Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

bigfoot again posted:

Are there games that offer a similar experience to MMO dungeons but without all the other stuff? I like small group PvE content but I have no time so I'm always hopelessly behind the gear curve.

Aarklash Legacy is a singleplayer, isometric, real time with pause RPG with WoW combat and skillshots, it's on sale for $1.99 and it's a Good Game if that sounds appealing to you. Party of 4, 8 characters, each with a unique skill tree. You need to be on-point with moving people out of ground effects and avoiding gimmicks while managing the tank's threat, the healer's heals (which are also skillshots), CC and interrupt rotations, etc. If you ever did high level raiding in a WoW-ish MMO you'd probably appreciate the encounter design even though it's mostly straight up combat without many gimmicky mechanics. My biggest complaint is that the loot system is boring - you never get new weapons or armor, just new jewelry.

It's pretty hard, too.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jul 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

Final Fantasy XII!

Yeah, this.

There's also a cute little game on Steam called "it's a wipe!" That simulates running a raiding guild, down to the interplayer drama and jealousy over loot.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
Put this in the Steam Sale Thread and didn't find much, so I thought I'd try here.

Is there anything on PC I can get that would be similar to the old Might and Magic games (specifically IV-V style) with the block style movement and turn based combat. I emphatically do not want something that is Legend of Grimrock / Eye of the Beholder style real time combat. I'm looking for pure turn based. I'd also prefer not drawing manual maps.

I tried Elminage Gothic for a bit which is sort of the style I want but not actually very good. I played through Might and Magic X twice already and liked it. I know there is a bunch of portable stuff, but I don't want to play on a portable.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Star Crawlers is pretty solid.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Substandard posted:

Put this in the Steam Sale Thread and didn't find much, so I thought I'd try here.

Is there anything on PC I can get that would be similar to the old Might and Magic games (specifically IV-V style) with the block style movement and turn based combat. I emphatically do not want something that is Legend of Grimrock / Eye of the Beholder style real time combat. I'm looking for pure turn based. I'd also prefer not drawing manual maps.

I tried Elminage Gothic for a bit which is sort of the style I want but not actually very good. I played through Might and Magic X twice already and liked it. I know there is a bunch of portable stuff, but I don't want to play on a portable.

Does anyone have any recommendations?
Lords of Xulima is good. Swords and Sorcery Underworld is uglier and less polished but there's a solid M&M-style game underneath and it's overall by far the closest to that style. Frayed Knights is meant to be decent but I couldn't deal with the lovely humour. And, uh, Grimoire is out soon and will probably be legitimately good albeit batshit insane

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jul 4, 2017

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

Aarklash Legacy is a singleplayer, isometric, real time with pause RPG with WoW combat and skillshots, it's on sale for $1.99 and it's a Good Game if that sounds appealing to you. Party of 4, 8 characters, each with a unique skill tree. You need to be on-point with moving people out of ground effects and avoiding gimmicks while managing the tank's threat, the healer's heals (which are also skillshots), CC and interrupt rotations, etc. If you ever did high level raiding in a WoW-ish MMO you'd probably appreciate the encounter design even though it's mostly straight up combat without many gimmicky mechanics. My biggest complaint is that the loot system is boring - you never get new weapons or armor, just new jewelry.

It's pretty hard, too.

This looks great and I'll try it out - is there anything multiplayer just without the grinding for gear?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Neverwinter Nights 1/2 modules might be your best bet if you haven't plundered that particular rabbit hole before. Old but insane amounts of content cheap as hell

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
So something I've been wondering for a while: are there any good mostly-realistic driving/racing games on PC? The main things I'm interested in a a relatively realistic driving model (I don't mind if it's got a bit of simplification or if the level of realism is configurable - I just don't really want an arcade racer), and some kind of career mode that lets me collect/customize cars. From what I've read the Forza series is basically the game I want, but unfortunately I don't have an Xbone (hence my asking if there's anything on PC - I know about the Forza Horizons series but from what I can tell that's more arcade-y).

The closest thing I've found is Grid Autosport, but while that does have a big variety in cars and realistic driving physics, it doesn't really have much in the way of customization or collecting (the career mode basically just assigns you a car for each race, and advancing just unlocks more tracks).

It doesn't have to be brand new, but something relatively modern would be preferable.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Dirt Rally.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Forza 6 and Forza Horizon 3 are on Windows 10. Just buy them digitally and you get both versions.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Keeshhound posted:

Star Crawlers is pretty solid.

Agreed. I played it a lot pre-release and in the very last pre-release build I still had some major complaints about it, but I just went back to it post-release and they fixed them. It's a solid first person dungeon crawl and my personal favorite of the contemporary ones, but it's more Wizardry than Might and Magic (Might & Magic X is great too)

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Lords of Xulima is good. Swords and Sorcery Underworld is uglier and less polished but there's a solid M&M-style game underneath and it's overall by far the closest to that style. Frayed Knights is meant to be decent but I couldn't deal with the lovely humour. And, uh, Grimoire is out soon and will probably be legitimately good albeit batshit insane

Thanks! I'd never heard of most of these and it's not easy to find old school turn based dungeon crawlers.. I've taken a look at Xulima before, but it's some weird combination of 3/4 isometric and first person and I wasn't sure how it would translate.. It's like $5 on amazon for the deluxe edition, but it's not a steam key... Decisions, decisions... The reviews look solid so I'll definitely try it out.. I just know in my heart I want the steam version for twice as much because i have problems.

I'm definitely going to pick up Swords and Sorcery Underworld and apparently I already own Frayed Knights from some bundle so I'll check that one out as well.

Substandard fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 4, 2017

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Lords of Xulima is a great game but it's the kind of game you need advance knowledge of to thrive in. It's really hard and to best prepare yourself you need to do things like ignore all of the herbs on the ground, but mark them on your map so you can come back later when you have a character with max herb knowledge to pick them and get extra herbs. It's the kind of game where poor choices made early on harder difficulties can virtually roadblock you later on and force a restart.

I strongly recommend reading this guy's advice if you're going to play it

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I remembered another!! Paper Sorcerer. It's definitely closer to Wizardry than M&M but it's cool and the aesthetic is neat

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Turtlicious posted:

I'm looking for a turn based game based on Trading, where robbing / murdering is a good alternative (but both are viable), you can build up a massive army (like 5 - 12 different "units" whether they represent an army or whatever,) and it has lots of fiddly systems you can interact with if you want, like Diplomacy, Magic, Upgrading a dude, buying more dudes. That kind of thing. A good / THE ONLY example of this is Uncharted Water New Horizons.

Play a republic in CK2 and pause a lot.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I've recently replayed Baldur's Gate I & II and Planescape: Torment, and played Icewind Dale for the first time. Anything else that scratches the same isometric RPG itch, recent or old? I've already played Pillars of Eternity, Divinity: Original Sin and Tyranny.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

bigfoot again posted:

Are there games that offer a similar experience to MMO dungeons but without all the other stuff? I like small group PvE content but I have no time so I'm always hopelessly behind the gear curve.

I really loved FORCED for the "four player raid encounter" feel it had going on, but last time we tried it had some pretty sketchy netcode which resulted in rubberbanding for the non-host players, even on a LAN connection, which was really unfortunate in a game that required so much precision. If they fixed that it was a really challenging teamwork game.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I loved the humor in Bulletstorm, and the parts of Wolfenstein that are meant to be funny, I also liked Shadow Warrior, and Bad Company 1/2, are there any other first person shooters / super action-y games that have awesome feel good stories like that that make you laugh while you play and have big rear end set pieces and cool things to fight with or against?

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Turtlicious posted:

I loved the humor in Bulletstorm, and the parts of Wolfenstein that are meant to be funny, I also liked Shadow Warrior, and Bad Company 1/2, are there any other first person shooters / super action-y games that have awesome feel good stories like that that make you laugh while you play and have big rear end set pieces and cool things to fight with or against?

DOOM 2016 is excellent, though the humor is more subdued. The Borderlands series' humor is much more in line with the rest of the ones you mentioned, though not as good a shooter as DOOM.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Looking for some last minute RPG/Dungeon Crawler recommendations before the sale ends.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

Saints Row 4 is not an FPS, but it is super actiony, funny, and fun. It's all about having an over the top good time.

edit: Aside from the Full Spectrum Warrior series, have there been any worthy platoon-size military games? I like Steel Division, but its AO is bigger that I can manage.

Caufman fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jul 5, 2017

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Turtlicious posted:

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger has great story elements and action with some humor, and Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon for goofy humor and retro action. Both are great, but not really long.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
The Serious Sam games are very serious FPS

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Can anyone recommend me some non violent / peaceful games for the PS4? Apart from Journey and Minecraft.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Did you not like those two games? I think most peaceful games, like Abzu, will wind up pretty similar to one or the other.

e: The Witness is on PS4, now that I look. It's a first-person puzzle game like Myst, and it's excellent.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
It's not that, it's that it's for my GF (not me), she played Journey on my PS3 already (loved it) and has no interest in Minecraft.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Abzu is supposed to be a lot like Journey, but underwater, so give it a look.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

I've recently replayed Baldur's Gate I & II and Planescape: Torment, and played Icewind Dale for the first time. Anything else that scratches the same isometric RPG itch, recent or old? I've already played Pillars of Eternity, Divinity: Original Sin and Tyranny.

The Shadowrun games (turn/based, but still much in the same vein). There are 3 seperate games, no point in playing in release order. Dragonfall and Hong Kong are generally considered the best.

If you like those and still need more, there's Wasteland 2.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

metasynthetic posted:

Can anyone recommend me some non violent / peaceful games for the PS4? Apart from Journey and Minecraft.

The Witness.

The Talos Principle is also excellent but I prefer The Witness.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
I'm looking for something to coop with my daughter that I can get through PSN. We've played BroForce and Nuclear Throne that we both liked - so something like that that's easy to drop in. She's nine though, so NT was a little too tough for her. Any recommendations?

tastychicken
Jul 17, 2007
Title text goes here

HairyManling posted:

I'm looking for something to coop with my daughter that I can get through PSN. We've played BroForce and Nuclear Throne that we both liked - so something like that that's easy to drop in. She's nine though, so NT was a little too tough for her. Any recommendations?

What about the Trine Trilogy? It's pretty, and challenging. Like playing a Bob Ross painting.

tastychicken fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 5, 2017

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

HairyManling posted:

tastychicken posted:

What about the Trine Trilogy? It's pretty, and challenging. Like playing a Bob Ross painting.

Let me know if you need that, Hairy.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

HairyManling posted:

I'm not familiar with PSN, but is Overcooked available for it? It's fast-paced action without violence, great for all ages.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

HairyManling posted:

^^Overcooked and also:

Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris, Rocket League, Earth Defense Force, Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

HairyManling posted:

I'm looking for something to coop

It's always Overcooked

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

HairyManling posted:

Keep talking and nobody explodes? Very fun but kinda weird. One of you has a physical manual with bomb defusal instructions and the other has to describe the bomb and cut the red wire. Or is the blue wire?
Portal 2 has a good multiplayer co-op campaign, not the longest, but fun puzzles.
Don't starve together - co-op survival/crafting game.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Are there any good asynchronous co-op games, I'm thinking stuff like parts of Perfect Dark Zero's co-op where you play as two completely people doing completely different stuff instead of just two identical people trying to accomplish identical objectives. Satellite Reign was pretty good for this but I'm wondering if there are any others.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Geektox posted:

Are there any good asynchronous co-op games, I'm thinking stuff like parts of Perfect Dark Zero's co-op where you play as two completely people doing completely different stuff instead of just two identical people trying to accomplish identical objectives. Satellite Reign was pretty good for this but I'm wondering if there are any others.

Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes, kind of
EDF 4.1 has classes that play fairly differently from each other, but you're still all shooting at giant bugs and giant robots and such

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jul 8, 2017

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
How was Clandestine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Really Pants posted:

Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes, kind of
EDF 4.1 has classes that play fairly differently from each other, but you're still all shooting at giant bugs and giant robots and such

We already played a lot of Keep Talking and it's a good rec! I wish they'd come out with some more manuals because we've gotten to the point where we can kinda just guess at what to do even without the manual.

I love EDF but it's not really what I'm looking for. We also have already deployed many times to save our mother Earth from any alien attack.

I think I want the "different objectives" bit more than the "different people".

Should also mention I'm looking for PC games to be played online as well.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

How was Clandestine?

This looks extremely cheesy and I will try and report back.