Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I have a hotas a rift and a buttkicker sat in my PC gaming throne and I look like a loving tool when I play, but I am OK with this, I have come to terms with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Just lmao if you aren't using an actual replica of a F-16 flight controls in a full motion cage.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Heaps of Sheeps posted:

Just lmao if you aren't using an actual replica of a F-16 flight controls in a full motion cage.

I actually go to space irl every time

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Viper4 is hot fat garbage.

Wrong

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

OxMan posted:

I have a HOTAS that i got for warthunder and i still fly controller, devs did a good job on that. Also I've now got mostly B and A rank stuff on my viper 3 but haven't found a station that sells anything better. Viper 4 or this DBS?

DBS maneuvers better which is good for not getting hit it's also a bit faster for running away and runs cooler so you get noticed less. Viper 4 can fit a larger shield and has more internal slots, but less utility slots which are the ones you need for combat. Weapons are same class on both, but on the viper 4 are 2 under 2 over so you can struggle to bring everything to bear at once, the DBS has them all center mounted so they can hit above and below the midline.

I'm biased though so you should try both, either will bring in enough bounties to buy the other and the modules are mostly transferable.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
The Viper is a fighter jet and the DBS is an attack helicopter. Choose based on which one sounds cooler to you.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

peter gabriel posted:

I have a hotas a rift and a buttkicker sat in my PC gaming throne and I look like a loving tool when I play, but I am OK with this, I have come to terms with it.

Hey nerd do you have to use Voicemeeter to get your setup working properly? I just got my buttkicker in the mail yesterday and am anxious to try it out!

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Morningwoodpecker posted:

DBS maneuvers better which is good for not getting hit it's also a bit faster for running away and runs cooler so you get noticed less. Viper 4 can fit a larger shield and has more internal slots, but less utility slots which are the ones you need for combat. Weapons are same class on both, but on the viper 4 are 2 under 2 over so you can struggle to bring everything to bear at once, the DBS has them all center mounted so they can hit above and below the midline.

I'm biased though so you should try both, either will bring in enough bounties to buy the other and the modules are mostly transferable.

I think ill try tracking down a DBS then, I'm getting to the point where gimballed stuff is a handicap damagewise but I'm still at the mostly harmless bounty line so I am assuming enemies get a lot faster and more maneuverable.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I've never heard of a buttkicker and thought you guys were talking about some obscure meme thing or something. I just looked it up.

What the hell, why? I'm all for immersion and all but drat.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Gripping your throttle sticks and vibrating your butts. That's lines crossed, man.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Man servers are making GBS threads the bed today. Takes 2 minutes to jump between systems and it keeps failing to get mission board data.

Best £1 I spent.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

John F Bennett posted:

I've never heard of a buttkicker and thought you guys were talking about some obscure meme thing or something. I just looked it up.

You're talking about nerds that spend 1000+ on a PC, 500-800 on a VR set, and a 100+ on various accessories. A subwoofer that attaches to a chair is fairly minor.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

John F Bennett posted:

The thing is I went into buying one expecting to think it was a lovely gimmick, but I am 100% sold on them now, I properly love the thing

Mike the TV posted:

Hey nerd do you have to use Voicemeeter to get your setup working properly? I just got my buttkicker in the mail yesterday and am anxious to try it out!

No I just plugged the thing in and away I went, there are pieces of software for it but I'm not that bothered to try them. As long as my booty shakes I'm good

I can't begin to tell you how cool it is in Project Cars, it fills in all the feeling from the road, the dips and bumps and kerbs that the wheel misses, really try that if you have it

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 4, 2017

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

peter gabriel posted:

The thing is I went into buying one expecting to think it was a lovely gimmick, but I am 100% sold on them now, I properly love the thing

No I just plugged the thing in and away I went, there are pieces of software for it but I'm not that bothered to try them. As long as my booty shakes I'm good

I can't begin to tell you how cool it is in Project Cars, it fills in all the feeling from the road, the dips and bumps and kerbs that the wheel misses, really try that if you have it

what happens if you get hit by a swarm of anime missiles in ED

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
The buttkicker is as vital to me using my computer as a keyboard and mouse is and I really mean that. The thing owns, music, games, movies. It's a silent subwoofer.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

OxMan posted:

I think ill try tracking down a DBS then, I'm getting to the point where gimballed stuff is a handicap damagewise but I'm still at the mostly harmless bounty line so I am assuming enemies get a lot faster and more maneuverable.

The DBS is nice with fixed lasers and gimballed multi-cannon/cannon that way you can hit with everything at once, the bad guys will scale with your rank but are only really dangerous in a wing.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Viper4 is hot fat garbage.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Daztek posted:

what happens if you get hit by a swarm of anime missiles in ED

Same as without one, pants poo poo

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
I'm almost there guys! Couple more questions though. On the HUD mini map I see squares and triangles and they are different colours. What do these all mean?!

Also, I went to some combat zone that I found in navigation, and it just seemed like a bunch of federal ships shooting at each other, what's up with that?

I've been hunting for bounties at nav points, but sometimes it seems a bit slow between targets, is there any better way to hunt down criminals? Also, is it safe to pick up their loot? I killed a big bounty with the help of the space police and I didn't want to risk the reward I already had by picking up the stuff from the destroyed ship in case it was flagged as stolen or something?

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Dravs posted:

I'm almost there guys! Couple more questions though. On the HUD mini map I see squares and triangles and they are different colours. What do these all mean?!

Solid Squares are NPC ships
Solid Triangles are NPC ships with hardpoints deployed
Hollow Squares are human players
Hollow Triangles are human players with hardpoints deployed

The colours are as follows:

Yellow - Standard
Red - Hostile
Red (Flashing) - Firing at you
Green - Belong to faction you are friendly/allied with (or on same side in a conflict zone)

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

Dravs posted:

Also, I went to some combat zone that I found in navigation, and it just seemed like a bunch of federal ships shooting at each other, what's up with that?

Combat Zones are where two minor factions fight it out. You can choose a side (in your right hand system menu panel, under "functions") and then shoot it out. Please note that the ships you find there are VERY tough. Tougher than just about anything else, except maybe cops. They have armor, and good weapons and if a wing of them decides to jump you, you can get wasted real quick and easy. If you're still new to the game, I'd suggest staying out of them and stick to bounty hunting in RESes.

You can make a good amount of money in a combat zone if you take on a bunch of "Massacre" missions from the local job boards. These require you to go to a combat zone, and blow up the appropriate faction ships. The ones for lots of ships can pay out lots of credits. Like tens of millions. If you swap from Open to Solo you'll see different boards at the same place, so you can quickly cycle through them and get more of the massacre missions. This is called "Board Scumming". It's boring but it lets you stack missions.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

A little confused about the community goals. There was an Eravate bounty one that stated bounties from the system count towards the goal. Got bounties with targets outside eravate, turned them in, got no credit. Do the bounty targets have to be inside the system too?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

John F Bennett posted:

When putting your PS4 in rest mode, the game glitches out when going out of rest while the game was still on. The time skips forward making stations and planets crash into you.

Is there a video yet of someone getting the rover, parking it on a high point on a moon facing the planet it's orbiting, then going into sleep mode for a few hours? This is important.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Suspend handling is definitely busted a little bit. Once I re-entered the game after having left it suspended on the main menu only to find it was running faster than real time- ship maneuvers and animations happened more quickly than they were supposed to and then corrected back after a moment.

Also it thinks I've spent 48 hours playing over the past 5 days. I'm not that far gone, I swear.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

OxMan posted:

A little confused about the community goals. There was an Eravate bounty one that stated bounties from the system count towards the goal. Got bounties with targets outside eravate, turned them in, got no credit. Do the bounty targets have to be inside the system too?

First, you sign up for the community goal. Then you fly to the station and dock(so that if you die you respawn there) and then you bounty hunt in nearby RES/Nav Beacons, and THEN you return to the station where the community goal is located and turn in your bounties.

AN DEN AN DEN AN DEN AN DEN

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Libluini posted:

Does this mean I will blow peoples mind when I confess that I'm using controller, joystick and keyboard + mouse? Sometimes even multiple things mixed?

Here's a pic of my setup, it's pretty pro

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I've been trying to rank up for the Federation because I want to visit Sol someday, but every special naval mission I've found so far is a shooting mission. And I don't have any combat capabilities.

Will I find other kinds of missions if I shop around a bit in factions that are cordial to me?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

OxMan posted:

For that particular CG the bounties had to come from the faction Adle's Armada.

Don't do that one, do one of the other two identical ones.

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

Free Military Flightsuits for your holo-me available at https://www.frontierstore.net/usd/game-extras/military-flight-suit-pack.html

Gotta own Horizons.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I have spent an absolute ton of hours the last several days having an accidental adventure. After logging in at Lave to cash in babby's first CG reward I decided to travel at least 150 LY more to get an invite from my first engineer. Thought maybe a nebula, Coal Sack looked close but was still 500 LY. Then noticed a goonmate was down in the Pleiades, about a similar distance. Figured why not, that's far enough and I'll go look for aliens.

It was 40 jumps in a Sidewinder, which I kept cooking on stars along the way because it can't jump more than two systems without a top-up. Utter madness. Had to do my first planet landing 12 jumps into the trip because I was at 50% health in most systems. Down in Merope I bought a Hauler so I can move around easier (omg big fuel tank and scoop thank you Jesus) and carry an SRV.

Haven't even seen any alien stuff yet, because rather than just look up the co-ordindates I have been flying around finding listening stations, finding clues in the messages, and basically Scooby Dooing around the region seeing how much I can find organically. And you know what? It loving owns. I've found two audio logs on mysterious giant space installations, then afterwards getting jumped by some spec ops pilots for snooping (got sploded the first time). Got a dead end in one system and just landed on a really far out planet and spent 90 minutes driving down into a massive crater with my '80s playlist on Spotify as my in car stereo, and then I flew over to my first black hole at Maia B and spent like 20 minutes just exploring the lensing effect and squealing over the mic to my mate about how balls trippy it is.

I've got 1.5 mill in the bank, still only in my second ship, and I've essentially gone as far towards anti-grinding as it's possible to go in this game, just pootling about gazing at stars and taking things easy. And I am having the best loving time of my life.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

My friend, you are Doing It Right.

I've been trying to get back to that kinda playing so I've been giving myself restrictions and goals. I have a "hardcore" cobra 3 that I fly for that stuff. It's really poo poo right now because I'm restricting my bank access until I achieve certain goals. My current job is to find a crashed escape pod on this remote ice moon, at which point I'll "receive" 150K and one rank 2 roll from Farseer.

Meanwhile I can't rebuy that ship - if it dies, I'm Dead. And I can't dock at a station in a new system without at least 30K worth of something to sell - bounties, trade, salvage, explo data.

It's fun as hell. A bit silly but it's something to do with my big ol money piles and the restrictions have made stuff more tense.

Bad Llama
Jan 2, 2007
pwnerer
Are there any systems in this game that have a higher player count than others? Faction wars happening? Actual traffic at the star ports? That sort of thing?

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Community goal systems are a hub for player activity.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

There's a free spacesuit pack on the Frontier store now.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Bad Llama posted:

Actual traffic at the star ports? That sort of thing?

The game instances players away from each other so you will never get a traffic jam at a station.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Speaking of traffic jams at stations, check out these tourists I saw having a really bad day. https://twitter.com/hongkonghermit/status/882640555485806592

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Parkingtigers posted:

Speaking of traffic jams at stations, check out these tourists I saw having a really bad day. https://twitter.com/hongkonghermit/status/882640555485806592

That's the exact reason I ditched my Beluga, I really love it and the thought of driving a big dumb space bus but I died like three times in the slot, apparently the fins tuck in or something and there is a knack to it but gently caress that

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Skimmers are spawning in mid air and dropping on people landing on planets, heads up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pG8ZkVy3378

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Skimmers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Yeah they are like little patrol droids that patrol around planetary bases etc and shoot you and poo poo

• Locked thread