Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

ThinkTank posted:

So is Kovalchuk the only interesting free agent left? The rest of the list is basically him, Cody Franson, Drew Stafford and Johnny Oduya.

Oh god we're into the horrible doldrums of the offseason aren't we.

Vanek and Jagr!

Also, now we're into the RFA drama part of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
that subban picture is really awkward

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Cody franson is still a decent 2-4 guy, no? He just asking too much or is everyone really so happy with their defence?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Kilza posted:

Oh dear. As I wrote earlier:

I don't trust the Avs to use him efficiently. I don't think this is going to end well. :ohdear:

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/882279491988598788

They're going to do to him what they did to Grigorenko (get him a lucrative contract in the KHL)

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

JoelJoel posted:

Cody franson is still a decent 2-4 guy, no? He just asking too much or is everyone really so happy with their defence?

Pittsburgh, Chicago, Ottawa and Dallas should not be happy with their defense.

But I think theyre all confident in their goalies enough to play the waiting game.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

jokinen sucked last year and Vanek was a rental that played 20 games.

They still have to add 5 players to their roster. I'm sure they can find a couple of 25 point forwards to do what Jokinen and Vanek did.

The only piece they've actually lost and not covered is Jagr meanwhile they hopefully have Huberdeau for more than 30 games and Bjugstad could unfuck himself.

Again they aren't better but they aren't actually worse than where they were last year.

they lost 5 of their top 6 wingers and have signed 2 replacements. its nice to say jussi sucked and vanek was a rental but both of them were real human beings and both played hockey on a team that already had awful forward depth and are no longer there, with nobody replacing them.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Now I can forget Yakupov exists, much like I do with the entire Avalanche organization for months at a time.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Cody Franson is fools' gold. You could do worse as a 5-6 guy I suppose but anything more than that would be a mistake

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
If they want Yak to be useful, they should probably play him on Duchene's wing but I don't think they'll do that (if Duchene is even on the Avs at the start of the year).

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Ok, so the answer to "Who would want to go to the Avs right now?" is Nail Yakupov.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Aye Doc posted:

they lost 5 of their top 6 wingers and have signed 2 replacements. its nice to say jussi sucked and vanek was a rental but both of them were real human beings and both played hockey on a team that already had awful forward depth and are no longer there, with nobody replacing them.

Ya thats why I said they have to add 5 players to the roster? They only have 18 players signed atm.

Those two players had 35 points between them over a full season. They can probably replace that with like Drew Staffoed or maybe even Thomas Vanek!!!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 4, 2017

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Mike_V posted:

If they want Yak to be useful, they should probably play him on Duchene's wing but I don't think they'll do that (if Duchene is even on the Avs at the start of the year).

If I'm the avs I give him all the pp time and staple him to better players to fool some dumb gm at the deadline into thinking he's a good player. I mean, they're hosed this year anyway, so might as well make a point to flip assets and stockpile picks and prospects.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Franson is a competent bottom-pair defender who used to put up good possession against weak comp and have good power play numbers. The PP has dried up a little for him and he's a big slow guy so his errors usually end up looking real bad, but he's definitely a depth option that someone should sign.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
gently caress kovalchuk

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

CBJSprague24 posted:

Ok, so the answer to "Who would want to go to the Avs right now?" is Nail Yakupov.

Fail for Nail part... What are we up to now anyway

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

corn on the cop posted:

gently caress kovalchuk

Columbus or Russia?

i choose death

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Levitate posted:

Bergevin did the right thing imo.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

CBJSprague24 posted:

Also Jonathan Bernier because he's that desperate for an "NHL" goaltending job

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
So... the Avs are finishing last again next year, right?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Was nobody else willing to give Yakupov that contract or was nobody else willing to guarantee the ice time?

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Both the Canucks and Golden Knights will be challenging for that honour.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Spelling Mitsake posted:

the canucks goalies are markstrom and nilsson, mdz is prob their second best dman, they have literally zero effective penalty killers, gagne is their best power play guy, ...

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

the talent deficit posted:

the canucks goalies are markstrom and nilsson, mdz is prob their second best dman, they have literally zero effective penalty killers, gagne is their best power play guy, ...

MDZ ahead of Tanev, Edler, and Stetcher?

Like, going by offense?

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Couple of re-signings:
https://twitter.com/renlavoietva/status/882351713012809729
https://twitter.com/Capitals/status/882328162855735297

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

https://twitter.com/DimFilipovic/status/882333049685385216

The Caps would almost certainly be better in 2 or 3 years, and perhaps immediately if they'd followed that plan.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Is there a bigger bust of a 1OA than YakCity? gently caress, how far his stock done fell.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

glynnenstein posted:

https://twitter.com/DimFilipovic/status/882333049685385216

The Caps would almost certainly be better in 2 or 3 years, and perhaps immediately if they'd followed that plan.

Could have kept MoJo too.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Wamsutta posted:

Is there a bigger bust of a 1OA than YakCity? gently caress, how far his stock done fell.

gord kluzak, maybe patrick stefan, definitely the 3 guys from the 60s who never played in the nhl

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

JawKnee posted:

MDZ ahead of Tanev, Edler, and Stetcher?

Like, going by offense?

going by goodness. edler is pretty washed up and stetcher only looks good when compared to trash like gudbranson, sbisa and hutton

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Wamsutta posted:

Bryan Berard.

I mean, Yak City didn't give all his money to a con man or get busted for steroids.

Granted Yak hasn't had his eye chopped in half, and he is still young.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Aye Doc posted:

gord kluzak, maybe patrick stefan, definitely the 3 guys from the 60s who never played in the nhl

brian lawton, doug wickenheiser, the guy that wanted to be a movie star

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
when can we stop using the "he's young" excuse for a soon-to-be 24-year-old with 300 games under his belt

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

corn on the cop posted:

when can we stop using the "he's young" excuse for a soon-to-be 24-year-old with 300 games under his belt

I blame the Oilers.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

corn on the cop posted:

no?
18-29- kid
20-24 - young
25-29 - prime
30-34 - old
35-39 - really old
40-44 - grampa
45+ - Jagr

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
This is the year Yak gets to shake the "he played for the Oilers" negative vibe.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

yellowcar posted:

I blame the Oilers.

I blame Dallas Eakins by way of the Oilers.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
most forwards enter their prime years at the age yakupov is still trying to figure it out. it's easier to say that despite having immense tools he's a marginal player who can't think the game.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Because there were so many people inquiring about it, the Oilers are having the memorial service for Dave Semenko in Rogers Place.

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/h...om-for-a-reason

They're expecting 4,000+,

quote:

Will it happen for most of the others?

“Probably not,” said Lowe.

“I guess Wayne, maybe Mark … I don’t know.”

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
I was going to go with Daigle but he apparently put up .5 pts per game so huh.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Levitate posted:

Some rando doing that would be cringe as hell, but PK is PK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Someone post the Patrik Stefan empty net video

• Locked thread