe(s) are just us playing Dragon Ball Heroes

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Carlosologist posted:

do you guys think that Zeno has the ability to bring people back from being Hakai'd? Like since he's the god of everything, shouldn't he also be able to bring life back

maybe he doesn't know because the godPad is stunting his growth

He would have to know who you were.

Goku is effectively immortal so long as new-timeline zeno doesn't consume old timeline zeno.

It is admittedly possible that Zeno can only make universes and that life and stuff has to do it's own thing to exist who knows!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

reignofevil posted:

He would have to know who you were.

Goku is effectively immortal so long as new-timeline zeno doesn't consume old timeline zeno.

It is admittedly possible that Zeno can only make universes and that life and stuff has to do it's own thing to exist who knows!

The whole "life has to do its own stuff to exist" does sound consistent with how its been portrayed. After all, Universe 7's gods were chastised for taking a complete hands-off approach and just letting what happened happened.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

TheHan posted:

Yeah they lingered too long on the godpad for them to not play a major role. I imagine once a whole universe is eliminated the Zenos wouldn't see a point in keeping them around for the rest of the tournament. Sorry Universe 9.

I think most of the universes will live or get 'unerased' one way or another at the end of the arc, but U9 (and maybe U4) is almost definitely getting Zeno-Hakai'd as an example.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZXE3mXEmAQ

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

That's so awesome

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Anyone still watch TFS DBZ abriged? Caught up with it. It has managed to avoid getting stuck on memes and its own bullshit and is still cleverly parodying the source material. I think that makes it the only abridged series to do so.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Somewhere shark tamer is mad and he doesn't know why

Covok
May 27, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

Somewhere shark tamer is mad and he doesn't know why

I assume he hates TFS DBZ?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Covok posted:

I assume he hates TFS DBZ?

Yes and he basically hates when fans speculate or think of a "What if" scenario.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Covok posted:

Anyone still watch TFS DBZ abriged? Caught up with it. It has managed to avoid getting stuck on memes and its own bullshit and is still cleverly parodying the source material. I think that makes it the only abridged series to do so.

Check out SAO Abridged and Dub of the North Star.

Those two rival and at times surpass DBZA, though Dub of the North Star hasn't had a new episode in...a while.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Burkion posted:

Those two rival and at times surpass DBZA, though Dub of the North Star hasn't had a new episode in...a while.

Are you going to eat that?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

SAO abridged is amazing since it turns a lovely show into a great one. It fills in plot holes and actually has character development!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Burkion posted:

Never seen either series. Will that hurt my ability to enjoy it?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Covok posted:

SAO Abridged couldn't possibly hurt your ability to enjoy SAO any more than watching SAO would.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Covok posted:

Oh my God no.

Well here's a good litmus test

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca3qvbdFSZk

Do you find this funny? Because this version of Ken is the one that's in Dub of the North Star, including the voice actor. If this is up your alley, jump into it right now. It's only 4 episodes and they're all gold.

And SAO Abridged is literally better than the source material in every single way.

Just, better choreography, better writing, better characters, actual character development,

It's kind of ridiculous how superior it is to what it is based on.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Covok posted:

Personally I think their movie parodies are their best stuff. They don't have to get so bogged down in retelling the plot and character development as their regular series and can just marvel at the horrendous schlock that every single pre-battle of the gods movie seems to be.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

deadly_pudding posted:

???

The game Manatee Cannon just described is not ludicrously more complicated than some existing Rogue-likes.

Sharktamer is a pedantic tool

edit: I didn't realise how long ago, that post was. So here's actual content; does anyone think that they could eventually do a timeskip to after the end of DBZ?

Testekill fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 4, 2017

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I think they're totally going to rewrite DBZ's ending because that's probably the only way you get more mileage out of this show

Plus it would make a whole bunch of people obsessed with canon super mad

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Or they could just skip to after the End of Z and use the potential having Uub and Pan as regular characters would bring.

You know, like GT

Only not stupid.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Augus posted:

SAO Abridged couldn't possibly hurt your ability to enjoy SAO any more than watching SAO would.

I somehow originally read that as Attack on Titan. And I was like "I thought everyone liked that show."

Burkion posted:

Oh my God no.

Well here's a good litmus test

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca3qvbdFSZk

Do you find this funny? Because this version of Ken is the one that's in Dub of the North Star, including the voice actor. If this is up your alley, jump into it right now. It's only 4 episodes and they're all gold.

And SAO Abridged is literally better than the source material in every single way.

Just, better choreography, better writing, better characters, actual character development,

It's kind of ridiculous how superior it is to what it is based on.

I assume that's Cell vs Kenshiro. I thought all the #Cellgames videos were pretty frikken great.

khwarezm posted:

Personally I think their movie parodies are their best stuff. They don't have to get so bogged down in retelling the plot and character development as their regular series and can just marvel at the horrendous schlock that every single pre-battle of the gods movie seems to be.

Agreed. It's both easier to mock the schlock the movies were and the shorter, self-contained length made things easier.

'B-but how? He's so cool, but his motivation! His motivation! He's mad because of a baby crying! The Legendary Super Sayian is literally a giant baby!"

Carlosologist posted:

I think they're totally going to rewrite DBZ's ending because that's probably the only way you get more mileage out of this show

Plus it would make a whole bunch of people obsessed with canon super mad

Why does SA hate people who like lore and canon?

Covok
May 27, 2013

TFRazorsaw posted:

Or they could just skip to after the End of Z and use the potential having Uub and Pan as regular characters would bring.

You know, like GT

Only not stupid.

"Uub, you are my succesor! I am too old to be trusted with...oh, poo poo, I'm 10 again! Ha! Go gently caress yourself and your dying improvished village, you wannabe Nam! I'm the hero again, bitch!"

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Dragon Ball canon is an inconsistent and constantly evolving thing that can change completely depending on how many ideas Toriyama makes up on the spot during interviews or what fun ideas the Super showrunners come up with.

Though mostly the biggest "canon" grogs in the DB fandom are the people who think Power Levels ever meant anything.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Covok posted:

Because they're too uptight to enjoy the thing they're watching. "Arale can't beat Vegeta up! His power level is too maximum!"

Covok
May 27, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

Though mostly the biggest "canon" grogs in the DB fandom are the people who think Power Levels ever meant anything.

"BUT WHAT ABOUT BROLY!?"

Funky Valentine posted:

Dragon Ball canon is an inconsistent and constantly evolving thing that can change completely depending on how many ideas Toriyama makes up on the spot during interviews or what fun ideas the Super showrunners come up with.

True dat. I often use DB as an example of "pre-modern" comic writting where all that mattered was telling a good story. Compared to "modern" and "post-modern" comics which tend to go for unified power systems and a lot of issuses devoted to showing ofg side-characters and keeping them relevant. Compare One Piece giving every main character (and some arc-specific char) a big fight per arc versuses Dragonball phasing out characters after their development arc concluded and Goku is clearly the main dude who matters.

HitTheTargets posted:

Because they're too uptight to enjoy the thing they're watching. "Arale can't beat Vegeta up! His power level is too maximum!"

The Arale episode was great. :colbert:

Okay, I get it.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Covok posted:

Because they often fixate on continuity wank and power level mechanics over storytelling and appreciating cool stuff, leading to stuff like people complaining that Trunks can fight Zamasu on equal footing with Goku and Vegeta because he didn't 'earn' it, or that Android 17 should be completely useless because he last appeared in the Cell saga.

Like, Dragon Ball has always been written by the seat of Toriyama's pants and he couldn't care less about continuity himself, you're aggressively missing the point once you start crunching numbers to say the story is bad.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Covok posted:

"BUT WHAT ABOUT BROLY!?"

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I think building off of what's come before aren't incompatible with telling new stories and freedom and flexibility. Lore and canon aren't dirty words, you just need to find a balance.

This Frieza stuff wouldn't be half as interesting if he were a new villain with no history with Goku or the others. Likewise, you need the other universes to keep things fresh. It all works together to create a stronger story.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

multijoe posted:

Because they often fixate on continuity wank and power level mechanics over storytelling and appreciating cool stuff, leading to stuff like people complaining that Trunks can fight Zamasu on equal footing with Goku and Vegeta because he didn't 'earn' it, or that Android 17 should be completely useless because he last appeared in the Cell saga.

Whenever you see something like that, a wizard they were training offscreen. 300x Gravity, hyperbaric time, the works.

Covok
May 27, 2013

HitTheTargets posted:

Whenever you see something like that, a wizard they were training offscreen. 300x Gravity, hyperbaric time, the works.

Hyperbolic

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Covok posted:

Hyperbolic

hey just because you don't like a post doesn't mean you can accuse it of hyperbole

Covok
May 27, 2013

Sauce?

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Covok posted:

I straight up have never seen an episode of SAO and think the abridged series is simply amazing.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

mob psycho 100

Covok
May 27, 2013

The fact they air DBS on Adult Swim is a cruel thing to do to kids nowadays.

Not airing Buu Kai first was also cruel.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

watching adult swim as a pre-teen or young teen and feeling like you're getting away with something is a millennial nerd rite of passage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Brother Entropy posted:

watching adult swim as a pre-teen or young teen and feeling like you're getting away with something is a millennial nerd rite of passage

Well, watching ATHF sober at 11 and not getting why my older brother's friends called it a stoner cartoon and why they always smoked when watching it is a thing that happened.

• Locked thread