Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

quote:

Captain Blackadder: You see, Baldrick, in order to prevent war two great super-armies developed. Us, the Russians and the French on one side, Germany and Austro-Hungary on the other. The idea being that each army would act as the other's deterrent. That way, there could never be a war.

Private Baldrick: Except, this is sort of a war, isn't it?

Captain Blackadder: That's right. There was one tiny flaw in the plan.

Lieutenant George: O, what was that?

Captain Blackadder: It was bollocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I am dumb. But not that dumb.

I know USA is fighting the right war here.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.

Tei posted:

These missiles are defensive.

USA have a lot of them, in the hands of a person with a narcissist disorder, and we don't see people around scared of nukes.

North Korea is not going to fire a nuke at San Francisco has soon they can. Nations want nukes, because the moment you have nukes, you can do whatever you please without getting invaded.

Nuclear power is not going to be more expensive and harder to recreate in the future, but easier. Every nation that want nukes will have nukes. So every nation will end having nukes.

But, of course, USA is fighting against the proliferation of nukes. USA defend the idea that "if everyone have gunsnukes, accidents are more prone to happen".

USA believe that is a bad thing if everyone have gunsnukes, and defend that idea. Is kind of "don't do what I do" kind of moral position..

As of 2010, 22% of American adults own a gun according to the Pew Research Center and it's dropping dramatically so probably less now.

Contrary to popular belief, the US isn't comprised of a single entity that calls for guns for everyone while also making geopolitical decision.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Not comprised of, but pretty much ruled by.

Someone post the graph where "Steve" has 10 nukes within a margin of error.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The only way to prevent a bad guy with a Death Star is a good guy with a Death Star. :colbert:

Also, the second amendment protects the right for me to own recreational nukes. :ancap:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

wide stance posted:

As of 2010, 22% of American adults own a gun according to the Pew Research Center and it's dropping dramatically so probably less now.

Contrary to popular belief, the US isn't comprised of a single entity that calls for guns for everyone while also making geopolitical decision.

It's also something hillariously skewed within that 22%. The vast majority of people with guns? 1 or 2 guns, usually a pistol or a standard long rifle, occasionally an heirloom from family. Then there's something like 5% that have a lot more guns, because the average amount guns someone who owns any guns at all owns i 4, because that last 5% of 22% really pulls up the average the way CEO salaries pull up the average for salaries in general.

There's people with tens of thousands of guns personally in there. It's wild. And that's how you end up with there being more guns than there are Americans in America, yet most people aren't armed at all.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

wide stance posted:

lmao and there's one gun for every person in the united states

That 22% has a metric fuckton of guns, each

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

On the other hand, you have to consider that if you called up a not-insignificant portion of gun owners on the phone and asked them if they own guns, they'd say they don't. :tinfoil:

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

It's also something hillariously skewed within that 22%. The vast majority of people with guns? 1 or 2 guns, usually a pistol or a standard long rifle, occasionally an heirloom from family. Then there's something like 5% that have a lot more guns, because the average amount guns someone who owns any guns at all owns i 4, because that last 5% of 22% really pulls up the average the way CEO salaries pull up the average for salaries in general.

There's people with tens of thousands of guns personally in there. It's wild. And that's how you end up with there being more guns than there are Americans in America, yet most people aren't armed at all.

So what you are saying is that the glock of you all keep under your pillow is a rental??

Seriously though, the stats are also not fully descriptive of the real numbers vs the stereotype because it probably only count handguns and not all firearms. It also does not include the population that do not own a gun themselves but live in a household where there is a firearm present.

If you look at firearm ownership it is 30% over the whole population and if you use the household criteria above the number shoot above 40%, how far above 40% depend on if you include guns stored in other properties etc.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/06/22/key-takeaways-on-americans-views-of-guns-and-gun-ownership/psdt_2017-06-22-guns-00-11/

Also, the true gun nut percentage is around 3% in the population, as this is the percentage that owns 50% of the guns.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/sep/19/us-gun-ownership-survey

Zudgemud fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jul 6, 2017

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Spoeank posted:

lmao and there's one gun for every person in the united states

That 22% has a metric fuckton of guns, each

and it's not like that 22% all has an even 5, half of that probably has 1 or 2 pushing up the numbers of the other half even more.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
e - nvm

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Is it weird that the main thing I notice about this map is that IT'S SLOVENIA DAMMIT!

I'm not from a Balkan country either.

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

Koramei posted:

e^: are you sure? I'd expect that would make the negative opinions dramatically higher in lots of the countries that score the lowest on that map.

Japan, China and India at ~20%? Why?

Japanese antisemitism is a strange thing - for a long time, the country's only significant exposure to Jews was through literature; first a translation of The Merchant of Venice, and then through Nazi-era treatises on racial science. The result was that the perfidious Jewish banker was a recognized figure, but its impact was more or less confined to the imagination, since there were very few real Jews about. The odd thing is, somehow, even when the Japanese encountered Jewish refugees in occupied Chinese territory, they seemed not to translate the figure into real people. These poor people clearly weren't the Zionist conspiracy, so who cares, let them be. And some of that has stuck around even in the aftermath of the war, though it certainly declined - you get "yes, the Jewish World Conspiracy is real and threatening, but my Jewish neighbor is actually a nice guy." There's a decent book on in, Jews in the Japanese Mind, which is kind of a fascinating case study about what happens when you have racist ideas circulating without anyone around to be the real object of that racism.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Also, during the interwar years, the a lot of influential Japanese officials read The Protocols of the Elders of Zion (an infamous hoax plan for Jewish world domination) and rather taking away the intended message of "the Jews are dangerous," they instead went "wow, these Jews are really powerful, we'd better get them on our side" and the result of that was allowing a lot of Jewish settlement in Japanese-occupied territories.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Many people have this idea that part of the identity of the jew is "chosen people" (I am not educated enough to know if is true or not). Is a idea that clash with almost any other identity. Because if these dudes are the chosen one who are we? trash?.

Humans are flawed, can't stop being jealous like a dog can't stop moving his tail. You can cut a dog his tail, but he still move it (the muscles, what is left of the tail).

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Pakled posted:

Also, during the interwar years, the a lot of influential Japanese officials read The Protocols of the Elders of Zion (an infamous hoax plan for Jewish world domination) and rather taking away the intended message of "the Jews are dangerous," they instead went "wow, these Jews are really powerful, we'd better get them on our side" and the result of that was allowing a lot of Jewish settlement in Japanese-occupied territories.

This will never not be funny to me.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I mean who wants to be on Illuminati's bad side?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tei posted:

Many people have this idea that part of the identity of the jew is "chosen people" (I am not educated enough to know if is true or not). Is a idea that clash with almost any other identity. Because if these dudes are the chosen one who are we? trash?.

Humans are flawed, can't stop being jealous like a dog can't stop moving his tail. You can cut a dog his tail, but he still move it (the muscles, what is left of the tail).

It's literally the same as American exceptionalism only older and (I think) less popular - because about 100% of Americans think America is somehow exceptional in many if not all ways.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Private Speech posted:

Is it weird that the main thing I notice about this map is that IT'S SLOVENIA DAMMIT!

I'm not from a Balkan country either.

:same:

Also I can see skipping Lichtenstein and Andorra, but where's Montenegro? :iiam:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Jerry Cotton posted:

It's literally the same as American exceptionalism only older and (I think) less popular - because about 100% of Americans think America is somehow exceptional in many if not all ways.
Umm, I think you'll find that America's exceptionalism is different and unique in its own way!

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
America is a very special country.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
American exceptionalism is european ego - the desire to kill our neighbors 24/7.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Peanut President posted:

American exceptionalism is european ego - the desire to kill our neighbors 24/7.

My neighbour is really cute though.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

So what is this actually a map of, then? And why is there a green half to the legend if there's not actually any green on the map?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

AgentF posted:

So what is this actually a map of, then? And why is there a green half to the legend if there's not actually any green on the map?

Global warming is why

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I think "terrestrial water storage" is referring to aquifers and thus it's a map of ground subsidence due to water extraction.

E: Searched the map and apparently it's variation in gravity due to drought conditions in the middle east. They use weird units based on the mass of a layer of water over the surface. So the gravity detector satellites have worked out that at the spot in Egypt, there's less mass there. If you imagine that there was a 30cm layer of water over the area that was taken away, that's how much water they've lost. The two Gravity satellites are called Tom and Jerry. Just thought you'd like to know.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 7, 2017

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.

Peanut President posted:

Luckily, it's hard to fulfill this European bloodlust when your neighbors are the oceans, Canada, and Mexico. So blasé. I was listening to Dan Carlin and the schizophrenic nature of the US's foreign policy pretty consistently since 1898 is a lot more complicated than people like to posture toward and meme about.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Tei posted:

The traditional Jewish view of that is that they have a special contractual relationship with God in which they have certain extra responsibilities and if they fulfill them, they'll be rewarded and if they don't fulfill them, punished harsher than people outside the covenant. In the traditional Jewish view, the path for a non-Jew to achieve "Righteous Gentile" status is very easy (basically mostly involving refraining from outright insulting God), while Jews themselves are held to far higher standards by the faith.

It's the reason why Jews are supposed to be so cautionary to people who want to convert into the faith. The line is that God is probably already more or less cool with you the way you are now as a Gentile, but if you become a Jew, God's standards for you are going to be a lot higher. Are you really OK with signing up for that?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Thats sounds just geeky cool. Maybe judaism is a geeky religion all around. If I not where atheist, I would be jew for the cool factor of it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Patter Song posted:

The traditional Jewish view of that is that they have a special contractual relationship with God in which they have certain extra responsibilities and if they fulfill them, they'll be rewarded and if they don't fulfill them, punished harsher than people outside the covenant. In the traditional Jewish view, the path for a non-Jew to achieve "Righteous Gentile" status is very easy (basically mostly involving refraining from outright insulting God), while Jews themselves are held to far higher standards by the faith.

It's the reason why Jews are supposed to be so cautionary to people who want to convert into the faith. The line is that God is probably already more or less cool with you the way you are now as a Gentile, but if you become a Jew, God's standards for you are going to be a lot higher. Are you really OK with signing up for that?

This is pretty much right (of course like any religion it depends when/who you ask.) Jews very much believe we are the "chosen" people, but that's not to say we are superior or even blessed or lucky. We're here to do this poo poo so you don't have to, and God gets it. Most people are not jews because jewing sucks, and God wants you to be happy.

In fact God even gets that jews are still dumb humans, which is why the religion is cool with rules-lawyering crap like turning all of Manhattan into a "private residence" or inventing a special sort of light switch so we can live normal modern first-world lives and still be Shabbat-compliant. Unlike a lot of modern christians and muslims (though certainly not all), judaism also has a long and vibrant tradition of almost all religious laws being worth breaking if it prevents harm to yourself or others, saves your own or another's life, or if you're tricked into doing it. I think islam actually has that too, sort of. IE it's cool to eat non-kosher if you're starving. It's forgiveable to deny God if being jewish means the SS will shoot up your family. You don't go to hell because GI Jackass shot you with special-ordered bullets with imbedded pork fat. A jewish firefighter can respond to an emergency on the sabbath.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 7, 2017

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

This is an interactive one. Draw the 50 states from memory, one by one, and it'll make a map of the US. Here's my pitiful attempt.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

edit: if in doubt, the state's probably a square.

HookShot fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jul 7, 2017

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I forgot Wisconsin was a state, and the app ate upstate NY for some reason.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Craptacular posted:

This is an interactive one. Draw the 50 states from memory, one by one, and it'll make a map of the US. Here's my pitiful attempt.

That was fun. Shame I'm not from US.

Is there one for countries? I'd love to try.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Please note I'm left-handed and using a mouse with my right hand. Also if you draw a glans on the end of Florida's dong it docks you points.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Oh, this thing is fun.

I got Montana backwards :shobon:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

In fact God even gets that jews are still dumb humans, which is why the religion is cool with rules-lawyering crap

The Babylonian Talmud: Baba Mezia 59B posted:

Why [the oven of] 'Aknai? — Said Rab Judah in Samuel's name: [It means] that they encompassed it with arguments2  as a snake, and proved it unclean. It has been taught: On that day R. Eliezer brought forward every imaginable argument,3  but they did not accept them. Said he to them: 'If the halachah agrees with me, let this carob-tree prove it!' Thereupon the carob-tree was torn a hundred cubits out of its place — others affirm, four hundred cubits. 'No proof can be brought from a carob-tree,' they retorted. Again he said to them: 'If the halachah agrees with me, let the stream of water prove it!' Whereupon the stream of water flowed backwards — 'No proof can be brought from a stream of water,' they rejoined. Again he urged: 'If the halachah agrees with me, let the walls of the schoolhouse prove it,' whereupon the walls inclined to fall. But R. Joshua rebuked them, saying: 'When scholars are engaged in a halachic dispute, what have ye to interfere?' Hence they did not fall, in honour of R. Joshua, nor did they resume the upright, in honour of R. Eliezer; and they are still standing thus inclined. Again he said to them: 'If the halachah agrees with me, let it be proved from Heaven!' Whereupon a Heavenly Voice cried out: 'Why do ye dispute with R. Eliezer, seeing that in all matters the halachah agrees with him!' But R. Joshua arose and exclaimed: 'It is not in heaven.'4  What did he mean by this? — Said R. Jeremiah: That the Torah had already been given at Mount Sinai; we pay no attention to a Heavenly Voice, because Thou hast long since written in the Torah at Mount Sinai, After the majority must one incline.5

R. Nathan met Elijah6  and asked him: What did the Holy One, Blessed be He, do in that hour? — He laughed [with joy], he replied, saying, 'My sons have defeated Me, My sons have defeated Me.'

The story goes on to say that Rabbi Eliezer ends up excommunicated and gets a cool X-Men-style power where everything he looks at is destroyed and ends up slaying Rabbi Gamaliel by accident. (The Talmud can get really strange sometimes)

But yeah, that is a story from the Talmud, a book chronicling running arguments by Jewish scholars over the course of 400 years about what exactly Jewish laws mean, in which Rabbi Eliezer gets God Himself to say "Eliezer's right" and Rabbi Joshua basically responds "No, you had your chance at Sinai to give laws, your time is over, it's our turn now" and God's like "OK."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Patter Song posted:

The story goes on to say that Rabbi Eliezer ends up excommunicated and gets a cool X-Men-style power where everything he looks at is destroyed and ends up slaying Rabbi Gamaliel by accident. (The Talmud can get really strange sometimes)

But yeah, that is a story from the Talmud, a book chronicling running arguments by Jewish scholars over the course of 400 years about what exactly Jewish laws mean, in which Rabbi Eliezer gets God Himself to say "Eliezer's right" and Rabbi Joshua basically responds "No, you had your chance at Sinai to give laws, your time is over, it's our turn now" and God's like "OK."

That is pretty hilarious as it sounds like God being like:

G: "guys that is not at all what I meant you are misinterpreting what I sai..."

R: "SHUT UP, YOU WROTE THIS poo poo NOW OWN IT"

G: "fine, yes, I used those words, go ahead, take it literally and go gently caress things up like you always do... god drat kids these days"