Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I'm perpetually amazed at the large quantities of time people will waste or inconveniences they will put themselves through to save trivial amounts of money.

Like I get it if you are in a tough situation where you've only got time to spend and no money, but that's not what it is in many cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Cold on a Cob posted:

Amateur landlords never cease to amaze me. God bless mine for subsidizing my living expenses though.

I've done a lot of tax returns for (mostly) amateur landlords, and I can tell you that 50% of them at best make a net income on their rentals. The only upside is that you get someone to subsidize your property as it appreciates in value.

It's still not a good investment idea, but you can at least get a deduction on your income taxes, and when you do eventually sell, it's taxed at 50% of your marginal rate instead of full income amount.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Guinness posted:

I'm perpetually amazed at the large quantities of time people will waste or inconveniences they will put themselves through to save trivial amounts of money.

Like I get it if you are in a tough situation where you've only got time to spend and no money, but that's not what it is in many cases.

More like time he will waste/inconvenience in order to make an internet post about how that being cheaper is absurd. He probably had fun on the beach, as well.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

More like time he will waste/inconvenience in order to make an internet post about how that being cheaper is absurd. He probably had fun on the beach, as well.

Yeah, being a student allows him to get away with this sort of stuff and the internet fame probably justifies the means, but 18 hours on a beach while only springing for one cocktail and sleeping in a rental car in order to reach these "savings" is a stretch. Did he even eat?!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Teeter posted:

Guy thinks that the train from Newcastle to London is too expensive so he finds a cheaper route by flying indirectly through the Spanish island of Menorca instead.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tyne-40457453

Not traditional BWM in the overspending sense but I've gotta say it's a pretty bad use of cash. He saves £50 but added about 18 hours to his travel time.

Not great if your time is valuable, but he is a student

quote:

As well as the flights, he also spent £7.50 on a hire car, which he slept in, and splashed out on a £4 cocktail - meaning his entire trip was £40 cheaper than taking the train.
"I had a great time, saw a festival, drove around the island for a bit and met loads of people."

Hell of a lot more fun than a British train.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

The actual album isn't amazing, but this Imgur title sure calls to this thread: So far my free boat has only cost me $500 (day 3)

Trying to get a link but stymied by my phone. I'll try to edit it in

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

mojo1701a posted:

I've done a lot of tax returns for (mostly) amateur landlords, and I can tell you that 50% of them at best make a net income on their rentals. The only upside is that you get someone to subsidize your property as it appreciates in value.

It's still not a good investment idea, but you can at least get a deduction on your income taxes, and when you do eventually sell, it's taxed at 50% of your marginal rate instead of full income amount.

And you have to recapture all that depreciation. Unless you are in the highest tax bracket you are not saving any money on depreciation. So even if you are making a small amount each year you will have a tax bill due when you sell

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

lampey posted:

And you have to recapture all that depreciation. Unless you are in the highest tax bracket you are not saving any money on depreciation. So even if you are making a small amount each year you will have a tax bill due when you sell

Solution to deprecation recapture: never sell

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

That guy is not nearly as good of a writer as he thinks he is.

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe

Noggin Monkey posted:

That guy is not nearly as good of a writer as he thinks he is.

I think he was imitating the register's bofh house style tbh

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

lampey posted:

They could 1031 exchange into another property if they are in the US, then when it finally passes to your heirs, the cost basis steps up and they can start depreciating the asset anew or sell it without capital gains.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

crazypeltast52 posted:

They could 1031 exchange into another property if they are in the US, then when it finally passes to your heirs, the cost basis steps up and they can start depreciating the asset anew or sell it without capital gains.

I can almost guarantee you the people I talk to that want to be landlords "on the side" are not aware of these things and would claim to make a profit but never talk about the furnace that just blew out and wiped out the last 12months of their razor thin margins.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Ye Olde Bad With Money Tournamente will be accepting submissions through the end of the work week. If you haven't nominated a historical BWM story yet, now's the time!

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Also this is an extremely good post

Breetai posted:

John Smith watches the toddler approach the hot stove and smirks: the child is about to learn a valuable lesson. Two lessons, in fact, if it does not have the wherewithal and foresight to later apply an ointment to the burn to avoid infection setting in. He dispassionately watches the object lesson in self-actualisation unfold.

"WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF THESE NOISES?" he asks the shrieking child.

Then he notices the tears.

"ALL THIS SERVES TO DO IS DEHYDRATE YOURSELF! WHY DO YOU NOT ACT IN AN OPTIMAL FASHION?"

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
My father called me the other day to let me know that they finally listened to me about their timeshare and American Airlines Credit Card (that has an annual fee and they only use debit) were wastes of money.

Hooray.

They cancelled the card and then somehow rolled their timeshare into a different package from the timeshare vendor. This new one has access to different places, so they will be more likely to use it!

:negative:

Apparently, they could have sold the timeshare but they like the idea of being "forced" to take a vacation and not having to do research or price-shopping.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jul 5, 2017

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

My father called me the other day to let me know that they finally listened to me about their timeshare and American Airlines Credit Card (that has an annual fee and they only use debit) were wastes of money.

Hooray.

They cancelled the card and then somehow rolled their timeshare into a different package from the timeshare vendor. This new one has access to different places, so they will be more likely to use it!

:negative:

Apparently, they could have sold the timeshare but they like the idea of being "forced" to take a vacation and not having to do research or price-shopping.

I can force them to take vacations and tell them where to go for the cost of a gun and a nominal googling fee

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

You can lead a horse to a timeshare but you can't make him sell.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Hoodwinker posted:

You can lead a horse to a timeshare but you can't make him sell.

you can lead a horese to a timeshare, and he will see it, and get scared and die

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Horse timeshares: for people who like the idea of being "forced" to have horses

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

lampey posted:

That's true, which is why we usually don't take depreciation on them unless the client's already in a high bracket, we make it clear to the client to hold on to that cash when they sell.

Also in Canada, you can't take depreciation (or CCA as it's called on our returns) to create or increase a loss. Don't know how it is in the US.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

In a related vein, one of my coworkers is currently complaining that they were very disappointed in their hotel they stayed at in Jamaica. It was a 5-star hotel and she did not like it at all.

She is especially upset because she hired a "high-end" travel agent to plan her trip.

Based on her re-telling, it looks like she got booked at a Sandals all-inclusive resort and they booked a horseback ride on the beach and a tour through town.

I have no idea how much the high-end travel agent cost, but I'm pretty sure that making a reservation at a Sandals resort is not difficult.

Mainly, I just wanted to post this because it reminded me that travel agents still exist, people still use them, and apparently the market sector is diverse enough that they have "high-end" agents.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Serious question: travel agents still exist?!

e: Well I guess it makes sense for rich people who need to feel coddled and can't be assed to do things themselves without someone assuring them that they're getting the best most exclusive version of something

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

ate all the Oreos posted:

I can confirm that, as of July 5th in the year of our lord 2017, at least one does.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

spog posted:

drat gays, wanting to be treated like normal people. They should just stay in the closet and not bring attention to themselves.
Exactly. drat fools just don't learn. If you are living under my roof, then you obey my orders. Whether you agree with my orders or not is immaterial, your compliance is what is required. If my orders are for you to spin 3 times like a top every time you walk through a interior door, then you drat well spin.

Breetai posted:

You're equally entitled to post like a randroid lacking in basic humanity, and the consequence of your unwise action is to have people motivated by something other than relentless cynicism call you out for it.

Entitlement to express your views is not entitlement to remain immune to criticism for them.
I wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment. But that isn't just it, is it? I do get probated as well, even though there was consensus agreement that I was (factually) not wrong.

Enfys posted:

It would have been better for her if she had listened to her brother, but she didn't fully understand the potential consequences of the risk she was taking
Oh, I think she is clearer on the big picture now...

Haifisch posted:

Yeah, her choices in that situation were basically "keep it all bottled up ..." or "[tell the mugger, gently caress you, you don't have the balls to pull the trigger, you bitch]".

It's a hell of a choice, and it doesn't do anyone any good to berate ... kids who chose 'wrong'.
You are right. Had to be done.

pig slut lisa posted:

Also this is an extremely good post
I actually do agree with that sentiment for 16 years old. No joke. "Don't touch the stove, you idiot!!!"

tldr: Self-actualisation is a luxury reserved for those capable of feeding / housing themselves.

John Smith fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jul 5, 2017

Jan 11, 2004

mojo1701a posted:

That's true, which is why we usually don't take depreciation on them unless the client's already in a high bracket, we make it clear to the client to hold on to that cash when they sell.

Also in Canada, you can't take depreciation (or CCA as it's called on our returns) to create or increase a loss. Don't know how it is in the US.

Rental properties in the United States depreciate like other capital assets, as far as I know it is not optional to depreciate when dealing with schedule E rental assets. It is a simple subtracted element of taxable gain or loss and it is definitely possible to have a cash gain but tax loss on rental properties on the United States.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

My mom takes pilgrimages (ie package tours that are organized through the church) and I'm pretty sure they use a travel agent, mostly because they're all 50+ people that don't want to plan their own trip.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Yeah organizing travel for 50 people is a little different than just googling plane tickets and hotel rooms, it's understandable that you would use a travel agency for something like that. Just like you'd use a wedding planner to organize a dinner and party for 200 people *lobs grenade into thread, ducks*

Oh, agreed. I was just saying that they still exist.

poo poo, I meant they're all at least 50+ years old, not that there's 50+ people going. It's usually more like 8-10 and some of them need to be dragged to try new things.

I mean, I'm going to Paris in a month and a half, and she still thinks I should've booked with some tour group instead of doing my own research and finding out what's interesting to do and what's cool to eat and see, etc.

mojo1701a fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jul 5, 2017

Jan 11, 2004

mojo1701a posted:

My mom takes pilgrimages (ie package tours that are organized through the church) and I'm pretty sure they use a travel agent, mostly because they're all 50+ people that don't want to plan their own trip.

Yeah organizing travel for 50 people is a little different than just googling plane tickets and hotel rooms, it's understandable that you would use a travel agency for something like that. Just like you'd use a wedding planner to organize a dinner and party for 200 people *lobs grenade into thread, ducks*

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Mainly for old people that are scared of computers and corporate travel.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Rental properties in the United States depreciate like other capital assets, as far as I know it is not optional to depreciate when dealing with schedule E rental assets. It is a simple subtracted element of taxable gain or loss and it is definitely possible to have a cash gain but tax loss on rental properties on the United States.

Hmm. In Canada, you have a maximum allowable amount of depreciation you can take, but it's still your choice as to how much you want to claim on any asset (again, unless it causes a loss on a rental; business and corporate income allows it). It's basically like any other line item expense (except its calculation is on another page of the schedule).

The only upside to not claiming CCA is that there's a larger percentage claimable as it's all based on declining balance.

That's good to know, thanks. We have a few clients that we do 1040's for, but they're almost always non-residents so we never do anything more than that.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

e: Well I guess it makes sense for rich people who need to feel coddled and can't be assed to do things themselves without someone assuring them that they're getting the best most exclusive version of something

We used one to book part of our honeymoon but if you're doing it for anything other than getting a deal on a hotel and flight you're doing it wrong.

Sure if you love sanitized bullshit, have a travel agent plan your activities I guess. Seems dumb as hell.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

John Smith posted:

Exactly. drat fools just don't learn. If you are living under my roof, then you obey my orders. Whether you agree with my orders or not is immaterial, your compliance is what is required. If my orders are for you to spin 3 times like a top every time you walk through a interior door, then you drat well spin.
I wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment. But that isn't just it, is it? I do get probated as well, even though there was consensus agreement that I was (factually) not wrong.
I actually do agree with that sentiment for 16 years old. No joke. "Don't touch the stove, you idiot!!!"

tldr: Self-actualisation is a luxury reserved for those capable of feeding / housing themselves.

Can you gently caress off with your low rent ayn rand bullshit to some other thread already? Post and/or discuss BWM for once in your miserable life instead of constantly making GBS threads this thread up.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6ld567/20000_cc_debt_9000_left_on_car_loan_just_barely/

quote:

So as the title says I am very in debt due to some very bad financial decisions as well as some stuff going on in my personal life. Im fully accepting that I made this bed and now I'm lying in it.

My debt is as follows $20,000 on a 11.99% CC $9,000 left owing on an auto finance

Currently I make $26,000 a year after tax which works out to be about $2154/mo and $1077 each paycheck. Currently my fixed monthly costs are as follows

Rent - $790 Auto Loan - $340 Car Insurance - $210 Gas - $120 ish Dog food - $90 Food - around $200 per month Phone - $80 Gym - $30

All this equals around $1860, so after all that I have around $294 left over for paying debt or anything small for myself.

My minimum payments for my CC are around $200-$250 arm so I'm barely paying my monthly interest at this point.

I just secured a job where I will be making $32,891/year after tax, $2740/mnth which after all my fixed expenses will leave me with around $881 a month. My main question is should I put all of that towards my CC Debt or should I be putting maybe minimum payments + $250-$400 towards that and putting the rest in savings?

More debt than their (current) annual income, of which 2/3 is spent on rent/car. Not a recipe for success.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

What kind of dog eats $120 worth of food each month?

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

I could see it very easily happening for a larger breed.

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

I TAKE PHOTOS OF OTHER PEOPLE'S CHILDREN IN PLANET FITNESS

A healthy 1,100-pound horse will eat feed and hay costing from $100 to more than $250 per month on average.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Noctone posted:

I could see it very easily happening for a larger breed.

I have a tiny dog now that will take 2 months or more to finish a 30-lb bag of the fancy dry food that costs $50. It's nice.

But I've had a Samoyed and an Akita who both ate fancy dry food and didn't get up to $120 a month.

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
horses are vegan

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I love it when people throw out these incredibly vague fixed costs to come up with a precise leftover amount of their paycheque.

$294 is a very precise number given that he gives a vague food budget, no mention of any kind of sundry expenses (unless he lumps everything like cleaning supplies under food), no vet care, no car maintenance, no mention of other bills like heat/electricity (maybe these are included in rent though), no entertainment.

People can pile up a lot of debt when they have no real sense of what they are actually spending each month.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

I have a tiny dog now that will take 2 months or more to finish a 30-lb bag of the fancy dry food that costs $50. It's nice.

But I've had a Samoyed and an Akita who both ate fancy dry food and didn't get up to $120 a month.

I was thinking more like a Great Dane or a Mastiff.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

Enfys posted:

I love it when people throw out these incredibly vague fixed costs to come up with a precise leftover amount of their paycheque.

$294 is a very precise number given that he gives a vague food budget, no mention of any kind of sundry expenses (unless he lumps everything like cleaning supplies under food), no vet care, no car maintenance, no mention of other bills like heat/electricity (maybe these are included in rent though), no entertainment.

People can pile up a lot of debt when they have no real sense of what they are actually spending each month.

Im sure there are plenty of articles on this out there already, but people are really good at predicting inflows yet terrible at projecting outflows.

A lot of times someone will say "my grocery bill was $50 this week so multiply by 4 and it's $200 a month" without for a second imagining they might want to go to a restaurant at some point in June. Or you know...buy Christmas or holiday gifts in November/December

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

John Smith posted:

ok honey

e: Crap that's a lame snipe :sigh: