Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

cowofwar posted:

Graduate employment numbers are also declining every year. So every year tuition costs go up while in-field employment goes down. Which means eventually the actuaries at the banks will not provide loans for education anymore because there wont be confidence that it will be repaid. I guess Canada could make tuition free at that point but more likely backstop it with a CHMC for education.

Holy loving

I'm laughing out loud rn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

DariusLikewise posted:

There's gotta be a point where University either becomes only for the ultra-rich or enrollment drops so much that they have to lower or freeze tuition, no loving way my kid is paying 108k for a BA in the Liberal Arts

Public post-secondary tuition in Ontario is set by the province, not market forces.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Subjunctive posted:

Public post-secondary tuition in Ontario is set by the province, not market forces.

It's like that anywhere, but if the Provinces move prices too high enrollment will crater and they will either need to lower prices, offer more scholarships, close departments or just let Universities bleed money??

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

To lower tuition they would need to increase the money they give schools, which is unlikely to happen in a meaningful amount. More likely you'd see small schools close. At least in the college system, few schools could survive in the red for long. Probably also the case for the vast majority of universities too. (Exceptions being U of T, maybe Waterloo and UBC?)

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

ubc is basically a REIT with a crappy football team at this point

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

cowofwar posted:

First world countries need immigration and growth to stave off collapse, and the most difficult things to automate are fiddly jobs in non-standardized locations so probably a white collar trade like electrician. Although I'm sure regulations will continue to weaken so that instead of needing an electrician to do the work you can just hire a firm that has one electrician and they send a non-certified TFW to do the job after they get your app order.

Already happens. Technically you only need the electrician to do the connection at the panel or receptacles/etc. Running of cable is general labour (and generally takes the most time.)

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
On the one hand, it will be a very long time (if ever) before Rope Access situations are automated so I tell everyone it's a great bet for mid-term career stability. On the other hand, it's being flooded with garbage trainees from developing nations and our country really loves to suckle on TFW's. :suicide:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
The other issue is that with our merit based immigration people with language, education, and money get preference to come here. So they likely are already a step ahead education wise, however the verification of their accreditation is sometimes lacking.

110k for Arts majors I dunno though. Need to run that through a cost benefit analysis to see if you will ever make your money back... hahaha kidding you will never ever ever make that back in salary

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

namaste faggots posted:

My wealth manager~ got me to meet a financial planner and she was saying that we need to plan for 35k/year university tuition for our precious 2.5 year old snowflake. That's in today's dollars btw. For a Canadian university. Anyone else planning to spend that much?

By the time your kid is in college Waterloo co-ops are going to be paying like 15k/mo.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Jesus Christ my tuition in Ottawa 10 years ago was like $4000 a year.

edit: I just looked it up now, it looks like it's gone up to $4000 a semester :stare:

HookShot fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jul 6, 2017

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Does someone collecting a pension or withdrawing from an RRSP pay CPP/EI? What about dividend/capital gains - is CPP/EI paid on that? Cursory google search has let me down.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Guest2553 posted:

Does someone collecting a pension or withdrawing from an RRSP pay CPP/EI? What about dividend/capital gains - is CPP/EI paid on that? Cursory google search has let me down.

No you don't pay CPP/EI. No cap gains either.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

namaste faggots posted:

No you don't pay CPP/EI. No cap gains either.

Yeah, CPP is literally only on employment/business income, and EI is only on employment income that is considered arm's-length (ie. if you own or are related to the owner of a corporation, you pay no EI).

I know most of you know this already, but for anyone who's self-employed (or thinking about becoming self-employed) and has never realized this: not only is paying CPP your responsibility, but you're also paying double than that as an employee since you're now your own employer paying that portion.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
I have a TFSA and RRSP with them, and it's my understanding that I should expect withholding tax on Canadian held foreign funds, such as VXC. And since US held funds of US stock are exempt from withholding tax in RRSPs, I want to see what the impact is to decide if it's worth splitting my VXC into US-held VTI and an international fund like VIU.

How could I see withholding tax in Questrade? You'd think it'd be an entry on dividends, but there's no such information. Or is it collapsed into the net dividend and I have to consult Vanguard to determine what was taxed?

Jan fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 8, 2017

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

mojo1701a posted:

Yeah, CPP is literally only on employment/business income, and EI is only on employment income that is considered arm's-length (ie. if you own or are related to the owner of a corporation, you pay no EI).

I know most of you know this already, but for anyone who's self-employed (or thinking about becoming self-employed) and has never realized this: not only is paying CPP your responsibility, but you're also paying double than that as an employee since you're now your own employer paying that portion.

When I was self employed, my accountant told me not to bother paying either.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lexicon posted:

If you were under 18 or over 65, that was potentially valid advice. Otherwise dead wrong re: CPP.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

James Baud posted:

If you were under 18 or over 65, that was potentially valid advice. Otherwise dead wrong re: CPP.

Hmm, well it seems to have been consequence free :angel:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
If you're serious employed ei is optional.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

James Baud posted:

If you're self-employed you can opt out of CPP by filing an election.

Schedule 8, Canada Pension Plan Contributions and Overpayment for 2016, Box 372

quote:

I elect to stop contributing to the Canada Pension Plan on my self-employment earnings on the first day of the month that I entered in box 372.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/5000-s8/5000-s8-16e.pdf

grack fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 8, 2017

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

grack posted:

If you're self-employed you can opt out of CPP by filing an election.

Schedule 8, Canada Pension Plan Contributions and Overpayment for 2016, Box 372

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/5000-s8/5000-s8-16e.pdf

You did read the very next sentence, right? "The date cannot be earlier than the month you turn 65 and you are receiving a CPP or QPP retirement pension"

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Government still allows you to opt-out. I'm self-employed, have done so for ~10 years and I've never had a return come back with CPP owing.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

grack posted:

Government still allows you to opt-out. I'm self-employed, have done so for ~10 years and I've never had a return come back with CPP owing.

They roll the CPP in with the other money owing/refunded, but if you fill the return in wrong, sure, it'll be processed wrong and they may not catch something that easy to do with computers because lol.

Gotta pay yourself with dividends to avoid CPP properly, and that has other tradeoffs.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.
CPP is not optional on employment income. The only way you can avoid it (assuming you are below 65) is by incorporating and paying yourself dividends.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Lexicon posted:

haha what the gently caress fire your accountant

You don't need to pay EI but you definitely need to pay CPP. My first year of being self-employed in Canada I accidentally paid EI because I didn't know and the CRA kindly sent me a cheque back with the amount I'd paid and a letter informing me that it wasn't necessary.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Kal Torak posted:

CPP is not optional on employment income. The only way you can avoid it (assuming you are below 65) is by incorporating and paying yourself dividends.

Ah this must've been how I got around it. I only took dividends until I wound down the corp

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Lexicon posted:

Ah this must've been how I got around it. I only took dividends until I wound down the corp

Oh ok yeah that makes sense then.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Lexicon posted:

In which case, yeah that's it. That would therefore count as investment income, and not employment.

Jolarix
Feb 28, 2004
Your reading skill has increased by +1 point(s).
Question about a balance transfer promo...

My MBNA MasterCard (no balance, and not my primary card) is offering me the insane interest rate of 0.00% on balance transfers, up until January 1st. The maximum I can take out is 26k.

Should I max out this 26k and just park it at EQ BANK (2.3%) or similar for 6 months? I would, of course, keep paying the minimum on the card until January, when I'd just repay the whole principal. Is there any reason why I shouldn't borrow in this way? Other than upping my credit utilization, it seems like free profit.

The only cost is a one-time 1% MBNA "transfer fee". So, $260 up-front.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jolarix posted:

Question about a balance transfer promo...

My MBNA MasterCard (no balance, and not my primary card) is offering me the insane interest rate of 0.00% on balance transfers, up until January 1st. The maximum I can take out is 26k.

Should I max out this 26k and just park it at EQ BANK (2.3%) or similar for 6 months? I would, of course, keep paying the minimum on the card until January, when I'd just repay the whole principal. Is there any reason why I shouldn't borrow in this way? Other than upping my credit utilization, it seems like free profit.

The only cost is a one-time 1% MBNA "transfer fee". So, $260 up-front.

260 cost up front, interest income of 275-300, maybe a tiny speck more since rates could rise more than 0.25 in this timeframe... But you won't collect the full six months' interest because you'll pay the bill a few days early. Then you're going to lose a good 20-40% of the interest income to taxes assuming you have a full time job which makes this whole exercise break even at best, more likely a net loss.

Equation changes a bit if you were to do bank/utility stocks, time it well, and collect dividends, but then there's the risk of a capital loss and needing to make up the difference from other cash you may not have available.

Edit: Some people will say to deduct the balance transfer fee as a carrying cost. I don't know that the CRA officially goes for that, although it's also chintzy enough that auditors probably wouldn't think it's worth their time to pursue​.

James Baud fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jul 9, 2017

Jolarix
Feb 28, 2004
Your reading skill has increased by +1 point(s).
Great answer thanks. I'm not going to bother with it.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Subjunctive posted:

Certain programs can get exempted from the provincial rate policy, like business degrees

the talent deficit posted:

ubc is basically a REIT with a crappy football team at this point

If UBC was more active in renting its massive property holdings it could give free tuition to everyone in the province

But it doesn't

Lexicon posted:

You don't pay cpp by not paying yourself a wage.

I didn't pay myself a salary from my consulting business and just declared dividends.

I also split the dividends with my wife who owned an equal number of non-voting shares. We paid about 11% tax all in on $90k of income

Lexicon posted:

Yeah

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Certain programs can get exempted from the provincial rate policy, like business degrees

High-demand programs can exceed the nominal limits, but they're still approved by the province for colleges at least.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Subjunctive posted:

High-demand programs can exceed the nominal limits, but they're still approved by the province for colleges at least.

The example that comes to mind is the Ivey business program. Laurier tried to apply for an exemption for its business degree some time ago and was rejected. Don't know if they've tried since.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Tangerine is running their promotional 3% savings interest thing again. I'm wondering, what's to prevent me from moving everything out of my savings and then back into it to benefit from this? :confuoot:

e: Eh, terms make it obvious -- it only applies to deposits that take the balance above the one at the promotion's starting date.

Still, knowing they run these promos about twice a year, it'd probably be more efficient to just hold all my savings in my chequing account, and only move them to savings once one of these starts.

e2: Given how loving awful everything is about the loonie going up and interest rates too, causing both my bonds and equity to tank, maybe I should liquidate everything and put it in a Tangerine Savings TFSA, I have the contribution room to spare. :downsgun:

Jan fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 22, 2017

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jan posted:

Tangerine is running their promotional 3% savings interest thing again. I'm wondering, what's to prevent me from moving everything out of my savings and then back into it to benefit from this? :confuoot:

They take a snapshot your balance when they start the promo. Balance beyond that qualifies for the additional interest.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jan posted:

e: Eh, terms make it obvious -- it only applies to deposits that take the balance above the one at the promotion's starting date.

Still, knowing they run these promos about twice a year, it'd probably be more efficient to just hold all my savings in my chequing account, and only move them to savings once one of these starts.

e2: Given how loving awful everything is about the loonie going up and interest rates too, causing both my bonds and equity to tank, maybe I should liquidate everything and put it in a Tangerine Savings TFSA, I have the contribution room to spare. :downsgun:

They run the promos every quarter, but you don't always get an offer. Still, it pays to have an account at PCF / EQ and move the money there a few days before the end of each Tangerine promo period. Then you only move it back if you get a better offer from Tangerine. PCF often does the recurring promo offer thing too, but I don't seem to get 3%+ from them as often as Tangerine.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

TD has a $300 for opening one a chequing account with them. Conditions don't seem too onerous compared to any other offer out there if you're into that kind of thing.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Oh that's nice, I wish I didn't already have all my banking stuff with TD.

I was going to do the BMO one but it requires direct deposit from an employer and seeing as I have none, well...

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

If you work in Quebec for a few years do you end up getting CPP checks and QPP checks when you retire? How does that work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
I already used that offer in 2016, which means I'm not eligible based on the "No account closures after November 1, 2015" criteria :(