Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I'm looking for suggestions on a third legacy deck, part of it is wanting to mix it up, and part of it is that I'm getting a legacy scene going at my shop and I've been lending decks more and more.

I have Bant Deathblade as my primary deck and Reanimator that I loan often.

I really just want to pick something up that plays differently - I am debating between New Miracles, Death and Taxes (leaning away from this as there's a lot of that here already), and I'm not sure what else.

My primary factor is that it 'feels' different so I have a secondary deck that offers a different dynamic, and isn't just a T1-3 combo deck. What am I foolishly not considering?

the answer is probably lands, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Food Chain Leovold

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
How about Elves?

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Walked posted:

I'm looking for suggestions on a third legacy deck, part of it is wanting to mix it up, and part of it is that I'm getting a legacy scene going at my shop and I've been lending decks more and more.

I really just want to pick something up that plays differently - I am debating between New Miracles, Death and Taxes (leaning away from this as there's a lot of that here already), and I'm not sure what else.

My primary factor is that it 'feels' different so I have a secondary deck that offers a different dynamic, and isn't just a T1-3 combo deck. What am I foolishly not considering?

It's lands.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Voyager I posted:

Yeah two bolts definitely won't give you cancer or anything, especially if it's in addition to a bunch of Pushes and Paths.

I'd probably run a list something like 4 x Push, 2 x Path, 2 x Bolt, 2 x Helix as a starting point. Probably no Dreadbore since you premium removal with Path and plenty of board pressure for walkers.

EDIT: in retrospect that looks pretty crowded on small poo poo removal, but this is the kind of stuff you have to tune through testing / knowing your meta anyways.

My meta is all over the place from week to week so I usually have to go pretty general on things. Make SBing a pain, but I've got a loooot of different SB cards in my collection as a result!

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jul 3, 2017

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Walked posted:

Try a 4-5 color Pyromancer pile. They're all super fun no matter what colors you pick. White for plows and mentor or bug for Leovold.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

It's totally lands.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
UR Delver :getin:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

:frogout:

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
The Gate :corsair:

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Chamale posted:

I am still looking for suggestions for good high-value small creatures, especially green ones that I can find with Green Sun's Zenith.

Sylvan Safekeeper could be cool if you're on the emperion plan. good old fashioned tarmogoyf seems fine as well

i saw cephalid breakfast win a match at the Vegas GP. Let's bring 'em all back. I'll throw together The Cure

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

So this is my current incarnation of Norin Soul Sisters, and it works fairly well. I like my assortment of fun-ofs to shake things up a bit (Fling-ing a giant Pridemate to get through blockers, or dropping aetherflux and headshotting someone out of nowhere, or a quick rushdown with a Chalice), but I have bad matchups against Tron, Jund(kinda), and Scapeshift. Any suggestions for tweaks or alternate sideboard choices?

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Uhhh more Blood Moons?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Archenteron posted:

So this is my current incarnation of Norin Soul Sisters, and it works fairly well. I like my assortment of fun-ofs to shake things up a bit (Fling-ing a giant Pridemate to get through blockers, or dropping aetherflux and headshotting someone out of nowhere, or a quick rushdown with a Chalice), but I have bad matchups against Tron, Jund(kinda), and Scapeshift. Any suggestions for tweaks or alternate sideboard choices?

What myDad said, Blood Moon is killer against Tron and Scapeshift so I'd try to get at least one more into the board. Maybe cut the SB Ghost Quarter, or move it MD and cut the Westvale Abbey? Also I think I'd run 2x Chalice or Reservoir, but not both. I imagine Chalice is more consistent that Reservoir can give that "go over the top" sort of win that usually beats Jund.

How necessary are the Caverns? According to Deckstats this is pretty cheap outside of those and satisfies my lust for T2/T3 Modern decks. Also lets me sate my Lightning Helix lust.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

C-Euro posted:

What myDad said, Blood Moon is killer against Tron and Scapeshift so I'd try to get at least one more into the board. Maybe cut the SB Ghost Quarter, or move it MD and cut the Westvale Abbey? Also I think I'd run 2x Chalice or Reservoir, but not both. I imagine Chalice is more consistent that Reservoir can give that "go over the top" sort of win that usually beats Jund.

How necessary are the Caverns? According to Deckstats this is pretty cheap outside of those and satisfies my lust for T2/T3 Modern decks. Also lets me sate my Lightning Helix lust.

Depends on how control-heavy your meta is. Being able to jam safe Humans (or Purphoros) against control is pretty powerful. While cutting the Westvale is an option, it's another comedy fun-of that I put in to get extra value from my Myr tokens (also I forgot Kher Keep existed at first) Plus they keep you from (mostly) imploding to Chalice on 1. Another Blood Moon is probably a good bet though. Kinda wish I still had room for the Dusk//Dawn I kept in an earlier incarnation of the sideboard.

Also: 50% of opponents have never seen Mark of Asylum before. They get really upset once they read it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Archenteron posted:

Depends on how control-heavy your meta is. Being able to jam safe Humans (or Purphoros) against control is pretty powerful. While cutting the Westvale is an option, it's another comedy fun-of that I put in to get extra value from my Myr tokens (also I forgot Kher Keep existed at first) Plus they keep you from (mostly) imploding to Chalice on 1. Another Blood Moon is probably a good bet though. Kinda wish I still had room for the Dusk//Dawn I kept in an earlier incarnation of the sideboard.

Also: 50% of opponents have never seen Mark of Asylum before. They get really upset once they read it.

Counterpoint: those Myr tokens are also great with Loyalist and Purphoros. I've always been a bit wary of Abbey since it dies to Path after paying a big cost for it, but since those tokens are free anyway maybe it's not such a big deal in this build. I've had it as a 1-of in BW Tokens but don't have enough playtesting to properly assess it.

lockdar
Jul 7, 2008

C-Euro posted:

In my experience as a Skred player a Blood Moon is not a garuanteed win against Tron unless you can present a very fast clock. They are able to keep making land drops and getting to 6 or 7 mana is usually fairly easy for Tron with all their artifacts in the deck. I've dropped multiple T2 Blood Moons against R/G Tron and I still got overwhelmed because Skred usually doesn't close out games fast enough.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
So I'm one of those limited purists, screw constructed; garbage formats for garbage people. But I've been acquiring cards for a number of years now, and finally put together all the cards for a real modern deck and took it out for a spin at its first tournament.
Taking it out for a spin is what it felt like, too. When you exclusively play sealed and draft, climbing behind the wheel of Grixis Death Shadow is like pulling up to a stoplight in a Ferrari. Eldrazi Tron's revving it's engine in its Mustang, and I'm just feeling smug waiting for the light to turn green. Mopedding a 2/2 on turn 2 is fun, but going 0-60 with turn 2 Tasigur with Stubborn denial backup is a whole other beast. I had some growing pains, my game 1 loss against burn was hilarious before I figured out how to play the matchup. Sideboarding takes me forever since I don't actually know exactly what every other deck is trying to do. It was a lot of fun, honestly it was a rush, and I expect to play a lot more modern tournaments in the near future, especially if I can keep converting a $5 entry into $80 credit. I hope they don't ban it, but I think I'm only a couple hundred bucks off any other modern deck I'd want to build after all these years of drafting and hoarding, so if I can bank a safety net with some victories I'll have no problem converting to something new.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Shovelmint posted:

So I'm one of those limited purists, screw constructed; garbage formats for garbage people. But I've been acquiring cards for a number of years now, and finally put together all the cards for a real modern deck and took it out for a spin at its first tournament.
Taking it out for a spin is what it felt like, too. When you exclusively play sealed and draft, climbing behind the wheel of Grixis Death Shadow is like pulling up to a stoplight in a Ferrari. Eldrazi Tron's revving it's engine in its Mustang, and I'm just feeling smug waiting for the light to turn green. Mopedding a 2/2 on turn 2 is fun, but going 0-60 with turn 2 Tasigur with Stubborn denial backup is a whole other beast. I had some growing pains, my game 1 loss against burn was hilarious before I figured out how to play the matchup. Sideboarding takes me forever since I don't actually know exactly what every other deck is trying to do. It was a lot of fun, honestly it was a rush, and I expect to play a lot more modern tournaments in the near future, especially if I can keep converting a $5 entry into $80 credit. I hope they don't ban it, but I think I'm only a couple hundred bucks off any other modern deck I'd want to build after all these years of drafting and hoarding, so if I can bank a safety net with some victories I'll have no problem converting to something new.

:getin:

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Shovelmint posted:

Yeah the deck is cool and good right?

Welcome to Modern! The best (widely played) format!

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I think the deck is cool and good, I'm not sure how my opponents feel. Never has there been a more appropriate use of :getin: though. I'm ready to GO! I'm glad I'm already Magic rich as gently caress, though, because these cards are expensive. So glad I drafted sets of fetches and shocks and everything else.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Shovelmint posted:

I think the deck is cool and good, I'm not sure how my opponents feel. Never has there been a more appropriate use of :getin: though. I'm ready to GO! I'm glad I'm already Magic rich as gently caress, though, because these cards are expensive. So glad I drafted sets of fetches and shocks and everything else.

my friend, have you heard the good news about Legacy? You can even play your Death's Shadows there!

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
If GSD doesn't get banned out that credit is going towards finishing out my set of the original duals and forces. Probably about 35% of the way to the duals, cost-wise, but I haven't found an opportunity to pick any up in the past year.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Shovelmint posted:

If GSD doesn't get banned out that credit is going towards finishing out my set of the original duals and forces. Probably about 35% of the way to the duals, cost-wise, but I haven't found an opportunity to pick any up in the past year.

I don't think Shadow is gonna get banned, the deck is good but not oppressively so.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Conventional wisdom says otherwise, but I'm hopeful. I traded for most of twin just before it was banned which is how I ended up so close to completing this deck, then went back to limited after that project was stymied. I'd like to get some play out of these snapcasters, I'm not attached to the death's shadow wincon particularly.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Shovelmint posted:

Conventional wisdom says otherwise, but I'm hopeful. I traded for most of twin just before it was banned which is how I ended up so close to completing this deck, then went back to limited after that project was stymied. I'd like to get some play out of these snapcasters, I'm not attached to the death's shadow wincon particularly.

I was going to say "it doesn't make sense to ban anything from DS decks, they're just a pile of good cards like Jund!" and then remember that both BBE and DRS were banned specifically for how good they were in Jund :lol:

For the record I don't think Wizards would ban anything in DS with the intent to kill the deck outright, just to take it down a peg. I just don't know what that would be.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
It would probably be Thoughtseize that eats the ban.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Star Man posted:

It would probably be Thoughtseize that eats the ban.

:eyepop:

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

C-Euro posted:

I was going to say "it doesn't make sense to ban anything from DS decks, they're just a pile of good cards like Jund!" and then remember that both BBE and DRS were banned specifically for how good they were in Jund :lol:

For the record I don't think Wizards would ban anything in DS with the intent to kill the deck outright, just to take it down a peg. I just don't know what that would be.

When Jund gets too good it's easy to nerf, you just ban the card that exists at the intersection of "best" and "played by fewest other decks". Death's Shadow doesn't currently need a nerf, and if the deck ever needs anything banned it's going to have to be Death's Shadow itself.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

C-Euro posted:

I don't remember offhand if BBE needed to be banned but DRS is actually broken as hell, there's a reason it's a top 5 spell in Legacy and playable in Vintage

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Elyv posted:

I don't remember offhand if BBE needed to be banned but DRS is actually broken as hell, there's a reason it's a top 5 spell in Legacy and playable in Vintage

I want to say their justification was that jund was winning all the gp's and basically playing BBE and getting another value spell for free is pretty drat sweet.

DRS... well turn two Liliana is ridiculously good.

I can't wait until another deck becomes played more often than Death's Shadow so mtg players can collectively move on to discussing banning cards from a different deck.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Dehtraen posted:

I want to say their justification was that jund was winning all the gp's and basically playing BBE and getting another value spell for free is pretty drat sweet.

DRS... well turn two Liliana is ridiculously good.

DRS does a hell of a lot more than tap for mana.

lockdar posted:

In my experience as a Skred player a Blood Moon is not a garuanteed win against Tron unless you can present a very fast clock. They are able to keep making land drops and getting to 6 or 7 mana is usually fairly easy for Tron with all their artifacts in the deck. I've dropped multiple T2 Blood Moons against R/G Tron and I still got overwhelmed because Skred usually doesn't close out games fast enough.

Watching prison decks fart out a fast Blood Moon and then get owned by T7 Karn because they never made another relevant play is one of my favorite things in Magic.

RG Ponza typically ramps into a big threat and has other LD to slow them down further, so I would probably favor them in the matchup pretty heavily.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jul 5, 2017

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

i can confirm that all flavors of tron are a Good Matchup for Ponza

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Well, yeah, "one mana planeswalker" and all... but in modern t2 lily, then just grinding out your opponent based around their discards with DRS / Lily going to work is pretty backbreaking against a lot of decks.

Dehtraen fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jul 5, 2017

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You don't see anyone calling for a Birds of Paradise ban though.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

In turn one, you can knock your life total down to 15 with a fetchland, shockland, and a Thoughtseize and pick off a card that will take out your Death's Shadow or delve creature. In turn two, if you have a second Thoughtseize, you can do it again and put yourself at 10 life and have a 3/3 Death's Shadow. Without Thoutseize, you need to spend more time whittling away your own life total to get a sizable Death's Shadow.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Star Man posted:

In turn one, you can knock your life total down to 15 with a fetchland, shockland, and a Thoughtseize and pick off a card that will take out your Death's Shadow or delve creature. In turn two, if you have a second Thoughtseize, you can do it again and put yourself at 10 life and have a 3/3 Death's Shadow. Without Thoutseize, you need to spend more time whittling away your own life total to get a sizable Death's Shadow.

We know how Thoughtsieze interacts with Death's Shadow, but it seems remarkably unlikely that if they choose to go after a deck, they are going to do so by banning a format staple that gets included in basically every black deck rather than targeting an enabler that is mostly specific to the deck in question.

Banning Thoughtsieze because of Grixis Shadow would be like if they had decided to take Twin down a peg by banning Lightning Bolt.

Also, while we're on DRS chat, did they ever explain what their thought process was when they were designing the card? There are some obvious mistakes in retrospect, with the fact that it's a mana dork for mono-black decks arguably being a bigger fuckup than the fact that it's disgustingly powerful. Did fetch bases just not work the way they do these days when the card was printed?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Star Man posted:

Thoughtseize is way too prevalent in the rest of the format for a ban, and I don't think Wizards would ban a card that would affect things beyond the problem deck (though there have been exceptions, RIP Eye of Ugin). It would be like if Burn got too good and then they decided to ban Bolt. E: Voyager's example is better.

ThePeavstenator posted:

When Jund gets too good it's easy to nerf, you just ban the card that exists at the intersection of "best" and "played by fewest other decks". Death's Shadow doesn't currently need a nerf, and if the deck ever needs anything banned it's going to have to be Death's Shadow itself.

Basically it fails this test. Banning DS or Street Wraith would seem like a more logical call, I saw some pretty good Grixis Control lists floating around before people realized DS was good in that style of deck. But at the same time if I can beat your deck with Mill it is not banworthy IMO.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jul 5, 2017

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

I'm feeling super apathetic after the miracles banning. None of the other control decks I've tried are nearly as fun or interesting. I've gone back to dabbling in Pyromancer decks, but I just can't bring myself to care about legacy at all when it feels like I wasted years of my life learning a deck that got banned. I need something to enjoy the format with again. Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Voyager I posted:

Also, while we're on DRS chat, did they ever explain what their thought process was when they were designing the card? There are some obvious mistakes in retrospect, with the fact that it's a mana dork for mono-black decks arguably being a bigger fuckup than the fact that it's disgustingly powerful. Did fetch bases just not work the way they do these days when the card was printed?

Iirc it was designed for standard, where it was a good but fair card. There were no fetches in that standard, naturally.