Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pugzilla
Feb 25, 2011

kzin602 posted:

Eregion questing is level 45, so you can actually start picking them up at 40. Eregion is actually a pretty decent zone, and it's world's ahead of angmar.
It's part of the moria expansion so you are good until 40.

My level 47 hunter is in Eregion now. Plenty of poo poo to shoot at. Easy money too. Only gripe is those snooty elves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Some cool Mordor stuff from Bullroarer: https://thebeardedminstrel.blogspot.com/2017/06/whats-new-in-update-21-patch-1.html

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender
Hnnnng. I love this stupid game so much. Wish I had more time to play.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
So I'm looking for an mmo to play solo for a while, just to kill time and have fun. Is the solo experience in this game any good? Both gameplay and story wise. I really just want a fantasy mmo that isn't wow haha.

archaicnoise
Feb 25, 2011

Elblanco posted:

So I'm looking for an mmo to play solo for a while, just to kill time and have fun. Is the solo experience in this game any good? Both gameplay and story wise. I really just want a fantasy mmo that isn't wow haha.

I pretty much exclusively played this game solo from start to cap level up until 2015, and I can confirm that the solo experience is fun. It's very well balanced so there's not a lot you're locked out of save for 6+ player content, and the lore is very well produced and written by nerds who like to be stupidly accurate to Tolkien's writing. Classes are really diverse and the areas are well constructed. I'd just say if you plan on starting, content is only free through level 20, so it's usually worth it to buy enough points to grab a few quest packs -- Lone Lands, Trollshaws (or Evendim), Eregion, and Moria is enough to get a character through level 20-60. I've had all the quest packs for forever so it might actually be better to pick up a month of VIP, which does the same thing.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Awesome, I'll give it a shot and if I keep want to keep going after level 20, I'll just sub for a bit. Do you get to keep any content you unlock from being VIP? like Sw:tor does? Or do I lose all access as soon as my sub lapses?

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

FailPirate posted:

I pretty much exclusively played this game solo from start to cap level up until 2015, and I can confirm that the solo experience is fun. It's very well balanced so there's not a lot you're locked out of save for 6+ player content, and the lore is very well produced and written by nerds who like to be stupidly accurate to Tolkien's writing. Classes are really diverse and the areas are well constructed. I'd just say if you plan on starting, content is only free through level 20, so it's usually worth it to buy enough points to grab a few quest packs -- Lone Lands, Trollshaws (or Evendim), Eregion, and Moria is enough to get a character through level 20-60. I've had all the quest packs for forever so it might actually be better to pick up a month of VIP, which does the same thing.

The game is free up until 33-35ish, not 20. We always suggest Evendim to get you from 30-40, and then another couple quest packs to get you leveled up for Moria which you can start at 45.

Elblanco posted:

Awesome, I'll give it a shot and if I keep want to keep going after level 20, I'll just sub for a bit. Do you get to keep any content you unlock from being VIP? like Sw:tor does? Or do I lose all access as soon as my sub lapses?
Unfortunately no. The one month of VIP is still an extremely good deal though, because you keep all of the character-specific unlocks.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

How much harder is it to level up as a tanking class? Is it like WoW where they have sort of DPS spec/skill set?

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...
Yes the tanking class have dps specs but it's no where close to the dps you get from non-tanking classes.
I leveled a Lore Master and a Guardian to 105 and the guardian was much slower than then Lore master but It's still ok in term of progression.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

when do I get to smugly run bingo boffins errands as galadriels noldorin brother tia

holy poo poo that was sacrilege. I meant nephew, nephew sounds right

Mr. Pickles fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jun 30, 2017

Pugzilla
Feb 25, 2011

omg chael crash posted:

How much harder is it to level up as a tanking class? Is it like WoW where they have sort of DPS spec/skill set?

Much harder than as a hunter. Hunters can function like snipers and can usually kill the bad guys before they get close enough to fight back.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I always found guardian faster than hunter because guardians can just wade into a dozen enemies at once and casually kill them all with bouncing light damage while the hunter has to shoot everyone individually and if something does get close enough to fight back it's a bad thing instead of it just making you stronger.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Yeah, I main Hunter and really enjoy it, but the secret to doing landscape content quickly is being able to take on multiple enemies at once. Minstrel is notably great at this, at least at low levels; you can run through a camp and destroy the entire thing without ever slowing down. The tanking classes don't have as much raw AoE damage output IIRC but there are high-level builds where you can stack bleeds, etc. and absolutely destroy everything you touch.

(Honestly, the real things Hunter has going for it are faster run speed and lots and lots of no-cooldown fast-travel skills. Depending on your play style the time saved by fast travel may far more than make up for the slower time to kill groups of mobs.)

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 30, 2017

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

alucinor posted:

Hnnnng. I love this stupid game so much. Wish I had more time to play.

No kidding. After working overnight for 12 years, I got a day job in June and now have almost zero time for games. LOTRO will probably be the only thing I have time for when Mordor is out.

FailPirate posted:

the lore is very well produced and written by nerds who like to be stupidly accurate to Tolkien's writing.

The licensing requires that they stick very close to the lore, so it's not exactly their choice. This has limited what they've been able to do throughout the years, but is good because LOTRO would likely be more of a WoW clone otherwise.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

ruffz posted:

The licensing requires that they stick very close to the lore, so it's not exactly their choice. This has limited what they've been able to do throughout the years, but is good because LOTRO would likely be more of a WoW clone otherwise.

They are straying a bit with the high elves, rumor from the test server says they're actually using a 3000 year coma to explain the high elves, hopefully this is a joke or they write something better by release. Either way let's be honest, it's less absurd than thousands of beornings running around and the main parts of the story will stay true as usual.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?&postid=7737133

Just test notes so it's all subject to change, mostly things we already knew. Some more highlights: 3 new trait points for leveling up between 105 to 115, beorning bug fixes finally coming right at launch, lava, fire and I would imagine poison can hurt and kill you if you wander too lazily around Mordor, high elves currently look ugly but aren't finished being textured and polygoned and whatever else, uhh bump maps. That's a computer word I know.

Legendary Item caps will rise again with Mordor which is a great final reminder: The current featured instance is sword hall, easily soloable, it's a 4-5 minute brainless free loot instance. Good time to collect scrolls and exp tomes even if the essence will be worthless soon. I'll be on to do it again tomorrow night just not sure when yet.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

extra stout posted:

a 3000 year coma to explain the high elves

lol

It's not like the Elves in the game already can't be sufficiently "high". You start off in the Havens getting personal instruction from loving Elrond. You can be as Noldor/Sindar/Silvan/Mudblood as you care to imagine.

Unless you get to play as literally a Glorfindel/Galadriel and every enemy in the game including Nazgul run screaming from you.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Well, the way I'd justify High Elves is that a good number of them sailed back to middle-earth, in order to contest Sauron.

News of the finding of the Ring would easily reach Valinor through Cirdan and his Palantir, and Elves would be more than willing to sail back and aid in protecting the Three and destroying the One. And they wouldn't all have to be Noldor either.

Why did we not see them in the books? That could be because they helped Frodo only in subtle ways (Gildor alarming Aragorn and Bombadil of Frodo, Glorfindel acting as transport when Frodo was wounded). The War never reached Rivendell, Lothlorien or the Havens, so we never got to read about what high-elf powers were stationed in those garrisons. We do know that Elrond refrained from sending Glorfindel with the Ring, because his power would be wasted on the Quest. So in essence, Glorfindel was part of a defence plan devised by the Wise in case the Quest failed. I like to think there were *many* others just like Glorfindel, just not as revered or as strong.

Mr. Pickles fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 3, 2017

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mr. Pickles posted:

News of the finding of the Ring would easily reach Valinor through Cirdan and his Palantir, and Elves would be more than willing to sail back and aid in protecting the Three and destroying the One. And they wouldn't all have to be Noldor either.

It's literally a plot point in the books that the Elves don't give a poo poo any more and just want to go home for a lie down.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

sassassin posted:

Unless you get to play as literally a Glorfindel/Galadriel and every enemy in the game including Nazgul run screaming from you.

What about actual GOLD hair for Elves and some non-woodelf passives then? Those are kinda missing from the game right now

sassassin posted:

It's literally a plot point in the books that the Elves don't give a poo poo any more and just want to go home for a lie down.

AFAIK elves had been slowly sailing away ever since that Balrog woke up in Moria. But those who actually mattered never really left until evil was destroyed forever, as if they wouldn't purposefully deprive the world of the Three as long as Sauron and his ring lived.

Mr. Pickles fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 3, 2017

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I leveled a minstrel to 20 to heal dungeons and it turns out the instance queue is dead :(

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Hmmm High elves in a coma. What about those mariners Turgon sent to Valinor to bring help right before the end of the 1st age? All of them failed, but some were marooned on enchanted isles where they fell asleep indefinately

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mr. Pickles posted:

AFAIK elves had been slowly sailing away ever since that Balrog woke up in Moria. But those who actually mattered never really left until evil was destroyed forever, as if they wouldn't purposefully deprive the world of the Three as long as Sauron and his ring lived.

The defeat of Sauron is in no way the end of Evil in The Lord of the Rings.

He's a provincial issue.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mr. Pickles posted:

What about actual GOLD hair for Elves and some non-woodelf passives then? Those are kinda missing from the game right now

Gold hair on an Elf is like a >5' Hobbit. When these characters appear in the books it's treated like it's remarkable.

My warden was a ginger elf, though.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Mr. Pickles posted:

My memory may be hosed, but I recall that Elves have been sailing to the West ever since they made it to the shore. My recollection of the Silmarillion is that the vast majority of the Elves barely stopped in Middle Earth on the way to the West, and those tribes of Elves that were captivated by the beauty of Middle Earth and stayed were a minority.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

euphronius posted:

I leveled a minstrel to 20 to heal dungeons and it turns out the instance queue is dead :(

No one ever used that. We all form Fellowships in /LFF, and THEN launch our instance via the instnace finder.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Conskill posted:

My memory may be hosed, but I recall that Elves have been sailing to the West ever since they made it to the shore. My recollection of the Silmarillion is that the vast majority of the Elves barely stopped in Middle Earth on the way to the West, and those tribes of Elves that were captivated by the beauty of Middle Earth and stayed were a minority.

That's pretty accurate. The only period when elves were not permitted to sail West was when the Noldor were exiled by Mandos. This ended with the War of Wrath. Concerning the 3rd age though, I remember reading somewhere that the exodus of the Elves of middle-earth (Avari or otherwise) actually began en-masse when the Balrog woke up, as they -truly- shat themselves.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Conskill posted:

No, when the exile was lifted after the Valar destroyed Belerieand in the War of Wrath they were permitted to sail the straight path, but only to Tol Ereesea where they remain until Mandos calls them.
The dark elves however were free to continue to Valinor as they had no part in the Kinslaying as they had not seen the light of Valinor.

Frodo and Bilbo were only allowed to reside in Tol Ereesea as no mortal can tread the Undying Lands through great doom.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

sassassin posted:

The defeat of Sauron is in no way the end of Evil in The Lord of the Rings.
He's a provincial issue.

Why do you say that?
Sauron is the absolute rockstar of lord of the rings imo. He's the only evil, he corrupted all the weak races throughout Arda and outwitted the Valar and the elves during the 2nd age. That's why Gandalf, the wisest of the Maiar, was rightfully afraid of Sauron and pleaded with Manwe to handle the matter himself rather than send him and the Istari, who were weak. Morgoth had all the power, but was stupid... He didn't accomplish anything and got severely owned several times all the time. Sauron surpassed him in all respects.

sassassin posted:

Gold hair on an Elf is like a >5' Hobbit. When these characters appear in the books it's treated like it's remarkable.

My warden was a ginger elf, though.

Gold hair is treated as a remarkable feature because of the heritage it indicates. It is a feature of the Vanyar, hence exclusive to Valinor elves.

Here's a Finrod I like

Mr. Pickles fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jul 4, 2017

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Mr. Pickles posted:

Why do you say that?
Sauron is the absolute rockstar of lord of the rings imo. He's the only evil, he corrupted all the weak races throughout Arda and outwitted the Valar and the elves during the 2nd age. That's why Gandalf, the wisest of the Maiar, was rightfully afraid of Sauron and pleaded with Manwe to handle the matter himself rather than send him and the Istari, who were weak. Morgoth had all the power, but was stupid... He didn't accomplish anything and got severely owned several times all the time. Sauron surpassed him in all respects.

The Valar didn't get involved because the last time they did a whole continent got destroyed. Mind you the whole continent was brought to destruction because they couldn't bring Morgoth to heel. Morgoth got into the heads of many high elves, persons akin to angels as far as deification goes, and led them to their destruction. If Sauron can be handled by mortals on their terms, he can't be all that powerful or menacing.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I remember playing this game when it came out... And it's still around? How many goons play this game? Thinking of picking it banc up.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
I recently jumped back into it and have an officer in the kin, but I'm usually playing on alts that aren't in a kin at all. Still fun though.

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Pickles posted:

Why did we not see them in the books?

Because they were collecting pig dung and picking marigolds in Enedwaith. You can actually see one in the movie running in the background with a pie delivery.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
So I just tried this game out to test PvMP for some friends, but I had a weird tech issue.

When ever the game had focus, if I used mumble then my transmit was crackling pretty bad to other people. Is this a known issue or is this something with my hosed up pc?

I am going with my PC since I can't find anyone else having this issue.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mr. Pickles posted:

He's the only evil

Objectively false.

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've been leveling a warden and while I really enjoy wading into a big group of on level mobs and using the AOE life-taps and DoTs, the screaming gets to be a bit much. Is there a mod or option to disable the shouts of the screamy classes? More than one warden in a fellowship must be deafening.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

kzin602 posted:

Because they were collecting pig dung and picking marigolds in Enedwaith. You can actually see one in the movie running in the background with a pie delivery.

makes sense. i can see em bitching in quenya about beornings spawn killing their quest mobs

sassassin posted:

Objectively false.

These are serious matters son, did you even read that book?

100YrsofAttitude posted:

The Valar didn't get involved because the last time they did a whole continent got destroyed. Mind you the whole continent was brought to destruction because they couldn't bring Morgoth to heel. Morgoth got into the heads of many high elves, persons akin to angels as far as deification goes, and led them to their destruction. If Sauron can be handled by mortals on their terms, he can't be all that powerful or menacing.

I was underlining the fact that Morgoth's plans were always simplistic and flawed. Sauron ftw. Think about Morgoth's three major triumphs: Killed the trees but got owned by Ungoliant, had to summon all balrogs to save his rear end. Battle of unnumbered tears, the elves owned themselves. The destruction of Doriath, Nargothrond and Gondolin, that was mostly Glaurung's work imo, through turin and hurin

Sauron, the Lord of the Rings, destroyed Numenor, forced the Valar to make the world into a sphere, tricked the elves and the wise, enslaved all races and made saruman his bitch. His defeat was a product of bad luck and of the doings of Illuvatar's secret race. Even in Dol Guldur, the wise were owned by Sauron's deception.

Mr. Pickles fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jul 6, 2017

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Mr. Pickles posted:

Sauron, the Lord of the Rings, destroyed Numenor.

Actually it was King Ar-Pharazôn who through his arrogance got Numenor destroyed, admittedly though Sauron was at the center of it with his lies and schemes. Sauron owned as he was the last to go down as Numenor sank and laughed atop the high mountain until the waves enclosed him.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Yup, he laughed with good reason, as estranging mortal Men from the Valar was the chiefest objective of Melkor since forever, and he achieved it all alone. But he had already made his rings, and the whole world was in his mercy until Isildur had his lucky break.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mr. Pickles posted:

Yup, he laughed with good reason, as estranging mortal Men from the Valar was the chiefest objective of Melkor since forever, and he achieved it all alone. But he had already made his rings, and the whole world was in his mercy until Isildur had his lucky break.

All Isildur did was cut the ring from Sauron's finger after he'd already been defeated by Gil-Galad and Elendil.

The armies of elves and men kept Sauron trapped under siege for years before that. Even the small region known as Middle Earth wasn't at his mercy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Three questions - How do I stop my camera from auto-following?
how do I put all my bags in one window?
And why does it look like there has been no graphics update since I quit in 2008 or so?

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 6, 2017