Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Coco Rodreguiz posted:

Playing through all this I like being reminded by how much I like Exdeath. Dudes not stupid, tragic, conflicted, or crazy. Dude is just evil cause he likes being evil.

I just got to world 3. Now I gotta hunt down all the blue magic I wasn't able to get earlier.

"It is time for your viscera to see the light of day!" Is possibly my favourite villain quote of all time. Dude does not mince words. And you know if his origin was in a new jrpg you would purge his evil and he'd go back to being a friendly guardian tree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Nasgate posted:

"It is time for your viscera to see the light of day!" Is possibly my favourite villain quote of all time.

I'm quite fond of it myself.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Nasgate posted:

And you know if his origin was in a new jrpg you would purge his evil and he'd go back to being a friendly guardian tree.

I dunno; I mean in his current form he's basically a plant-based Angra Mainyu, and the Fate/ series handled that about as well as can be expected. You can't really purge the evil from the actual embodiment of evil.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

I'm quite fond of it myself.

I literally looked for your most recent post to copy paste it. You have a great av/quote.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Nasgate posted:

"It is time for your viscera to see the light of day!" Is possibly my favourite villain quote of all time.

A line so great they used it twice.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Simply Simon posted:

Due to speedup, I later misaimed a Succubus Kiss on Galuf during the Exdeath duel. As Galuf cannot take damage, he took himself from 0 to max life by absorbing his own nonexistant life force. drat that dude was badass, rip!

That happens whether you can die or not. I've done it to Omega and healed myself with my own nonexistent HP too.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

The new FF14 raid convinced me to start this. Wind Crystal is the exciting blue mage!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

So, Beastmasters. How do they work? I've never played any character like them before. Can I use Catch and stock up an assortment of monsters, or will whatever I Catch be overridden when I Catch something new? Or is it just basic Catch & Release? I Catch a Goblin in Fight A, Release it in Fight B, and now have nothing, and have to catch something new?

I'm guessing it's #2...

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Yeah, Catch and Release. You have to set up, but there's a good Release for just about every situation.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Bleh. Ah well. Is there a list of what to use against whom?

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Carbybot has a list, but it also depends on the rest of your party. Do you know your other classes yet?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

derra posted:

Carbybot has a list, but it also depends on the rest of your party. Do you know your other classes yet?

Knight, Berserker, Beastmaster, and Blue Mage.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
With that party, there are a variety of useful catches, but in most situations blue magic will do as well or better with less effort (my opinion). Beastmaster/Blue Mage is also one of the best pairings, since !Control lets you get a learn of blue magic more easily, including White Wind in world 1 from the Enchanted Fan enemy in the flying Ronkan ruins (a lot of blue mage parties don't have a source of control/confuse and have to wait until Arages in Exdeath's Castle instead).

The one thing that comes to mind that Beastmaster gets you that can't be replicated is a source of Berserk for Shinryu. If you catch a Mammon (tree enemy in Moore forest, also a rare encounter at the roof level of the castle in the Rift) and release it, it will cast Berserk on a random party member. However, if this party member has a Reflect Ring then Shinryu will be berserked instead.

Otherwise, my shortlist of relevant useful catches include Sand Bears for generic damage in world 1, Magic Dragons/Yellow Dragons/Avis Dragons/Zuhs for 25% max hp damage (can be good for rushing down world 2 Exdeath and Neo-Exdeath), maybe Sand Crawler for Maelstrom vs crystals (might not be worth the effort). Aquathorn/Page 32 are also notable as sources of Doom/XZone, if for instance you want to try and instakill bridge/boat Gilgamesh or Byblos.

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jul 5, 2017

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Blue has Death Claw which deals with non heavies well, and Death Sickles can proc on Boatgamesh and Crystals. Best use is knocking off a quarter of W2 Exdeath and Atomos' life, and half of Melsuine if you plan right. Calm allows for an easy Omega win (and you can also Calm or non-Fire lash Grand Cross), but yeah the standout is being able to Berserk and Blind Shinryu through his crazy magic evade (Rainbow Wind for the blind). Otherwise she can give out Equip Whips and help the Blue Mage learn things and can drop a 9999 once per battle (Grand Dragons, and of the quarter attacks on Neo).

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
An important thing to think of is how useful a catch is vs the cost to catch it. Since you have a berserker you will either need to give it fists in the back row, blind it, or kill it so you can catch things, especially so before you get the gourd in w2.

That said, if you can reliably blind your zerker, you can get mad xp in w2 from controlling shield dragons and having them kill themselves with blaze should you want/need it for your zerker/Knight. The same dragons also cast almagest when released, one of the only sources of holy damage in w2 for use against Exdeath. I don't know the numbers on whether it's better than just quartering his hp with yellow dragons/zus though.

Once you get the gourd, I like to think of catch as a no cost </=50% hp finisher for random encounters. Being able to use it more freely and more often alleviates the fact that releases don't hold up that well in terms of damage/abusability. Especially compared to how useful sand bears and rock golems are in w1.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

Nasgate posted:

An important thing to think of is how useful a catch is vs the cost to catch it. Since you have a berserker you will either need to give it fists in the back row, blind it, or kill it so you can catch things, especially so before you get the gourd in w2.

That said, if you can reliably blind your zerker, you can get mad xp in w2 from controlling shield dragons and having them kill themselves with blaze should you want/need it for your zerker/Knight. The same dragons also cast almagest when released, one of the only sources of holy damage in w2 for use against Exdeath. I don't know the numbers on whether it's better than just quartering his hp with yellow dragons/zus though.

Once you get the gourd, I like to think of catch as a no cost </=50% hp finisher for random encounters. Being able to use it more freely and more often alleviates the fact that releases don't hold up that well in terms of damage/abusability. Especially compared to how useful sand bears and rock golems are in w1.

shield dragons M is so low that even with exdeath weak to holy it only does like ~1500 damage. just fire yellow dragons at him. three released yellow dragons will cripple him and put him in the part of his ai script that casts a lot of reflected spells though

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

fits posted:

shield dragons M is so low that even with exdeath weak to holy it only does like ~1500 damage. just fire yellow dragons at him. three released yellow dragons will cripple him and put him in the part of his ai script that casts a lot of reflected spells though

Isn't there a stronger almagest-having enemy in a corner of the map in the sea? Or is that GBA only?

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

Isn't there a stronger almagest-having enemy in a corner of the map in the sea? Or is that GBA only?

yes, Vilia is there. but merged world only and has a M of 5 instead of shield dragons 4, so only marginally better

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
Does magic sword by itself overwrite the chicken knife's !flee property, or do I still need to use an alternate command like !dance or !xfight?

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Okay, uh, I've gotten to siren but none of my blue mages have learned the ability to learn magic, so all I have is broadswords. Am I hosed?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

CuddlyZombie posted:

Okay, uh, I've gotten to siren but none of my blue mages have learned the ability to learn magic, so all I have is broadswords. Am I hosed?

Blue mages come with that built in but I don't think there's any to learn in the ship graveyard. You could have gotten Aero, Goblin Punch, and Vampire off enemies before you went into the canal.

As for Siren, she takes ok damage from physical attacks normally and you can throw potions at her during her undead phase.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
Is there anywhere good/easy to grind gil in world 3?

CuddlyZombie posted:

You can get daggers, which might be stronger than your swords, from the skeletons as a rare drop. Or you could also just restart, you're basically still at the start of the game.

But yeah. Blue mages have innate !learning, so you'll want to go back and get those spells as soon as you can. You'll be able to go back over there very soon.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

You can get daggers, which might be stronger than your swords, from the skeletons as a rare drop. Or you could also just restart, you're basically still at the start of the game.

But yeah. Blue mages have innate !learning, so you'll want to go back and get those spells as soon as you can. You'll be able to go back over there very soon.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgur...iact=mrc&uact=8 The grey places on this map are the best gold in world 3. Giant birds are worth 5k, sea devils 3k each.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Yeah, I managed to beat siren after grinding just a little bit, but I'm now tearing through overworld enemies and don't seem to be having any learnable spells cast on me. Should I just be letting random mobs wail on me? I was hoping I wouldn't have to use a guide for blue magic.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

CuddlyZombie posted:

Yeah, I managed to beat siren after grinding just a little bit, but I'm now tearing through overworld enemies and don't seem to be having any learnable spells cast on me. Should I just be letting random mobs wail on me? I was hoping I wouldn't have to use a guide for blue magic.

You should use a guide for blue magic. A lot of the good stuff is non-obvious. The best buff spell in the game can only be gotten by confusing or controlling a monster that only shows up in the rarest encounter on an ocean tile that's mostly land in a random inland sea that otherwise has completely uninteresting encounters.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jul 5, 2017

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Does magic sword by itself overwrite the chicken knife's !flee property, or do I still need to use an alternate command like !dance or !xfight?

It does not. Another command would be needed.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
!calm isn't working on Omega. I use it and he immediately wave cannons me anyway. Like, literally as soon as my character steps back. Am I doing something wrong?

derra
Dec 29, 2012

!calm isn't working on Omega. I use it and he immediately wave cannons me anyway. Like, literally as soon as my character steps back. Am I doing something wrong?

What version are you playing?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

What version are you playing?

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
SNES version.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Sadly it doesn't work on SNES.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

It's a bug introduced in the GBA version where it works on everything that isn't a Magical Beast instead of things that are.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
Does Slow have a duration on Omega if I use a caught enemy to cast it? spider web, slug slime, etc.

Edit: I'm going to need to grind more. Or break out my GBA. :psyduck:

Focacciasaurus_Rex fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jul 5, 2017

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Does Slow have a duration on Omega if I use a caught enemy to cast it? spider web, slug slime, etc.

Edit: I'm going to need to grind more. Or break out my GBA. :psyduck:

No, but he has Reflect and 90% MEv.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

It's also level 117 or something, so most status effect releases won't even touch it. Probably easier to catch Yellow Dragons for the damage. Though you'd still need to find some other means of finishing it off.

Edit: On second thought, releasing Great Dragons would probably do more damage than Yellow Dragons because of Omega's innate Shell status.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 5, 2017

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

derra posted:

No, but he has Reflect and 90% MEv.

Slug Slime seemed to work reliably on it.

Of course that was just the initial attack hitting. I had no way of knowing if the actual statuses worked. :shrug:

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Grinding some abp while praying for a twinlance steal from the rng gods. At least I'm doing two things at once and it's not grinding for dualcast.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

If you have a Red or Black mage, all the ladies in the Phoenix Tower can be Frogged and they have very expensive things to steal on top of the great deal of money to be had in chests up there. Break Blade will also keep you totally safe although you won't be able to steal from them (they still have good drops too).

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

In addition to Phoenix Tower mentioned above, there's at least one square in the north of the map that has nothing but Rukhs and Sea Devils. Rukhs give 5k gil, Sea Devils give 3k, and you can get fights with a rukh and two sea devils, a rukh alone, or three sea devils. They're not THAT hard unless you have an awful team, and the square in question is the ocean directly north of the Sealed Castle, up near the very top of the map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

KataraniSword posted:

In addition to Phoenix Tower mentioned above, there's at least one square in the north of the map that has nothing but Rukhs and Sea Devils. Rukhs give 5k gil, Sea Devils give 3k, and you can get fights with a rukh and two sea devils, a rukh alone, or three sea devils. They're not THAT hard unless you have an awful team, and the square in question is the ocean directly north of the Sealed Castle, up near the very top of the map.

About a quarter of the world map has those fights and another quarter has nothing but single rukh fights.

• Locked thread