Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Chargrilled Face posted:

I think people getting their enjoyment from the sale itself rather than from the games they're going to buy is how 90% of people here have ended up with 500+ games in their backlog that they know they're never going to play. Buying some game that barely interests you / you already own on another platform because it's $1.99 was the "fun" part, playing it never came into the equation. Steam backlogs are weird.

Bundles are a pretty big reason for backlogs too. Before I started gifting away anything I didn't plan on playing I got a bunch of crap in my library just from bundles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

One last chance to get on the gift train before the sale is over:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3824602

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Trip Report: What Remains of Edith Finch is the most innovative shooter I've played in years.

So this game was a delight. I'm not even sure what to type about it because I knew very little about it going in and think that was a benefit. Like I'm even hesitant to call it a fantasy game, just for how good and immediate the moment that switch flip is. The concept itself is kind of shocking once you realize what it is doing. It's alllllmost too much but I think the game mostly earns everything. Maybe an ounce too far once or twice. My only complaint is that it feels a few stories shorter than it should be when it ends.

This is also probably the first walking simulator I can see myself replaying. The game is that consistent and sharp that doing it all again would still feel fresh. It has a chapter select too but that feels like cheating.

Also it's $15 on sale for like 2.5 hours max so... yeah. Do your own maths on that. I'm sure it'll be cheaper and put into a bunch of bundles and whatever, but I'm still glad I played it.

Hmmm, I think I've successfully said almost nothing at all. It is a good game.

Oh I forgot the most important thing, it is fun. Like, actually fun. A walking simulator that aims to be fun. That might be a spoiler. I'll tag it.

kater fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jul 5, 2017

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
Thank you Blackadder for gifting me Deathstate and :siren:Double Dragon IV:siren: I truly never expect anything in return for all the endless keys I throw at people because they are honestly just spare keys sitting around, but genuinely appreciate when people gift me stuff.

al-azad posted:

anybody responding with "but, annie mae" get the gently caress over it.

I'd like to separate this from the context of the original post and say that this would be a cool thing to have happen permanently.

RiffRaff1138 posted:

I don't normally care too much about badges, but I'm just one Lemonade card away from another level on my sale badge. Can someone hook me up? I have multiples of everything else (except Minigolf) that I can offer.

I did today's recommendations in the hope I'd get a Lemonade for you. And it turns out that when life gives you lemons ... friend invite sent.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

kater posted:

Trip Report: What Remains of Edith Finch is the most innovative shooter I've played in years.

I just spent the last of my steambux on the House of Fata Morgana (I now have too many VNs to read, but listen: Iiii don't caaaare I'm gonna have fun reading them all~) so I can't pick this up, but - you've convinced me to stick it on my wishlist. Thanks!

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
Guys, if someone has some non foil chivalry cards from the summer getaway sale 2013 now it's time to unload them, there must be a bot gone awry and I managed to sell my three cards at 0,56€ a pop. It won't go over to 0,57 though, i tried.

Totally related question, what are the best game I could buy for around 1,50€ ?

Tafferling fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jul 5, 2017

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
sold a csgo skin and ended up with 34 bucks, so far this is my list

anything i should reconsider

admataY
Oct 16, 2008

Palpek posted:

I bought Watch_Dogs 2 and the season pass, gonna watch some dogs tonight.

Jumping on this post for a relevant question : I usually have my fill with Ubi open world games before touching any DLC because they always feel so bloated. Is watch dogs 2 DLC paticulary good or can I get by with just the base game?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

ArfJason posted:

sold a csgo skin and ended up with 34 bucks, so far this is my list

anything i should reconsider

I didn't like Kairo and found it too...dull to be interesting. Devil Daggers also only has one level, so to speak - you're fighting to improve your skill at that single level, so... if it still sounds appealing, go for it.

The rest looks good, though I can't speak about Quake or Resident Evil.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
There is a system shock overhaul coming soon afaik, don't buy it now.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Hopper posted:

There is a system shock overhaul coming soon afaik, don't buy it now.

Someone said it's not until next summer. :(

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Yeah, it won't be out for a year or maybe more so purchase away.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
System Shock 1, even the enhanced edition is very very clumsy today. I mean you would be out a buck fifty if you don't like it but just know the remake is due out in 2018. For it's time, this game blew peoples minds and is where a ton of features we enjoy today came from.

Quake won't have the awesome CD soundtrack if you can live with that. If you're playing oldschool Quake, you might as well go all in and do the bundle.
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/434/

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Oy oy oy quit telling him to avoid System Shock! The enhanced edition is legit great - you have mouselook, it runs fine on modern systems, and the game itself is fun! I love how colorful and strange it is, especially compared to the remake's demo - it felt oppressively modern in how flat the colors were, and how it wasn't fun to look at or move around in it.

I feel the original has a ton of charm the remake will strip out, basically, so please give it a shot!

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
i can definitely endure jank and ive been curious about sshock1 for a while.
also yeah, i was worried about the remake but i imagine that will release for like 30 bucks and i cant justify spending more than 10 bucks on a single game

as for quake, i am aware of the soundtrack thing, and in fact i played quake without the soundtrack for most of my life because as a dumb argie kid i didnt realize they ripped it out to make the torrent smaller

im not buying the pack because i remember quake 2 being hot garbage. one of the mission packs for q1 was good tho but i cant remember which one it was.

kairo i dunno ive had my eye on it for a couple years now and 1 dollar seems as cheap as itll ever get, though there are so many super cheap short experiences that have cropped up that i wanna try, like morphopolis or refunct, but im already at the limit of my steam wallet funds

anyway thanks for the thoughts, guess ill pull the trigger

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Gravy Jones posted:

Same thing happened to me and I'm probably going to give it another shot soon. I get a bit OCD with stuff on the map in open world games and Witcher has a lot of stuff on the map, so I'm going to do my best to ignore a lot of that (and most likely fail) and follow the main story and bigger side quests. Probably going to turn it down to "story mode" difficulty as well as I'm not a fan of the combat. I should also probably spend less time standing there and looking at pretty sunsets.

Tried for another 90 minutes and got bored as poo poo again, so just left it. I get that it's a pivotal game but just not my cup of tea after all - I got way more fun out of PUBG.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

ArfJason posted:

i can definitely endure jank and ive been curious about sshock1 for a while.
also yeah, i was worried about the remake but i imagine that will release for like 30 bucks and i cant justify spending more than 10 bucks on a single game

as for quake, i am aware of the soundtrack thing, and in fact i played quake without the soundtrack for most of my life because as a dumb argie kid i didnt realize they ripped it out to make the torrent smaller

im not buying the pack because i remember quake 2 being hot garbage. one of the mission packs for q1 was good tho but i cant remember which one it was.

kairo i dunno ive had my eye on it for a couple years now and 1 dollar seems as cheap as itll ever get, though there are so many super cheap short experiences that have cropped up that i wanna try, like morphopolis or refunct, but im already at the limit of my steam wallet funds

anyway thanks for the thoughts, guess ill pull the trigger

Quake 2 is one of the most fun games I played growing up. I don't know what would be got garbage about it. I played it two years ago and it still rules hard. In fact I think it's superior to Quake.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
maybe i was too harsh when playing it but i recall it feeling a lot slower and a lot duller, with less punchy weapons. in any case, ive hit my steam wallet funds with all ive had so ill have to find out next time.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Quake 2 is different but not bad at all.

Hey, if you don't have Doom (the original) then buy the pack with all of them. I played Doom 2 last year alongside DOOM and it's arguably still a better game......

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
i felt doom 2 was kind of exhausting. i mean doom 1 is long, but doom 2 is gigantic. Too many labyrinthine city stages imo.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I got Dark Souls 2 via Humble Bundle. When do I need to cancel that? Does it renew the second you get your games?

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
^^^: No, you have a few weeks, it won't charge you until about a week before the next one. Having said that, you'll find out what the next feature/advance payment game is straight away when the rest of this current bundle is released so you'll know at least to a certain extent if you want to continue it or not.

Both System Shock games are fantastic, unless graphics really is more important than gameplay for you in which case I guess don't get the first one? Quake 2 rules I don't know what anyone is talking about saying otherwise. Devil Daggers doesn't suck per se but I'd get it in a bundle instead of paying $2.50 for it by itself.

The Watch Dogs 2 DLC looks garbage but then I don't have the season pass so I can't say for certain. 95% of it looks like cosmetics anyway in a game where you're playing single player the majority of the time and people are only seeing your clothing in co-op not in hacking MP because you deliberately look like a random civvy during those things. It's seems like a better idea would be to see next sale if you're still interested enough and then just get the gameplay relevant ones or the SP if it's cheaper to do so.

So the Disney Infinity games are great dumb fun given I know that everything is just now earned through gameplay instead of having to endlessly buy poo poo (this is trying it through Sharing). Definitely getting those now before Disney decides arbitrarily to pull them. Those 10 minute forced simple quasi-tutorial/Disney advertisements/ads for a game I'm just trying to play which are at the start of 1.0 and 3.0 can go gently caress themselves though. I guess I'm mainly talking about the infuriating 1.0 thing, 2.0 just made a proper intro level as it's opening, and while 3.0 fell back onto the "USE YOUR IMAGINATION" bullshit at least it was Star Wars I guess.

markgreyam fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jul 5, 2017

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I got Dark Souls 2 via Humble Bundle. When do I need to cancel that? Does it renew the second you get your games?

It renews the week before games go out. Last Friday of a month. You can probably cancel right now if you've already bought July.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/humblebundles/comments/5xc0yn/how_does_humble_monthly_work/

Q6: "When is the latest I can unsubscribe (if I am a [re]current subscriber) to avoid being autocharged for the next month's bundle if I subscribe for this one now?"
A: ONE WEEK before the next bundle goes live, you will be autocharged if you are currently subscribed. I recommend unsubscribing/canceling subscription right away if you know you don't want next month's bundle. Alternatively, you can also opt to pay for a 1 month plan.

ie you need to unsubscribe or pause before Friday, July 28th because the next bundle drops on Friday Aug. 4th.

efb

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

markgreyam posted:

The Watch Dogs 2 DLC looks garbage but then I don't have the season pass so I can't say for certain. 95% of it looks like cosmetics anyway in a game where you're playing single player the majority of the time and people are only seeing your clothing in co-op not in hacking MP because you deliberately look like a random civvy during those things. It's seems like a better idea would be to see next sale if you're still interested enough and then just get the gameplay relevant ones or the SP if it's cheaper to do so.
Season Pass DLC includes just the gameplay relevant DLCs and maybe 2 cosmetic ones, the rest is all paid for separately.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Palpek posted:

Season Pass DLC includes just the gameplay relevant DLCs and maybe 2 cosmetic ones, the rest is all paid for separately.

I probably should have looked into it more, but I just naively assumed that the Season Pass would be all DLC. That's a lot of pointless cosmetic stuff for a Watch Dogs game.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Looks like the discount on Now You See Me 2 is ending alongside the rest of the sale.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

markgreyam posted:

So the Disney Infinity games are great dumb fun given I know that everything is just now earned through gameplay instead of having to endlessly buy poo poo (this is trying it through Sharing). Definitely getting those now before Disney decides arbitrarily to pull them. Those 10 minute forced simple quasi-tutorial/Disney advertisements/ads for a game I'm just trying to play which are at the start of 1.0 and 3.0 can go gently caress themselves though. I guess I'm mainly talking about the infuriating 1.0 thing, 2.0 just made a proper intro level as it's opening, and while 3.0 fell back onto the "USE YOUR IMAGINATION" bullshit at least it was Star Wars I guess.

The gold editions seem a bit pricey, where do you find the standard ones?

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

If you go to your account page, it will tell you your next billing date. It is usually the 25th or 30th.

Wildtortilla posted:

Quake 2 is one of the most fun games I played growing up. I don't know what would be got garbage about it. I played it two years ago and it still rules hard. In fact I think it's superior to Quake.

Quake 1 is probably my all time favorite game. Quake 2 is close. I actually just beat the expansions for both a year ago and had a blast despite their age. The hold up very well. I was hoping for a 20th anniversary Quake 1/2 Edition with workshop support and local multiplayer splitscreen (on consoles) for kicks, but alas, no. Wolfenstein has cannibalized a lot of Quake's ideas.

strategery fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jul 5, 2017

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Hopper posted:

The gold editions seem a bit pricey, where do you find the standard ones?

I'm not sure where the idea of there being standard ones came from, I'm just talking about the Gold editions, they're the only things I can see.

I'm presuming "Gold" is their way of saying "Buy once, never get reamed by endless figurine/playset purchases again". For the first time I'm aware of, a publisher decided to can a game with server connectivity/external purchases (did it store a remote account? I could be talking out of my rear end) but instead of just pulling it, they actually did some reworking to make it into a proper "Pay once, get everything" game. Everything is available and just unlocked by gaining in-game credits.

From my so far limited playtime and historical experience, 2.0 and 3.0 are worth it for content etc (1.0 is just a lot of real kids stuff; all the Avengers and Star Wars stuff is in 2.0 and 3.0) but 3.0 is $15 alone and the complete set of all three is also $15, so as far as I'm concerned you either buy 2.0 for $7.50 or just buy the complete trilogy for $15, because obviously if you're going to pay $15 for 3.0 why not just pay the same price at get all three.

Also, as the sale winds down, I've decided going to make a last minute purchase of Giga Wrecker almost sight unseen (which I say primarily because I have zero idea of what's going on in the store page videos) simply because it's the Pokemon devs.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Is Dawn of War 3 good if I liked the first two? It's hard to get a bead on this from reviews.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

While selling off cards, I realized that I still have some Sam & Max themed TF2 items in my inventory that are still apparently worth a lot of money. Is there any reason not to sell these if I have no intention of ever playing TF2 again (or even if I do decide to again someday)?

On a related note, when did this "you need to confirm every sale item on your phone, and then there's a 2 week hold" bullshit begin? It's been a long time since I last cleaned my inventory out.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

markgreyam posted:

I'm not sure where the idea of there being standard ones came from, I'm just talking about the Gold editions, they're the only things I can see.

I'm presuming "Gold" is their way of saying "Buy once, never get reamed by endless figurine/playset purchases again". For the first time I'm aware of, a publisher decided to can a game with server connectivity/external purchases (did it store a remote account? I could be talking out of my rear end) but instead of just pulling it, they actually did some reworking to make it into a proper "Pay once, get everything" game. Everything is available and just unlocked by gaining in-game credits.

From my so far limited playtime and historical experience, 2.0 and 3.0 are worth it for content etc (1.0 is just a lot of real kids stuff; all the Avengers and Star Wars stuff is in 2.0 and 3.0) but 3.0 is $15 alone and the complete set of all three is also $15, so as far as I'm concerned you either buy 2.0 for $7.50 or just buy the complete trilogy for $15, because obviously if you're going to pay $15 for 3.0 why not just pay the same price at get all three.

Ah OK, you said "play to unlock everything" and I assumed that ment there is a version were you play and one that's pay to win aka "gold edition" as it is often available for free to play games. But gold means all content here. Got it.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

ephori posted:

Is Dawn of War 3 good if I liked the first two? It's hard to get a bead on this from reviews.

I'd hold off until it's cheaper/patched more, unless you watch your time for the refund window (if bought on Steam). It is completely unlike DoW2, it's more a straight RTS like DoW1 but is lacking some things fans of DoW1 enjoyed, like morale.

From earlier in the thread I posted this:

PlushCow posted:

Also anyone interested in DoW3, green man gaming has it for $30, less than Steam (of course no refund...). Fans of previous games have lots of problems with the game but I find the RTS gameplay fun, with lots of spectacle in the battles that make them very entertaining (though with too many micro abilities to keep track of), but it absolutely is lacking content. It really needs more maps, a co-op mode, at its price point. The campaign's story is stupid but the missions are more fun than not. I don't do competitive multiplayer but I hear it's pretty dead, might pick up a bit because of the sale. I've gotten 30 hours out of my $30 from GMG and am happy with it but I wouldn't recommend the game without reservations however.

PlushCow posted:

DOW3 borrows some MOBA elements but it's not a MOBA. The standard multiplayer mode's win condition is destroying the enemy core; but to do this you need to destroy 2 structures before you get to the core, first a shield generator (that enemies can garrison guys in), and then a super turret, then you can kill the core. These structures make the map paths (what RTS doesnt have paths/lanes?) more pronounced/like lanes. I really like it because it basically stops the standard RTS tactic of early rush, and helps pace out a match.

They recently patched in Annihilation Mode, which is the standard RTS kill all enemy structures to win.

There are hero units (that are really loving cool) but you cant customize them beyond one buff option (called doctrines) that affects your faction, not the hero unit itself. After a match is done they get XP that can unlock a currency bonus (for unlocking other heroes/doctrines), a new doctrine for your faction, and eventually a new skin.

You can choose up to 3 hero units to use in a match, with different "Elite Point" cost. You get elite points in a match at a standard rate (by time), with a bonus to that if you capture a specific resource point. Heroes cost different amounts of points, with the gigantic ones costing a lot of points, making you choose between a lower cost unit that can swing early fights or waiting for the endgame heroes if you can hold out long enough

https://fat.gfycat.com/DeliciousAptCockroach.webm

I think the core gameplay is a lot of fun but not enough content for the steam sale price. Green man gaming has it for less but then you cant refund it if you dont like it.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Hopper posted:

Ah OK, you said "play to unlock everything" and I assumed that ment there is a version were you play and one that's pay to win aka "gold edition" as it is often available for free to play games. But gold means all content here. Got it.

Okay I see how you got there. Definitely just a single purchase; the free-base game which basically gave you nothing, followed up by the requirement to purchase each character or playset item or whatever is now completely gone, you definitely just get everything. It's actually kind of refreshing that this is how the game ended up given that when they dropped Infinity on PC (I don't even know if it's still going on console) I think everyone just presumed that all the "invested" purchases would be gone. Having said that I don't know if people who purchased stuff in the previous iteration got any compensation. I know I bought a single figurine and redeemed it for 2.0 but once I realised they were moving onto 3.0 and that it was all so purchase heavy I just gave up and deleted the game from my account anyway so who knows/cares.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

ArfJason posted:

I know you're skipping this but for anyone else that needs to snap up the full Quake 2 experience in the next hour, The Reckoning was the good one, and Ground Zero was the not good one. I reviewed them all because of course people need in-depth critiques of 20-year-old FPSes and their expansion packs.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
was talking q1's tho. I thiiiiink the first expansion was the good one? but i cant remember without playing

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Too Shy Guy posted:

I know you're skipping this but for anyone else that needs to snap up the full Quake 2 experience in the next hour, The Reckoning was the good one, and Ground Zero was the not good one. I reviewed them all because of course people need in-depth critiques of 20-year-old FPSes and their expansion packs.
Ground Zero and those goddamn turrets. I would've enjoyed it if not for those.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

ArfJason posted:

was talking q1's tho. I thiiiiink the first expansion was the good one? but i cant remember without playing

Ha, I can't read! I reviewed those too and yes, Scourge of Armagon is the good one and Dissolution of Eternity is the bad one, despite having an incredible title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Aaaand it's done.

Well that was a fun sale, got a lot of stuff.

How'd everyone else do?

e: oh and to all you goons who made me get Dead Cells, here's one last

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 5, 2017

• Locked thread