Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It would have to be negotiated

They just finished a negotiation round . I doubt there is appetite to reopen the cba at This time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mosgov was flukey. Ownership was in the middle of a civil war and the gm was trying to save his job. It should never have gotten to that . It was a bad Buss will

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
https://twitter.com/its_whitney/status/882410361638539268

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Woj being terrible on TV is so hilariously great

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
How many irredeemably bad contracts were actually handed out last season? Turner and Mozgov are the obvious ones. I dunno how many more I'd consider as bad as that.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
I just think the Hayward "well looks like he showed his TRUE COLORS" stuff is funny. His faith in the Thanks City letter and rigid adherence to the plan in the face of leaks is more naive and clumsy than the work of a world-class snake. I wouldn't expect Jazz fans to be happy now that their team is significantly worse but you'd think Hayward had pulled a DeAndre on them

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

leftist heap posted:

How many irredeemably bad contracts were actually handed out last season? Turner and Mozgov are the obvious ones. I dunno how many more I'd consider as bad as that.

That's the thing. Take Mike Conley's Massive loving Contract. He's worth at least that much, it just kinda fucks with the balance of the team. Basically it reveals what we've known all along, all NBA players are underpaid

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
If anything the problem is still that the owners are bad.

Like look, I'm not going to blame players for taking money that is offered to them.

Otto Porter shouldn't be getting a Max deal.

That deal is going to hamstring the poo poo out of the Wizards going forward.

Ditto with Tyler Johnson and how next year he's going to be a ~19 million dollar a year player.

Portland and Crabbe/Turner

Lakers Mosgov/Deng

These teams hosed themselves over. I'm not gonna blame the players or the players union for front offices losing their drat fool mind and going full on Prokov/Billy King when they get a bonus.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Getting upset about Hayward denying that a decision had been made is seriously the dumbest thing

Move the Jazz to Seattle and give Utah a baseball team so their fans can be indignant about bat flips

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

leftist heap posted:

chandler parsons lmao

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Dexo posted:

If anything the problem is still that the owners are bad.

Like look, I'm not going to blame players for taking money that is offered to them.

That deal is going to hamstring the poo poo out of the Wizards going forward.

Ditto with Tyler Johnson and how next year he's going to be a ~19 million dollar a year player.

Portland and Crabbe/Turner

Lakers Mosgov/Deng

These teams hosed themselves over. I'm not gonna blame the players or the players union for front offices losing their drat fool mind and going full on Prokov/Billy King when they get a bonus.

Most of those are rfas which is a broken system

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

leftist heap posted:

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/748729312325595137

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/752216113484746752

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

A large number of teams collectively mismanaging their cap space and giving huge contracts to bad players isn't really the fault of the players union. the only problematic thing about not smoothing cap jumps is it briefly allows players who are worth more than a max contract (Kevin Durant) to sign with teams that shouldn't be able to add another max contract (the Warriors), and you could argue that max contracts are really what's at fault there.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

MourningView posted:

I don't know if he cares, but this isn't what happened. Someone in his camp leaked to reporters he was going to Boston before he had a chance to tell Utah, he got pissed and had his agent deny that a decision was made, lots of Utah fans got false hope, it lingered most of the day, and then he broke their hearts all over again with that stupid players tribune thing. The instagram thing came out after his initial denial and doesn't have anything to do with it. It was a bad way to handle it. If you're going to leave anyway just confirm it once it gets out, don't give people false hope just for the sake of some dumb ghost written letter that doesn't serve any purpose aside from making you feel like you handled things in a classy way by thanking Utah on the way out the door.

Even given that, it wasn't exactly DJ locked in a house, and "WILL HAUNT HIM" still sounded like excess bitterness, but then I got to the bolded part

add Salt Lake City to the list of Utah's dozens of Ghost Towns immediately

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Dexo posted:

Actually this was amazing cause it was the nets just loving with miami

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Ian Mahimi is so bad people don't even realize he got the exact same contract as Mozgov and played even worse

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

leftist heap posted:

A fair amount of these are defensible or not bad but I don't think many are sniffing that amount in any other year

Chandler Parsons: 4 years, $98.5M
Miles Plumlee: 4 years, $52 million
Ken Bazemore: 4 years, $70M
Ryan Anderson: 4 years, $80M
Bismack Biyombo: 4 years, $72M
Jordan Clarkson: 4 years, $50M
Courtney Lee: 4 years, $50M
Alan Crabbe: 4 years, $75M
Ian Mahinmi: 4 years, $64M
Meyers Leonard: 4 years, $41M
Joakim Noah: 4 years, $72M
Al Jefferson: 3 years, $30M
Luol Deng: 4 years, $72M
Tyler Johnson: 4 years, $50M
Andrew Nicholson: 4 years, $26M
Timofey Mozgov: 4 years, $65M
Cole Aldrich: 3 years, $22M
DJ Augustin: 4 years, $29M
Rajon Rondo: 2 years, $28M
Solomon Hill: 4 years, $52M
Dwight Powell: 4 years, $37M
Jon Leuer: 4 years, $42M

morestuff fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 5, 2017

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Also if the NBA was serious about cap smoothing they should've proposed it a year earlier so that the 2015-16 cap could've been higher

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Johnson is 12.5 average which is fine

Under the new cba Miami could have averaged out the salary

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Dexo posted:

Lakers Mosgov/Deng

One by one the Nets will shank teams with RFAs, collect their blood in a pan and sell it back to them for picks as they lay in dying need. I love my brutal Russian crime team. Black and white and paid for red :c00l:

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
ha I forgot about Luol

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

euphronius posted:

Most of those are rfas which is a broken system

yup.

Though smart teams that can plan well and scout well will tend to lock their quality players up before they hit RFA and get overpaid in the first place.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Dexo posted:

yup.

Though smart teams that can plan well and scout well will tend to lock their quality players up before they hit RFA and get overpaid in the first place.

Or trade them to Indiana for Paul George

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

euphronius posted:

Or trade them to Indiana for Paul George

pretty sure I said quality players...

edit: Though yeah I like Zach Lavine and am kinda hoping the bulls can leverage the knee injury(jesus that sounds bad typing it out like that) to get him to sign a below market deal for stability and security.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

The Glumslinger posted:

Ian Mahimi is so bad people don't even realize he got the exact same contract as Mozgov and played even worse

In Mahinmi's defense he was hurt for nearly the entire season. He looked much improved as a pacer, but not 16m a year for 4 years improved

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

How do you fix RFA? Would you do a baseball style system of arbitration? I feel like that gives teams more leverage and could possibly harm player relationships with the team

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Holy poo poo Oladipo is making 21M a year.

goddamn.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Dexo posted:

goddamn.

yeah that extension was real bad and okc pulled a heist in dumping it. even if george leaves after this year they still won the trade from that dump alone

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/882659393954652160

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Carlosologist posted:

How do you fix RFA? Would you do a baseball style system of arbitration? I feel like that gives teams more leverage and could possibly harm player relationships with the team

Rfa kills relationships too

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Carlosologist posted:

I like Arbitration a bunch, Honestly I think Rookies should get Arbitration after their first 2 years in the league(the years when the Owners have a Team option on rookie contracts) Or the Teams can sign them to their second contract. Well my real thought is abolish the Draft but other than that...

Though that probably means MCW and those like him would have ended up getting paid a ton, which is not something I'm sure I can cosign...

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Dexo posted:

goddamn.

That's what I meant

One way to deal with bad rfas is to turn them into Paul George lol

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Swaggy P ring chasing!

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Contract year Nick Young is going to be insanely good on the Warriors

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Another love turned enemy

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

between javale and swaggy golden state is shrewdly signing all the most likable players to attempt to get people to stop hating them

it won't work on me. not unless they also sign vince carter and also also sign t-mac out of retirement.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Ohhh poo poo. Taking the Ian Clark role, should be fun. Won't be surprised to see a Javale-esque redemption season.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Teach them, Swaggy

https://twitter.com/NickSwagyPYoung/status/741451413633437696

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Aww :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I forgot about Parsons and Noah, lmao.

Oladipo was an extension but yeah his contract is awful.

Meyers Leonard sucks but I'm not gonna begrudge a dude making $10 million. Crabbe's contract is awful but at least he can do A Thing passably well. Turner literally can't do anything even remotely well.

• Locked thread