Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i am holding off on picking up dead cells until i hear that they have fixed the horrible item balance everyone complains about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Awesome! posted:

i am holding off on picking up dead cells until i hear that they have fixed the horrible item balance everyone complains about

I didn't know that was a thing, apart from knowing I need to keep ice grenades on hand since they are so useful - have any links?

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

HE'S NOT A REAL GOON, SAM!

Can I keep his head as a souvenir?

Say, why is it ticking?
Don't usually go to this thread, but I thought I'd just warn anybody off The Quest, which got recommended here, unless they're really the sort of person who can ignore really blatant misogyny. Within an hour of gameplay, I got a subquest to rescue a dude wife who's being held ransom, but said wife apparently prefers it with the bandits. Your only options are to either commit a crime, side with the bandits, get half of the ransom money and bring the wife back, or kill the bandits, then get the wife drunk and drag her back anyway. :gonk: Between that, the fact the game seems to assume in all your dialogue choices you're going to flirt like a guy regardless of what gender you choose, and the fact that half the women you run into at the very beginning are prostitutes, I'd say it's too janky to put up with that sort of stuff.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Dragomorph posted:

Don't usually go to this thread, but I thought I'd just warn anybody off The Quest, which got recommended here, unless they're really the sort of person who can ignore really blatant misogyny. Within an hour of gameplay, I got a subquest to rescue a dude wife who's being held ransom, but said wife apparently prefers it with the bandits. Your only options are to either commit a crime, side with the bandits, get half of the ransom money and bring the wife back, or kill the bandits, then get the wife drunk and drag her back anyway. :gonk: Between that, the fact the game seems to assume in all your dialogue choices you're going to flirt like a guy regardless of what gender you choose, and the fact that half the women you run into at the very beginning are prostitutes, I'd say it's too janky to put up with that sort of stuff.

Hey, thanks for the warning! It was on my wishlist and now it isn't. :)

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Ragequit posted:

I didn't know that was a thing, apart from knowing I need to keep ice grenades on hand since they are so useful - have any links?

the complaint is most of the weapons you unlock are just bad and adding them to the drop pool makes your experience worse

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Only bought games this sale that I actually started playing immediately or even finished instead of letting them rot in my backlog for years (579 games in my library).

Played and finished Turing Test, Virginia, DooM, still playing Wuppo.

This feels really, really good and made me appreciate the games and the sale so much more.
Give it a shot next time. There will always be another sale.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Blattdorf posted:

Shooting up some ISIS soldiers sounded tempting, so I gave the game a try last winter sale and found it fun if somewhat difficult.

People can make up their own minds on this matter.

It's a dogwhistle game. I can see why one might not notice if one isn't actually watching for the red flags associated with that kind of thing, but the reviews section on IS Defense is different than other review sections for definitive reasons, and those reasons really aren't debatable.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's a dogwhistle game. I can see why one might not notice if one isn't actually watching for the red flags associated with that kind of thing, but the reviews section on IS Defense is different than other review sections for definitive reasons, and those reasons really aren't debatable.

quote:

Actual Critic review - CD-Action
Jul 21, 2016
Score 35
I guess there are some things worse than IS Defense, like Ebola, Donald Trump winning the election or Yoko Ono and Britney Spears performing together. I honestly see no reason to play this game. [07/2016, p.75]

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Should I go ahead with Homeworld 1+2 Remastered and Homeworld Deserts of Kharak? for $20?

I played the original homeworld 1 demo in like 2000, liked it, but never bought the full game as I was just a child with limited disposable income. Are these games still pretty good or just too dated to enjoy?

Deserts of Kharak came out in like 2016 so that should be fine but apparently it plays really similar to the other homeworld games.

Just looking for a nice space RTS with a kickass storyline. Something like Sins of a Solar Empire but not as loving complicated

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I don't have as much time for games as I used to, and in recent years that has gone to MMOs, but seeing how much fun I have been having with Fallout: New Vegas from last year's sale I picked up Fallout 4 for 50% off. Between it and Half Life 2 Orange box in my queue I should be good until the next sale.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK

Dragomorph posted:

I didn't want it but now I do.

Thanks

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

kater posted:

I've got a cart to cull.

Wolf, Holmes, Divinity. The rest are salt-to-flavor but ultimately skipable. Except Batman. Do not get Batman.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Turd Herder posted:

I didn't want it but now I do.

Thanks

The Quest is janky as hell for complety other reasons anyway.

I think it was originally a developed for pocket pc, but I played it on my android. It's got the structure of a solid classic RPG, but the graphics and gameplay were too old and janky for me even when I tried to play it on my smartphone.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Lechtansi posted:

Yeah, it's doing weird things for me as well. Oh well.

Getting back on track, hows Tomb Raider 2013? I'm really enjoying Rise of the Tomb Raider, and I hear that it improves on the 2013 version in almost every way, but i'm hankering for more survival tomb raiding action so I was thinking about it (plus its only $5).

There's like 2, maybe 3 tombs max in the game

Gomi Day
Nov 15, 2007

Trust me, Bill. Large spectacles lend distinction to any countenance, as I have reason to know.
Plaster Town Cop
i just realized that my fav game of last year currently has a really good discount.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/373990/Metrico/

metrico+ is a really chill abstract puzzle platformer type affair with some really unique play mechanics.

if the promo video piques your curiosity at all, it's utterly worth grabbing.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

With just a little over 12 hours left, I want to remind everyone to buy The Beginner's Guide for FOUR loving DOLLARS because it is a game that made me feel a lot of important feelings and is devastating in all the right ways.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

are you going to read it all in the next month or so? If not, wait for the winter sale.

I decided to take this advice to the furthest extent possible and pared my huge list down to just What Remains of Edith Finch and Wolfenstein. Because I want to play both of them immediately, right now. I still want the others, but the feeling is less direct.

Thanks a buncho.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

kater posted:

I decided to take this advice to the furthest extent possible and pared my huge list down to just What Remains of Edith Finch and Wolfenstein. Because I want to play both of them immediately, right now. I still want the others, but the feeling is less direct.

Thanks a buncho.

Happy to help! Have fun!

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Any super engrossing game I should buy before the sale ends? Games that make me want to finish them to find out what's going on. I'm not picky about the genre, I'll play anything but the story should be part of the game, so a Bejeweled clone with story dumps between levels wouldn't really work.

Examples: NieR (the first, the sequel is still too expensive for me), Kotor, Undertale, the first couple of Mass Effect games. Bad example: Hollow Knight (great game but not what I'm looking for since the plot is really vague).

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

There's like 2, maybe 3 tombs max in the game

7, technically. Which still isn't a lot, mind.

It's worth a whirl if you enjoyed the sequel at that price.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I always forget to look at DLC these sales. I realize that not knowing what games I own makes this difficult, but what are some DLCs I should own?

I've already looked at that Paradox grand strategy games, Rocksmith, and both Pinball Arcade and Pinball FX, so those are covered at least.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

gmq posted:

Any super engrossing game I should buy before the sale ends? Games that make me want to finish them to find out what's going on. I'm not picky about the genre, I'll play anything but the story should be part of the game, so a Bejeweled clone with story dumps between levels wouldn't really work.

Examples: NieR (the first, the sequel is still too expensive for me), Kotor, Undertale, the first couple of Mass Effect games. Bad example: Hollow Knight (great game but not what I'm looking for since the plot is really vague).

Firewatch? I picked it up a couple of days ago and enjoyed it. It's pretty much a walking simulator / guided exploration game but the story and atmosphere is pretty compelling. You'll beat it in around 4 hours though.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Aug 2, 2017

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

No.

You're dead to them.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

gmq posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/435530/The_Final_Station/

?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

gmq posted:

Life is Strange

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Mystic Stylez posted:

I have 350 games on my wishlist, ~$50 in the wallet and don't feel like buying anything. Got four games on the sale but refunded two. Are video games dead to me?

you should probably remove most of that stuff from your wishlist

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Mystic Stylez posted:

I have 350 games on my wishlist, ~$50 in the wallet and don't feel like buying anything. Got four games on the sale but refunded two. Are video games dead to me?

I'm in a similar situation. Bought more games for others than I did myself. I picked up StarCrawlers and Satellite Reign because they were priced for what I'd pay for them. All the gush about Hollow Knight and other goon favorites did little to sway me this year.

I wish there was a button to clear wishlists in one go. Most of the stuff I put on mine was just to watch early access stuff to see if it actually became anything. It's in bad need of cleaning.

I do miss seeing bundles and such on the front page and saying "Somebody is going to have a lot of fun with that bundle because that's a good deal for good games." Now it's just window shopping through mostly turds.

So don't feel too bad. You probably just have everything you want or have been the vet of so many sales that you have all the good deals already. I think the real winners this sale were anyone interested in DIshonored 2, Hyper Light Drifter, Hollow Knight and Dead Cells. Sale prices seemed to put them right at the sweet spot that most people would impulse buy and bite down on. Next year will probably be deeper discounts on stuff like Prey and Nier.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Aug 2, 2017

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
do I really have to wait 15 days to sell a csgo gun for Warhammer dlc? Damnit.

It won't be on sale then :saddowns:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Evil Genius is on sale for $2.49. It's janky as gently caress, it can get so cheaply difficult you'll want to chuck your PC (I'm looking at you, Bruce Lee), and it's still one of the most drat fun games I've played

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Avalanche posted:

Should I go ahead with Homeworld 1+2 Remastered and Homeworld Deserts of Kharak? for $20?

I played the original homeworld 1 demo in like 2000, liked it, but never bought the full game as I was just a child with limited disposable income. Are these games still pretty good or just too dated to enjoy?

Deserts of Kharak came out in like 2016 so that should be fine but apparently it plays really similar to the other homeworld games.

Just looking for a nice space RTS with a kickass storyline. Something like Sins of a Solar Empire but not as loving complicated

You should get them. The remasters are excellent and Deserts was kind of a sleeper hit that no one expected.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

gmq posted:

I marathoned the last three hours of Oxenfree because I had to know what was going to happen.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Too Shy Guy posted:

I marathoned the last three hours of Oxenfree because I had to know what was going to happen.

If you replay it, you get some additional content, specifically you can send a message to yourself saying not to get on the boat to the island in the first place, which has a payoff if you try to play a new game after that.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Got $0.52 in my wallet, should I get Morphopolis or Spaceport Hope? Leaning towards the latter a little, but feel like the former's probably a more unique experience.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

verbal enema posted:

do I really have to wait 15 days to sell a csgo gun for Warhammer dlc? Damnit.

It won't be on sale then :saddowns:
You could attach an authenticator to your account.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Givin posted:

I'm in a similar situation. Bought more games for others than I did myself. I picked up StarCrawlers and Satellite Reign because they were priced for what I'd pay for them. All the gush about Hollow Knight and other goon favorites did little to sway me this year.

I wish there was a button to clear wishlists in one go. Most of the stuff I put on mine was just to watch early access stuff to see if it actually became anything. It's in bad need of cleaning.

I do miss seeing bundles and such on the front page and saying "Somebody is going to have a lot of fun with that bundle because that's a good deal for good games." Now it's just window shopping through mostly turds.

So don't feel too bad. You probably just have everything you want or have been the vet of so many sales that you have all the good deals already. I think the real winners this sale were anyone interested in DIshonored 2, Hyper Light Drifter, Hollow Knight and Dead Cells. Sale prices seemed to put them right at the sweet spot that most people would impulse buy and bite down on. Next year will probably be deeper discounts on stuff like Prey and Nier.

Now that the storefront is no longer full of daily deals, one would think it'd be an opportunity to showcase some lesser known games or do a showcase by genre. Here's a bunch of cool shmups that are great, have a look. There's plenty of room for a more community-driven selection.

Instead it's just automated boringdom top to bottom. There's hardly any point to even look at the front page because all you'll see are the usual suspects plus a few new better-known additions.

The Steam Gift Train is the best way to clear out your wishlist if you're in doubt. Usually people will gift you something they think you might like and it's a nice opportunity to try something new.

Chargrilled Face
Nov 4, 2008
I really like the new sale format. For me the fun part of the sale is actually getting games at a discount and playing them. The fun was never in refreshing the store every 12 hours to make sure I saw all the flash sales.

I think people getting their enjoyment from the sale itself rather than from the games they're going to buy is how 90% of people here have ended up with 500+ games in their backlog that they know they're never going to play. Buying some game that barely interests you / you already own on another platform because it's $1.99 was the "fun" part, playing it never came into the equation. Steam backlogs are weird.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I bought Watch_Dogs 2 and the season pass, gonna watch some dogs tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Palpek posted:

I bought Watch_Dogs 2 and the season pass, gonna watch some dogs tonight.

Don't forget you can pet dogs too!

• Locked thread