Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Phenotype posted:

Can someone explain to me exactly what I can buy with gems besides heroes? I thought it was all the featured skins and mounts, but one of the Sir Murkalot skins was on the featured page a while ago and was only available for shards, the event skins look like the same thing, and even the generic cloud mounts that are featured right now are not buyable with gems. I've got 1200 gems and I was trying to figure out if I might as well buy the featured bundle (adjusted) for 931, since there's no guarantee I'll ever be able to use them for the specific stuff I want -- I would have grabbed Knight Murky or one of these clouds in a second if I could have.

It's not the loot boxes that are the problem, it's the fact that you can't ever directly buy what you want anymore.

I ran into a related problem with wanting to play Stukov on PTR. I would've paid ten bucks to play him if I had found the option, but grinding gems or shards or whatever was necessary is out of the question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

gems are for stimpaks hth

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Phenotype posted:

Can someone explain to me exactly what I can buy with gems besides heroes? I thought it was all the featured skins and mounts, but one of the Sir Murkalot skins was on the featured page a while ago and was only available for shards, the event skins look like the same thing, and even the generic cloud mounts that are featured right now are not buyable with gems. I've got 1200 gems and I was trying to figure out if I might as well buy the featured bundle (adjusted) for 931, since there's no guarantee I'll ever be able to use them for the specific stuff I want -- I would have grabbed Knight Murky or one of these clouds in a second if I could have.

It's not the loot boxes that are the problem, it's the fact that you can't ever directly buy what you want anymore.

They choose a random selection of skins/mounts to put on gem sale every Tuesday alongside the two 50% off heroes. Brand new stuff like Sir Murkalot or the cloud mount are never available via gems except through bundles.

It is incredibly weird and goofy considering other games don't make you jump through hoops to give them your money. I can only assume they hope you'll be dumb enough to blow tons of money on boxes like in Overwatch.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

FieryBalrog posted:

Auriel + Valla? Got played a ton at HGC. Auriel + any big damage carry actually

Cool. She has the lowest win rate of any healer.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

John Murdoch posted:

They choose a random selection of skins/mounts to put on gem sale every Tuesday alongside the two 50% off heroes. Brand new stuff like Sir Murkalot or the cloud mount are never available via gems except through bundles.

It is incredibly weird and goofy considering other games don't make you jump through hoops to give them your money. I can only assume they hope you'll be dumb enough to blow tons of money on boxes like in Overwatch.

I thought the cloud mounts had been out awhile, at least since 2.0. Also, loving lol at the only difference between Power Drench Tychus for 600 and Power Briefs Tychus for 2400 is that he's got his package on display in the expensive one.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The happy, sad, and angry clouds came out alongside Malthael. Might be getting them mixed up with the nimbus clouds?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Libertine posted:

bwuhhhhhhhhu duhe bhbnnnnnnn 'this hero is only good in some situations so they're garbage!'

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Phenotype posted:

Also, loving lol at the only difference between Power Drench Tychus for 600 and Power Briefs Tychus for 2400 is that he's got his package on display in the expensive one.

Someone find the HotS sexiness article guy to see if he agrees that bulges are worth 1800 shards

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Bogart posted:

bwuhhhhhhhhu duhe bhbnnnnnnn 'this hero is only good in some situations so they're garbage!'

drat y'all don't melt down. My original post was really tepid criticism and it's backed up by the data. :shrug:

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

BrianBoitano posted:

Someone find the HotS sexiness article guy to see if he agrees that bulges are worth 1800 shards

Jaina doesn't have enormous tits yet and it's not Jim Raynor's massive cock, so the answer is probably no

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Libertine posted:

drat y'all don't melt down. My original post was really tepid criticism and it's backed up by the data. :shrug:

It isn't even "backed up by the data" though:

She isn't anywhere close to last and her lowest winrate out of the two modes is ~50%.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Lemon-Lime posted:

It isn't even "backed up by the data" though:

She isn't anywhere close to last and her lowest winrate out of the two modes is ~50%.

Hover over that Green button that says Healer big fella.

Libertine posted:

EdRush
Dec 13, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Jaina doesn't have enormous tits yet and it's not Jim Raynor's massive cock, so the answer is probably no

Alexstrasza when

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Libertine posted:

Hover over that Green button that says Healer big fella.
Before he does that will you admit you were wrong? Or are you also gonna pretend team league doesn't count?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

tyrande is a healer though

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
Auriel requires more drafting considerations and teamwork then the other healers, but she isn't a bad character, in the same way medivh isn't a bad character.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Coolness Averted posted:

Before he does that will you admit you were wrong? Or are you also gonna pretend team league doesn't count?

Neither of the two really minor points I made (Auriel has the lowest healer win rate and is super situational with other characters) have been refuted and the latter has been repeatedly agreed with. I'm really not sure why either point is rustling so many people.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Nnmmmigghhthhggh

Heroes shouldn't be good in every comp.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Thinking winrates beside the extreme 40-/60+ values mean anything in mobas is dumb as gently caress

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Eraflure posted:

Thinking winrates beside the extreme 40-/60+ values mean anything in mobas is dumb as gently caress

This hero has a win rate 0.7% lower than this other hero therefor hero is bad.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

SirSamVimes posted:

tyrande is a healer though

Someone needs to tell everyone I play with in Hero League or QM.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Libertine posted:

Neither of the two really minor points I made (Auriel has the lowest healer win rate and is super situational with other characters) have been refuted and the latter has been repeatedly agreed with. I'm really not sure why either point is rustling so many people.

Because you don't read posts to actually interact with arguments but instead to find dumb niggling points and smugly keep claiming you're right. The TL stats showed several healers including Morales and Malf with a lower winrate.
'Auriel requires certain comps to work,' isn't controversial, 'she has the lowest win rate among healers' is demonstrably wrong.

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Coolness Averted posted:

Because you don't read posts to actually interact with arguments but instead to find dumb niggling points and smugly keep claiming you're right. The TL stats showed several healers including Morales and Malf with a lower winrate.
'Auriel requires certain comps to work,' isn't controversial, 'she has the lowest win rate among healers' is demonstrably wrong.

but did you click the green healer button??? check mate nerd

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

:eyepop:

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Coolness Averted posted:

I didn't make any arguments about TL vs HL. If you don't arbitrarily distinguish between the two, then "lowest win rate among healers" is demonstrably correct.

There are definitely people not reading posts here but it's not me.

Get Innocuous!
Dec 6, 2011

come together
Saying a hero is bad because of a supposed sub-par winrate is like saying you carried a game because you were chosen to be the MVP.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

EdRush posted:

Alexstrasza when

She would have both right?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Until today I did not even know I needed Cleaner Leoric. :aaa:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

ALL SHALL SWIFFER

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Libertine posted:

I like playing Auriel with Cho or Guldan or Malthael and otherwise not really. She's probably the weakest healer in the game unless she has specific picks with her that boost her gimmick.

I think the problem here is that others disagree with you about when/how often she's the weakest healer. Your list is missing many heroes, and it turns out that having her on your team is better on average than 50% winrate so for people not in scrub league she's fine.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Quote is not edit, whoops

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

Paranoid Peanut posted:

gems are for stimpaks hth

What's the rule of thumb for the various currencies in the game? Hope you c an help

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Another complication of "which healer is best" is that some are great double supports but awful solo supports, like Lili

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Wait for heroes to drop to 10k, buy em with gold, craft skins you really want.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Auriel + Cho'Gall is loving disgusting. We did a bunch of matches tonight and drat, we were tearing through teams.

MMAgCh posted:

Only if when he dies he turns into a floating fart cloud.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

MMAgCh posted:

:stare:

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
You can't just consider Win rates, popularity is just as important since a low popularity means the Hero doesn't even make it past the draft screen - meaning they are easily countered, or another hero does what they do better. Auriel is the most popular healer behind Uther in higher level play. Morales, LiLi and Lucio are healers that are actually struggling.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Alpha Mayo posted:

a low popularity means the Hero doesn't even make it past the draft screen - meaning they are easily countered, or another hero does what they do better.

Those aren't nearly the only reasons for low popularity.

1. Steep learning curve (e.g. TLV)
2. Relies on your team comp (Auriel can't help a dive comp)
3. New / expensive / rarely on free rotation
4. Not as fun
5. Map-dependent

I'd argue that your reasons, and all of mine except #4, are acceptable hero design. "Better in some situations" is a good thing, since the alternative is a very strict tier list and draft / team comps get boring as gently caress

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
"Not as fun" is also acceptable design, as long as enough people do find it fun that it doesn't go completely unused. There's more than enough heroes in the game now that a hero that only 5% of players find fun is still fulfilling an important role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Libertine posted:

HoTs LoGs Is LaW