Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.

Sitting Here posted:

When I was in high school, I did the outlet mall circuit, same as every other kid in my small-rear end town.

There's a somewhat obscure outlet chain called the VF Outlet. Imagine a Target-sized store, only there is virtually no semblance of order, and some of the clothing is extremely irregular/flawed (pants where the legs are different lengths, shirts with misprints, underwear that cost 50 cents and was about the quality you'd expect for that price, etcetera). Our demographic was an odd mix of Chinese tourists (literally, the outlet store was a tour bus stop for Chinese-speaking tours in spite of its rural location) and mountain folk who'd come from as far as Montana to load up on two or three carts' worth of lovely, dirt cheap clothing.

I had one woman roll up with a bazillion pounds of clothing for her 15 grandchildren or whatever. When it came time to pay, she tried to use her sister's EBT card, which my system couldn't even recognize, much less use for clothing. When I was finally able to get this across to her, she looked grimly into the middle distance and muttered, "That's okay. That's why I always got my sock." She reached down the front of her dress, between her massive, ancient, slab-like tits, and withdrew a sweat stained sock. Inside the sock was a tightly rolled wad of cash. I will never, ever forget how warm and moist those bills were as I peeled them apart. I had to lay each bill out separately over the rest of the cash in my till so they could dry out a bit.

But, hell, if I'd refused to take the sweaty tit cash I'd have had to ring all the merchandise back into our system. Some poo poo just isn't worth it.

Ahhh I used to get dragged to the VF outlets in Reading as a kid. My choices were to either go to school or have the day off to go clothes shopping at the outlet stores... I don't know why I ever made the latter choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Speaking of titsweat cash, when I delivered sandwiches there was a strip club called The Candy Store that would order all the time.
They'd pay with lengthwise folded, damp dollars. Tips were above average, but I still hated going there.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
I used to work overnight at a gas station a long time ago and I used to get a lot of sweaty titty cash from the night ladies of the 2 extremely low end strip clubs nearby. Once the stripper that used to always flash her boobs to me told me her real name, and I was like 'oh'. The stripper that was with her told me that's a super big deal for a stripper to tell you her real name, and I was like 'oh'. She wasn't really hot or anything, she looked like that Indian chick from the office

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
People earlier in the thread were wondering why Quiznos closed and I can answer that as I was a Quiznos drone for a while. The answer is piss poor management.

I worked for an owner that had several franchises and he did not hire the best people. He hired a night manager that did nothing but smoke weed. I mean literally nothing too as this guy would out right ignore customers while he was in the walk-in cooler getting baked. Night manager was not the most terrible management we had though. The worst management was the day manager. Day manager made even poorer choices as he racked up 3 DUIs in a nearby state and couldn't get a drivers' license. This was of course not his fault and the government shouldn't have any say in what he does on his own time. Day manager also chose to rent a crappy plastic shed as a home for 400$/month, this was in 2003-2004ish, instead of renting a decent 1 bedroom for the same amount. Somehow day manager bought a beat up truck and decided to move into the truck which was conveniently parked behind the store. Day manager made sure to lord all these achievements over us lowly drones who were living in mommy and daddies houses like losers. For context most of us were either highschool students or fresh highschool graduates. Day manager would constantly complain that he was better than this poo poo and he should be back working in the microchip factory making random doodads for 20$/hr. That was also his excuse why he would be sitting in the back doing nothing while the rest of us had to scramble to make up for night manager and do day manager's job. Day manager also had a meth problem and when he decided to use it was best to find a reason to call out or get the gently caress out because day manager would be out to make your life a living hell. It was bad enough one of my co-workers poo poo themselves to get out of having to work with day manager. The best you could hope for when day manager was using was that he would be enthralled by the computer chair in the back and sit there spinning around on it for hours. Top this all off with day manager always having to be right about everything no matter what it is, keep this part in mind.

We were having a busy day at the shopping center location and had done over 10,000$ in sandwiches in 2 hours. It's busy enough the owner called us and is shipping in meat from other locations as we'd nearly run out. We had a group of cyclists come in and they're all pretty pleasant, no coupons, no creeping on any of the girls I was working with, and no loving up the bathroom. The last guy sees we're out of chicken so he orders a veggie sandwich and wants every vegetable we have on it. So I toss everything on it and get ready to wrap it only for day manager to stop me and start telling me I'm doing it wrong and haven't put all the veggies on this sandwich. I'm confused at this point because everything in the veggie table is on the sandwich. Day manager slaps bacon on the sandwich and passes it along to the girl running the register. The customer, myself and my coworker on the register all look at each other with confused looks until the customer states that there's a mistake that the bacon shouldn't be on the sandwich as they wanted a veggie. Day manager immediately starts in on how its a little known fact that bacon is actually a vegetable as he heard it from a national geographic show that it came from some kind of tree. The customer laughed a bit and I think he thought it was a joke but, it soon became clear to him that day manager was serious. All humor drained from the customers face and he sternly asked day manager to remove the bacon. This didn't sit well with day manager because day manager HAS to be right at all times. Day manager proceeds to argue with this customer for 15 minutes which pisses the customer off enough that he decides he doesn't want the sandwich. This throws day manager into rage and day manager tosses the sandwich at the wall behind the counter having it splatter everywhere. Day manager starts screaming at the top of his lungs at us to clean up this mess while a packed dining room stares on in a mix of horror and amusement. It's about this time I decided to call the owner and report what happened which didn't go over well with day manager and was pointless because the owner didn't believe me.

Those two managers cost that store so much money it negated the profit of one of their locations.

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
I've never worked retail (but a different kind of poo poo, kitchen porter aka kitchen bitch), but I do have a few choice stories from my friends who work there.

Some guy in an IT tech store has had people show up with stolen iPhones demanding they be unlocked.

Another has had someone take a dump straight up on the shop floor.

..and one of my favourites that was in the news a little while back: man goes apeshit in Apple Store. https://youtu.be/uSrpNqwBNVY

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Detective No. 27 posted:

Couldn't you just fill in "Anonymous" in the name field?

No, it needs all your contact details to be able to be submitted to them.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
People havign a public meltdown is the best bit of retail

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

I'd rather sweaty tit money than sweaty shoe money, and I've had to take a lot of both. Sweaty shoe money usually comes from cyclists, specifically those Spandex-warrior dipshits who just fart around the city blocking traffic on weekends but dress like they're riding the Tour de France and don't carry wallets because "it's too much weight". Between the fetid shoe money and the budgie-smuggler shorts it's like it's their primary mission to gross cashiers out.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Isaac posted:

People havign a public meltdown is the best bit of retail

I literally just watched a man punch himself in the face until he was bleeding (and continued after the bleeding started) over something. I don't know what it was, but I immediately left the business (poor employees though).

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

spite house posted:

I'd rather sweaty tit money than sweaty shoe money, and I've had to take a lot of both. Sweaty shoe money usually comes from cyclists, specifically those Spandex-warrior dipshits who just fart around the city blocking traffic on weekends but dress like they're riding the Tour de France and don't carry wallets because "it's too much weight". Between the fetid shoe money and the budgie-smuggler shorts it's like it's their primary mission to gross cashiers out.

You can put money in your shoe between the tongue and the laces so it doesn't get sweaty. But that isn't the Serious Cyclist consensus, I guess.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
The serious cyclist buys a $20 waterproof pouch that fits in their jersey pocket. The less serious uses a ziplock.
Never ever heard of shoe storage, and I'm a regular spanex wearer.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I've missed tipchat. This is awful.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Volcott posted:

I've missed tipchat. This is awful.

I tipped $10 on a $20 meal today. :smuggo:

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Azuth0667 posted:

It's busy enough the owner called us and is shipping in meat from other locations as we'd nearly run out.

This happened at a brothel I went to.
I didn't tip.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

nm posted:

The serious cyclist buys a $20 waterproof pouch that fits in their jersey pocket. The less serious uses a ziplock.
Never ever heard of shoe storage, and I'm a regular spanex wearer.

I have cash in my saddle bag but I've never used it, I take a card with me because lol if you actually use cash.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

spite house posted:

I'd rather sweaty tit money than sweaty shoe money, and I've had to take a lot of both.

I would keep a large paper cup next to the register and dump gross money into it and then pour in detergent and water and let it sit for an hour or so before dumping it into the sink and washing it off.

I learned very quickly that gross money is the gift that keeps giving, every time you put your hand in the drawer and touch it :cry:

But it wasn't the sweaty cash that freaked me out the most, it was always the "why is it sticky and oh god what's that, is it engine grease or poo poo ewwww" coins I'd randomly be handed.

EDIT: Nope, I remember the money which really disgusted me the most - people with nasty hands. Like open sores, or covered in warts and poo poo. I'd have to go wash my hands even if it means making a customer wait.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

A customer service professional.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRCHBi0DRFg&t=372s

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Gorilla Salad posted:

EDIT: Nope, I remember the money which really disgusted me the most - people with nasty hands. Like open sores, or covered in warts and poo poo. I'd have to go wash my hands even if it means making a customer wait.
One time I was ringing up a woman who had some kind of skin condition, and she started scratching greasy yellow drifts of skin flakes off her forearms and onto my counter in the middle of the transaction.

The people in line behind her were irritated that I made them wait while I cleaned up.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

spite house posted:

One time I was ringing up a woman who had some kind of skin condition, and she started scratching greasy yellow drifts of skin flakes off her forearms and onto my counter in the middle of the transaction.

The people in line behind her were irritated that I made them wait while I cleaned up.

:froggonk:

I have seen people pop giant gross zits in line and then hand money to the cashier without even wiping their fingers on something.

ghost host
Apr 17, 2010

ain't got no cash
ain't go no style
I don't really understand what cashiers do all day. Like how do you get through 4 hour shifts, let alone 9 hours?

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.

Kelp Me! posted:

Man the shrink level at the B&N by me must be loving sky-high. They don't actually stick those security tags onto books, they just slide them in between the pages (if they put one in at all) and you can just flip through the book and it'll fall out. There's like a dozen high schools in the area and tons of students go there to study or do homework. The number of times I've seen a kid pack up his books and slide an extra SAT prep book or Naruto Vol. 69 was ridiculous. I don't think I've ever heard the security thing at the exit go off.

i was receiving manager for 2 years (ask me about opening/sorting 100+ 50lb boxes 40hrs/week) and i *had* to stick the tags in the books because our graphic novel theft was out of control. fuckin nerds.

new phone who dis posted:

Are you in San Diego?

midwest

the thing about most toilet incidents was that we never knew who did it, so we couldn't kick them out. you had to be a special kind of rear end in a top hat to get banned. some dude stalked me for a week and management refused to do anything "unless he did something really bad," which apparently didnt include sexual harassment. guy eventually left on his own.

diabeetz posted:

I don't really understand what cashiers do all day. Like how do you get through 4 hour shifts, let alone 9 hours?

talk poo poo about the customer you just rang up as theyre walking away, regardless of how innocuous the transaction was.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

ISIS CURES TROONS posted:

:froggonk:

I have seen people pop giant gross zits in line and then hand money to the cashier without even wiping their fingers on something.

went to my own work today to buy beer. there was a used band aid sitting on the counter

e: it's not the most disgusting thing mentioned so far but jfc just imagine

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

diabeetz posted:

Depending on where you work, cashiers at the register are often responsible for things like merchandising the checkout lanes (refilling the impulse buy crap that stores put right before you check out), cleaning the checkout area/windows/doors/entry and exits (some places extend this to make the cashiers responsible for all the things out in front of the store as well), returning and remerchandising returned and exchanged product and product from the sales floor that gets up to the checkout and then doesn't get bought ('oops I forgot my card' 'i decided i don't want this' 'my kid put this in the cart hide it and make it look like you bagged it so i don't have to say no'), maintaining and merchandising a section of the sales floor, setting up new displays and store fixtures and generic customer service work.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Gorilla Salad posted:

I would keep a large paper cup next to the register and dump gross money into it and then pour in detergent and water and let it sit for an hour or so before dumping it into the sink and washing it off.

I learned very quickly that gross money is the gift that keeps giving, every time you put your hand in the drawer and touch it :cry:

But it wasn't the sweaty cash that freaked me out the most, it was always the "why is it sticky and oh god what's that, is it engine grease or poo poo ewwww" coins I'd randomly be handed.

I've noticed quite a few checkout operators with boxes of disinfectant hand wipes next to them. I guess things like this are the reason.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Worst I ever had was a dollar bill drenched in cat piss from some old lady

The smell would not go away - put the bill in a plastic bag with an explanation to management, then thought better of it and just threw it out

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

diabeetz posted:

I entertain myself by contemplating the eventual heat death of the universe and how in the grand scheme of things, all of the sweaty tit-moneyed, slack jawed yokels who can't read any signage what so ever will all ultimately be gone in the searing hot-cold of eternity where all life has been snuffed out by entropys unflinching and uncaring gaze.

It's one of the few things that warms the cold cockles of my heart anymore.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

NorgLyle posted:

my kid put this in the cart hide it and make it look like you bagged it so i don't have to say no'

Wow. What else to parents/kids do?

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

spacetoaster posted:

my general experience with children and parents are children running around at full speed, screaming, and playing hide and seek while their parents lazily say "Hey... no... cut that out..."

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Kids also think it's fun to take their arm and push merchandise down the shelves and/or push merchandise to the back of shelves, creating hours of fun for the poor rear end in a top hat that has to put everything back in place

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

Ziv Zulander posted:

What type of gas station lets people refuel before paying?

Every single one in the UK for a start

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The fact that I have yet to even once see someone belt their kid in a grocery store of any kind really diminishes my faith in humanity

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Tonight some absolute fucker goes to buy a $3 bottle of water with a fifty. The thing is I can see in his wallet he has a twenty and a ten, so I mention that I don't have a lot in the till (night shift at a petrol station) and he then goes, nah, I actually just want to split the note. I say that it won't be neat change and he literally just says he doesn't care what I think.

Congratulations sir, your prize is all of my silver. Don't come back.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
To be fair carrying around a fifty sounds like a real drag unless you're headed out for dinner

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I had an rear end in a top hat try to once pay for three separate 25 dollar purchases with a hundred dollar bill each. He got extremely pissed when I didnt have change after the first one and had to have the cash manager (literally the amusement park owner) come out to restock and rebalance my till twice.

Wouldnt stop paying that way despite all the cussing though.

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib
I used to deck on a water taxi, and we would straight up demand exact change or a card. If people got snippy we didn't care because we answered to the captain and the captain trusted us to do our jobs/backed us. I loved that job and would still be there if it wasn't dead end/seasonal :allears:

This past weekend some yuppie couple came into the small coffee shop I'm barista at and tried to pay for a small coffee and a donut with a hundred. I refused and told him I could accept card-they didn't get lovely, but seemed really surprised. I was equally surprised they were surprised.

The wife then, while holding a packet of almonds, asked me "I see you have vegan donuts and glutten free donuts, but so you have donuts/anything that's both?" I just smiled and told her the almond and coffee both qualified.

Earlier that day a guy had us playing musical chairs with his selection/quantity of donuts. Took us ten minutes to get his poo poo right/accommodate his changes of mind, then he didn't tip.

(I've been encouraging the other baristas to ask for smaller bills on weekends when we sell donuts bc I'm sick of ending up with nothing but 20s in the tills; seems to be largely falling on deaf ears)

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

diabeetz posted:

When I was a cashier they rarely scheduled you more than 4.5 hours. Usually it was whatever the lowest amount of time they could schedule you without having to pay you for a lunch break.

This was at a Wal-Mart so they had like 40 cashiers all at sub 20 hours a week so they didn't have to pay benefits.

The only people who got 9 hour shifts were the management staff, shipping/receiving, and the old lady cashiers who if they got rid of them all the customers would allegedly stop coming in. Well they recently started to get rid of them or they started dying off and the customers still came so I guess all the lunch room talk of customer loyalty was just hot air. Nothing was funner than having old cashiers hate you just for existing and threatening to take their hours. When I was 16 and first started working I had that attitude of I'll give my 100% to this job, nothing killed that faster than old co-workers making GBS threads on everything you did.

If you ever want to see the crab in a bucket mentality go work at Wal-Mart with some lifers

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

spacetoaster posted:

"Do what I say or this lady [meaning me] will call the police on you."

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
TBF, making your vegan donuts gluten free seems like a no brainer from a marketing perspective.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

spite house posted:

"Do what I say or this lady [meaning me] will call the police on you."

Always hilarious to respond "Oh, don't worry, I won't do that" and watch the parent's enraged face. gently caress you, parent your own child instead of palming it off onto a retail worker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

nm posted:

TBF, making your vegan donuts gluten free seems like a no brainer from a marketing perspective.

Plenty of vegans are smart enough to not fall for the gluten-free scam though

• Locked thread