Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Bisse posted:

to be fair davy back was nice as a short lighthearted arc in-between to huge ones.

The fakehats were the example of that not the Davy back bullshit fights they were downright dumb especially since you knew what was going to happen the entire time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

The joke is Ace doesn't know how to spell his own name. The twist is that Ace was in on the joke. The crossed out s is both a self deprecating joke and a tribute to Sabo.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

EmmyOk posted:

There is a theory that it stands for all of them

Ace
Sabo
Crybaby
Edward

Which is quite shoddy but I like. Ace could also be illiterate or unable to spell his own name because he never needed to really.

Weird theory that suggests that Ace knew the future but still fought Whitebeard with that tat and still died at Marineford.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Veskit posted:

The fakehats were the example of that not the Davy back bullshit fights they were downright dumb especially since you knew what was going to happen the entire time

Groggy Monsters was seriously good stuff and I really enjoyed Nami not being tricked by any of the fake outs during the race. Im a big fan of stupid gags though

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Gyges posted:

Weird theory that suggests that Ace knew the future but still fought Whitebeard with that tat and still died at Marineford.
If you look at chapter 557 he's missing the tattoo when he's recruited by Whitebeard but has it right after becoming part of the crew. There could be some sense in that.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Could have sworn he had the tat when he faced off against Jinbe.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

In Chapter 552 he has it when attempting to assassinate Whitebeard but not while fighting Jinbei because Oda forgets sometimes

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

EmmyOk posted:

In Chapter 552 he has it when attempting to assassinate Whitebeard but not while fighting Jinbei because Oda forgets sometimes

This is pretty much the job of his assistants besides drawing backgrounds sometimes, apparently

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

anime was right posted:

This is pretty much the job of his assistants besides drawing backgrounds sometimes, apparently

Yeah I imagine it's super easy to forget small details like that tbh, once Croc was drawn with two hands for example!

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

EmmyOk posted:

whoops, that's the one I was talking about, got the chapter and book mixed up. But is it an error? As I was saying, he doesn't have it before getting in whitebeard's crew and has it after. What's the canon regarding when he got the tattoo? Is there even any indication?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Chev posted:

whoops, that's the one I was talking about, got the chapter and book mixed up. But is it an error? As I was saying, he doesn't have it before getting in whitebeard's crew and has it after. What's the canon regarding when he got the tattoo? Is there even any indication?

oda does make errors like this (scars are the thing he fucks up the most), you can tell if it's an error or not because they're usually fixed when the chapters are released in book format

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

EmmyOk posted:

Yeah I imagine it's super easy to forget small details like that tbh, once Croc was drawn with two hands for example!

Sand hand

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

works for Aokiji

well it's a foot, but still.

Cuchulain fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jul 5, 2017

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I read marineford the other day and there's one whole issue where Squard has normal non pointy teeth for some reason.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

he was cuffed and in impel down when it happened so checkmate, atheists

to add to the conversation: ace's tattoo being a tribute to sabo is a stupid as gently caress retcon

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Ryaomon posted:

to add to the conversation: ace's tattoo being a tribute to sabo is a stupid as gently caress retcon

A retcon changes the previous canon, how can it be a retcon let alone a stupid one if there was no previous explanation at all? You would have rather had it be a misspelling or completely meaningless?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

A retcon changes the previous canon, how can it be a retcon let alone a stupid one if there was no previous explanation at all? You would have rather had it be a misspelling or completely meaningless?

The super-cool, super-badass elder brother having a dumb misspelling on one of his tats is a very One Piece joke. Oda doesn't like his characters to have an excess of dignity.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Darth Walrus posted:

The super-cool, super-badass elder brother having a dumb misspelling on one of his tats is a very One Piece joke. Oda doesn't like his characters to have an excess of dignity.

law_chopper_hat.jpeg

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

You would have rather had it be a misspelling or completely meaningless?

Absolutely. Sabo was very obviously thought of way later and remains the most poorly written and useless addition to the cast by far.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Ryaomon posted:

Absolutely. Sabo was very obviously thought of way later and remains the most poorly written and useless addition to the cast by far.

Nah, given Luffy and the Monkey clan's attitudes never mentioning him until it was relevant is par for the course. Sabo was probably thought up at the same time or before Ace's design complete with tattoo.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it wouldn't surprise me if oda had thought of sabo earlier but the way he's introduced is pretty weak and so is his flashback when he reunites with luffy in dressrosa. it would have been better if there'd been more hints about his existence before the summit war flashback

I don't dislike sabo or anything but the way he's wedged into the story feels a lot clumsier than anyone else in one piece

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Gyges posted:

Nah, given Luffy and the Monkey clan's attitudes never mentioning him until it was relevant is par for the course

Yeah, like remember how Luffy just casually never mentioned that his grandfather was a Marine Vice Admiral because it was never relevant until after Enies Lobby when he just showed up? Sabo's introduction is virtually identical.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Considering Oda originally didn't intend the story to go on nearly this long I can buy him having the idea for a third brother to be revealed halfway through. The fact that it took 15 years for this to happen makes it seem like he made Sabo up on the spot, but either way is plausible.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Hell Ace come out of nowhere.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

garp and ace aren't introduced in a flashback where they have a death fakeout, then reintroduced later with the excuse for why they'd never shown up again being that they had amnesia

luffy just not mentioning who his family is feels a lot different to who sabo was handled

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I don't care if Sabo was planned from the beginning or not, I do not like how he was introduced and so far I don't like him either

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

n-no... he plans it all... he does it, again... 😨

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Sabo's design is neat

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Sabo is one of the few things in the series that feels thrown in at the last minute vs Oda's usual trend of planning things out years ahead. He shows up not too long after Ace is no longer around, which feels a lot like someone higher up said "Everyone really likes/liked Ace, if you have to kill him can you at least add this." type feel.

Still, despite his Malibu-Stacey-With-New-Hat vibe, I've really come around to Sabo, and I enjoy him and his place in the story. Plus he hangs out with Koala who's cool, and Hack, who has the series' most bitchin' mustache, so he's alright by me.

Rich Uncle Chet fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 5, 2017

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Sabo is one of the few things in the series that feels thrown in at the last minute vs Oda's usual trend of planning things out years ahead. He shows up not too long around Ace is around, which feels a lot like someone higher up said "Everyone really likes/liked Ace, if you have to kill him can you at least add this." type feel.

Yeah I totally dig that and though I like Sabo so far he hasn't really proven that he's more than that. I'm sure he will in time.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's a shame we probably won't see the revolutionaries again for a year or so

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Sabo is honestly fine as a character, he's got a decent design and some pretty good motivations. He doesn't have a ton of personality, though, and his introduction is the single most contrived thing in the history of One Piece, so I can't blame anyone for being too mad at the guy either.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

gnome7 posted:

Sabo is honestly fine as a character, he's got a decent design and some pretty good motivations. He doesn't have a ton of personality, though, and his introduction is the single most contrived thing in the history of One Piece, so I can't blame anyone for being too mad at the guy either.

:yeah:

I was also surprised by how little interaction he had with Luffy

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
I like Sabo and One Piece is cool.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I'm interested in Sabo more as an agent of Dragon than as a character in his own right. I'd be interested in future scenes of Sabo evading CP0, trying to recruit Aokiji, and so forth.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

https://twitter.com/YonkouProd/status/882625199312482304

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Sabo's grown on me. I like that he hits dudes with a fuckin' pipe.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I definitely want it to be misspelled. It's funny and a very One Piece-like design element.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Darth Walrus posted:

Has Mihawk stepped on any rakes or anything of the sort at all?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

don't think so

gonna have to wait for the flashback to him getting drunk at that wedding shanks attended

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

he lives and farms with baboons