Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

goose willis posted:

Warptime gives a unit a free movement phase, big loving deal

Warp Talons come in from the warp more than 9" from an enemy unit, psyker casts warp time on them, they walk up to the enemy unit and then charge them. Their deep strike warp whatever ability says that on the turn they come in, enemy unit can't overwatch. They then proceed to take that unit off the board.

Guy did this to me this weekend and it was loving brutal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

LingcodKilla posted:

I sold one with no bits added on but had been stepped on decades ago and clearly stated it and it still sold for over $60.

Wow. I sort of like it though. There's some goofy bits I want to remove and maybe add a few bits, but on the whole it's passable. I much prefer the idea of my World Eaters having pre Heresy era equipment. I've got a couple of original Rhinos as well in this bundle, but man, I'd forgotten how tiny they are. They are the Fiat 500s of the 40k world.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Serotonin posted:

Wow. I sort of like it though. There's some goofy bits I want to remove and maybe add a few bits, but on the whole it's passable. I much prefer the idea of my World Eaters having pre Heresy era equipment. I've got a couple of original Rhinos as well in this bundle, but man, I'd forgotten how tiny they are. They are the Fiat 500s of the 40k world.

The way you described it I was picturing something much much worse. That is super salvageable. But yeah I agree, definitely some goofy poo poo on there like the battle cannon as a... smoke stack, I guess?

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.
Would acetone do something about the greenstuff? I know it wears down plastic if you have it in there long enough.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Suddenly reminded that I left one of the old super dumb looking Chaplain Lemartes soaking in a tub of super clean for the last few days.

One of the first 40k minis I ever owned.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

The way you described it I was picturing something much much worse. That is super salvageable. But yeah I agree, definitely some goofy poo poo on there like the battle cannon as a... smoke stack, I guess?

lol I thought that it was a battle cannon. I kind of like the smoke stack/exhaust idea but it looks too much like a gun stuck on there right now. Shouldn't be hard to remove.

I might throw it on eBay with a speculative buy it now price and see what happens

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
Green Stuff Removal Chat: leaving the model in the freezer for a while will turn the GS gummy and easy to remove with a craft knife / pair of pliers. I had to do that to a Aliens-style hive tyrant I got off ebay a couple weeks ago; her wings had been attached with GS and slops of super glue, so some major cleanup was needed.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Is there an official place to submit rules queries other than the public facebook page? Were all the FAQ contents sourced from there, or is there an email address people send to as well?

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Serotonin posted:

I wonder if anyone has any bright ideas.

I inherited a huge lot of 40K Khorne stuff, mix of modern releases like Defilers and Hellbrute but also some super old school stuff such as Rogue Trader era Land Raiders ( will make a perfect base to make a Hellforged Proteus).

My problem is a couple of the models have conversions that I'm not a fan of. The main one being a metal Demon Prince model ( the latest one prior to finecast) that has had a scratch built jet pack added and held in place by what is possibly green stuff. I'm going to strip the models back but I wondered if there was a way of dissolving or removing green stuff?

I used Biostrip 20 to paint strip some green stuffed bases I'd made, and the green stuff popped off the plastic when I checked on them after 24 hours. Might be worth trying that?

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
So now that turn 2 assault seems to be a massive thing, how do Tau play to counter that?

Another question: I haven't played a game in a decade or so, but I dug out an old unassembled Tau Battleforce from like 4th or 5th edition, and I'm wondering what else I should be looking at grabbing next? If people generally just go straight for the assault almost instantly, I'm hesitant to go for too many standard fire warriors.

The stuff I have so far:
- XV8 Crisis Suit (probably Counts-as-Commander for now)
- Devilfish
- 3x XV25 Stealth Suits
- 12x Kroot Carnivore
- 12x Fire Warrior

Plus a few drones for various squads.

Surprise T Rex fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jul 5, 2017

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Turn 2 assaults? With games of two mobile armies it can be turn 1. Or turn 1 with deep strikes and warptime. It's great.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

xtothez posted:

Is there an official place to submit rules queries other than the public facebook page? Were all the FAQ contents sourced from there, or is there an email address people send to as well?

Supposedly there should be a page going up on Warham Community for it, but it's not online yet. Announced it alongside the Matched Play rules on a stream a little while back.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

SteelMentor posted:

Supposedly there should be a page going up on Warham Community for it, but it's not online yet. Announced it alongside the Matched Play rules on a stream a little while back.

I found this address mentioned on another forum gamefaqs@gwplc.com and emailed them this. Basically a FAQ precedent for keywords in AoS would make some of the Tyranid character bonuses less effective with how they're currently worded. I don't think this is intentional, but at the same time I don't want to see Tyranid players building lists around RAI only for some TO to rule against them on RAW.

Hopefully they'll errata the rules to use keywords instead so it's perfectly clear.

quote:

Hello,

After a recent game we had a query on how aura bonuses work in the new 40k with the characters that provide them, specifically Tyranids.

There was a FAQ for Age of Sigmar which says when a keyword is being used, it appears as KEYWORD BOLD. Any other unit reference should be considered as a specific unit type. Should this rule of thumb apply to 40K also?

So for example, a Broodlord gives a bonus to 'Genestealer units' nearby. A Broodlord has the GENESTEALER keyword, so does he receive his own Brood Telepathy bonus or does it only apply specifically to Genestealers?

Similarly, does Old One Eye benefit from his own +1 to hit for having the CARNIFEX keyword, even though he isn't a 'Carnifex unit'?
and got back:

quote:

You’ve reached the rules mailbox for Games Workshop - thanks for your email!

We’re not able to respond to each email individually, but we read every one and feed all comments back into making Warhammer and Warhammer 40,000 even better.

Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Which neighborhood of Miami? I'm up in West Palm Beach.

Kendall. Still researching area to see what my options are for gaming.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Sex Cannon posted:

So I'm the guy who had no fun against this list. Beer4TheBeerGod is a super nice dude and I, for one, am totally ok with him taking this list. I played with what I wanted to play with and so did he. Some things:

1. Will I play this list again? Yes, though I'll specifically tailor to it. I feel a scout sentinel screen could have stopped his 30 ork shoota boyz in their tracks and given me more breathing room. I also feel my deployment could have been smarter.

2. I'm re-learning how to play IG in 40k. I wasn't particularly good at it in 7th, and, big surprise, I'm not good at it in 8th so far, either. I also don't have the best units available to IG. You can bet your butt that I'll get them, but I prefer to play with fully-painted models only, and it will be a long time before I can get them done.

3. I definitely look forward to playing with Beer4TheBeerGod again. He let me borrow one of those child gate things so I can more easily integrate MY GIRLFRIEND's cat and my cats without them killing each other. He's a true broski.

Everyone go listen to my loving podcast.

:orks::hf::commissar:

I will say I have never been more motivated to pain than after playing your army. I genuinely feel bad that you end up facing a partially painted horde. On the plus side I think I've locked down a good approach for painting yellow for my Marines Malevolent so I should be able to get a Bigmar force running quickly.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Am I the only one that has this thing? The Particle Beamer option now is completely pointless.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Surprise T Rex posted:

So now that turn 2 assault seems to be a massive thing, how do Tau play to counter that?

Another question: I haven't played a game in a decade or so, but I dug out an old unassembled Tau Battleforce from like 4th or 5th edition, and I'm wondering what else I should be looking at grabbing next? If people generally just go straight for the assault almost instantly, I'm hesitant to go for too many standard fire warriors.

The stuff I have so far:
- Devilfish
- 3x XV25 Stealth Suits
- 12x Kroot Carnivore
- 12x Fire Warrior

My first few games I used screens of Kroot to make sure the enemy was only charging stuff that could hit back. And was cheap enough it didn't matter if they fell back. It also made sure he couldn't deepstrike in too close to my long-range stuff. If you can afford the fast attack slot Kroot hounds are also a cheap screening unit that can countercharge.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

panascope posted:

Am I the only one that has this thing? The Particle Beamer option now is completely pointless.

The beamer is 3 points cheaper than the Tesla cannons. Not worth it, but if you needed to desperately save 6 points in your army, there you go

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LingcodKilla posted:

It's garbage from my trash pile. 5th ed starter.

Just making a primaris joke, friend. Model looks good.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Surprise T Rex posted:

The stuff I have so far:
- Devilfish
- 3x XV25 Stealth Suits
- 12x Kroot Carnivore
- 12x Fire Warrior

Gonna quote a PM I sent on this topic:

The get started set and pathfinder set are a really good start. I would say get one of the named commanders, at least one broadside, and something like a riptide or ghostkeel on the cheap. Or alternatively a couple of piranha for fast fusion guns. 

Breachers weapons are kinda weak comparatively to the strike team, the range is too short and they will likely die faster than they will kill anything. 

Scooping up some cheap rear end drones is also a good idea too since they can either be ablative wounds for almost everything Tau, be a portable 5++, marker lights, missiles, or guns. 

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

panascope posted:

No. :getin:

TheChirurgeon posted:

The beamer is 3 points cheaper than the Tesla cannons. Not worth it, but if you needed to desperately save 6 points in your army, there you go

Yes.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

FiestaNinja posted:

Would acetone do something about the greenstuff? I know it wears down plastic if you have it in there long enough.

:frogsiren:

Do not put plastic in acetone. 'long enough' to start softening detail is measured in seconds. I haven't tested it, specifically, but I've dunked bases in acetone when they wouldn't come off and they get gummy in minutes.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Been painting a lot of Shadow War terrain over the last couple weeks (photos to come), but in the meantime, I managed to finish my new Kharn:

Old Kharn for comparison. If you want this model, PM me. You can have him for the cost of shipping if you live in the US.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

TheChirurgeon posted:

Been painting a lot of Shadow War terrain over the last couple weeks (photos to come), but in the meantime, I managed to finish my new Kharn:

I love that OG Kharn is such a good model that about all the sculptor could really do was to make the new one more dynamic.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Soldier o Fortune posted:

Kendall. Still researching area to see what my options are for gaming.

That's a bit further south than I'm familiar with, but I think most people down there play at the Silver Dragon Tavern. I've never been myself but it sounds interesting! Join the Paradox 40k (and Paradox 30k if you're into that) groups on Facebook, that's what most people seem to use to organize games down there.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/07/05/your-codex-is-coming-july-5gw-homepage-post-1/

Ten codices by year's end, starting with Space Marines, followed by Grey Knights, Chaos Space Marines and Death Guard

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

ElNarez posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/07/05/your-codex-is-coming-july-5gw-homepage-post-1/

Ten codices by year's end, starting with Space Marines, followed by Grey Knights, Chaos Space Marines and Death Guard

gently caress yeah. Here's hoping we get Legion rules again this year.
e: gently caress yeah, they're specifically mentioned as being in the new codex on the preview image. Get HYPE

berzerkmonkey posted:

I love that OG Kharn is such a good model that about all the sculptor could really do was to make the new one more dynamic.

Yeah I love the old model, but he's too small and his proportions are doofy as hell.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jul 5, 2017

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

ElNarez posted:

"Hey - remember the $25 you just dropped for that Index?"

I'm disappointed by this - I was hoping not to devolve back into the 100 Codex problem 40K had in 7th. At least AoS provides the Warscrolls online for free, so you can keep up with other armies. 40K continues to make this process a complete pain in the rear end.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

ElNarez posted:

Space Marines by the end of the month, eh? The cover of the new books looks pretty sweet.

Now the question is if my Blood Angels will be in there. They're breaking Grey Knights into their own book but they also have very little overlap with other Space Marines.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

berzerkmonkey posted:

I'm disappointed by this - I was hoping not to devolve back into the 100 Codex problem 40K had in 7th. At least AoS provides the Warscrolls online for free, so you can keep up with other armies. 40K continues to make this process a complete pain in the rear end.

Yeah, but the warscrolls don't have points in them so they are basically useless IIRC.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Pendent posted:

Space Marines by the end of the month, eh? The cover of the new books looks pretty sweet.

Now the question is if my Blood Angels will be in there. They're breaking Grey Knights into their own book but they also have very little overlap with other Space Marines.

They did an FAQ for it as well, Blood Angels are getting their own book.
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/07/05/codexes-your-questions-answered-july-5gw-homepage-post-2/

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Pendent posted:

From the FAQ

quote:

I just bought Index: Imperium 1 – what should I do with it?
You’ll want to keep hold of your index. Codex: Space Marines doesn’t include rules for playing with Blood Angels, Dark Angels, Space Wolves, Deathwatch or Grey Knights armies, so you’ll still need Index: Imperium 1 to play with those. You’ll also need it for using some of the more unusual models such as the 30th Anniversary Space Marine, the Legion of the Damned and the Terminus Ultra Land Raider.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
God dammit. I'm never getting loving Stormtalons am I?

Soggy Chips
Sep 26, 2006

Fear is the mind killer
Going to say it's implied there is no separate Primaris Codex, so all the new models and rules for the new characters/transport will be out soon.
Need more toys for my bigmars

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

berzerkmonkey posted:

It's literally the exact same thing it was before. :psyduck:

I didn't see the last Space Marines codex, how did Chapter Tactics work? For example, what would I have been able to do with my Howling Griffons?

Zuul the Cat fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jul 5, 2017

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

Needing two books to play one army already.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
loving grey knights pushing in front of glorious papa nurgle's minions. :argh:

I'm very surprised there's not separate primaries codex though, I would have bet could that GW would push them as a different line.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
So the Legion of the Damned won't be in the SM codex this time. Seems weird since they get a call out that they have been much more active lately in the rulebook.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Soggy Chips posted:

Going to say it's implied there is no separate Primaris Codex, so all the new models and rules for the new characters/transport will be out soon.
Need more toys for my bigmars

It's not just implied--the Primaris Librarian rules sheet leaked and it mentions that you should reference Codex: Space Marines for the full rules.

Zuul the Cat posted:

It's literally the exact same thing it was before. :psyduck:

They never said Codexes wouldn't come back, and in fact were very clear that they would.

Not so sure about this "Death Guard separate codex" deal though--seems like it's going to force you to own two books

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Pidgin Englishman posted:

I'm very surprised there's not separate primaries codex though, I would have bet could that GW would push them as a different line.

If they really want to push bigmars the best way is to put them in every marine codex. They'll start with the vanilla stuff available to basically everyone like Apothecaries, Librarians and grav tanks, before eventually moving onto updating old character models like BigDante or BigAzrael.