Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parachute
May 18, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

So there's a certain cliche or model plot, where one character suffers some horrible tragedy or dies or is fated to die, and another character decides to move heaven and earth to undo it. They travel through time, defy the gods, raise the dead, raise an army, whatever. The main thing is this all-consuming, often self-destructive, vengeance-like intensity, but nominally driven to protect or restore rather than destroy -- although maybe it's really about this person's ego more than the person they're protecting. Hugh Jackman's character in The Fountain is a great example -- you've got this rational but angry, driven scientist who will do anything to stop his wife from dying.

I'm looking for movies like this, but with a catch -- I want stories where either the fragile, doomed character is a man (or boy) or the self-destructive, driven wunderkind is a woman, or both. So Terminator 2 would be totally on the money, but I've already seen that.

Looper.....Kinda?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Looking for "hard", lesser known or low-budget sci-fi after rewatching Europa Report for the nth time. Can be built around emotional themes like Interstellar, can be a pure mood piece like Love, can be experimental like Moon. Feel free to recommend your secret widely panned or completely unknown favorite.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Schurik posted:

Looking for "hard", lesser known or low-budget sci-fi after rewatching Europa Report for the nth time. Can be built around emotional themes like Interstellar, can be a pure mood piece like Love, can be experimental like Moon. Feel free to recommend your secret widely panned or completely unknown favorite.
THX-1138, Primer, Upstream Color, A Boy and his Dog, The Brother from Another Planet, The Man who Fell to Earth.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

TychoCelchuuu posted:

THX-1138, Primer, Upstream Color, A Boy and his Dog, The Brother from Another Planet, The Man who Fell to Earth.

Primer and Upstream Color are two of my favorites, the rest sound interesting, thanks! Can't believe I haven't seen THX-1138 yet.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Some of these aren't really lesser known, but a lot of people these days haven't seen them.

Silent Running
Terminal Man
Hauser's Memory
COLOSSUS: The Forbin Project

and for a pair of really strange ones
Idaho Transfer
God Told Me To

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Idaho Transfer is directed by Peter Fonda, if that gives you an indication of what you're in for there.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Hey, I put the weirdness warning on it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Idaho Transfer makes God Told Me To completely straightforward (and I don't mean that as a knock, both movies are great).

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Schurik posted:

None of these are "hard" sci-fi, but 400 Days, Cube, and Arq might scratch that itch. Ex Machina is better known, but it's incredible, and still low-budget enough to feel like a play with four characters in one location.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
Looking for movies about the Spanish Civil War--fiction or nonfiction
thanks!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

smug n stuff posted:

Looking for movies about the Spanish Civil War--fiction or nonfiction
thanks!

Devil's Backbone, Pan's Labyrinth, For Whom the Bell Tolls

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
I do backflips when you're not looking.
Viva la Muerte, Land and Freedom, The Spanish Earth

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO
I'm looking for war movies that are modern. I'm a sucker for good effects and violence, though not into fantasy really (Transformers/superheroes not really for me). Some I've enjoyed lately a lot: 127 Hours, Black Hawk Down, 3 Kings, Saving Private Ryan. So something in this vein: easy to follow well done violence. Thanks a lot!

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

War Horse isn't non stop action but the combat scenes are really well done and it's a cool story. Also check out Siege of Jadotville on netflix if you haven't already, it's exactly what you're looking for.

fat bossy gerbil fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 2, 2017

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
LOL 127 Hours seems out of place on you list but whatever. Fury comes to mind. Hacksaw Ridge is supposedly good but I haven't seen it.

Edit: Enemy at the Gates is also pretty good.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Enemy at the Gates is actually terrible but it's good for an 90 minutes of uninterrupted Stalingrad carnage if you can get past the comically Cold War portrayal of the Red Army and the extremely out of place sex scene.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hacksaw Ridge was pretty disappointing for being too transparently manipulative. The underlying story is already amazing by itself, it didn't need to be sexed up at all, and it's pretty obvious when you're watching it what moments are BS.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Regardless of its qualities as a story, "easy to follow well-done violence" fits Hacksaw Ridge pretty well.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
It isn't very violent (there are surprisingly few violent scenes), but Whiskey Tango Foxtrot is an amazing movie about a war correspondent and the lives of embedded journalists in Afghanistan, based on the nonfiction book she wrote about being embedded with a Marine unit.

It's exciting, thought-provoking, and funny (but definitely not a straight-ahead comedy), and it stars Tina Fey, Margot Robbie, and Martin Freeman, with Billy Bob Thornton and Alfred Molina in smaller roles. It definitely gives you a different vantage point for a war movie.

You can stream it on Amazon Prime. I loved this movie, but I don't think it did well in theaters.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'd honestly say read the book in that case because the book is genuinely great.

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

Oliver Reed posted:

Not the most straight-forward request but I'm looking for movies featuring veteran actors as sort of mentors/guides to younger talent. Examples would be:

Robert Shaw in Jaws as a veteran fisherman working with Roy Scheider and Richard Dreyfuss
Sean Connery in The Untouchables as a veteran cop who helps Kevin Costner
Alec Guinness as a mentor to Mark Hamill in A New Hope

Those are the best examples I can think of; essentially great actors past their prime 'coaching' young stars.

Try Fat City, a boxing movie directed by John Huston with Stacey Keach and Jeff Bridges. One of my favorite movies ever.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

The Color of Money has Paul Newman mentoring Tom Cruise in the art of pool hall hustling and was directed by Scorcese. Anthony Hopkins teaches Antonio Banderas how to be Zorro in The Mask of Zorro, I think, it's been a while.

Also Creed.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I've been watching a bunch of crime films and gangster pictures over the long weekend:

Chinatown
Heat
Bonnie and Clyde
The Big Sleep
LA Confidential
Miller's Crossing

I really like LA noir particularly, but I'm up for anything in the genre, or with the same feel. Of those six I liked Chinatown and LA Confidential the most. The old black and whites are fine, but I like the post-Hays code stuff where they don't have to cover up the seedy underbellies.

Apologies if this comes up all the time, I checked a few pages back.

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

zoux posted:

I've been watching a bunch of crime films and gangster pictures over the long weekend:

Chinatown
Heat
Bonnie and Clyde
The Big Sleep
LA Confidential
Miller's Crossing

I really like LA noir particularly, but I'm up for anything in the genre, or with the same feel. Of those six I liked Chinatown and LA Confidential the most. The old black and whites are fine, but I like the post-Hays code stuff where they don't have to cover up the seedy underbellies.

Outright I would say John Huston's Maltese Falcon and Asphalt Jungle. You would probably also like Coen Brothers' Blood Simple. I would also recommend Sunset Boulevard and The Night of the Hunter but they aren't really a "crime" stories. David Cronenberg's Eastern Promises and A History Of Violence might interest you for modern takes. Also, I love A Most Violent Year, but it might not be what you are looking for. Oh and try Badlands.

Edit: Key Largo and On The Waterfront

York_M_Chan fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jul 5, 2017

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

zoux posted:

Chinatown
Heat
Bonnie and Clyde
The Big Sleep
LA Confidential
Miller's Crossing

there was a huge trend of sexing up classic noir narratives in the 70s/80s/90s including straight remakes/readaptations of farewell my lovely, the postman always rings twice, and d.o.a. stuff like body heat, fatal attraction, 52 pick up, body of evidence, malice, lost highway/mulholland dr, etc

the other obvious suggestions would be like thief, badlands, long goodbye, night moves, rolling thunder, to live and die in la. maybe even some de palma like body double and scarface

there are a quite a few noirs and noir-adjacent movies from the classic era that subvert the code and revel in the seamier side. directors like preminger and wilder essentially made their reputations off pushing the censors buttons (watch where the sidewalk ends, for example.) fritz lang's 50s movies tended towards this too (clash by night, big heat, blue gardenia, human desire, while the city sleeps, beyond a reasonable doubt) and also some lesser known movies like nightmare alley and pitfall, and b-pictures like gun crazy and the big combo

Radio Spiricom fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jul 6, 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

zoux posted:

Chinatown
Heat
Bonnie and Clyde
The Big Sleep
LA Confidential
Miller's Crossing

Grifters is a hell of a movie that doesn't get enough love. Most of the stuff I'd recommend has already been mentioned.
Other notables,
Blow Out
White Heat

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Some of the most underrated neo-noir that haven't been mentioned: The Friends of Eddie Coyle, Charley Varrick, Cutter's Way, One False Move, Carlito's Way, Gone Baby Gone, Killing Them Softly.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

What modern actions movies (any language) are like John Wick and its sequel in this sense: there's a lot of violence but it's filmed in such a way that you can see and appreciate the choreography? No 20 cuts per second/shaky cam trickery, just a straight look at what's going on.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Oliver Reed posted:

What modern actions movies (any language) are like John Wick and its sequel in this sense: there's a lot of violence but it's filmed in such a way that you can see and appreciate the choreography? No 20 cuts per second/shaky cam trickery, just a straight look at what's going on.

The Raid (and it's sequel), and Dredd both immediately pop in my head. If it doesn't need to be too modern John Woo's Hong Kong stuff (Hard Boiled, The Killers, A Better Tomorrow 1 and 2), Drug War by Johnnie To probably also fits that and is more recent (2012 as opposed to late 80's/early 90's).

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Oliver Reed posted:

The two DTV Universal Soldiers, Regeneration and Day of Reckoning.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Oliver Reed posted:

Man of Tai Chi is directed by Keanu and he plays the villain too. There's no gunplay but lots of great martial arts action.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Oliver Reed posted:

Hardcore Henry. The bare minimum of exposition, and then an hour and a half of tightly cut action and first person violence.

doodlebugs
Feb 18, 2015

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

Chinatown
Heat
Bonnie and Clyde
The Big Sleep
LA Confidential
Miller's Crossing

Roger Cormans St. Valentine's Day Massacre and John Milius Dillinger

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
What's the best place to start with Johnnie To? All I've seen is (the excellent) Drug War

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

morestuff posted:

What's the best place to start with Johnnie To? All I've seen is (the excellent) Drug War

Running Out of Time and Full-time Killer are both excellent action films, Election and Triad Election are more drama oriented, but can still bring the violence.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

morestuff posted:

Heroic Trio.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Skwirl posted:

Running Out of Time and Full-time Killer are both excellent action films, Election and Triad Election are more drama oriented, but can still bring the violence.

I guess it's time to pay my library fees because half these aren't available streaming anywhere

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

EKDS5k posted:

Hardcore Henry. The bare minimum of exposition, and then an hour and a half of tightly cut action and first person violence.

Hardcore Henry is the literal polar loving opposite of what that poster is looking for.

My suggestion would be Headshot.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
I'm looking for 90s comedies set in the 70s, things like Dazed and Confused, The Stoned Age, or Detroit Rock City, any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

goose willis posted:

I'm looking for 90s comedies set in the 70s, things like Dazed and Confused, The Stoned Age, or Detroit Rock City, any suggestions?

If you're willing to go for a TV series, definitely check out Freaks and Geeks

• Locked thread