Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Kellsterik posted:

I can't decide whether surviving to become the PM of a Japanese client state is a happy ending for Lu Xun or not. His death grudge against Japan as the enemy of China happened during the Russo-Japanese War, which I think still went off normally in the Kaiserreich timeline.

Yeah, things change in January 1917, when Germany decides not to resume unrestricted submarine warfare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

D

We don't need the extra dissent for negligible benefits. Let's focus on loving up the Indians first.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

D

We have other priorities. I am much more concerned about the Union of Britain and Germany than a few Chinese backwaters.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
C

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
D

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Kellsterik posted:

I can't decide whether surviving to become the PM of a Japanese client state is a happy ending for Lu Xun or not. His death grudge against Japan as the enemy of China happened during the Russo-Japanese War, which I think still went off normally in the Kaiserreich timeline.

China's an independent ally, not a client state. He might still be upset about owing the Japanese for that, I guess.

C. Since we've decided not to crush it, China will grow larger whether we like it or not, so we might as well stay on their good side.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

D/B, not worth the Dissent hit but Yunnan is expendable.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
D for now - make promises and hedge bets and give the Chinese a promise of aid after we take care of business with the Communists

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
A, B, D

I support helping our allies in Beijing, but there's a limit to our capabilities.

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.
D, B

China already threatens generations of Japanese gains. A strong China can do more than make threats.

If they require placation, a mountainous backwater will do. It might even have the benefit of tying up their forces in extended mountain warfare. Even if they are wildly successful, it will at least open another front with the Commune.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Going with this.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
D, B.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
C

If we just up and stop helping out our frighteningly large pal in getting even larger, they won't like us as much anymore. And if they stop liking us as much, they might notice that they can whoop our rear end. We're too far in to stop now!

Also, holy hell, finally caught up on this LP. This is amazing stuff.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
D. Already too strong, let us not further strengthen our inevitable regional rivals.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

BDAC. Yunnan's worthless mountains would certainly slow the growth of China, but why give up the friendly Legation Ports to a rapidly growing power that may get too big for its britches?

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013
D United China is not the correct way to prepare for the future.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

C.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
D B

Making China strong is wise. Making China the strongest is not.

If they insist then let them dash themselves upon the rocky hills.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Don't give China more land

Sanzh
Mar 6, 2013
D B

We're already fighting a three-front war, don't add a fourth.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
A: 3
B: 3
C: 9
D: 16

With a first round majority, the Shadow Council elects to do nothing.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

This is a mistake. Once the war is over, the Chinese -- no matter how democratic -- are going to want to reclaim what is theirs. If we stand in their way, we'll have made foes out of friends.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Roleplaying-wise I'd agree, but the game will let us wait. Fengtian is on borrowed time no matter what we do.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Drone posted:

This is a mistake. Once the war is over, the Chinese -- no matter how democratic -- are going to want to reclaim what is theirs. If we stand in their way, we'll have made foes out of friends.

Unless China makes some sort of great leap forward in regards to their postwar industry, we should not be concerned by them.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I've been quiet for the Japan run, but I have to say, seeing the thread go all-in to rebuild China only to now be terrified of the nation that they helped restore is pretty amazing.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Who knows what happens with the NPA, but I'm confident a democratic, strong China will be able to negotiate the return of the Legation Cities in the post war settlement.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I've been quiet for the Japan run, but I have to say, seeing the thread go all-in to rebuild China only to now be terrified of the nation that they helped restore is pretty amazing.

Honestly seems historically plausible.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Drone posted:

From a RP perspective nobody has suggested getting in China's way though, only whether to stick our necks out for their benefit. If China had decided to reclaim its territories on its own initiative and asked for Japanese support I think the vote would turn out much differently.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

From a RP perspective nobody has suggested getting in China's way though, only whether to stick our necks out for their benefit. If China had decided to reclaim its territories on its own initiative and asked for Japanese support I think the vote would turn out much differently.

This, definitely. Trying to reclaim these Chinese territories at this juncture would involve a lot of dissent on OUR end and a lot of putting our rep on the line. That's really what's at the heart of the debate for me.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
Part Twelve: Madison and Roosevelt’s Worst Nightmares Put Together (America: Winter of 1939)

The destruction of numerous syndicalist divisions along the Oklahoma-Texas border gave the Entente the decisive advantage in the Lower Mississippi region.

With the war in Europe taking a turn in favor of the syndicalists, some of the Reed regime’s European allies sent assistance, but none, barring the British, came close to matching the level of support the Japanese were providing. The lone Dutch division that arrived in Louisiana to assist the Americans was welcome, but not nearly enough.

The Japanese seized New Orleans after a brief battle against the Dutch-American defenders.

Rather than turning north to pursue the retreating defenders, the Japanese moved further east, intent on capturing any port that could be used to deliver further European supplies and reinforcements.

~*~*~

Meanwhile in the Northeast, the Japanese were coming up against spirited resistance in Baltimore, a city with more syndicalist sympathies, and thus more civilian support for the enemy, than the Deep South.

The cavalry could have overrun the city through their superior numbers in time, but military command ordered them to call off the attack and wait for further assistance.

That assistance came in the form of JEF-AC, redeployed from New Brunswick, where the British had been bottled up in Nova Scotia. Entente military command had elected for the Japanese mobile assets to be used to capture the remaining industrial centers of the Entente as well as their secondary capital in Washington.

This time the battle went more in favor of the Japanese.

The Japanese cavalry were more mobile than anything the syndicalists had, and after the capture of Baltimore, one of the corps quickly ran around Washington and seized the western bank of the Potomac, surrounding Washington.

~*~*~

The effort to capture the syndicalists industrial heartland was conducted along two axes. The Japanese cavalry attacked along the New York-Washington corridor, while JEF-MW, fresh off the capture of Chicago, was tasked with assaulting the syndicalist heartland from the west.

Before the Japanese could feel secure about moving east towards Ohio and Pittsburgh, they needed to establish total control over the strategically important junction of the Ohio, Tennessee and Mississippi rivers.

With Canadian forces having captured Kentucky and Japanese forces Indiana, the remaining syndicalists in southern Illinois found themselves surrounded and surrendered after a short battle.

With that job done, the Japanese could now focus upon Ohio.

With syndicalist attention focused against the Japanese invasion of the Mid-Atlantic and the New York/Michigan front that had been raging since the war’s beginning, only poorly trained and undermanned militia units defended Cincinnati. Columbus was similarly poorly defended, and Cleveland was assaulted by Canadian cavalry rounding Lake Erie out of Michigan.

Ohio was under control, and now Pittsburgh, the great American steel city, was about to fall.

~*~*~

Of their original heartland, the syndicalists had lost all but a narrow band of Appalachian towns in the center of Pennsylvania.

Many syndicalists hoped that the Appalachians could be a redoubt for the movement, where they could hold out long enough for European assistance to arrive in greater force.

However, the syndicalists were spread too thinly, and the rapid advance of Japanese and Canadian forces prevented them from digging into potentially highly defensible positions in West Virginia.

Three syndicalist divisions were trapped in the Delmarva peninsula, retreating all the way south to Cape Charles, where they were captured, almost able to see the great American naval base of Norfolk.

That base would then also fall, driving the American Navy from their most important supply base.

The coastal plains of North Carolina fell with ease, and the remaining syndicalist forces in Virginia fled in the face of overwhelming Canadian strength from northern Virginia.

~*~*~

After so many defeats, the syndicalists were now forced to base themselves out of Atlanta, home base of their bitter enemy, the American Union State.

With the loss of the Gulf Coast and the Mid-Atlantic, the syndicalists only had a few major cities left, ones that were mostly hostile to their cause just a few years earlier.

The Japanese cavalry, newly semi-motorized, was eager to test out its new equipment and elected to leave the enemy in Wilmington to the slower Canadian forces following behind. Instead, the South Carolina coast, and generally the road to Florida and Miami, was their goal.

One old Southern port town after another fell to the Japanese.

The Japanese infantry, meanwhile, moved from Mobile northeast to Atlanta.

There they came upon General Aalto, tasked with defending the third and final capital of the Combined Syndicates of America.

Some government officials had fled to Miami, perhaps hoping to flee to Mexico or Centroamerica. The Japanese cavalry moved rapidly down the Atlantic coast of Florida, preventing any hope of Miami becoming a fourth capital.

Indeed, most of the Reed regime had already fled to France, and the few rabid defenders left stayed to defend Atlanta, a city that had seen the demise of three Lost Causes to date.

Miami did not have such a dramatic last pitched battle. Instead the enemy there was not prepared for a serious assault by land.

Both cities fell, leaving the most diehard defenders backed up against the Gulf Coast of Florida.

For all intents and purposes, the Combined Syndicates was dead.

The British expeditionary force in Tampa continued to fight on, as did the Dutch in Pensacola.

The British hoped to be evacuated, not home to Britain, but to Atlantic Canada. The Europeans had all but won their war against Germany, and so further British reinforcements were sent to Nova Scotia and busted out, once again reaching Maine.

Japanese forces were once again deployed to New England, where this time there were no distractions. The British would be thrown into the sea, once and for all.

The British incursion in Atlantic Canada notwithstanding, the Entente was treating the war in America as finished. The United States was re-established, and the Midwestern states elected to rejoin the union as opposed to staying with the Pacific States. While there were questions about the status of New England, or if the Pacific States proper would rejoin the Union, or what would be done about the Mexican occupation of the Southwest, there was peace, and the Entente had secured a continent for itself.

No votes, as the next update is contemporaneous and covers events in Asia and the world at large.

csm141 fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jul 15, 2017

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

We had such beautiful borders in the west and that event RUINED them. Death to the Mexicans. Forward, pretty borders!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Well, that's it for the rest of the world. We have the USA now, we win.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
War against Mexico to fix the borders when?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Who is president of these United States?

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug

QuoProQuid posted:

Admiral Yamamoto.

I forgot to look, I'll let you know.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug

QuoProQuid posted:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

oh no

it wasn't worth it :negative:

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it

President Alf

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

The hair shows it to be true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Landon isn't that bad for a Republican, but I get the feeling he isn't running the show