Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

If this were compatible with a couple more systems I would jump on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Cartridge only copies of mario paint are both dirt cheap and abundant.

So this is very interesting.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

They really need to make a dreamcast one

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
https://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/vgm/6200406151.html

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
The goddamn screen isn't even centered.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james

I wish someone would romhack Shadowrun and add mouse support.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

What a weird world we live in.

SpaceAceJase posted:

:yeah:

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jul 5, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I spent way too long wondering why there wasnt a USB port on this weird novelty PC mouse before realizing it's for an actual SNES. That is a beautiful thing :allears:.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

SpaceAceJase posted:

I have never considered this before but holy poo poo

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

I love to hate everything about this.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

As lol as this is, are those labeled trackball controls which say "forward swing" and "back swing" actually from a trackball game?

sinepost
Nov 16, 2004

four o'clock and all's well
Yes, the trackball is from a Golden Tee machine.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
I ordered that SNES mouse, it was just $20 on Amazon. I'll let everyone know how good/bad it is when it shows up. Hyperkin quality varies wildly, so who knows!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Same here. Just ordered one. Thanks for posting it. Though I don't like Hyperkin's consoles, I respect the hell out of a company that puts up money to reproduce Virtual Boy eye shades that were getting ridiculously expensive on ebay, so God bless them.

Also holy poo poo yes, please someone hack Shadowrun for mouse support. I actually went to Babbage's in 1993 and asked for the PC version of Shadowrun and I was gobsmacked when the clerk told me there was no such thing. I was convinced the SNES one was a PC port.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Apparently the Doom port for the SNES has mouse support? I think the socketed SFX cart I made to play Yoshi's Island romhacks will play Doom, I just need to see if I programmed an EPROM with it, or if I have a blank lying around. That sounds like something worth trying.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

xamphear posted:

Yoshi's Island romhacks

This caught my attention. Are there any good ones?

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_NES_Mouse

The list of SNES Mouse-compatible games is way larger than I thought.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Mak0rz posted:

Uhhh off the top of my head the good ones I know of is kameks revenge and smw2+ and smw2+2.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Machine posted:

Wow, I honestly thought that thing was only good for Mario Paint :stare:.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Mak0rz posted:

Ineffiable posted:

Uhhh off the top of my head the good ones I know of is kameks revenge and smw2+ and smw2+2.
Yep, and I'd add "New! SMW2" to the list as well.

SMW2+2 is really good, if you were only going to try one, try that one.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wow, I honestly thought that thing was only good for Mario Paint :stare:.

Most of the list is Japan only stuff. It says Wolfenstein supports mouse though, someone should try that and compare to PC version!

Alucardd
Aug 1, 2006
SimAnt with the mouse is very good.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
The only SNES mouse game you need:

xamphear posted:

Apparently the Doom port for the SNES has mouse support? I think the socketed SFX cart I made to play Yoshi's Island romhacks will play Doom, I just need to see if I programmed an EPROM with it, or if I have a blank lying around. That sounds like something worth trying.

The SNES port of Doom is only worth owning for the angry red cartridge and is a completely unplayable port. Don't do it. It runs at like 5 fps.

The GBA Doom on the other hand is pretty slick.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Ineffiable posted:

xamphear posted:

Yep, and I'd add "New! SMW2" to the list as well.

SMW2+2 is really good, if you were only going to try one, try that one.

Cool, thanks!

Zaphod42 posted:

The SNES port of Doom is only worth owning for the angry red cartridge and is a completely unplayable port. Don't do it. It runs at like 5 fps.

The GBA Doom on the other hand is pretty slick.

Playing Doom with just a mouse (a two-button mouse, for that matter) is going to be hell without a keyboard anyway.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

The Machine posted:

I'm pretty sure I used the mouse to play Civilization and it was awful, but that port of the game is terrible anyway.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
is there a hack to use the mouse with sim city

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The Lord of the Rings with the SNES mouse sounds like a good James & Mike episode.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Zand posted:

is there a hack to use the mouse with sim city

It seems not even SimCity 2000 has mouse support :psyduck:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Populous would be a good choice for a mouse hack, too.

Also Super Mario All Stars entirely because I want to see people struggle with that.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Doom on SNES seemed fine when I had it years ago. I got pretty far.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Vintersorg posted:

Doom on SNES seemed fine when I had it years ago. I got pretty far.

Considering every PC can play Doom perfectly, its really really not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZawqQVgkOA

It is playable but the resolution and frame rate and controls just aren't worth it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Considering every PC can play Doom perfectly, its really really not.

Most refrigerators can play Doom perfectly these days.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

I really liked the video of playing Doom on a Porsche.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Eh, back then it was fine. PC's were still super expensive in 95.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

That's my point

Everything but the SNES (and ... uh there was another bad port too... not Jaguar...) can play it perfectly, even GBA, so please play it on whatever else you have.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Zaphod42 posted:

That's my point

Everything but the SNES (and ... uh there was another bad port too... not Jaguar...) can play it perfectly, even GBA, so please play it on whatever else you have.

The 32X port was terrible.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
It's for Arkanoid dammit! I buy stupid peripherals for a handful of games. I got my mouse with board for Arkanoid. Just like I got the Vaus controller for the NES to play its Arkanoid. One of these days I totally need to do a blog post about all these limited support controllers and the handful of games that support them. Light guns! Racing Wheels! Flight Sticks! Mice! Fishing Controllers! I seem addicted to these stupid rear end things.

On the upside getting most Guncon 1-2 games is pretty easy outside of WORKING DESIGNS DORK TAX because Elemental Gearbolt US costs about what every other Guncon 1 PSX game does combined. Like add in Turbotax and loving Vasteel is a 250 dollar game. And it has enemy AI that is closer to someone in a coma.

Yes though I am the idiot who recently spent 50 bucks for that PS1 twin analog flight stick monstrosity just so I can play PS1 ports of Descent (at lower frame rates) and Mechwarrior 2 (with textures!) because I seem to adore these gimmick rear end controllers.

EDIT: LOOK AT THIS GODDAMN STUPID THING I BOUGHT BECAUSE I AM STUPID.

Luckily my snes mouse is in solid condition and I know how to keep my balls and rollers clean so I don't completely need that sweet looking optical mouse. Nope. Don't need it. Not at all. :negative:

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jul 6, 2017

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

That's my point

ti83, got it

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
honestly most of the ports of Doom on consoles are janky in one way or another. PSX and SNES are the best pre-Xbox ones (the Xbox being the first "perfect" Doom port on consoles), but PSX has a weird soundtrack and some jank with the level order, and SNES runs at 5fps and is outright missing a couple levels.

if you wanna play Doom in 2017 just get the PC version and GZDoom (or Eternity if you're dying to use a controller and have splitscreen)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
it kind of amuses me that it took until the loving original Xbox for consoles to get a version of Doom that wasn't gimped in some way or another. a game that a loving 386 could run properly.

• Locked thread