Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
still chuckling at all the people saying that not publlishing the guy's name is more sinister than publishing the guy's name

CNN can't win here, they're going to be the bad guys no matter what they do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Gorn Myson posted:

CNN should grow the gently caress up.

just because you descend into the abyss doesn't mean you end up like artorias. cnn is the chosen undead.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

quote:

CNN is not publishing “HanA**holeSolo’s” name because he is a private citizen who has issued an extensive statement of apology, showed his remorse by saying he has taken down all his offending posts, and because he said he is not going to repeat this ugly behavior on social media again. In addition, he said his statement could serve as an example to others not to do the same.

CNN reserves the right to publish his identity should any of that change.

Seriously what the gently caress are you doing CNN, I get he's an anti-semetic racist scumbag but seriously

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
someone was mean to them on the internet :stare:

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

What's the problem

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Dreylad posted:

Seriously what the gently caress are you doing CNN, I get he's an anti-semetic racist scumbag but seriously

gently caress off, both CNN *and* the dude both said that last line was just poorly phrased and neither of them took it as a threat.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

What's the problem

there isn't one but a whole bunch of folks with questionable intellects are collapsing over the idea that CNN might be trying to silence an internet racist for whatever weird reason they're imagining

like a bunch of people who would otherwise manage to keep kayfabe are letting the mask slip today talking about how the mainstream media is trying to kill freeze peach

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009
just don't read corporate american news media

seeing my youtube feed light up with alt-right cnn videos is pretty funny though

FAKE AND DANGEROUS!
CNNBlackmail!
Donald Trump VS The Liberal Elite!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

What's the problem

Yea, I'm confused, don't all goons realize there's no such thing as privacy on social media? CNN did not "doxx" this man, lmao.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
it's okay as long as a corporation is doing it in retaliation over a gif that made fun of them

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

it's okay as long as a corporation is doing it in retaliation over a gif that made fun of them

what did they do? they didn't release any information on the guy except for his publicly viewable reddit handle so i don't know what you're mad about. are you just mad that CNN reported on a story? did CNN somehow compel this dude to post about how much he hates jews a million times on a public website?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Doxxing is bad because it's basically setting a target on someone's back for the internet to go after by posting their personal info. CNN did not post that scumbag's personal info, so I don't see what the big deal is.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Genocyber posted:

Doxxing is bad because it's basically setting a target on someone's back for the internet to go after by posting their personal info. CNN did not post that scumbag's personal info, so I don't see what the big deal is.

they almost doxxed him, which is worse than doxxing him because _________________________

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
cnn's acting like a giant baby and it's pretty funny, though if you want to project your anger about trumpman on me then go hog wild

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

cnn's acting like a giant baby and it's pretty funny, though if you want to project your anger about trumpman on me then go hog wild

i somehow think you are the angry one here by being upset that CNN wrote a story on a newsworthy thing that happened and then did not expose a guy's information. they didn't actually do anything wrong but you've got to bend over backwards to figure out that they did so you can justify being mad at them

the fact that you don't want to articulate what you think they did wrong for fear of being mocked is telling

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

They wanted to ask him questions about it because that's what reporters do and he freaked out that he was so easily traced and ccn seems to be trying to respect that

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

They wanted to ask him questions about it because that's what reporters do and he freaked out that he was so easily traced and ccn seems to be trying to respect that

let us all remember the lesson of thread mascot billyblanks who firmly declared that asking bigots questions is far worse than saying bigoted things, since outing a bigot is worse than being a bigot

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

your posts are incredibad.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

boner confessor posted:

i somehow think you are the angry one here by being upset that CNN wrote a story on a newsworthy thing that happened and then did not expose a guy's information. they didn't actually do anything wrong but you've got to bend over backwards to figure out that they did so you can justify being mad at them

the fact that you don't want to articulate what you think they did wrong for fear of being mocked is telling

since you seem to be incapable of disagreeing with people without hating them and projecting as much vitriol against them as possible, let me lay it out for you: i have no position on this except that cnn is making asses of themselves

is that sufficient for you or do you still feel an urge to portray me as the physical incarnation of the alt-right as part of your effort to continue the us-vs-them war raging in your mind

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

you'd have a leg to stand on if you'd never posted your dumb thoughts in here before.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

since you seem to be incapable of disagreeing with people without hating them and projecting as much vitriol against them as possible, let me lay it out for you: i have no position on this except that cnn is making asses of themselves

is that sufficient for you or do you still feel an urge to portray me as the physical incarnation of the alt-right as part of your effort to continue the us-vs-them war raging in your mind

haha u mad

anyway your posts are real bad and your troll failed, try again later or actually please dont

CNN did nothing wrong and you're a sheer fool if you think they did

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

boner confessor posted:

haha u mad

anyway your posts are real bad and your troll failed, try again later or actually please dont

CNN did nothing wrong and you're a sheer fool if you think they did

i didn't say their actions were right or wrong, just that they were dumb

is this hard for you or something?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

"CNN is baby because they're being an rear end" isn't elaborating poo poo you're just repeating superficial bullshit

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

it's you who is dumb, actually

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

"CNN is baby because they're being an rear end" isn't elaborating poo poo you're just repeating superficial bullshit

calm down

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I curse all the time regardless of mood don't @ me

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

What exactly is dumb about it?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Who What Now posted:

What exactly is dumb about it?

they're just dumb jewsjourinalists, gosh. do i have to explain everything mom

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I curse all the time regardless of mood don't @ me

yeah, well this is the only subforum where i've ever had someone pm me telling me to kill myself because of ~opinions~ so i get a bit concerned when people are getting excessively abrasive

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

yeah, well this is the only subforum where i've ever had someone pm me telling me to kill myself because of ~opinions~ so i get a bit concerned when people are getting excessively abrasive

i find it hard to believe this is the only subforum which doesn't like your terrible posts

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
no one cares what d&d finds believable or unbelievable, except when it leads to trump tantrums

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Just answer the question, Pitts. What did CNN do that was dumb?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Midig posted:

reporting on news, writing words, existing

you don't need much to trigger a MAGA fanatic into being mad at the news

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Midig posted:

responded disproportionately to an animated gif that made fun of them, in a way that makes them look to bystanders like a vindictive baby company

that's all i'm saying on the matter, so if you're dead set on looking for something to pick apart because you're out of touch and have no sense of humor, ~sorry~

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

responded disproportionately to an animated gif that made fun of them, in a way that makes them look to bystanders like a vindictive baby company

that's all i'm saying on the matter, so if you're dead set on looking for something to pick apart because you're out of touch and have no sense of humor, ~sorry~

maybe the reason you think they look like a vindictive baby company is because you're dumb as hell and don't know what journalism is? just a thought

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

They reached out to the guy claiming he made the gif for comment, how is that disproportionate?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Who What Now posted:

They reached out to the guy claiming he made the gif for comment, how is that disproportionate?

again, refer back to the claim that outing bigots is worse than being a bigot. almost but not quite holding this man responsible for his statements would ruin his life and that's just being a bully

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
They didn't even threaten to out him though, if you actually read the article they say they reached out to him and he didn't answer. A few days later he starts deleting posts and issuing apologies because he, like most internet nerds, is probably an easily spooked weirdo who probably assumed the worst for no good reason. They then end the article by saying they aren't going to release his name so don't bother asking.

You'd have to purposefully avoided reading the article and only looked at the hysterical responses to think what they did was "disproportionate", and surely Mr. Lambic wouldn't do that!

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
The thing about the counter-culture is as much as they crave attention and reach, the moment it's provided they immediately regret it. If you do anything that gets media attention they'll report on it, because that's what the media is supposed to do, but in this day and age there is not much opportunity to put a media face on what you're doing.

It's all up there for people to see, message boards, YouTube vids, etc etc. Suddenly these self-styled counter-culture types realise they're the ones being reported on, and decide the reporters are the ones at fault for how their public output makes them look. People up in arms about the PDP 'hit piece' by the WSJ exhibit the same naïveté. If you're gonna reach people, don't be surprised when media reaches back. They only use what you give them typically, it's not the media's fault if what you give them makes you look bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Who What Now posted:

is an easily spooked weirdo who probably assumed the worst for no good reason.

i disagree here because he definitely should have started deleting poo poo, if CNN can dox you then anyone can

• Locked thread