Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Kilometers Davis posted:

Thing is, my family was super supportive of my playing early on, still is. My girlfriend always mentions how nice me playing for her would be. I don't. Because I'm an anxious confidence pit. I'm starting a YouTube channel within the next month though to practice getting over that. It's a pretty huge block for someone who wants to share art and music and I know it's worth pushing through.

e/ning the stupid music poo poo thread, hell yeah

A really good way to get over stage fright is to get used to masturbating in front of people first, then work your way up to playing an instrument and finally singing. How supportive is your family?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

syntaxfunction posted:

I've never played a Dumble but nothing about an amp has ever struck me as worth the money people ask for it.

take an old fender princeton or mesa mark 1, plug an eq pedal in the front and max out the mids and that's basically it

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

syntaxfunction posted:

I've never played a Dumble but nothing about an amp has ever struck me as worth the money people ask for it. Same with 59 LPs. I mean, I'm sure they're great but really, over $100k for one? I don't know if I'd ever be convinced any individual piece (guitar, amp head, cab) would ever be worth more than four figures honestly. I don't think pedals and the like are worth over three figures, either. Not when clones are available that are, for all intents and purposes, the exact same thing without the stupid price tag. I think a whole lot of people do their "listening" with their eyes and wallets.

Only Dumble truly understood that electrons cannot survive in a crystal lattice.

I still think the main reason the players he made amps for really liked them is that he followed them around and made lots of small iterative tweaks to suit their needs.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?

GreatGreen posted:

I don't think you "get" what being a true bluesdad is all about.
Gonna post this here too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2MUzYR_2eM

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

The Muppets On PCP posted:

take an old fender princeton or mesa mark 1, plug an eq pedal in the front and max out the mids and that's basically it

I can confirm this is true.

Sometimes I love being an rear end in a top hat and bragging about the time I got to play an Overdrive Special and was unimpressed with it. This is basically exactly why. It sounds just like a normal fender type circuit with treble and bass controls that go from 0 - 10 and a mid knob that starts at about 12 and only goes up from there.

It's basically a Fender with a megaphone held in front of it.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

"...and, Jimmy Hendrix's Stratocaster."

*shows picture of Jazzmaster and zooms to the headstock where it obviously says FENDER JAZZMASTER*

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Kilometers Davis posted:

Thing is, my family was super supportive of my playing early on, still is. My girlfriend always mentions how nice me playing for her would be. I don't. Because I'm an anxious confidence pit. I'm starting a YouTube channel within the next month though to practice getting over that. It's a pretty huge block for someone who wants to share art and music and I know it's worth pushing through.

e/ning the stupid music poo poo thread, hell yeah

when there's a bbq or something next time, be the rear end in a top hat who brings the guitar. Don't overplay it - you don't want to interrupt a social gathering for hours - but prep a few songs. 2-3 songs everyone knows how to sing along to (so you don't have to try hard at singing), a song or two they might not but are pretty. Wait until everyone, including you, has a few drinks in 'em. Start with super easy ones, or with something light and purely acoustic like some easy jazz. If they like it, finish with something that's personal; if they had fun until that point they will listen and probably love it. Don't do shreddy poo poo unless that's your audience.

You'll be over your anxiety pretty quick when you realise if you actually practice to a metronome and know more than 4 chords you're better than most campfire guitarists.

People will probably have requests; if you can play the request, do it. Otherwise, make a mental note and practice those songs for next time.

e; also you don't need to push the guitar thing out. If you brought one, someone will ask you to play when the convo lulls or the booze starts flowing in the veins. That way you aren't being too much of an attention whore.

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 3, 2017

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Much as it pains me to say it, learn Wonderwall as its a piece of piss and for some reason everyone loves it

Not that i had to endure someone playing it badly every bus journey home from school or anything

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 3, 2017

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

People like catchy pop songs. Sorry about yer experience.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

NonzeroCircle posted:

Much as it pains me to say it, learn Wonderwall as its a piece of piss and for some reason everyone loves it

Exactly. A campfire/bbq/party is no time to be high and mighty about music choices. Your primary reason to play the guitar at a party is so people enjoy it, so bring out the trash people enjoy.

Everyone likes Wonderwall. Everyone likes Don't Look Back In Anger. Everyone likes American Pie. Everyone likes Yellow Submarine. You'll probably know someone's favorite song and you can practice that. You can play something dumb and corny like Can't Help Falling In Love to your gf - even if you can't sing to save your life, she'll be happy to have you finally play something sweet to her. You can play an acoustic arrangement of a dumb pop song.

From more 'cool' choices, you'll have a good response to Hey Joe, especially if you throw down some good licks in it. Layla (Unplugged). Jailhouse Rock, or really anything known by Elvis. Maybe a bit of Metallica action, like Unforgiven or Enter Sandman. Wish You Were Here will put everyone in a good mood. In the right audience, a little Cash action goes a long way.

There's loads of stuff you can play, just keep it simple and well known. The moment you get some peeps poorly crowing out the words to a song you're playing, you're past the tough part. Oh, and percussive strumming is a weapon to be wielded with pride.

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jul 3, 2017

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

GreatGreen posted:

Please turn in your fedora,
Bro, I only wear ballcaps when I'm not going to work.

quote:

bowling shirt,
I know no one who wears a bowling shirt, that's silly.

quote:

and velcro sandals on your way out.
I'LL HAVE YOU KNOW MY NIKE SANDALS ARE AWESOME AND NO I DON'T USUALLY WEAR SOCKS WITH THEM MOTHERF-

As far as acoustic tunes go I've never failed with Pink Floyd's How I Wish You Were Here. I just skip the silly sung-while-played solos and roll back to the chorus. Everyone loves it.

Then I leave everyone scratching their heads by playing RE: Your Brains, Code Monkey, Skullcrusher Mountain, Christmas is Interesting, and Chiron Beta Prime. Yeah, gently caress you, Johnathan Coulton is talented as hell and his Thing A Week stuff is infectious and hilarious and I don't care if you "get it!"*

*This actually happened and my neices thought I had lost my mind and my parents wandered away. WELL gently caress THEM.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jul 3, 2017

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

A few other suggestions I just remembered: everyone will sing along to Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life. Hallelujah is good too. And yes, skip the sung and played solos in Wish You Were Here. They're mostly a non-event anyway. Just play the intro and the verses. Keep it simple, and always play the whole song unless people don't tend to know it past a certain verse.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

No you don't understand these Plebs need to appreciate dream theatre

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

...and the pitch! posted:

People like catchy pop songs. Sorry about yer experience.

Catchy songs are fine by me, especially by stupid one hit wonder artists like Bran Van 3000 or Babylon Zoo, but I still get a twitch whenever I see Noel Gallalager's eyebrows to this day.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Oasis was a pretty alright band in their moment.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

NonzeroCircle posted:

Catchy songs are fine by me, especially by stupid one hit wonder artists like Bran Van 3000 or Babylon Zoo, but I still get a twitch whenever I see Noel Gallalager's eyebrows to this day.

I wasn't being sarcastic. Text is so hard. I am feelin ya.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
No worries, thank you for your sympathy. my taste in music is appalling, genuinely jealous that whilst we had Oasis (third rate Beatles who think they are hard), Blur, The Verve (more eyebrows) etc that Americans were getting nu metal and pop punk so my opinion on matters is not to be trusted.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Thermos H Christ posted:

Oasis was a pretty alright band in their moment.

If there was a photonegative of funk it would be Oasis.

I like those songs tho.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I got over my stage fright by playing shows only really knowing a power chord.

But these days if I wanted to get people excited I'd probably learn something with a lot of taps and knuckle knocking, people seem to eat that poo poo up.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The only lamer stupid music poo poo than me talking about being too wimpy to share music with people is defending Oasis.

dex_sda posted:

when there's a bbq or something next time, be the rear end in a top hat who brings the guitar. Don't overplay it - you don't want to interrupt a social gathering for hours - but prep a few songs. 2-3 songs everyone knows how to sing along to (so you don't have to try hard at singing), a song or two they might not but are pretty. Wait until everyone, including you, has a few drinks in 'em. Start with super easy ones, or with something light and purely acoustic like some easy jazz. If they like it, finish with something that's personal; if they had fun until that point they will listen and probably love it. Don't do shreddy poo poo unless that's your audience.

You'll be over your anxiety pretty quick when you realise if you actually practice to a metronome and know more than 4 chords you're better than most campfire guitarists.

People will probably have requests; if you can play the request, do it. Otherwise, make a mental note and practice those songs for next time.

e; also you don't need to push the guitar thing out. If you brought one, someone will ask you to play when the convo lulls or the booze starts flowing in the veins. That way you aren't being too much of an attention whore.

This is great advice but my man I'm about as social as a hole in the ground.

I should try to sing with/for my lady sometime for sure. I have a lot of lyrical ideas I want to do something with but I haven't come close to trying to get them out of my head.

Trig Discipline posted:

A really good way to get over stage fright is to get used to masturbating in front of people first, then work your way up to playing an instrument and finally singing. How supportive is your family?

At exactly midnight tonight I'm going to show my family the true meaning of a grand fireworks display. Thanks for the advice! This really seems to be the ticket!

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
nah

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jul 4, 2017

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
If you've played live enough the actual on-stage fright goes away - muscle memory takes over and playing the actual song is more or less automatic. I find the hour or so of anticipation beforehand to be the worst part, I still feel uneasy and sometimes slightly nauseous up until the first chord. Beer helps obviously.

It also helps if you've got some way to recover from fuckups which is why I just set up a momentary patch on my multifx switcher to jack the gain and volume up and put some reverb on so I can do big stupid whammy squeals whenever I bung a note up

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
^^ Mostly this ^^

I haven't played as many shows as I'd like, but I can say that I've played quite a lot and the hours leading up to the downbeat of song one have always been torture to me. Unable to eat, usually suffering a need to defecate where there are no clean bathrooms, we were supposed to go on at 9pm but had to wait until almost 11 when people started filing in to the bar... it was hell every time.
Then the show started and all the anxiety just vanished. Playing the first note of the set made the fear of playing the set go away, because you were concentrating to make sure you were locked in with your band, making good riffs on the downbeats together and trying not to drop notes (and in our case, singing, too.) There was too much to focus on to have stage fright.

O, there were just a few shows where some drunk rear end in a top hat wanted to interrupt your set but you've got the mics and the P.A., you pretend you care about whatever drunken ravings they're on about but you count off the next song and forget about them.

All of my fear was front-loaded into that "before they turned off the lights" period. After that, it was absolutely exhilarating and almost boring by the second set.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Nobody actually cares if you are bad if they have no idea who you are as long as you are not acting like you are in fact not terrible.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Thomann no :(

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

my trick to overcoming stage fright is to look at the crowd and try to stop seeing them as 'the crowd' but rather as a group of individual people.

so you see; heavy metal hair guy, drunk heavy metal hair guy, clique who don't care how you play because they're not there to see the music anyway, girl at the front who seems to be genuinely into it, guy at the back who is very much not into it etc

worrying about "the crowd" as a faceless force of judgement brings this weird existential dread into it. They're just people, who are free to form their own opinions and many of whom's opinions you wouldn't care about anyway if you knew them.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 5, 2017

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I saw this exact post on Facebook and was very bewildered, especially because it was a "Suggested post."

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
the most effective way to combat stage fright is to pick a few people to fix a death stare upon the entire time like once you're done with this music nonsense you're gonna go break into their house and kidnap their children

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

dex_sda posted:

when there's a bbq or something next time, be the rear end in a top hat who brings the guitar. Don't overplay it - you don't want to interrupt a social gathering for hours - but prep a few songs. 2-3 songs everyone knows how to sing along to (so you don't have to try hard at singing), a song or two they might not but are pretty.

I like to play "Wild Thing" on acoustic guitar in this situation.

You don't have to play it especially well, that is not the point. Just play it like you really mean it. Also, sing it like Jimi Hendrix.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Is "Wild Thing" really a song you can play badly? All I can think of is "forgot how to finger the chords because you've only been playing guitar for half an hour".

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

the most effective way to combat stage fright is to pick a few people to fix a death stare upon the entire time like once you're done with this music nonsense you're gonna go break into their house and kidnap their children

The keyboard dude from They Might Be Giants does that. It's kinda his "thing"

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

if you're sober enough to remember there's a crowd, you've made a terrible mistake

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

massive spider posted:

my trick to overcoming stage fright is to look at the crowd and try to stop seeing them as 'the crowd' but rather as a group of individual people.

so you see; heavy metal hair guy, heavy metal hair guy, clique who don't care how you play because they're not there to see the music anyway ect ect, girl at the front who seems to be genuinely into it, guy at the back who is very much not into it etc

worrying about "the crowd" as a faceless force of judgement brings this weird existential dread into it. They're just people, who are free to form their own opinions and many of whom's opinions you wouldn't care about anyway if you knew them.

That's the best way to look at it I've heard of yet. "A couple of specific people" is way less terrifying than "the crooowwwd."
Personally, I always find that for the first 15 seconds on stage, I am always uncomfortable and way too nervous. But by about the 30 second mark, I feel as at home as I do in my own practice space and I start getting into it and it's all uphill from there.

This is easier said than done, but as soon as you know you're good and gain just a bit of confidence, you start to view the situation differently. These people in front of you are eager and enthusiastic about being entertained and impressed, which you are perfectly equipped to do, so have fun! The faster you stop giving a drat about how scary it is, the faster you're going to feel comfortable, and the faster everybody in the crowd is going to want to sleep with you because you're being so awesome and entertaining them by doing something they can't!

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
One thing that some bands find difficult to overcome is that unless you've got a following you're never going to get the majority of the crowd (except, of course, friends and family who want to be there) to agree on what you're doing.
For every guy who loves your cover of the latest thing, another guy will come up and ask why you don't play your own stuff. Then, when you do throw out an original, some other rear end in a top hat will come to the stage and demand you play something they know.

It made my drummer neurotic until I told him we're playing for us and the people who like it will really dig us and the rest are playing pool, drinking beer, and ignoring us.

I mean, poo poo, we hit the scene trying to play heavy prog rock well into the grunge era. We spun our wheels for several years before a) my blues/rock project imploded (drummer decided to start a jazz band, that rear end in a top hat) and I had an opportunity to relocate from Raleigh to Charlotte and dicovered I much prefer Charlotte. When I got here I focused on my new day job and haven't played much since.

My old bassist invited me to sit in at a show his band was playing nearby, their guitarist plugged me into his rig (he had the same Classic 50 I had, so no problem there) and he chilled while I played three songs. It was like old times. It was a loving blast and I loved every minute of it. It was over so fast! I gotta say, when the crowd is digging you it's legit one of the best feelings ever.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Anime Reference posted:

Is "Wild Thing" really a song you can play badly? All I can think of is "forgot how to finger the chords because you've only been playing guitar for half an hour".

mayeb you're paraplegic

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

I have never had an audience member upset that I didn't play something. Then again I have successfully avoided being in a "mix of covers and originals" band situation my entire life. I have yet to hear a band with that format that isn't terrible.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Faustus posted:

I had an opportunity to relocate from Raleigh to Charlotte and dicovered I much prefer Charlotte.

that may be the worst thing anyone has ever said in this thread

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Faustus posted:

(drummer decided to start a jazz band, that rear end in a top hat)

That rear end in a top hat is a great name for a jazz band, though.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Trig Discipline posted:

That rear end in a top hat is a great name for a jazz band, though.
You're not wrong.

that may be the worst thing anyone has ever said in this thread
I'm pretty sure ten of the ten worst things posted in this thread were posted by me.

Anyway, Charlotte is superior because they don't roll up the streets at 11pm and you have all the illicit pleasures of South Carolina just a few miles away!
Also I got to go to a Panthers game once and it was pretty awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
My band just gets on stage with the intention to crush the audience, blow every other band off the stage, and get the most merch sales, and we normally accomplish that. Also having fun on stage will help with all 3 of those.

• Locked thread