Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

leftist heap posted:

"needlessly cruel" my man it's a guy who throws a ball around for millions of dollars

He's just trying to feed his family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Cool Buff Man posted:

Well I had hoped maybe that wasn't the case but the news isn't very friendly to him. Do you think he will tank or try for one of the last few spots in the east

He'd probably prefer to tank, but Pacers ownership is all about that money so expect them to always try to cobble together an 8 seed. The team really only has any hope because they do pretty well drafting guys between 10-15 in the draft.

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

Please god no

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

morestuff posted:

He'd be an extremely Knicks player

He was born to recreate that Marbury video at an outdoor court where he lists off all the amazing players on that Knicks team.

"We got *pauses for effect* Derrick Rose. *ticks down finger* Carmelo Anthony!

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Thanks for the well wishes fellas the doc said the surgery went well. I gotta not stress or exert myself for awhile which I think is the medical term for watching the knicks with an open heart. But yeah I'm not cloaking before dolan does gently caress that

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
"Pacers trying to shed salary" is p fun for a team that just took Oladipo for nothing.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

morestuff posted:

He'd be an extremely Knicks player

He's good enough to take over and win games vs tanking teams, costing us lottery spots which is another NYK specialty.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Clippers to replace Redick and Crawford with a player that is completely unlike either of them in any way, quite literally the inverse of Jamal Crawford (although both are very likable dudes)

edit: honestly who scores points on this team when Blake and Gallo are hurt for 30 games?

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Is it possible to hate an offseason to death

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

OzFactor posted:

Clippers to replace Redick and Crawford with a player that is completely unlike either of them in any way, quite literally the inverse of Jamal Crawford (although both are very likable dudes)

edit: honestly who scores points on this team when Blake and Gallo are hurt for 30 games?

Lou Williams.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Nick's av is incredibly apt for how this offseason is going for Memphis.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

RCarr posted:

I've never really watched Waiters play. Do I want the Knicks to sign him?

He's bad but universally loved by basketball fans therefore good

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

My heart hurts for my good friend Nick. Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers this offseason!

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Dokmo please come up with a formula to calculate a players Knicksiness. Prime Knicksy examples: Allan Houston, broken Penny Hardaway, broken Derrick Rose, Carmelo, Z-Bo,
Amar'e

It'll be some combination of high usage percentage, lack of defense, and being past their prime

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

kingcobweb posted:

Dokmo please come up with a formula to calculate a players Knicksiness. Prime Knicksy examples: Allan Houston, broken Penny Hardaway, broken Derrick Rose, Carmelo, Z-Bo,
Amar'e

It'll be some combination of high usage percentage, lack of defense, and being past their prime

They should also be overpaid and fat

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
This is mostly a function of when I started following the league but the Starbury/Stevie Franchise Knicks were the ultimate

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Cool Buff Man posted:

I'm open to arguments but his stats still call him garbage no matter what way you look at it, unless you only care about 3 pt %

One season, a contract year no less, in one of the most variable stats...nah he's definitely an infallible sharpshooter, this is basically Ray Allen to the Heat

He will be getting some killer looks though so it's not impossible. But Swaggy gon Swag regardless of the look

leftist heap posted:

"needlessly cruel" my man it's a guy who throws a ball around for millions of dollars

American culture especially provides people with so few meaningful community bonding experiences that overattachment to sports, one of the few fun and readily available mass identification activities, is almost inevitable. Byzantine citizens used to riot over ecumenical councils choosing word order in religious documents (and also over sports)

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

*snap clap jazz hands* The Knicks:

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
in case anyone here hasn't seen this classic yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaVa6NHwUUg

THEY SCARED NOW

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

NickRoweFillea posted:

Is it possible to hate an offseason to death

I can confirm it's possible

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound
All that jpeg is missing is a toasted Tracy McGrady and it's a masterpiece.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

morestuff posted:

*snap clap jazz hands* The Knicks:

I love Qyntel Woods

"In March, police said they stopped Woods and found marijuana in
his car. When asked to produce his drivers license and proof of
insurance, Woods reportedly provided officers with his rookie
trading card as identification."

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

DeimosRising posted:

American culture especially provides people with so few meaningful community bonding experiences that overattachment to sports, one of the few fun and readily available mass identification activities, is almost inevitable. Byzantine citizens used to riot over ecumenical councils choosing word order in religious documents (and also over sports)

i'm not a sociologist, but i'm p sure that's not on Hayward.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Tae posted:

I thought I remembered that Hayward wanted to sign a long term deal with the Jazz, but they balked and he had to find an offer in free agency back when he was a RFA.

Yeah. They took advantage of the RFA rules to let someone else set his value and then matched rather than just giving him a huge extension. He didn't want to leave. I could see him maybe being annoyed by that but it's been awhile and he seemed to have a good relationship with the front office and especially coaches so I dunno

MelancholyMark posted:

Please god no

Snyder has wanted a stretch 4 for a long time so this wouldn't shock me at all. Also they love to collect players that I hate.

Spacebump posted:

LOL. Hey guys sorry I'm leaving even though I also tried to when I was a restricted free agent. Byeeee

Can anyone explain to me why Hayward's free agency signing was considered messy? There was a few hour delay for a massive life decision on the 4th of July. The fact that he didn't wait a day is nice enough. If someone got too into waiting to find out on twitter, that's on them.

It's less that he waited and more that he denied it first for no reason and then annouced he was leaving anyway. Again not the world's worst crime but it added an extra kick to the balls for no good reason and could have easily been avoided.

leftist heap posted:

it is a thread about basketball if people need to add "in the context of basketball" or "it is still less bad than starving children" or whatever to their post every single time they express some basketball related disappointment that feels like it might get tedious. If it makes you feel better just assume it is included in all my posts

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

not sure why the celtics are letting olynyk when they still will need his skills and matchup against love to get past the cavs

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 5, 2017

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
In case anyone was doubting that this is what happened

quote:

Hayward, working with a ghostwriter, crafted three different versions of a blog for The Players’ Tribune, a website that produces articles written by athletes. The piece was supposed to break the news about where he’d spend the next part of his career, which — spoiler alert — we all know now will be Boston.

Hayward wrote a version in case he decided to remain with Rudy Gobert, Joe Ingles, Quin Snyder and his team of seven years, the Utah Jazz.

Hayward wrote a version in case he opted to team up with Pat Riley, Erik Spoelstra and the Miami Heat.

Hayward also wrote a version in case he chose to rejoin his college coach and trusted mentor Brad Stevens, All-Stars Isaiah Thomas and Al Horford, and the Boston Celtics.

“It was cathartic to write these things,” Hayward’s agent Mark Bartelstein told the Deseret News.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865684258/Agent-tells-Gordon-Haywards-side-of-the-story-from-a-wild-day.html

Maybe he's bullshitting but that part seems likely

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Cool Buff Man posted:

In case anyone was doubting that this is what happened

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865684258/Agent-tells-Gordon-Haywards-side-of-the-story-from-a-wild-day.html

Maybe he's bullshitting but that part seems likely

I have a side gig writing those chintzy sports championship magazines and more of the completed books have been trashed than published. It pays the same, though

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
🐻🔫

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

morestuff posted:

I have a side gig writing those chintzy sports championship magazines and more of the completed books have been trashed than published. It pays the same, though

Hahah that's awesome

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

:{ It's all gonna be okay Nick. I promise

More Celtics summer league news: There's a guy on the team named Scoochie Smith

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I think you all are focusing on the thing that Nick Young did in a contract year that he actually probably won't reproduce next year which is play defense. Although if he does that makes him a pretty big addition.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
It's going to be hilarious when Ainge eventually trades Hayward.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
4 days later and both Reggie AND Drummond are still on the roster. Shame on you, Pistons management.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Spacebump posted:

It's going to be hilarious when Ainge eventually trades Hayward.

Ainge literally put Hayward before his son so he has a few years leeway

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/IanBegley/status/882707662638534657

lmao he's gonna be hosed here

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/882706712356159488

Go forth and have it all somewhere else Monta. You were...sometimes fun but also a bad fit.

E: So if he had 11 mil due next year and an 11mil player option (that he would have certainly picked up) after that, does this mean they are just paying the 22 mil and the buyout talks didn't go anywhere?

Eltoasto fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jul 5, 2017

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Rick posted:

I think you all are focusing on the thing that Nick Young did in a contract year that he actually probably won't reproduce next year which is play defense. Although if he does that makes him a pretty big addition.

Its a 1 year contract, so its another contract year for him :buddy:

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Eltoasto posted:

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/882706712356159488

Go forth and have it all somewhere else Monta. You were...sometimes fun but also a bad fit.

E: So if he had 11 mil due next year and an 11mil player option (that he would have certainly picked up) after that, does this mean they are just paying the 22 mil and the buyout talks didn't go anywhere?

COME TO DETROIT MONTA

WHEN THERE'S A MONTA THERE'S A WAY

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Kinda sad that next season is already a foregone conclusion (barring injury) unless some bonkers stuff happens at the trade deadline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Cool Buff Man posted:

Ainge literally put Hayward before his son so he has a few years leeway

He'd definitely trade his son if he could get like 5 future second rounders

• Locked thread