Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Josh Lyman posted:

I don't understand how The Sweethome's pick for best sheets can be 280 thread count. I was at Sam's Club and compared their 450 and 650 side by side and it's a huge difference. I don't care how good your 280 is, there's no way it can compare to a 650 in softness: http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-sheets/

Did you read the entire Sweethome article? It has a section addressing your exact concerns about the role and relevance of thread count.

Edit: regarding Sweethome just being affiliate linking crap, the sheets article choices link to LL Bean and JC Penney sheets, direct from the respective websites (ie not Amazon). Do those even have affiliate programs (I'm honestly curious)?

incogneato has a new favorite as of 19:54 on Jul 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I can't stop buying gun stuff help

CMMG drop in .22lr conversion for AR15s. I have like a million rounds of .22lr now and even at 5 cents a round it'll pay for itself fast versus plinking with the cheapest .223

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

incogneato posted:

Did you read the entire Sweethome article? It has a section addressing your exact concerns about the role and relevance of thread count.
Yes, but it's basically saying "be skeptical of super high thread counts like 1,000." It's also assuming the higher thread count option is marketing bullshit.

But if we're comparing apples to apples, and the Sam's Club sheets I'm looking at specifically say single-ply 650 count, I don't see how LL Bean's 280 can compare. It's like saying a turbocharged 4 cylinder is the same as a V8.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Josh Lyman posted:

Yes, but it's basically saying "be skeptical of super high thread counts like 1,000." It's also assuming the higher thread count option is marketing bullshit.

But if we're comparing apples to apples, and the Sam's Club sheets I'm looking at specifically say single-ply 650 count, I don't see how LL Bean's 280 can compare. It's like saying a turbocharged 4 cylinder is the same as a V8.

Apples to apples is bedsheets to engines.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Grassy Knowles posted:

Apples to apples is bedsheets to engines.
I mean, they both can get you horny...

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Josh Lyman posted:

I mean, they both can get you horny...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06BFsQ_28Co

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Josh Lyman posted:

It's like saying a turbocharged 4 cylinder is the same as a V8.

This is a terrible analogy, there are some pretty beefy/fast 4 cylinder cars that can smoke a lot of V8s.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

incogneato posted:

Edit: regarding Sweethome just being affiliate linking crap, the sheets article choices link to LL Bean and JC Penney sheets, direct from the respective websites (ie not Amazon). Do those even have affiliate programs (I'm honestly curious)?

https://www.viglink.com/merchants/2837/ll-bean-affiliate-program
http://www.viglink.com/merchants/380/jcpenney-affiliate-program

As a matter of fact it appears they do. This isn't to say the site is worthless but it's good to understand what may help influence their decisions. Take http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-linen-sheets/ first place looks to me like a referral link, while second does not.

They didn't even bother reviewing the ones I buy, linoto. They give it a mention but so far down.

Duck and Cover has a new favorite as of 21:50 on Jul 3, 2017

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

big mean giraffe posted:

This is a terrible analogy, there are some pretty beefy/fast 4 cylinder cars that can smoke a lot of V8s.

The Porsche LMP1 that has won Le Mans the last 3 years, for instance, is a 900 BHP plus "4 cylinder" car.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
For what it's worth, I own the ones from JC Penney and I'm pretty pleased with them. Plenty soft and have held up very nicely for about 2 years now.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

big mean giraffe posted:

Yes, the V8's that use a multi-ply thread count. :colbert:

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

The Porsche LMP1 that has won Le Mans the last 3 years, for instance, is a 900 BHP plus "4 cylinder" car.
Aren't all the LeMans cars 4 cylinder hybrids now though? I'd rather have a McLaren P1 or Porsche 918, but realistically I'd rather have an M5 as a daily driver.

Josh Lyman has a new favorite as of 23:27 on Jul 3, 2017

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Duck and Cover posted:

https://www.viglink.com/merchants/2837/ll-bean-affiliate-program
http://www.viglink.com/merchants/380/jcpenney-affiliate-program

As a matter of fact it appears they do. This isn't to say the site is worthless but it's good to understand what may help influence their decisions. Take http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-linen-sheets/ first place looks to me like a referral link, while second does not.

They didn't even bother reviewing the ones I buy, linoto. They give it a mention but so far down.

I bought the LL Bean sheets and I love them. They're comfortable and keep their shape. I plan on purchasing more in the future.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I also bought the ll bean sheets and have been very happy. They're thick and soft compared to my old "800 thread count" sheets

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Bunk Rogers posted:

I bought the LL Bean sheets and I love them. They're comfortable and keep their shape. I plan on purchasing more in the future.

Sure I don't think they out right lie or necessarily are always going to favor things they can get an affiliate link for.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Duck and Cover posted:

Sure I don't think they out right lie or necessarily are always going to favor things they can get an affiliate link for.

What do you think then?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I assume I can return the sheets to Sam's Club if they disappoint. 7 night sleep test incoming.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
We should all just buy the shittiest sheets at Kmart because that's what we deserve.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

What do you think then?

That their choices are influenced by how they make money. Why is that hard to communicate? I thought I was pretty clear. Whatever I bought some goat milk soap from some religious folks and it came today.

Duck and Cover has a new favorite as of 00:32 on Jul 4, 2017

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

On an unrelated note, I discovered some cigars I had forgotten about so I bought a bottle of Laphroig to go with.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

On an unrelated note, I discovered some cigars I had forgotten about so I bought a bottle of Laphroig to go with.

Hopefully they were properly humidified while you forgot about them! :ohdear:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
JC Penney's has the best general housewares imho.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Josh Lyman posted:

Aren't all the LeMans cars 4 cylinder hybrids now though? I'd rather have a McLaren P1 or Porsche 918, but realistically I'd rather have an M5 as a daily driver.

Nah, Toyota TS040 ran on a naturally aspirated petrol V8, TS050 a turbo-charged V6, Audi R18 was on a V6 turbo-diesel, and of course the tiny 2L V4 turbo in the Porsche 918. FIA WEC became much more interesting when they removed pretty much all engine regulations for LMP1 Hybrid class a couple of years back. The only thing that's regulated is the maximum amount of fuel each car is allowed to use in each race, and also tank size. So you can't just have a fuel-guzzling monster of a turbo-charged V12 à la Porsche 917, because your fuel allowance won't permit it, and big displacement, more boost and more HP is cancelled out by needing more refuelling stops. AFAIK all the LMP1 Hybrid engines in the 2016 season developed 400-500hp, the rest of the power came from the electrical drivetrains. The choice is basically down to the engine configuration each manufacturer believes delivers the best compromise between power and fuel efficiency.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

X12.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

:hf: Zima buddy.

I bought some wrapping paper, packed a Zima into a single malt scotch cylinder, wrapped it up, and hand delivered it to a former boss as a present.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Bought a Roku streaming stick for an older TV in the house:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

betterinsodapop posted:

streaming stick

That's what I call my penis.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

Everyone else calls it a Trickle Twig

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Jerry Cotton posted:

Sorry about your incontinence :colbert:

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Jerry Cotton posted:

Nobody cares that you gently caress your TV

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Jerry Cotton posted:

I bought a tea cup from the Salvation Army flea market around the corner:

I also went to the local pub and the karaoke hostess repaired my jacket with her 1910-1920 Singer and then I won 201€ from the slots. All in all a nice day and a new* tea cup.

*) In that I haven't seen this pattern (Aslak) before.

it's beautiful.

Got a mic and a game:

This mic is awesome btw, clear as a bell as i'm begging jason to not murder me.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

PCOS Bill posted:

I can't stop buying gun stuff help

CMMG drop in .22lr conversion for AR15s. I have like a million rounds of .22lr now and even at 5 cents a round it'll pay for itself fast versus plinking with the cheapest .223

Pro tip pcos, turn the gun around, will end your obvious suffering and ours as well.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
meh.

Comatoast has a new favorite as of 18:47 on Jul 4, 2017

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Recommendations for a wall whiteboard/calendar? My usual method of "go on amazon and select highest stars" doesn't work because there seems to be a lot of polarized reviews on the poo poo-quality.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Recommendations for a wall whiteboard/calendar? My usual method of "go on amazon and select highest stars" doesn't work because there seems to be a lot of polarized reviews on the poo poo-quality.

Go to your local office supply big box and look at them in person and purchase.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

LifeSunDeath posted:

it's beautiful.

Got a mic and a game:

I also have a Yeti but went with the plain silver because the colored ones looked like they had a cheap paint job that would quickly scratch or flake off. Confirm/deny?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

LifeSunDeath posted:

Pro tip pcos, turn the gun around, will end your obvious suffering and ours as well.

Go away.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

LifeSunDeath posted:

shut up

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

go step on a lego, all of you

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Content, old pen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?