Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
HYPE TRAIN KEEP CHUGGING ON

http://www.theindychannel.com/lifestyle/food/indianapolis-colts-grille-closing-downtown-restaurant

BEHOLD THE PUNISHMENT METED OUT BY REFUSING TO ADHERE TO OUR NERD TRIVIA DEMANDS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I'm excited for my wife because it's her first GenCon. I think she is going to be in the crafting room for a long time.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I'm excited for my wife because she gets 3 whole days alone at home where she doesn't have to deal with me.

She loves boar games, but has less of a tolerance for long play sessions.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

I'm having a hard time getting hyped because my group still hasn't gotten our hotel rooms figured out. Also, work is really busy right now, so I haven't really had the chance to think about all the stuff I'm going to do at Gen Con. (I also didn't get any event tickets at all on Saturday, but that's not really a big problem; I can browse the catalog or just do some games on demand or something.)

I do have a session of CrossTalk early on Thursday, so if it's as good as Codenames, I'll see if I can buy it and it can be our late night party game.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Kaddish posted:

My hype level has started to build my goons....just like every mid-summer for the past 5 years or so

:same:

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Hey, is this a contract con people dress up for? Should I dress up in a costume? Or will I be the only dork at the tables if so?

Moriatti fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 4, 2017

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Moriatti posted:

will I be the only dork?

oh no honey, certainly not

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Moriatti posted:

Hey, is this a contract people dress up for?

Holy cow you dress up for contracts? What area is your profession in?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I cosplay one or two days of the con and its a lot of fun

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Exmond posted:

Holy cow you dress up for contracts? What area is your profession in?

It's more of a side profession.

Turbo-Pharaoh
Jan 9, 2011
It;s unfortunate that panic caused by "oh we might sell out this year" caused me to purchase a will call ticket, considering the last 3 years I've laughed at will call nerds as I strolled up and bought a ticket for the day on-site with maybe 3 people ahead of me. Not looking forward to the lines.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Thankfully the lines have been incredibly fast the last few years. I don't think I've stood in one for more than 30 minutes.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
I did will-call the last two years and I was in and out of the line in under 15 minutes each time, around noonish on Thursday.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I'm getting into town on Wednesday and plan on going after 8 pm.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yeah if you go at a non-peak time (meaning not "early evening on Wednesday" or then of course "morning any other day") your Will Call experience should be pleasant, albeit likely not Smug Day-Of Badge Purchase Man pleasant.

Moriatti posted:

Hey, is this a contract con people dress up for? Should I dress up in a costume? Or will I be the only dork at the tables if so?
Assuming I should take your avatar seriously, the number of times I have seen overt bears cosplaying is incredibly minimal, despite the fact that a burly dude unabashedly working it in some outlandish cosplay always seems to go over great. Even if in part because it is so unusual.

I say, speaking authoritatively on gay issues as the world's least interesting straight man.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Haystack posted:

Thankfully the lines have been incredibly fast the last few years. I don't think I've stood in one for more than 30 minutes.

They've really worked on it especially since they have the incentive of all the souls of the damned still standing in the 2011 will call line staring at them.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
Speaking of hairy dudes cosplaying, there was an amazing Conan meets Bobba Fett cosplay two years ago or so. We were impressed.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Last year there was an amazing guy dressed as John Hammond from Jurassic Park. Had the amber walking cane and all. Probably the best cosplay I've ever seen.

EDIT: pretty sure this is him

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

i know that bathroom anywhere

thats the gross one dont go in there

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

CellBlock posted:

I'm having a hard time getting hyped because my group still hasn't gotten our hotel rooms figured out. Also, work is really busy right now, so I haven't really had the chance to think about all the stuff I'm going to do at Gen Con. (I also didn't get any event tickets at all on Saturday, but that's not really a big problem; I can browse the catalog or just do some games on demand or something.)

I do have a session of CrossTalk early on Thursday, so if it's as good as Codenames, I'll see if I can buy it and it can be our late night party game.

If you're willing to spend for it there is likely still suites available downtown

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

This is most of them

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

There's tons of nice bathrooms if you're not a scrub and know where to find them (its the hotels go to the hotels) but that particular one is in the vendor hall right next to the entrance and its easily the most trafficked one of the con and ends up a hellpit somewhere around 1PM on thursday

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
I've found the ones on the second floor of the ICC down the halls tend to be pretty empty and nice.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

8one6 posted:

They've really worked on it especially since they have the incentive of all the souls of the damned still standing in the 2011 will call line staring at them.
Hahahahahaha

"Some say you can still hear them complaining about how it was better in Milwaukee...if you walk over there to where they are still standing."

We had a running joke about attendees from the 2002 convention forgetting it had moved in 2003 and still being stuck in Milwaukee traffic trying to get there in 2004... And then there is my automatic thought every time I see an enormous person out of breath and resting in public, that this person is walking to Gen-Con and that I wish them the best of luck in getting there on time.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Dr. Quarex posted:

Yeah if you go at a non-peak time (meaning not "early evening on Wednesday" or then of course "morning any other day") your Will Call experience should be pleasant, albeit likely not Smug Day-Of Badge Purchase Man pleasant.

Assuming I should take your avatar seriously, the number of times I have seen overt bears cosplaying is incredibly minimal, despite the fact that a burly dude unabashedly working it in some outlandish cosplay always seems to go over great. Even if in part because it is so unusual.

I say, speaking authoritatively on gay issues as the world's least interesting straight man.

Ah man, costumes are one of the few times I wish that was my appearance.

Nah, I earned this one by having a selfie of me as an avatar. I'm not a huge dude, so it'll probably be a less exciting cosplay than that.

What's the best way to get to downtown anyways? I've got some early (I think earliest is 8AM) events scheduled, how is the traffic/are the Will Call lines?

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Has anyone started getting their badges yet?

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Moriatti posted:

What's the best way to get to downtown anyways? I've got some early (I think earliest is 8AM) events scheduled, how is the traffic/are the Will Call lines?

Where are you coming in from?

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

North Central IN

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS
As one of the designated Indiana people, please be more specific and I will be able to give you a better idea of the best way.

As for Will Call lines, they are a breeze these days thanks to them being open 24 hour starting on Wednesday.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Looking like Pickwick Farms.
Also that's good, I'll be visiting someone up there, so I'll be there Monday.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Moriatti posted:

Ah man, costumes are one of the few times I wish that was my appearance.

Nah, I earned this one by having a selfie of me as an avatar. I'm not a huge dude, so it'll probably be a less exciting cosplay than that.

If you're taking 31 it will bring you right downtown. That's the way I always took coming from South Bend, easy peazy.

Edit - Oh, you mean from already in Indy. Looks like Meridian still or Michigan, but Backno will know better.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jul 6, 2017

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

BGG has their GenCon 2017 preview list going, useful for planning and getting hype.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
So Gen Con (sort of) sold out...

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Newsletter just announced that BADGES ARE GONE! (4-day badge registration is over; single-day badges will remain available while supplies last. No badges will be sold on-site.)

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
I poked my head into this thread a little while back, but now I am finally getting around to coming up with a schedule of events. My wife and I will be bringing our 4 year old, and I am curious what everyone's advice is. This will be our first Gencon, but we are specifically interested in: Cosplay(both), Warhammer 40K(me), and Dr. Who(her). We are already trying to figure out how we want to divide the day, because we know the kiddo isn't going to be able to handle the whole thing, so we are assuming a return to the hotel for a nap is in the cards.

As we go over it we are thinking of being there Saturday and Sunday, and making Saturday our day, pulling some sort of port/starboard where one of us attends what we want the first half of the day, and then swapping kid duty while the other gets the second half of the day to themselves. Sunday would then of course be a true family day.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Taking a 4 year old to such a crowded event where so much stuff is going on 24 hours a day sounds like a waking nightmare and is something I would never attempt.

I hope you survive.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

CellBlock posted:

Newsletter just announced that BADGES ARE GONE! (4-day badge registration is over; single-day badges will remain available while supplies last. No badges will be sold on-site.)

The rumor I've heard is that they've sold about 75k uniques. For reference, last year's was 60,819.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

Moriatti posted:

Looking like Pickwick Farms.
Also that's good, I'll be visiting someone up there, so I'll be there Monday.

The fastest way will probably be 465 West to 65 South. This will dump you off near Lucas Oil for easy, relatively inexpensive parking.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

enigmahfc posted:

Taking a 4 year old to such a crowded event where so much stuff is going on 24 hours a day sounds like a waking nightmare and is something I would never attempt.

I hope you survive.

Yeah, I am anticipating it, but my wife wanted to turn it into a full family event. Recent conversation indicates she might be regretting her choice, but we will see. I was originally planning on going alone to participate in the 40K event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

I just bought 2 single day passes for thurs/friday because I waited too long but if I buy event tickets for something on Friday night (which i'll have a badge for) and it runs into Saturday morning, will I have any problems with not having a Saturday badge?

• Locked thread