Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Paperback Writer posted:

Ohhh poo poo. Taking the Ian Clark role, should be fun. Won't be surprised to see a Javale-esque redemption season.

You should look up his stats from last year, he was really good and was even trying to play defense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Shear Modulus posted:

between javale and swaggy golden state is shrewdly signing all the most likable players to attempt to get people to stop hating them

it won't work on me. not unless they also sign vince carter and also also sign t-mac out of retirement.

The Warriors need to just take it to the next level and sign some old ballers in their 50s and 60s who never got rings to play a few minutes and take injury settlements.

Imagine Karl Malone getting minutes in the NBA this year.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Paperback Writer posted:

Ohhh poo poo. Taking the Ian Clark role, should be fun. Won't be surprised to see a Javale-esque redemption season.

he already had a redemption season

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

https://twitter.com/NickSwagyPYoung/status/741448443902582784

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Bigass Moth posted:

The Warriors need to just take it to the next level and sign some old ballers in their 50s and 60s who never got rings to play a few minutes and take injury settlements.

Imagine Karl Malone getting minutes in the NBA this year.

They already got Nash a ring

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dutchy posted:

I just think the Hayward "well looks like he showed his TRUE COLORS" stuff is funny. His faith in the Thanks City letter and rigid adherence to the plan in the face of leaks is more naive and clumsy than the work of a world-class snake. I wouldn't expect Jazz fans to be happy now that their team is significantly worse but you'd think Hayward had pulled a DeAndre on them

The headlines are dramatic, and I don't think he's history worst monster or something. I'm just saying he legitimately didn't handle it very well and made it more painful than it needed to be. People would have been dumb and mad either way but in this case there's at least a little justification.

It's also not like Utah is the first fanbase to get mad at a free agent for leaving, I think pretty much every fanbase in the league would react similarly if their team was in the same situation.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

lol

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

hahahahaha

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Dexo posted:

If anything the problem is still that the owners are bad.

Like look, I'm not going to blame players for taking money that is offered to them.

Otto Porter shouldn't be getting a Max deal.

That deal is going to hamstring the poo poo out of the Wizards going forward.

Ditto with Tyler Johnson and how next year he's going to be a ~19 million dollar a year player.

Portland and Crabbe/Turner

Lakers Mosgov/Deng

These teams hosed themselves over. I'm not gonna blame the players or the players union for front offices losing their drat fool mind and going full on Prokov/Billy King when they get a bonus.

Yeah the problem is more ownership and management and it's also impossible to make a perfect system (~tHe MaRkEt!!~~ is always gonna produce dumb results and less market means less player freedom of movement or less job security so). The hard thing is that this is a form of entertainment and community bonding, not just an exchange of values between labor and ownership. The fans have real interests too, which are only represented in the current system by proxy through the interplay of ratings/sales/marketing.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Cleveland invented The Jersey Burn, and also The River Burn.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Swaggy is going to GS? Sweet! Now Minnesota can do that sign and trade for CJ Miles!

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

euphronius posted:

Mosgov was flukey. Ownership was in the middle of a civil war and the gm was trying to save his job. It should never have gotten to that . It was a bad Buss will

So, you can blame Magic Johnson for Mozgov and Deng also.

heh

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

great idea

combat earl with dollar store earl

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Getting upset about Hayward denying that a decision had been made is seriously the dumbest thing

Move the Jazz to Seattle and give Utah a baseball team so their fans can be indignant about bat flips

Yah. Sorry if there are any Jazz fans in this thread

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
wait is it actually Swagy P and not Swaggy P lmao

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Otto Porter shouldn't get the max, but for many teams that have high salaries, they can't just take that same amount of money and spend it on whatever free agent they want instead. Same with Crabbe. He wasn't worth what he was offered, but Portland would have let him walk for nothing and wouldn't have a clear way to replace that production. Not even the Spurs have a guaranteed hit rate on converting second rounders and D-League picks into quality rotation guys.

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

MourningView posted:

It's also not like Utah is the first fanbase to get mad at a free agent for leaving, I think pretty much every fanbase in the league would react similarly if their team was in the same situation.

It's like everyone has forgotten laughing at all the salty Celtics fans on twitter calling Ray Allen a "trader" years ago

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

So is someone replacing Otto Porter or is Kelly Oubre going to start?

Cuz I like that kid and his fight starting antics.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/KDTrey5/status/882663756978831360

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

kiimo posted:

So is someone replacing Otto Porter or is Kelly Oubre going to start?

Cuz I like that kid and his fight starting antics.

Nets made him an offer so Wizards got afrighted and are gonna offer him a super big contract hah hah

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

morestuff posted:

A fair amount of these are defensible or not bad but I don't think many are sniffing that amount in any other year

Chandler Parsons: 4 years, $98.5M
Miles Plumlee: 4 years, $52 million
Ken Bazemore: 4 years, $70M
Ryan Anderson: 4 years, $80M
Bismack Biyombo: 4 years, $72M
Jordan Clarkson: 4 years, $50M
Courtney Lee: 4 years, $50M
Alan Crabbe: 4 years, $75M
Ian Mahinmi: 4 years, $64M
Meyers Leonard: 4 years, $41M
Joakim Noah: 4 years, $72M
Al Jefferson: 3 years, $30M
Luol Deng: 4 years, $72M
Tyler Johnson: 4 years, $50M
Andrew Nicholson: 4 years, $26M
Timofey Mozgov: 4 years, $65M
Cole Aldrich: 3 years, $22M
DJ Augustin: 4 years, $29M
Rajon Rondo: 2 years, $28M
Solomon Hill: 4 years, $52M
Dwight Powell: 4 years, $37M
Jon Leuer: 4 years, $42M

The only one of these contracts I'd describe as "good" is Tyler Johnson.

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

So are the Warriors doubling down on going small with more 3pt shooting, instead of signing any decent centers?

I assume Zaza probably can't get more than the vets minimum, so he should be back. Wouldn't be surprised to see Javale McGee get offered more than the minimum somewhere else

Anyway I think that getting more 3pt shooters is a smart move by them, their supporting cast was actually pretty bad at it despite the team's reputation

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

screenshot taken as the ball is bounces out makes it look so much worse hah

he turned around to celebrate when the ball was halfway down

PABLO PRIGIONI WITH THE REBOUND

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Nick Young? Ugh, maybe the team doesn't trust McCaw yet which is disappointing.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

WhyteRyce posted:

Otto Porter shouldn't get the max, but for many teams that have high salaries, they can't just take that same amount of money and spend it on whatever free agent they want instead. Same with Crabbe. He wasn't worth what he was offered, but Portland would have let him walk for nothing and wouldn't have a clear way to replace that production. Not even the Spurs have a guaranteed hit rate on converting second rounders and D-League picks into quality rotation guys.

I'm unclear on the timing of everything, but shouldn't their intention of signing Evan Turner theoretically have helped them offset the loss of Crabbe? I didn't understand the point of having both, on top of Dame and CJ made much sense at their price range.

I know a lot of Sixers fans were slobbering over the possibility of signing Crabbe last summer, similarly doing so with KCP at the start of this offseason. Signing either player to a max or huge contract just seem(ed) foolish from the getgo.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the rondo one was not as bad as the others since it was so short and the second year only had 3M guaranteed (although it could be argued it looked costlier than the dollar amount since rondo had been a net negative on at least his last two teams)

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

leftist heap posted:

I forgot about Parsons and Noah, lmao.

Oladipo was an extension but yeah his contract is awful.

Meyers Leonard sucks but I'm not gonna begrudge a dude making $10 million. Crabbe's contract is awful but at least he can do A Thing passably well. Turner literally can't do anything even remotely well.

Oh so post up spins don't count as anything huh. Next you're going to tell me that Victor Oladipo doesn't deserve 21m per year for his spin move

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Wow the bench got even better.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Reddick for 1/23 is so much nicer lol than crabbe or kcp. Amazing

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I still approve of the Joakim Noah contract :colbert:

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

leftist heap posted:

wait is it actually Swagy P and not Swaggy P lmao

It's a Hungarian name, pronounced like Swa zha- Puh

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Yeah, some of those contracts are worse for the years than for the money. Like who has to have DJ Augustin locked down until 2021

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I mean, Nick averaged over 40% from 3 and had an eFG of 57%

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

DeimosRising posted:

Yeah the problem is more ownership and management and it's also impossible to make a perfect system (~tHe MaRkEt!!~~ is always gonna produce dumb results and less market means less player freedom of movement or less job security so). The hard thing is that this is a form of entertainment and community bonding, not just an exchange of values between labor and ownership. The fans have real interests too, which are only represented in the current system by proxy through the interplay of ratings/sales/marketing.

which is a fair critique of my position, and I can't really square that other than to say, I don't think much has changed in the fabric of the NBA outside of a once in a lifetime perfect confluence of events that allowed the second or third best player in the league to jump to one of the best regular season teams of of time(still didn't win that ring tho :jordansmugface:) cementing a team as p much the only contender in the league for a 3-4 year period. .

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

Nick Young is gonna get 6MOY for shamelessly gunning off the bench in Golden State. Iguodola will get denied again. :anime:

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

euphronius posted:

Reddick for 1/23 is so much nicer lol than crabbe or kcp. Amazing

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
personally there is no such thing in the NBA as a bad one year deal.

Like I wouldn't give much of a poo poo if my team wanted to give like Swaggy P 25 million dollars for one year to just take up salary cap if necessary.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
https://twitter.com/TeamLou23/status/880403935382482948

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

MourningView posted:

The headlines are dramatic, and I don't think he's history worst monster or something. I'm just saying he legitimately didn't handle it very well and made it more painful than it needed to be. People would have been dumb and mad either way but in this case there's at least a little justification.

Oh it's definitely not unique to Utah, but it doesn't have to be for the more dramatic stuff to be amusing. Every team has an army of moralizing local columnists, shirsey-burners, and SBNation homophobes ready to go and it's basically always funny when they are called to action

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/882668215062601729

• Locked thread