Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

turtlecrunch posted:

Also
"Helix officials have been unwilling to reveal whether or not there were additional escapees or items taken from the facility, but sources have indicated that it is likely that there were further security breaches in addition to Ogundimu."

Reaper broke Hammond out of evil space ape jail confirmed :smug:

Bet you the next few heroes are all gonna be Talon-affiliated 'cause right now there's really only a few of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Ah man, I'm actually kinda down for that though.

Really, I just want to know more about the Vishkar.
Also to get more story Arcade modes.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Talon PvE mode with Reaper, Widowmaker, Sombra and Doomfist.

sombra is the healer

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

I just assumed the torbs and zaryas of the world massacred all the shambali and Zen is the last of his kind but doesn't resent his friends for making him an orphan of his people.

The Pharah comic proves that the omnics are still prone to going kill crazy if an Omnium activates and thus all omnics should be treated with suspicion and quarantined for the safety of humanity :colbert:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Bolow posted:

The Pharah comic proves that the omnics are still prone to going kill crazy if an Omnium activates and thus all omnics should be treated with suspicion and quarantined for the safety of humanity :colbert:

Of course Widowmaker's existence proves that you can't trust that anyone you know and love isn't going to murder you in your sleep because John Talon of Talon Inc. decided he wants to make your ex-wife purple to fulfill his corruption fetish turn them into a remorseless killing machine.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Surprise the loot box update wasn't this week. It not like they ever change anything that on PTR before it goes live.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
The lootbox changes are paired with the highlight system changes which were still crashing frequently for people last I checked.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mega Comrade posted:

Christ hog is terrible now.

I like the feeling of the increased rate of fire but it's noticably, frustratingly anemic damagewise and the massive burst damage thing has been like one of the main pillars of his role. You lumber up, delete something, then huff paint.

Now? You're basically forced to play like a bad reaper.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
https://i.4cdn.org/vg/1499205584887.webm

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Maybe it's just my browser but I can't unmute/hear the sound on that version
I can on the original tweet though (you have to unmute it by clicking the speaker icon)
https://twitter.com/bepsiyiffer69/status/882082135795834880

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

FAUXTON posted:

I like the feeling of the increased rate of fire but it's noticably, frustratingly anemic damagewise and the massive burst damage thing has been like one of the main pillars of his role. You lumber up, delete something, then huff paint.

Now? You're basically forced to play like a bad reaper.

Roadhog's job is to put people out of position, and if the Tryhard thread is any indicator, being out of position is both instant death and your fault. Basically, Roadhog now requires teamwork as opposed to being a one-shoter, and even now, you can grab non-full health people trying to run away and finish them off. No other tank does that.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Takoluka posted:

Roadhog's job is to put people out of position, and if the Tryhard thread is any indicator, being out of position is both instant death and your fault. Basically, Roadhog now requires teamwork as opposed to being a one-shoter, and even now, you can grab non-full health people trying to run away and finish them off. No other tank does that.
Well, there's Orisa. I played with an Orisa last week who was just absolutely wrecking the enemy team with pulls, and not just off of cliffs, but we'll timed ones that kept them from escaping, or just generally messed up their positioning.

If the goal is to jostle people around and mess with their plans, Orisa's​ better for that than Hog.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Takoluka posted:

Roadhog's job was actually to punish people already out of position, not to pull them out of it in the first place. Unlike slow-paced MOBAs where being moved ten feet is a huge deal in Overwatch it isn't nearly that much of a benefit when so many of the characters you'd want to hook and punish are actually not really people you want in your face unless you can put them out of commission, with reactive abilities that will get them clear of danger or make them a threat once they're up close and in your face. "Roadhog requires teamwork" is a cop-out, every bad character "requires teamwork" in the sense that you have to play around their decision to play a character currently sitting at something like a 42% winrate down from 50% or so. And while you're messing around with your hook every 8 seconds and a gun that's only good now for finishing off already wounded targets you provide no meaningful tanking, you have a mediocre ult, and you're still a 600 hitpoint ult battery that everyone can freely farm off of.

Also "you can kill injured enemies trying to run away and finish them off" is something that's vastly better served by D.Va and Winston, mobile dive tanks who have the benefit of actually being able to do some tanking in addition to having kits suitable for finishing off injured stragglers and who bring a lot more to the table than Roadhog currently does, which is why it's not really surprising that since one of the more effective characters you could play against dive comps to punish them has now been rendered generally useless that dive has become that much more entrenched as the go-to strategy. Reaper's buff doesn't mean diddly since he still gets punked by most every other DPS and D.Va shuts down his new form of self-sustain.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Takoluka posted:

Even the tryhard thread thinks hog is a pile of poo poo right now though.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I know as Reaper I used to have to fear the Hogs that were like John Popper with the hook. Now more often than not I get reeled in, chipped a bit with their shotty, and leap around charging mad ult and either kill them or wraith away up 50% of the way to the ol' "Die! X3"

I basically feel like most of the time I no longer have to fear/respect the hook or the Hog in general.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

All they got left are the environmental kills on like Nepal sanctum and Illios well, and that's weak stew.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I know as Reaper I used to have to fear the Hogs that were like John Popper with the hook. Now more often than not I get reeled in, chipped a bit with their shotty, and leap around charging mad ult and either kill them or wraith away up 50% of the way to the ol' "Die! X3"

I basically feel like most of the time I no longer have to fear/respect the hook or the Hog in general.

Playing Reaper since the update I think I've walked away from a dead 'Hog at least 75% of the times I've been hooked.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you can get a 5th of your health back every time you shoot roadhog as reaper now so it's really hard to actually win that fight as hog, even if you land the hook

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think the nerf actually made Roadhog more reliant on his hook, not less. Missing hook kills due to bullet spread variance or your target being healed for 15 sucks, but you can still get kills with it some of the time if your team helps. More significant is how bad his gun is between hooks, it's basically Torb's m2.

I'd note he has the lowest winrate at GM of any character right now, and he's mostly competing with Sombra for the bottom spot at other skill levels.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
He was too good for this world, but at least he's with junkrat now (in the trash tier)

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
What was even screwed up about Roadhog to begin with that they felt the need to make that change? The only complaints I ever heard from most people who knew what they were doing even at high levels of play were the old bullshit getting hooked through walls and whatnot. He already wasn't exactly one of the most played "tanks" to begin with.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it seems like they changed him because people whined about him a lot. who knows what they're actually thinking on this tho

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I don't know if this would/should come into their consideration, but he was really unbalanced in elimination modes. Maybe they have plans to expand that mode out of arcade one day. Right now he seems just a little better than average there.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
They changed him because the hook-shotgun combo doesn't feel good for the victim, as it removes all control from them. If it lands (and it's still quite a forgiving skill to land even after tweaks), then there's nothing you could do about your impending, inevitable death, especially as a squishy character. It feels great for the hog, but it feels stiflingly lovely for the target. As it is they probably actually need to give hog a different set-up to put him in a healthy place for the game.

vvv: Sleep dart doesn't pull you out of position and into guaranteed major damage you can't evade though.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jul 5, 2017

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Sleep dart does that as well. Playing a tank and getting slept for half the game isn't uncommon against good Ana's.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

sleep dart is way more annoying than the hook

being killed never feels good no matter how it happens. I'm gonna have to disagree that it feels worse to die to roadhog than anything else. people just despise getting killed in one hit; it's why nobody likes snipers and it's the same mentality that causes people in battlefield to make no shotgun servers. it doesn't matter whether it's fair or not, which roadhog absolutely was

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I used to think freeze gun was the worst for that "losing control of my dude and inevitably dying" but I guess I got gud because I don't fear Mei near as much on characters in my rotation. Maybe when I'm playing Anna a little since I have no real disengage.

I never minded the hook that much but I am a middling quickplay scrub so people weren't landing them 100 emoji.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 5, 2017

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
The only reason I fear Ana is because the people who are good with her are loving ninjas. I can't play her for poo poo.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I used to think freeze gun was the worst for that "losing control of my dude and inevitably dying" but I guess I got gud because I don't fear Mei near as much on characters in my rotation. Maybe when I'm playing Anna a little since I have no real disengage.

I never minded the hook that much but I am a middling quickplay scrub so people weren't landing them 100 emoji.

As a fellow middling quickplay scrub, even when a really good roadhog showed up it's not that hard to keep your head down when you see the scary fat man. The hook combo never really felt unfair and I miss friend road hog now that he is gone :(

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I always felt like the hook was keeping me honest and making me grow as a skulking flanker.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Ana needs someone to already be out of position, has a long cooldown, can't solo kill most people with a combo, wastes her escape ablility if she wants to try to combo someone in a duel. Oh yeah -- and has to aim her sleep on like a .5 second delay.

She needs a functional team to perform. Sleep isn't much of a problem, but it is great for putting down a diving Winston or maybe you'll get lucky and nab a flanker.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

headcase posted:

Ana needs someone to already be out of position, has a long cooldown, can't solo kill most people with a combo, wastes her escape ablility if she wants to try to combo someone in a duel. Oh yeah -- and has to aim her sleep on like a .5 second delay.

She needs a functional team to perform. Sleep isn't much of a problem, but it is great for putting down a diving Winston or maybe you'll get lucky and nab a flanker.

It triggers an OP voice line when you nab an ulting Pharah.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

turtlecrunch posted:

The lootbox changes are paired with the highlight system changes which were still crashing frequently for people last I checked.

Yeah the video compression feels like baby's first. I'd love them to just launch the bog standard export settings that currently seem to work for everyone and then add the fancy pants stuff afterwards monthly, weekly or whatever. I can imagine the highlight export system taking well over a year to perfect and still accounting for 3/4 of all bug reports, but everything else about it is golden.

VVV: Yes, download the PTR and play with it til your hearts content. My only issue is that I want the snapshots to start a good few seconds BEFORE I press the record button otherwise I'm saving the aftermath of something awesome.

wit fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jul 5, 2017

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

They are adding a video export highlights option?

Nice.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I still have to break out OBS unless the exporter automatically searches the Internet for dubstep and applies it to the highlight.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Donnerberg posted:

I still have to break out OBS unless the exporter automatically searches the Internet for dubstep and applies it to the highlight.

Same but DMX.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Hook avoidance has a massive skill element to it. Being on the receiving end rarely felt lovely to me. Maybe I'm weird, though!

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Toadsmash posted:

Hook avoidance has a massive skill element to it. Being on the receiving end rarely felt lovely to me. Maybe I'm weird, though!

Baiting out the hook until roadhog goes away to let it cooldown is a skill, but its not a massive skill.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Your not weird. I played more Hog than any other hero until mid season 4. Many people were good at avoiding my hooks from Tracer blinking to Mei ice blocking to Genji reflecting and other people out thinking me and juking the hook. Roadhog existed to mess with people doing poo poo they shouldn't be doing.

I had lots of fun with Hog. If I hadn't started playing Winston a few months ago I'd be more annoyed with the changes to Hog than I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
It's perfectly fine to hate things that kill you, but as someone else put it in another thread the result of Roadhog being dumpstered is that it tells everyone that if you hate something like that all you have to do is complain long enough and it'll get removed from the game instead of having to learn how to overcome it through skill and practice. The people who complained about how bullshit and feelbad Hog was aren't now going to be perfectly happy forever with no more complaints, they're going to find something else to bitch about that "feels bad" and this has in fact already happened with Mercy, Pharah, and Winston.