Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I can't remember where I saw it, but they had "Onwed" rather than "Owned" for something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

New Leaf posted:

I can't remember where I saw it, but they had "Onwed" rather than "Owned" for something.
There's a plethora of typos and terrible translations in the game as of this version. The Rome chapter is comically bad when they try to get Nero's emotions across. Apparently they only had like three people working on this?

RanKizama fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 5, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RanKizama posted:

I agree, but what is the proper name now? Everything I've ever seen in released English Fate poo poo, including the recently released Fate/Extella PS4 game, has it as Artoria. It wasn't until Grand Order did Altria become a thing. Why not just look at it like "Sorry. Our Engrish bad. It can now fix," and actually have it work in harmony with everything else? I know this seems like I'm stomping around a molehill like it's a mountain, but it just bugs me.
'cause it's always been altria in japanese merch and they didnt care at all about western releases of fate stuff until now. the brass at typemoon weren't even sure what was and wasn't released in english, as shown by

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Endorph posted:

'cause it's always been altria in japanese merch and they didnt care at all about western releases of fate stuff until now. the brass at typemoon weren't even sure what was and wasn't released in english, as shown by
Only on Grand Order merch. I saw that in the interview and am still baffled by how utterly clueless they seem to be. This only seems to further prove that "these clowns" is a good way to refer to the team handling the work on this game.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nate RFB posted:

I can only imagine that the reasons for Jeanne Alter's popularity is due to gameplay reasons and/pror event/interlude segments, because Orleans did very little to endear her for me.

It is admittedly in part due to gameplay. As a servant, Jeanne Alter has one of the most powerful single target NPs in the game. I've seen level 90 Jeanne Alters from my friends list do like 250-300k damage with only self and master buffs. That'll basically one shot bosses until very late in the game.

Her skillset is also solid, and versatile, too. You can pair her with a star generator like Jack and use her as a sweeper, or with an NP tank like Waver and pump out NPs, or just use her cards to fit in on a Buster squad.

And she's a Ruler, who are very rare (2 from limited gachas, 2 locked in the late story, 1 that can only come rarely from the friend point gacha), and 4 out of 5 of them are very useful. Avengers only take extra damage from Berserkers and one special class servant who just came out on the JP version a couple months ago. They also are the only class to do double damage to Rulers, and you will run across a few ruler bosses.

As for her character, she's at her most bland in Orleans when they're trying to make her be serious and do plot.

After she's introduced in an event, she continues to make a lot of appearances in other events and leaves a lasting impression. It helps that the new sprite set she gets as a servant has some of the best faces in the game:

(the two in the lower left especially get a lot of mileage)

Overall, people liked the gimmick of her sneering and insulting you as she reluctantly followed you around, and she wound up getting a lot more depth and funny moments than normal Jeanne ever did, helping develop her character's personality and encourage fanart and stuff. Meanwhile, vanilla Jeanne never developed past being a rather bland goody two shoes, and IIRC she rarely appears after Orleans.

It also helps that she's gotten extra attention recently. One of the most recent story chapters was set in modern day Shinjuku and focused on evil-aligned servants, with Jeanne Alter and Saber Alter getting both major story roles and new outfits.

Solkanar512 posted:

So I've got the bond level of my Herc to level 5, and on the Profile page it says things like, "Bond Level 3 - God Hand Rank: B NP Type: Anti-Personnel, etc". Are these new skills/abilities that are available somewhere or just some sort of background story?

You unlock more parts of a servants profile as you raise a servant's bond to 5. Sometimes it'll be backstory, but often they'll choose an ability or NP or something and give it a description similar to the Fate Stay Night status screens. It's just flavor text, basically. The abilities it describes are usually just the normal passive or active ones. I think Herc's there is specifically one that's in the VN but not reproduced as a playable character because it would be broken as hell. You might see it in the campaign at some point, though.

Endorph posted:

I really wish he went on to ask about Stay Night itself since this interview makes me wonder if he realizes the answer is "no".

Bakanogami fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jul 5, 2017

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
Farming reverse dragon scales without babylon is fun.

Vlad will never be level 70.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RanKizama posted:

Only on Grand Order merch. I saw that in the interview and am still baffled by how utterly clueless they seem to be. This only seems to further prove that "these clowns" is a good way to refer to the team handling the work on this game.
'these clowns' because of a thing that isnt their fault?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

drat I think we screwed up with the whole Quattro Vagina thing, we already have all these games and merchandise made with that name, we cant take it back anymore

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
In between Master buffs, his max Bond CE, and his BC, you can get close to replicating God Hand tho.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Endorph posted:

'these clowns' because of a thing that isnt their fault?
If you can't see the incompetence in the article you just took a snippet from then I've got nothing for you. Granted, that doesn't play into the lovely romanization that was given when the translations for the basic things like loving names were already done by other companies, but it's just another instance in a growing number. It's really not hard to see.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

Stuff in the profile is just lore/fluff so you know more about the Servant.

The God Hand thing in particular is because that was actually Heracles' active Noble Phantasm back in the original F/SN. He's supposed to be too insane as a Berserker to use a technique like Nine Lives in the first place, so his power was an inability to be hurt by any attack lower than A-rank, and 12 lives with adaptive protection so everytime he revives you can't kill him with the same weapon as a previous death.

The really hilarious/horrifying thing is that stock of extra lives would also regenerate over time. So hope you could manage to scrounge up 13 unique top tier attacks within a few days, because otherwise you're going to start losing work done. Alternatively find something so powerful it technically counted as killing him multiple times at once.

Regarding Jeanne Alter's popularity, she's also been known to do some really dumb stuff in order to try and outdo certain characters. A certain Christmas event probably being the shining example. :v:

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!
I hope we get an Alter version of Attila, so then newbies can get endlessly confused about Altria, Altera, Altria Alter and Altera Alter.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Bakanogami posted:

And she's a Ruler

Might wanna change that.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
The retainment of berserker's special skill, speech, and np usage is determined by the rank of the madness enchament. That's the original lore anyway.

Herc can technically pull a 12 lives with his bond CE.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Sophism posted:

I hope we get an Alter version of Attila, so then newbies can get endlessly confused about Altria, Altera, Altria Alter and Altera Alter.

If altera is the destroyer of civilizations wouldn't alter altera be like the creator of civilizations?

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010

Nyaa posted:

The retainment of berserker's special skill, speech, and np usage is determined by the rank of the madness enchament. That's the original lore anyway.

Herc can technically pull a 12 lives with his bond CE.

I love how often they try to subvert it with high levels. Apocrypha Vlad becoming a berserker with EX mad enhancement because he would "have to be mad" to accept his legacy as Dracula is one of my favorite things about FGO. Same with Tamamo Cat being too stupid to realize what should have happened to her.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RanKizama posted:

If you can't see the incompetence in the article you just took a snippet from then I've got nothing for you. Granted, that doesn't play into the lovely romanization that was given when the translations for the basic things like loving names were already done by other companies, but it's just another instance in a growing number. It's really not hard to see.

why are you playing this game anyway, a couple of the girls have muscles

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Endorph posted:

why are you playing this game anyway, a couple of the girls have muscles
Because many of them don't. The ratio is in my favor so I make it work. A lot of them even have big boobs because breast size and revealing attire are directly related to the amount of money people will spend on mobile gachapons.

I may actually spend money to get Bride Nero when she comes out.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
I need more fat sabers please.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I checked, and the Servants that can be fully ascended right now IN THEORY are Arash, Prototype Cu and Jing Ke. I haven't checked the 4-5 stars I don't have so maybe one of those too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RanKizama posted:

Because many of them don't. The ratio is in my favor so I make it work. A lot of them even have big boobs because breast size and revealing attire are directly related to the amount of money people will spend on mobile gachapons.

lol

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

I checked, and the Servants that can be fully ascended right now IN THEORY are Arash, Prototype Cu and Jing Ke. I haven't checked the 4-5 stars I don't have so maybe one of those too.

Quite a few can? Jeanne, Artoria, Herc, Carmilla, Martha, Lancelot, Artoria Alter, Liz, D'Eon, Stheno and Siegfried. I might have missed some.

edit: I'm pretty sure a lot more 1-3*s can be as well - Robin, F/SN Cu and Romulus to name just three - so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

NRVNQSR fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jul 5, 2017

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

RanKizama posted:

I don't really get incompetence from that article. Just re-read it to be sure I didn't miss it. The few translation failures don't really hinder gameplay and you can usually get the story in spite of them. The game's release went well and my 1 complaint is not being able to associate my account with Gplay, something that was never in the JPN version anyway.

Also, a Tsukihime collab would be awesome.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
I downloaded this yesterday and am powering through Orleans at the moment. Fwiw, (not much! :v:) I think the translation is fine overall. It's no worse than many, many other games and at times is actually quite good.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Game: *Few translation errors/decision*

Fan: "MY IMMERSION IS RUINED! I CAN'T LIVE WITH THIS poo poo THAT WILL TORMENT THE DARKEST CORE OF MY SOUL! 1/5 STAR!"

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

uh

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Nyaa posted:

Game: *Few translation errors/decision*

Fan: "MY IMMERSION IS RUINED! I CAN'T LIVE WITH THIS poo poo THAT WILL TORMENT THE DARKEST CORE OF MY SOUL! 1/5 STAR!"

You say that as if some members of fanbases aren't that freaking pathetic.... or you weren't being ironic at all in which case carry on.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

RanKizama posted:

The snippet is quoting Iwakami, who is the president of Aniplex Japan. Extella was made and published by Marvelous and XSEED. Extra and CCC were made by the now defunct Image Epoch, published by Marvelous and in Extra's case localized by Aksys. The core animes have been made by Deen and ufotable.

Marvelous is not related to Aniplex.
Deen and ufotable are not related to Aniplex. (A-1 pictures, which is a currently producing Fate/Apocrypha, is owned by Aniplex)

The dude has no obligation to know what other parties do in association with the actual copyright holders, which is Type-Moon. What incompetence is there?

As for Altria, that is the copyright owner's fault. Whenever Type Moon is directly involved in the production of a work, such as material books, the name is romanized as Altria. We just assume Takeuchi is really enamored with the name. And since he's both the character designer and CEO of the entire company...

Kyte fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 5, 2017

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

NRVNQSR posted:

Quite a few can? Jeanne, Artoria, Herc, Carmilla, Martha, Lancelot, Artoria Alter, Liz, D'Eon, Stheno and Siegfried. I might have missed some.

edit: I'm pretty sure a lot more 1-3*s can be as well - Robin, F/SN Cu and Romulus to name just three - so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Well, I checked the spreadsheet to see what materials could be farmed and then checked to see which Servants used only those materials. Some interludes and story drop materials otherwise not available, I didn't count those.

Edit: Where do you get Snake Jewels? They're not on the spreadsheet.

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 5, 2017

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

Well, I checked the spreadsheet to see what materials could be farmed and then checked to see which Servants used only those materials. Some interludes and story drop materials otherwise not available, I didn't count those.

There's at least one speadsheet going around that only lists Free Quest drop locations and doesn't include the dailys; perhaps you were looking at that one?

edit: Serpent Jewels, Phoenix Plumes, Reverse Scales and Foreign God Hearts should all be available from the Monster Hunting dailys.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

NRVNQSR posted:

There's at least one speadsheet going around that only lists Free Quest drop locations and doesn't include the dailys; perhaps you were looking at that one?

edit: Serpent Jewels, Phoenix Plumes, Reverse Scales and Foreign God Hearts should all be available from the Monster Hunting dailys.

That's it, I was using the wrong spreadsheet. Thanks.

Anyone better than me want to do the real list of fully-upgradeable servants?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Casters definitely have it worst; I think every Caster currently in the game requires Forbidden Pages. Almost every Rider is out too, because Horseshoes.

Speaking of Riders, is Teach actually in the gatcha right now? I've just realised I don't have him and I haven't seen anyone mention him since the NA release. Might he be on hold until Okeanos, like Euryale is?

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

What spreadsheet are you guys talking about? I'd like to see it, trying to figure out an optimal map for dragon fangs sucks.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?

NRVNQSR posted:

Casters definitely have it worst; I think every Caster currently in the game requires Forbidden Pages. Almost every Rider is out too, because Horseshoes.

Speaking of Riders, is Teach actually in the gatcha right now? I've just realised I don't have him and I haven't seen anyone mention him since the NA release. Might he be on hold until Okeanos, like Euryale is?

Teach is in, a friend of mine is using him atm.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

NRVNQSR posted:

Teach is definitely in, I've got like a 3/5 NP one on one account, and I've seen him on several others as well.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
I added myself to the friend spreadsheet. Is it okay to just send requests out or should I just wait and hope some of you take pity on me? :3:

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

RanKizama posted:

you suck rear end

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Dj Meow Mix posted:

What spreadsheet are you guys talking about? I'd like to see it, trying to figure out an optimal map for dragon fangs sucks.

People on Reddit are maintaining a couple of them. There's https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ESPZza5wuy4BY-SXIZJUQPIiVuAi4dcdOpvNgv3II2k/htmlview (as mentioned, first tab doesn't include the dailys - look at the other tabs) and https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_SlTjrVRTgHgfS7sRqx4CeJMqlz687HdSlYqiW-JvQA/htmlview (theoretically more maintained, but has numbers that feel a bit dubious to me).

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Dryzen posted:

you suck rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Dryzen posted:

you suck rear end