Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
To be honest though, the processing power in most of the early consoles was pretty gimped. Doom required a special coprocessing chip to even be possible on the SNES. I've heard a lot of good stuff about the N64 Doom though, what about that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Nullsmack posted:

To be honest though, the processing power in most of the early consoles was pretty gimped. Doom required a special coprocessing chip to even be possible on the SNES. I've heard a lot of good stuff about the N64 Doom though, what about that?

It's a completely different game

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
the toy story fps part on snes put doom to shame, but I guess there's a lot less going on in there

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Nullsmack posted:

N64 Doom is really cool but its really more like a Quake prequel in the Doom engine aesthetically, rather than a straight Doom WAD. Its very cool.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It was a brand new engine too for the SNES port I am reading.

quote:

he game does not use the Doom engine, but features a custom engine, known as the Reality engine, programmed by Randy Linden.

Blame Randy.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Nullsmack posted:

It's the actual Doom 3, there's something in nu Doom that alludes to this. There's a PC source port of it if you want to play it like an older Doom. It's really good, play it.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Zand posted:

the toy story fps part on snes put doom to shame, but I guess there's a lot less going on in there
Assuming you mean SNES Doom, since as cool a level as it was, its level design was basically just Wolfenstein 3D caliber.

Also kinda weird how that stage had a completely different layout in the Genesis version (that wall that moved back and forth of its own accord wasn't present, for one), and apparently was cut out entirely of the PC version (despite PCs being well-known for first-person games at the point that port came out).

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

it kind of amuses me that it took until the loving original Xbox for consoles to get a version of Doom that wasn't gimped in some way or another. a game that a loving 386 could run properly.

Really odd that the Playstation version is messed up. The Playstation and Saturn had games like PowerSlave/Exhumed and I don't think Doom really does anything technically more complicated.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I started playing Digital Devil Saga, pretty wicked so far. Some of the oddest music Ive heard in a SMT game, stuff like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNZcHrpX3eQ kinda clashes with the visual tone of the locations but whatever. Its still rad

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Captain Rufus posted:

Luckily my snes mouse is in solid condition and I know how to keep my balls and rollers clean so I don't completely need that sweet looking optical mouse. Nope. Don't need it. Not at all. :negative:

If you're a retro collector, isn't $20 like toilet paper to you anyway?

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Anyone here happen to use the newer Xbox version of the Hori Fighting Commander?

I'm debating either that or a Buffalo SNES controller as a dedicated pad for pre-analog stick emulation. The Hori's six face buttons are appealing for Sega games, and the Xinput toggle seems handy. The Buffalo is much cheaper and highly recommended, aside from phantom input problems that appear to be contained to Retropie (I'm using PC).

I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything before I pick one.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Charles Get-Out posted:

Really odd that the Playstation version is messed up. The Playstation and Saturn had games like PowerSlave/Exhumed and I don't think Doom really does anything technically more complicated.

The PSX version is okay, don't get me wrong; it's just missing levels, and I really don't like the ambient soundtrack compared to the classics.

e: there's absolutely no excuse for the Saturn port being as hosed as it is though.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Anyone here happen to use the newer Xbox version of the Hori Fighting Commander?

I'm debating either that or a Buffalo SNES controller as a dedicated pad for pre-analog stick emulation. The Hori's six face buttons are appealing for Sega games, and the Xinput toggle seems handy. The Buffalo is much cheaper and highly recommended, aside from phantom input problems that appear to be contained to Retropie (I'm using PC).

I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything before I pick one.

I have the buffalo SNES pad but it's not really very high quality. It looks good but the buttons stick after using it a lot.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Speaking of all of the doom stuff, this guy has made some really impressive Genesis things, like Wolfenstein running on a Genesis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NqjQf-xr-g

And a "mode 7" clone in software:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwW5y4rrvwk

Oh and starfox:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUZpF2JLF4s

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

falz posted:

Speaking of all of the doom stuff, this guy has made some really impressive Genesis things, like Wolfenstein running on a Genesis:

Oh and starfox:

Geometric scaling is a place where the Genesis's superior processor helps it.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

falz posted:

Oh and starfox:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeGdJk5zb6c

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Dire Dire Docks in Starfox? :raise:

falz posted:

The frame rate is super impressive but there's some bug in his texture mapping code, those grey lines everywhere look awful.

Possibly a concession for speed but not worth it.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

The frame rate is super impressive but there's some bug in his texture mapping code, those grey lines everywhere look awful.

Possibly a concession for speed but not worth it.

It's a cheat to eke out extra colour when outputting in composite video. The lines disappear when doing this, most modern genesis emulators have it as an option (usually marked as a CVBS or Composite filter).

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

SwissCM posted:

It's a cheat to eke out extra colour when outputting in composite video. The lines disappear when doing this, most modern genesis emulators have it as an option (usually marked as a CVBS or Composite filter).

Ah I see, like dithering.

Reminds me of the CGA graphics thing that blew my mind: https://youtu.be/niKblgZupOc?t=5m9s

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
What the best method for Gameboy/GBC/GBA on the tv? I would just say Gameboy Player, but the component price for the Gamecube hurts. Wideboy 64 would be nice, but it even more expensive then the component cables. Which leaves the Super Gameboy, which is cheap but only suports the original Gameboy and a handful of GBC games.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Yeah the Super Gameboy will play black GBC carts just like a normal OG Gameboy, but you don't actually get GBC colour. You're right that it's the Gameboy Player... but maybe just save yourself the cash and get a DS Lite unless you absolutely have to have it on the TV.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Retron 5 will do it.

You can mod a GBA for tv-out but you're gonna have to find some weird unit and then either install it yourself or get somebody to, for who knows how much.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

If you use a Retron 5 then you're already using pirated software at which point you might as well just emulate the things on a PC, more accurately at that.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

dishwasherlove posted:

Yeah the Super Gameboy will play black GBC carts just like a normal OG Gameboy, but you don't actually get GBC colour. You're right that it's the Gameboy Player... but maybe just save yourself the cash and get a DS Lite unless you absolutely have to have it on the TV.

The DS can't play GB or GBC cartridges.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Whoops, sorry. For some reason confused it with the GBA SP. It's clamshell design all the way down.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Isn't there some GB/GBC/GBA playing handheld thing coming out this year? Does it have a video out?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Zaphod42 posted:

Ah I see, like dithering.

Reminds me of the CGA graphics thing that blew my mind: https://youtu.be/niKblgZupOc?t=5m9s

I love this guy and have been trying to find him again forever! Thank you!

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Rirse posted:

What the best method for Gameboy/GBC/GBA on the tv? I would just say Gameboy Player, but the component price for the Gamecube hurts. Wideboy 64 would be nice, but it even more expensive then the component cables. Which leaves the Super Gameboy, which is cheap but only suports the original Gameboy and a handful of GBC games.

If you skip the disc, you can usually get the Gameboy Player itself for fairly cheap, then get something like the SD Media Launcher and Game Boy Interface.

Works great, nice and smooth 240p off the TV, allows you to play some homebrew stuff. :v:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Revo K101 does video out and plays GBA games and GB/GBC games from the SD card.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Retro Freak also for top tier clone gaming that includes your PC Engine.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

In Training posted:

I started playing Digital Devil Saga, pretty wicked so far. Some of the oddest music Ive heard in a SMT game, stuff like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNZcHrpX3eQ kinda clashes with the visual tone of the locations but whatever. Its still rad

the level up music in that game is one of my favorite tracks out of any game ever https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAYS8QTjnfg

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Honestly, I only know of one track from that game, but it's hard to top Minnesota Fats: Pool Legend

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

The Machine posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_NES_Mouse

The list of SNES Mouse-compatible games is way larger than I thought.

No way, I had no idea. Definitely getting one if it reviews well.

Bob from retro-rgb should have one soon and said he'll cover it.

Zaphod42 posted:

N64 Doom is really cool but its really more like a Quake prequel in the Doom engine aesthetically, rather than a straight Doom WAD. Its very cool.

Yeah Doom on the N64 ruled, I want a version of that for Dolphin or whatever with a higher framerate

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There's a reverse-engineered version of Doom 64 for PC called Doom64 EX that does everything you'd want it to do.

The same guy behind that port also spearheaded the recent PC ports of Turok and Turok 2 which are similarly great - Turok 2 in particular is a much improved game thanks to him and his team.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

A few years back I looked into hacking SNES Sim City to enable mouse support but because I r dumb I couldn't really figure out how to do it, assembly is somewhat beyond my understanding. Something I did discover is that the cursor in the game does seem to work normally when you edit it's memory values to control it's position directly, so I would think it'd be relatively trivial to implement for someone more skilled at that sort of thing.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mak0rz posted:

It seems not even SimCity 2000 has mouse support :psyduck:

Hell, SimCity 2000 for the SNES barely runs. If you want to play SimCity 2000 on console, you really want the PlayStation 1/Saturn port or SimCity 64 for the N64 DD. The GBA port is also fine, but the resolution cramping really hurts it and it's only worth having as a novelty while the PSX/SAT is enjoyable on its own terms, and the 64 DD version is like a step beyond with stuff from SimCopter and such incorporated in.

And while we're at it, I do believe SimCity 64 handles the N64 DD Mouse at the same time as a controller, and the PlayStation 1 port supports the PS1 Mouse for sure.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

honestly most of the ports of Doom on consoles are janky in one way or another. PSX and SNES are the best pre-Xbox ones (the Xbox being the first "perfect" Doom port on consoles), but PSX has a weird soundtrack and some jank with the level order, and SNES runs at 5fps and is outright missing a couple levels.

if you wanna play Doom in 2017 just get the PC version and GZDoom (or Eternity if you're dying to use a controller and have splitscreen)

All of the pre-Xbox Doom ports were missing levels. This lovely old page has an in-depth comparison of the differences http://www.classicdoom.com/doomcomp.htm#ta , but basically:
The original PC Doom has 27 maps in it. For the console versions that ported original DOOM:
Jaguar has 22 maps that are recognizable from the original, out of 24 total maps (i.e. they made 2 new maps. 3DO Doom copies that mapset exactly, so also 22 and 24. GBA Doom copies the mapset exactly, but adds 8 more levels that are exclusively for multiplayer - 32 total maps.
SNES Doom has a different 22 maps, and only has those 22 maps.
32X Doom has the fewest maps: there's only 17 total! All of these maps are ones that are present in Jaguar/3DO/GBA levelsets

The Ultimate Doom added 9 more maps so it has 36 maps in it. PSX and Saturn Doom used the same level set, and for their Doom 1 portions they pulled from the Jaguar level set plus some Ultimate Doom levels. So, they both have 28 Ultimate Doom levels in a recognizable form from the 36 original.

Doom 2 had 32 levels.
The PSX and Saturn had 23 of those levels in recognizable form. The GBA version had 30 levels as they were in the original Doom 2, and then 4 levels made out of splitting up 2 of the original levels (so that they wouldn't cause rendering issues).

So basically, for levels it goes from least to most:
32X 17
SNES 22
Jaguar/3DO/GBA 24 (with 8 extra levels for GBA that don't really count)
PSX/Saturn with 59 total levels, 51 of which are from the original games. And even if you just count Doom 1 levels, it's still like 29 total levels.

The 32X has the worst audio, the least levels, and almost the worst rendering quality. It's hands down the worst version to play.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

it kind of amuses me that it took until the loving original Xbox for consoles to get a version of Doom that wasn't gimped in some way or another. a game that a loving 386 could run properly.

Eh, consoles were underpowered for the way Doom worked up until the N64 really, especially the first wave of ports (you could have made the Saturn and PSX run the levels a lot better, but it would have required major work to convert things to a different engine, and also to optimize that engine to handle all the original levels instead of cut down ones), and then the N64 version decided to be its own new game with new enemies and levels and weapons so you can't really judge it as a port. 3DO port could have run a lot better, but famously the person assigned to port it was only given like 6 weeks and a limited budget because their management didn't understand how much time a proper port needs.

Dreamcast would have run it great in 1998, but it never got ported there, it would have just looked too old.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

In Training posted:

Let us know when you get to DDS2 :munch::allears:.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Hot take: the 32x version of Doom is fine and plays better than the SNES version because it runs at a way higher framerate and without the massive input delay that happens on the SNES version. Also the 32x's poor rendition of the songs is better than the tepid remixes of the SNES version.

Really if you want to play an old console version of Doom in 2017 you should probably just play the PSX version or just deal with (g)zdoom.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Elliotw2 posted:

Also the 32x's poor rendition of the songs is better than the tepid remixes of the SNES version.

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Elliotw2 posted:

Hot take: the 32x version of Doom is fine and plays better than the SNES version because it runs at a way higher framerate and without the massive input delay that happens on the SNES version. Also the 32x's poor rendition of the songs is better than the tepid remixes of the SNES version.

Really if you want to play an old console version of Doom in 2017 you should probably just play the PSX version or just deal with (g)zdoom.

So you have a fart fetish?

• Locked thread