Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Onean posted:

It's literally on this page of the thread.

Ah, sorry, somehow I didn't make the connection.

Jun will defeat Tomo by suddenly hugging or something during a fight and throwing her off guard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I believe the manga has been clear the Jun is now stronger than Tomo -- except for a possible mental block that either makes him think he is weaker or makes him unable to win against her. The idea is that he is objectively the strongest between the two of them, but he is unable to realize that fact himself.

Also, Jun truly appears to not be able to view Tomo as a female. This fact is why he needs to die one day in the far future alone and childless.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dan7el posted:

I believe the manga has been clear the Jun is now stronger than Tomo -- except for a possible mental block that either makes him think he is weaker or makes him unable to win against her. The idea is that he is objectively the strongest between the two of them, but he is unable to realize that fact himself.

Also, Jun truly appears to not be able to view Tomo as a female. This fact is why he needs to die one day in the far future alone and childless.

I think Tomo at one point said that Jun is stronger than her now just because of the gender difference. I think that's why Jun defeating Tomo is what needs to happen for the relationship to go forward. It would satisfy the set up of the flashback arc, and it would force Jun to understand that they aren't kids anymore, he's a man and she's a woman.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

When you think about it, it's kind of messed up that Jun needs to establish his physical superiority and dominance over Tomo for a relationship to be possible. Like the idea of dating a girl who is stronger than him is inherently out of the question.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

When you think about it, it's kind of messed up that Jun needs to establish his physical superiority and dominance over Tomo for a relationship to be possible. Like the idea of dating a girl who is stronger than him is inherently out of the question.

japan

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Japanese Chauvinism

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

did I stutter

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Please don't imply that all Japanese people are chauvinists.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Annointed posted:

Japanese Chauvinism

Take that racist poo poo back to GBS

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i wouldn't date a girl who i hadn't won my ds back from either

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ytlaya posted:

Not really. He spent a long time thinking of her as a dude, and he's always been a weenie, it's just that the Tomo Family Training Regimen made him into a really physically strong weenie. He's still a weenie on the inside.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

iirc the position taken is that Jun is default stronger because Penis, but that he can't beat her in proper matches, only unrestrained brawls

it's dumb on many levels

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Annointed posted:

Japanese Chauvinism

:stare:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Rodyle posted:

iirc the position taken is that Jun is default stronger because Penis, but that he can't beat her in proper matches, only unrestrained brawls

it's dumb on many levels

I think it's sort of implied Jun only thinks that because he idolises her.

It's kinda garbage.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Honestly that makes sense? He's stronger than her but she's faster and more technically skilled, so in a match where it's about landing hits for points she wins. In a brawl where he can apply his superior muscle to the problem he's going to have the advantage.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ytlaya posted:

Well, there was that one line in the previous storyline about there being "different kinds of strength", so maybe this is all leading to Jun realizing that he doesn't have to prove his strength by defeating Tomo in a physical match, but rather by developing the strength of character to conquer his own fears and insecurities.

But then again, I'm not the author, so what the hell do I know. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

K Prime posted:

Honestly that makes sense? He's stronger than her but she's faster and more technically skilled, so in a match where it's about landing hits for points she wins. In a brawl where he can apply his superior muscle to the problem he's going to have the advantage.

Yeah, she's been doing martial arts since she was a baby. But they're old enough that he's going to be physically stronger, not to get all :biotruths: about it

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The manga itself is getting :biotruths: about it, is the thing

Like if they just said "she's the skilled one, I just flip out" and left it at that it might not be such a sticking point

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i'm just gonna put one last word out since i will admit that being short about it makes it easy to take a worse way than intended

japanese media frequently (definitely not universally) adheres to some pretty strict gender roles. tomo-chan already breaks a lot of them by presenting tomo as an invincible whirlwind of destruction, but it also - and maybe not even intentionally - reinforces them with the concept that jun cannot seem to acknowledge tomo as a romantic partner until he believes himself stronger than her

it's equivalent to american media being willing to be outrageously violent and throw blood everywhere but deeply, deeply reject sexuality that strays too far away from high school giggling and flirting - i'd even argue that of the two, america's poo poo fucks up way harder and has fewer people attempting to buck the trend that attain any success

i apologize for not putting out a more complete thought and falling back on an easy knee-jerk

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Patware posted:

it's equivalent to american media being willing to be outrageously violent and throw blood everywhere but deeply, deeply reject sexuality that strays too far away from high school giggling and flirting

Oh yeah I remember the huge scandal when a piece of American media showed sex. :monocle:

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Mentat Radnor posted:

Oh yeah I remember the huge scandal when a piece of American media showed sex. :monocle:

Yo I'll hear out arguments about my having a narrow view of popular Japanese media but don't even try telling me US television doesn't trend hilariously puritannical

There's that scene in Hannibal of a murdered couple that almost didn't get allowed in due to bare asses. They filled the buttcracks with blood to hide them and the scene was then okayed

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Buttcracks with Blood would make for a killer band name, imo

Anywho, Jun just needs to beat Tomo in a kissing match, and achieve true alpha status, bro. This is Uncle Shinjobi's romance tip of the week.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

tomo not only derails its own plot, but all discussion.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mentat Radnor posted:

Those fearful nights as cities were destroyed because a toilet appeared on television.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Patware posted:

Yo I'll hear out arguments about my having a narrow view of popular Japanese media but don't even try telling me US television doesn't trend hilariously puritannical

There's that scene in Hannibal of a murdered couple that almost didn't get allowed in due to bare asses. They filled the buttcracks with blood to hide them and the scene was then okayed

At least you admit that it is a narrow view. We can recognize that media trends exist without projecting those trends as character traits onto a whole society. Holding up the stupidity of American broadcast network TV censorship as wholly representative of "American media" is equally narrow.

In this case, the tomo author is under no societal obligation to write Jun as a big baby who can't cope with feelings of emasculation in regards to his badass tomboy crush, so just blaming "Japan" instead of the author here is pretty lame.

In other words,

Guy Goodbody posted:

Please don't imply that all Japanese people are chauvinists.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Jun and Tomo have been dorks when it comes to each other, gender, and anything resembling weakness since more or less the second panel, so if Jun being a dork like his dork best friend Tomo bothers you then that's on you, not the author or whatever view you have of Japan.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I'm mostly just kinda pissed that all that excellent build up lead into more wheel spinning

I mean, it's funny that Jun is crying like a baby because he got pecked on the cheek, but the fact that when actually faced with a hard question his response is to run away back to the status quo means all the build up was almost pointless? Unless this was only stage 1 in Carol's elaborate plans, which I hope it is

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Carol did her best, bless her heart, but she was dealing with Jun.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I still don't know what Carol was planning to get out of this.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Run to Tomo so Tomo can capture him and therefore Misaki can't do anything?

idk carol

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

In the end Carol just wants to have fun.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Isn't the reverse of this situation common in shoujo stuff? Guy pushes down indecisive female protagonist to scare her into realizing her ~feelings~?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I'm mostly just kinda pissed that all that excellent build up lead into more wheel spinning

The entire series is wheel spinning.

Carol will find out Jun pussed out again, take both their faces and mush them into each other.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

The entire series is wheel spinning.

Carol will find out Jun pussed out again, take both their faces and mush them into each other.

I'd be down with the manga being Carol doing her best to get this manga to go somewhere.

Carol cuts the power to a building while Jun and Tomo are stuck in an elevator together.

Carol invites everyone camping and then abandons them in the woods. With side story of her trying to get Mizusu to like her.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

I'd be down with the manga being Carol doing her best to get this manga to go somewhere.

Carol cuts the power to a building while Jun and Tomo are stuck in an elevator together.

Carol invites everyone camping and then abandons them in the woods. With side story of her trying to get Mizusu to like her.

It'll be like Wil E Coyote

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Carol brings them hot air ballooning and then parachutes out.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Tarezax posted:

Isn't the reverse of this situation common in shoujo stuff? Guy pushes down indecisive female protagonist to scare her into realizing her ~feelings~?

I feel like this happens in seinen/harem stuff, so it's more common than you think

Compendium fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jul 6, 2017

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Those fearful nights as cities were destroyed because a toilet appeared on television.

on the upside i'm happy to hear that you got to be on tv

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
P- promise kept?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

So it turns this manga is about DS-kun's harrowing journey from being freshly bought brand new from the store and given to the playful Jun, only for him to be forcibly exchanged into the hands of the tyrant Tomo, subjected to years and years of hard labor and servitude against his will, brought to brink of death many times by her mishandling only to be denied the sweet embrace of death by being repaired each time and forced into labor once more. And the only thing keeping poor DS-kun going is the hope, naive as it may be, that one day the playful boy that had treated him with such care will come back to free him.