Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

metztli posted:

I also got Soundboxing and Gladius, figuring those look fun as hell and should help me get an upper body workout. Anyone recommend anything that engages the legs, maybe a dance/rhythm game? I guess that would be hard to track (unless they make trackers for your ankles?) but maybe something that makes you crouch or something a lot.

play soundboxing and do squats for the lower notes instead of reaching down. work it into your dance moves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

I picked up both a Rift and a Vive during the summer sales and I'm having a tough time deciding which one to keep. About the only thing I've figured out so far is that I like the Oculus Touch controllers more than the Vive wands, but it looks like the Vive Knuckles might be even better than the Touch.

HTC/Valve seem to be doing more iterating on their hardware with things like the Deluxe Audio Strap, Knuckles, and a new version of the Lighthouse sensors. This makes me think that over time they will catch up to/surpass (for an additional expense) what Oculus is doing in this generation.

Does Oculus have any kind of new hardware coming out in the next year that would make their overall VR experience better?

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA

The Walrus posted:

I honestly don't even notice the cord anymore. It makes certain games like holopoint less good than they could be but for the most part games aren't designed to make you spin around constantly. Wireless is a nice to have but not a must for me, and honestly carrying around a half point extremely warm battery in my pocket seems like a greater hassle.

With wireless, I think I would just put the battery in a camelback, as that'd let me ditch the cables and hydrate while I play without having to ditch the controllers/take off the headset. Wouldn't even notice the weight or the backpack really.

The Walrus posted:

play soundboxing and do squats for the lower notes instead of reaching down. work it into your dance moves.

Good call - I look forward to extremely sore legs tomorrow.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Parker Lewis posted:

I picked up both a Rift and a Vive during the summer sales and I'm having a tough time deciding which one to keep. About the only thing I've figured out so far is that I like the Oculus Touch controllers more than the Vive wands, but it looks like the Vive Knuckles might be even better than the Touch.

HTC/Valve seem to be doing more iterating on their hardware with things like the Deluxe Audio Strap, Knuckles, and a new version of the Lighthouse sensors. This makes me think that over time they will catch up to/surpass (for an additional expense) what Oculus is doing in this generation.

Does Oculus have any kind of new hardware coming out in the next year that would make their overall VR experience better?

The DAS should have come with the headset originally, tbh. That's one thing they got right with the Rift. They should both be moving to the welding mask setup next like the PSVR though.

There's no real info about a next generation of headset, yet. There's some MS stuff coming later this year but it's not clear if they'll be a step up yet.

Since it's clear you have money to burn you should keep whichever one you feel more comfortable with putting on your head all the time (like not just comfort, but which one gets you playing more often). As long as you buy most of your stuff on Steam and ReVive continues to work (at this point it seems pretty likely that it will) you should be able to jump ship next gen for whichever one you want.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

metztli posted:

While VR in one's undies makes undeniable sense, I wound up setting up a rig by screwing a couple of hooks into one of the rafters in my space, attached a pair of retractable dog leashes a couple of feet apart, and then ran the cable through that. Only problem is that I only have really light weight leashes, so the retracting mechanism isn't strong enough to pull the cord up all the way, but it was still 10x better than it was. Once I replace the leashes with stronger ones it should be amazing.

Keep us updated-- I'm way more physically active than the average VR player and keeping track of the cord is the #1 most annoying thing. I was thinking of something like this too, might even attach it to my Subpac

metztli posted:

I also got Soundboxing and Gladius, figuring those look fun as hell and should help me get an upper body workout. Anyone recommend anything that engages the legs, maybe a dance/rhythm game? I guess that would be hard to track (unless they make trackers for your ankles?) but maybe something that makes you crouch or something a lot.

Again, just remember that 99% of VR devs and players are extremely lazy and play even melee games standing stock straight up. Get in a goddamn crouch, get into the goddamn game, play it like you're a goddamn gladiator and it is 1000000% more fun.

I had a great VR moment yesterday where a bad guy in Gladius spawned weird and got pushed up into the crowd bleachers, so I sprinted forward and leapt 3 feet in the loving air and cut his god damned legs off :black101:

edit: If you haven't played Onward/Pavlov/FPS games, try those too, your crouching gets tracked so you can work dem thighs busting sick nasty 720 dropshots

veni veni veni posted:

The thing that sucks about VR is it kind of needs that cross play. VR needs something to help it thrive, but at the same time you could never balance that with someone using a M&K or controller.

I'd love to see a Battlefield style game where the troops or other roles are played in 2D, while planes and tanks or whatever are operated by VR players. Imo that would be rad.

Well Payday 2 is going to allow crossplay between VR and non-VR players, and it's co-op, so that should be fun

mellowjournalism fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 4, 2017

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Oh and don't forget Gorn. And Superhot. Crouching is rewarded and they're also 100% must-plays at this point.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

veni veni veni posted:

I'd love to see a Battlefield style game where the troops or other roles are played in 2D, while planes and tanks or whatever are operated by VR players. Imo that would be rad.

Yeah I'd love to see more things like this. More asymmetric games that mix in different roles and game styles.

mellowjournalism posted:

Again, just remember that 99% of VR devs and players are extremely lazy and play even melee games standing stock straight up. Get in a goddamn crouch, get into the goddamn game, play it like you're a goddamn gladiator and it is 1000000% more fun.

I literally play Super Hot VR like I'm Neo and its 1999

http://i.imgur.com/N6GHuBu.gifv

I do this and it actually works in-game. The "time moves when you do" makes it really easy to go all slow-mo action movie star.

I'm tempted to do a John Woo style dive but I'd probably kill myself / break something. :)

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

mellowjournalism posted:

Well Payday 2 is going to allow crossplay between VR and non-VR players, and it's co-op, so that should be fun

There is also the racing sim community who have really taken to VR, I am one of them and there is like a 50 / 50 mix these days in iRacing (according to an anecdotal forum poll) who use VR.
It's awesome to see, VR has just been another bit of hardware for sim guys for a long time and that sense of it just being another peripheral means it's genuinely taken a foothold I think

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

peter gabriel posted:

There is also the racing sim community who have really taken to VR, I am one of them and there is like a 50 / 50 mix these days in iRacing (according to an anecdotal forum poll) who use VR.
It's awesome to see, VR has just been another bit of hardware for sim guys for a long time and that sense of it just being another peripheral means it's genuinely taken a foothold I think

It also helps that the racing sim community is used to paying a little extra and getting by with lesser graphics in order to get greater realism. Most of them have already shelled out tons of money for 3-monitor racing rigs, and by comparison a VR headset is actually much cheaper, smaller, and easier to store.

Its also seen as less gimmicky, since its just another way to get at what they already know they really want; immersive simulation driving. The experience is still the exact same. Unlike moving from a 2D game like Counter Strike to a VR game like Onward, where the experience itself has to dramatically change in order to adapt to the new input style.

Heck, that's another good point. Racing games still generally use the same inputs whether in VR or not. Either you're using a feedback wheel or you're using a gamepad. Vr or otherwise. So its less of a change, its more like just getting a new monitor than playing an entirely different game on an entirely different game system.

On the other hand I think a lot of people who don't play VR see the VIVE controllers or the Oculus controllers and they think "This is just the Wii all over again". They don't see how VR really allows you to do the things that Wii promised but failed to deliver. They've been cheated once and they don't wanna fall for the same ruse again. (But this time its real!)

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Wilson's heart is on a daily deal at the moment for $20 bucks. It's really hard not to recommend it at that price to anyone.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I've always been a racing game fan and 15 minutes in project cars with a vive got me to buy one.

Being able to look to the side and see a car there is so huge.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Tom Guycot posted:

Wilson's heart is on a daily deal at the moment for $20 bucks. It's really hard not to recommend it at that price to anyone.

I was on the edge of buying this and you just pushed me over :)

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Zaphod42 posted:

It also helps that the racing sim community is used to paying a little extra and getting by with lesser graphics in order to get greater realism. Most of them have already shelled out tons of money for 3-monitor racing rigs, and by comparison a VR headset is actually much cheaper, smaller, and easier to store.

Its also seen as less gimmicky, since its just another way to get at what they already know they really want; immersive simulation driving. The experience is still the exact same. Unlike moving from a 2D game like Counter Strike to a VR game like Onward, where the experience itself has to dramatically change in order to adapt to the new input style.

Heck, that's another good point. Racing games still generally use the same inputs whether in VR or not. Either you're using a feedback wheel or you're using a gamepad. Vr or otherwise. So its less of a change, its more like just getting a new monitor than playing an entirely different game on an entirely different game system.

On the other hand I think a lot of people who don't play VR see the VIVE controllers or the Oculus controllers and they think "This is just the Wii all over again". They don't see how VR really allows you to do the things that Wii promised but failed to deliver. They've been cheated once and they don't wanna fall for the same ruse again. (But this time its real!)

Agreed, I'm talking about guys with sim set ups primarily, so they all have wheels and a lot are relieved to ditch / not have to buy and deal with three monitor set ups.

The experience is hugely different though, the way you interact with the car and surroundings is so natural it's impossible for me to go back, there is just no contest imo

Little things like I can crane my neck to see the pace car setting off up the grid or much more important things like being able to see apex's and look through corners, it';s honestly a bit of a dream come true for me

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

What a terrible idea to get my Vive during the sales. So much money... there is an absolute smorgasbord of content for VR now. And a deluxe strap on its way to Australia, hopefully.

So with asymmetric local multiplayer games like the Diner Duo, can I play the keyboard/gamepad role on the computer that is running SteamVR for the Vive player, or do I need a second computer? Because if we can play with just one computer, that opens up a whole new genre of games for me to spend money on.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

peter gabriel posted:

Agreed, I'm talking about guys with sim set ups primarily, so they all have wheels and a lot are relieved to ditch / not have to buy and deal with three monitor set ups.

The experience is hugely different though, the way you interact with the car and surroundings is so natural it's impossible for me to go back, there is just no contest imo

Little things like I can crane my neck to see the pace car setting off up the grid or much more important things like being able to see apex's and look through corners, it';s honestly a bit of a dream come true for me

What's your favorite racing sim? iRacing?

I've got a proper racing seat and wheel and I've got a VR setup but I've mostly played war thunder / elite dangerous in VR as well as all the job sims and stuff like that, I tried some racing games on the Oculus DK1 and DK2 forever ago and got kinda turned off because the support wasn't there yet.

iRacing is real hardcore but I kinda want something with a little more polish. I bought Assetto Corsa forever ago but I've literally never played it, I guess I should try it out but dunno how VR support is. Is Project CARS any better?

I also have Dirt 2 but I think VR support for that one was hack-y and expirimental at best. And then I have all the Forzas and Gran Turismos which is why I have a racing wheel in the first place, but none of those support VR obviously.

Dirt Rally is on sale... Hm only Rift support but could you ReVIVE it?

Oh, another reason I'm not as crazy about iRacing is I'm not really an Indy racer at all, and I hate stock car racing. I much prefer rally cars and sports cars.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 4, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Chadzok posted:

What a terrible idea to get my Vive during the sales. So much money... there is an absolute smorgasbord of content for VR now. And a deluxe strap on its way to Australia, hopefully.

So with asymmetric local multiplayer games like the Diner Duo, can I play the keyboard/gamepad role on the computer that is running SteamVR for the Vive player, or do I need a second computer? Because if we can play with just one computer, that opens up a whole new genre of games for me to spend money on.

quote:

The chef plays in VR and cooks the food while the waiter is played on the same computer the VR-headset is connected to.

Sadly it says "local multiplayer", I'd actually kinda like to play that with a second computer online (or even over a LAN tunnel if needs be) but it seems like it only works with the same-computer. But it also sounds like that's what you want :)

This is the kind of PSVR Room asymmetric gameplay I was just talking about. Sadly there's not many games that do it yet, we need more of them. And those that are feel more like short demos.

Diner Duo looks kinda cool... I was just saying somebody should make the cooking stage of Job Sim into a bigger game like Cook, Serve, Delicious. That said, looking at the video, it looks way way way more limited than Job Sim's cooking section. If you're going to build a whole game around that, it needs to be deeper, not shallower. Just layering different combinations of meat and cheese is going to get boring if that's all you cook.

"steam review posted:

Wanna fight your wife because she can't tell her head from a #5 if her life depended on it? Buy this then.

:lol:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jul 4, 2017

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

It's much more interesting than Job Simulator because you have to keep up with the demand of orders instead of "Hello Worker, Please make a burger for us to consume". Its depth comes from the actual challenge as part of its design rather than the breadth of interaction that Job Simulator allows for which is often confused for its "depth".

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Any recommendations/cautionary notes on a travel case for a Vive system? Hard-side would be nice but whatever. And I figure I'd carry tripods/ballheads separately (unless there's a better solution)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It's much more interesting than Job Simulator because you have to keep up with the demand of orders instead of "Hello Worker, Please make a burger for us to consume". Its depth comes from the actual challenge as part of its design rather than the breadth of interaction that Job Simulator allows for which is often confused for its "depth".

Yeah, but Cook, Serve, Delicious manages to do both. That's what I was wanting. C,S,D has the speed and challenge but slowly lets you unlock more and more recipes, machinery, improve the quality of your diner, change the menu to attract different customers, etc.

I wasn't saying Job Sim was deep. Its obviously not. That's the point. I wanted something deeper. But this feels even more shallow, even if it has challenge. Maybe there's more to it than what I'm seeing in the trailer.

The reviews are all pretty glowing though so I may pick it up anyways at that price.

But one of the reviewers was like "man if we could get pizza diner or sushi diner as DLC that'd be great" and that's exactly the kind of thing I'm thinking. C,S,D has that stuff as well as the Root Beer Tapper style tenacity.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Cool, fights with the missus is pretty much what I'm after. Trying to be a bit more careful about rapid purchases, already had to return Soundboxing because I didn't realise that there's no offline play. My d/l speed means I'd be standing around waiting for each youtube video to load.

In terms of other asymmetric games, I'm also considering these:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/566530/Mass_Exodus/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/541930/Panoptic/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/341800/Keep_Talking_and_Nobody_Explodes/

But you're right, it's a way undertapped market. People with kids especially would buy heaps of these sorts of games.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Nobody Explodes is highly recommended and the other "player" can be on anything from a smartphone to a printed piece of paper to a laptop to the same computer as your VIVE is on. Definitely get that one since its on sale, if you like party games and board game style affairs.

Chadzok posted:

But you're right, it's a way undertapped market. People with kids especially would buy heaps of these sorts of games.

Yeah for real, the PSVR demo disc has a few little things like, there's one where one player is a ghost buster but he can't see the ghosts, but the other players can see the ghosts on the TV and have to shout out where they are for the ghostbuster in VR to vacuum them up.

Or there's one where the guy in VR is godzilla and the other players control little characters with controllers who are running away from the godzilla on the TV. The VR player actually bobs his head around to munch the players like he's a godzilla, he has no controller, only his body movements. Its wild stuff.

We really need more of that.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

I've got a proper racing seat and wheel and I've got a VR setup but I've mostly played war thunder / elite dangerous in VR as well as all the job sims and stuff like that, I tried some racing games on the Oculus DK1 and DK2 forever ago and got kinda turned off because the support wasn't there yet.

iRacing is real hardcore but I kinda want something with a little more polish. I bought Assetto Corsa forever ago but I've literally never played it, I guess I should try it out but dunno how VR support is. Is Project CARS any better?

I also have Dirt 2 but I think VR support for that one was hack-y and expirimental at best. And then I have all the Forzas and Gran Turismos which is why I have a racing wheel in the first place, but none of those support VR obviously.

Oh, another reason I'm not as crazy about iRacing is I'm not really an Indy racer at all, and I hate stock car racing. I much prefer rally cars and sports cars.

Iracing has sports cars too, not a ton and they're expensive but loads of road courses as well. Most of the famous ones and a lot of american tracks you can't get elsewhere. Its my preferred sim ATM. Also the multiplayer is the cleanest racing ive ever seen online.

Pain in the rear end to get started in, menus are not good in vr, and no ai, and $15 a month for downsides. If you want multiplayer its the way to go despite the flaws.

Want to race ai? Project cars is pretty solid. A lot of cars and tracks, cheaper long term, nicer graphics I usually turn down, to busy at vr resolutions.

It has multiplayer too but its a ghost town and when you find a race you'll get punted in turn one.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Zaphod42 posted:

It really depends. There are a lot of people who dive right into VR and love it. But iRacing is still full of "never VR" people who absolutely refuse to use VR and think it is a fad. These are usually people who already have triples and don't want to spend more money that also makes their other two monitors redundant. I still don't get it. There are some people there who tried VR but go back to Triples because they want the higher resolution and more FOV, but there are people who won't even give VR a try and think any sim adding VR support is a waste of time.

In any case, Project Cars is probably your best bet if you want decent AI. It's AI is pretty crap, but it has the best AI of the racing sims with VR support. It has full VR support, but I think it is arrow keys/dpad only. Though Project Cars 2 is on the horizon, no idea when that comes out.

Assetto Corsa has better driving than PCars but the AI sucks. It has decent multiplayer though. There's some service that is trying to emulate iRacing for AC. The VR support is also kind of lazy. The guy who makes AC is a giant douche who was one of the "never VR" people until Oculus sent him a Rift. After that, he was all about it. The way the game is set up is that there is a main executable for the menus, and then another one opens up to run the sim. There's no VR for the menus, so you have to either take off your headset, or use Virtual Desktop. once in the sim, you can use the mouse to click things. I don't think he ever added a "reset VR" keybind, so you have to either do Ctrl + Space or press the look left/right keys at the same time.

Dirt Rally is really good and has full VR support. I don't think Dirt 4 does. Dirt Rally was some sort of more realistic rally enthusiast game and Dirt 4 is back to the old formula.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

When you say the AI sucks, what do you mean exactly? Unrealistic driving? Rubber-banding and cheating? Or just easy to beat and slow?

I'm not really a competitive racer.

Dirt Rally being on sale for $17 makes me think I should pick that one up for now. Like I said, rally is more my thing. May get Project Cars down the line. iRacing is super cool but I really hate monthly fees and I'm not competitive so not my cup of tea.

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA

mellowjournalism posted:

Keep us updated-- I'm way more physically active than the average VR player and keeping track of the cord is the #1 most annoying thing. I was thinking of something like this too, might even attach it to my Subpac

I just came back with 2 large leashes, and now have 2 retractable dog leashes at each spot where I previously had one - each set is one small leash and one heavy duty leash. The small one has a small clasp which holds the cable snug, the large one has a bigger clasp and so it lets there be a little play in the cabling, but it has exactly enough purchase to pull the cable all the way back up, eliminating the sag, when I back up. The sets are about 2-3 feet apart, and there's about 5-6 feet worth of slack cable between them to allow for a nice amount of give when I need it, but doesn't feel like it's pulling me back until I get right to the edge of my play area, which is perfect.

A quick test right now and I really had to work to get the cable tangled up, like, I had to intentionally do movements I would never do in order to cause it. I did squats, went prone even, spun around a few times, and it worked like I'd hoped. Success! Not bad for ~$40 in dog leashes and $5 worth of cup hooks and double sided tape. It isn't the most attractive thing in the world, but then again, it's in my home office/workshop so it doesn't need to be attractive, just out of the way. I also set up some hooks on the wall so I have my controllers and headset hanging there.

Now that I've got this, I'm going to look at improving it by setting up a trolley system - mount a rail on the rafter that has a caster in it, feed the cable through that, and have a really strong retractor mounted next to the 3 cable box to spool it out/reel it in as I move, so there's never any slack. That'll look better, but will have to experiment to see if I can actually make it work well. It's going to be really nice to get all that stuff just totally out of the way until I actually need to use it.

The Subpac looks pretty neat - I'm imagining it making the experience much more immersive, and that's pretty drat exciting. Right now my audio is an inexpensive pair of over the ear headphones since the earbuds that came with the Vive are too big to fit in my ears, and they keep falling out, even if I use the smallest rubber dealies. Deluxe audio strap will be ordered once it's back in stock, but for now this'll do.

mellowjournalism posted:

I had a great VR moment yesterday where a bad guy in Gladius spawned weird and got pushed up into the crowd bleachers, so I sprinted forward and leapt 3 feet in the loving air and cut his god damned legs off :black101:

edit: If you haven't played Onward/Pavlov/FPS games, try those too, your crouching gets tracked so you can work dem thighs busting sick nasty 720 dropshots

I love those kinds of moments - when you can use the medium to do something really funky and cool. I played Gorn on the Rift with Revive, and at some point I got so frustrated with being unable to kill one of the armored guys that I just grabbed his head with one hand, grabbed his shoulder with the other one, and TORE HIS HEAD OFF. I then picked up his body and swung it at the second guy.

That said, I'm not a huge fan of FPSs, and probably would be less so when it comes to VR - seriously, my fight or flight kicks in so hard that it becomes intensely uncomfortable to play most of them. Gorn is cartoony enough that I didn't stress, and since Gladius looks more or less like that, except slightly less absurd graphics, it's about the level I can handle. I might try Superhot since that's also not terribly realistic and you can more or less slow it down by not moving.

Really, games like Climbey and such are more my speed - PvE instead of PvP, and not so much a hostile environment at that, but one that instead is just challenging to navigate.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Echo Arena beta is in two days (7/6) and you can preload it now

Echo Arena

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I'll definitely be giving it another shot now Revive is more compatible with it, it has potential.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
It's easily the most fun I've had in VR it is insanely good

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Echo Arena is insanely good. Def practice in the side rooms before jumping into a game though

metztli posted:

That said, I'm not a huge fan of FPSs, and probably would be less so when it comes to VR - seriously, my fight or flight kicks in so hard that it becomes intensely uncomfortable to play most of them. Gorn is cartoony enough that I didn't stress, and since Gladius looks more or less like that, except slightly less absurd graphics, it's about the level I can handle. I might try Superhot since that's also not terribly realistic and you can more or less slow it down by not moving.

Really, games like Climbey and such are more my speed - PvE instead of PvP, and not so much a hostile environment at that, but one that instead is just challenging to navigate.

Awesome stuff with the retracting rig, gonna redo my room setup soon so you've given me a lot of food for thought.

Definitely start with Superhot because you can take allllll the time you want to plan out john woo's human jenga. To be clear, you're not just slowing it down, the entire world is frozen if you're not moving.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Zaphod42 posted:

iRacing for online when I want to sit down and get stuck into some decent racing. I am totally a mid pack runner but that's OK in iRacing as long as you are on pace and safe you'll do OK. Plus the voice chat is hilarious and full of 'OH COME THE gently caress ON!' type stuff, then as you progress in licences it becomes less wrecky and much more fun. I can come away from iRacing having placed 8th but be really happy with how I've done, it's unique in that people tend to care about racing 'properly'

I also fin it suits VR best of anything, I am not sure why but iRacing looks very 'right' in VR, everything is crisp and clear.

Assetto Corsa is awesome for online - but with a caveat. They have hosted sessions that are Track Day or even Role Play and what they are are servers that run for hours at a time, no racing unless both drivers agree and a crazy variety of cars. You'll get hatchbacks on at the same time as F1 cars, stuff like that and the idea is you just plod along until someone wants a race for a while or just chill and have fun lapping and zooming past / getting zoomed past other cars.
It's superb and they are usually on the Nords which is perfect for it. They usually have two of each car so I like to find my car bro and duel with them :3: They all seem to 'get it' as well and it's in good fun.
I also find AC has the best force feedback too. Get the DLC, it changes the game completely.

Project Cars is great for single player career type stuff and it's drop dead gorgeous to look at too. I am lucky enough to be able to run it at full settings and the weather alone makes it worth a look, there are some breath taking views in that game.

Then Dirty Rally is just drat good fun, looks great and is a challenge.

So I don't have a favourite as such, just those four scratch different itches

Zaphod42 posted:

When you say the AI sucks, what do you mean exactly?

It's brutal and gets away with murder, not rubberbanding but they tend to stick to a rigid line (to the point where they come to a standstill at sharp bends - as in completely not move again) and 'gently caress YOU' if you cross them, they will come out on top. Things have improved recently but it's still less than ideal

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 5, 2017

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Lemming posted:

Echo Arena beta is in two days (7/6) and you can preload it now

Echo Arena

My hope is this beta round opens up the full 5v5 instead of the 3v3 limit of the last beta. As fun as the game was, its going to be reaaaaly interesting with those extra 2 people and some real offense/defense organizing.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I think at this point they're planning on it being 3v3 for matchmaking and you can go up to 5v5 for private matches (which might make it in). They've said the matches will feel a little less empty once people get better at the game

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Tom Guycot posted:

thanks, just picked this up. after resisting for a while I've now purchased three games with Oculus, this Robo Recall and the Climb. Sure hope they don't ever break Revive.

edit: oh and dirt 4 too I forgot about that. played Chronos a while back too. The Oculus stuff is all really good.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jul 5, 2017

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

This is why the best thing that VR companies could do right now is set up VR parlors all over the country where people can come and play Star Trek Bridge Crew for free.

I'm only, like, 25% joking.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Roadie posted:

This is why the best thing that VR companies could do right now is set up VR parlors all over the country where people can come and play Star Trek Bridge Crew for free.

I'm only, like, 25% joking.

If you have 2 vives on different PC's, can they share the lighthouses?

That had potential...

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Lemming posted:

I think at this point they're planning on it being 3v3 for matchmaking and you can go up to 5v5 for private matches (which might make it in). They've said the matches will feel a little less empty once people get better at the game

That seems silly, why wouldn't they let you have 5v5 for random match making? Thats a really weird limitation that I hope they don't stick with. I enjoyed the heck out of it as 3v3 don't get me wrong, but often if you got a breakaway it was just too easy to score even if one person was back as goalie. Who knows though, either way I'm pumped to play it some more. I really hope their "free for the first 3 months" because of intel sponsorship or whatever means absolutely free, like lucky's tale or Mission ISS (sidenote, please try mission ISS y'all, its so neat to explore the space station in such detail), and not just free for touch owners like robo recall. I want as big of a multiplayer community as possible.

The Walrus posted:

thanks, just picked this up. after resisting for a while I've now purchased three games with Oculus, this Robo Recall and the Climb. Sure hope they don't ever break Revive.

edit: oh and dirt 4 too I forgot about that. played Chronos a while back too. The Oculus stuff is all really good.

I think it would be suicide for them to ever block revive. The one time it broke they changed it within like a week, and while it proooobably was broken on purpose, they still maintain it was an accident and not intended. I mean at this point enough people have bought stuff from the store they would generate a singularity of bad will if they basically took all those peoples purchases away. They'd turn people hostile, they'd lose all chance of any of those people who bought stuff with revive considering oculus gen 2 or 3 hardware for life. The bad press would be monumental and they'd royally piss off all kinds of oculus owners as well like myself who have friends with vives I've played stuff like dead and buried with, looking forward to playing 'from other suns', 'echo arena' together, or just plain recommended games to them to pick up on the oculus store. Not to mention the headache they would cause to developers who are only on oculus home and now have angry customers pissed at them because they can't play their game anymore. It would be a nightmare for everyone involved.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Tom Guycot posted:

That seems silly, why wouldn't they let you have 5v5 for random match making? Thats a really weird limitation that I hope they don't stick with. I enjoyed the heck out of it as 3v3 don't get me wrong, but often if you got a breakaway it was just too easy to score even if one person was back as goalie. Who knows though, either way I'm pumped to play it some more. I really hope their "free for the first 3 months" because of intel sponsorship or whatever means absolutely free, like lucky's tale or Mission ISS (sidenote, please try mission ISS y'all, its so neat to explore the space station in such detail), and not just free for touch owners like robo recall. I want as big of a multiplayer community as possible.

I think if people aren't very good then having more people doesn't really solve that problem, and the "everybody just move directly towards the disc at all times" thing that results in blobs would just get worse. Presumably they've tested it out internally and that number works better.

And yeah, I'm assuming it'll be the free to add to your account type free and not open for a few months until they charge, I feel like the game is good enough that it could break out like rocket league did, but I think it'll only happen if it's free.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Getting used to Sairento's lack of polish again after playing Robo Recall took some adjusting to, but man I probably count that game as one of the best "actual" games available at the moment. By that I mean that it's quick to load, easily replayable, and solid fun that doesn't wear out its welcome or become gimmicky quickly.

I love its movement controls and how easy it is to launch across rooms, double jump and wallrun. It's hard not to feel like a badass with full locomotion at 100 movespeed, dual wielding plasma blades and hacking up a ton of mooks - it's just a solid power fantasy that really shines in VR because you're aiming the guns and flailing like a moron with the swords.

Again, lack of polish is the real bugbear with the game. Melee doesn't really have much impact if you're not using plasma blades, enemy animations can sometimes snap and clip in awkward ways and there's just a general budget feel to things. The devs are doing a good job of keeping it updated regularly so that's encouraging to see.

Is Raw Data worth playing as a solo gamer? I hear a lot of praise but it's largely from co-op people, something I'm not really into unless it's with friends. How does it compare to Sairento and Robo Recall?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Quell4d just isn't grabbing me. It makes me want to just load up doom3vr. I won't return it, but I probably won't play it much unless someone tells me it gets interesting at some point (i'm on level 4 or so).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Alpha Phoenix posted:

If you have 2 vives on different PC's, can they share the lighthouses?

That had potential...

Yep! A friend and I did this a few weeks ago, and it worked great.

e: With the exception of one case: where you and the other player are in line with each other and both lighthouses, and facing each other. Then you end up with some occlusion.

TheRagamuffin fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jul 5, 2017