Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Aye Doc posted:

We over at the SAS Fantasy Draft thread creep ever closer to reaching our goals. For only 30 minutes a day of your time, you can save the empty, hockey-less soul of a suffering fan. The offseason quiet is coming soon, and it is going to come hard and through the ever-powerful bonds of fantasy drafting, we can chase away the despair. Please come join us, we only need 9 teams to get the draft started up!

Are you still cool with people who drop out in the late teen rounds and sheepishly check the thread a month later to find that nobody noticed they quit making picks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I guess taking the pro-exploitative billionaire side is one way to go.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

FBS posted:

Are you still cool with people who drop out in the late teen rounds and sheepishly check the thread a month later to find that nobody noticed they quit making picks?

we noticed, we just stepped over your body and carried on. and yeah gently caress it, come on down

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Someone needs to post the Avery-economics article now - or that 30 for 30 episode about going broke.
Although the latter is infinitely less hilarious than Avery losing his playing bucks to arguably the most predatory agent not named "Johnson"

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

I guess taking the pro-exploitative billionaire side is one way to go.

The Oilers are almost certainly going to max the cap out every year for the next 10 years so it's not like it's actually saving Katz any money.

It leaves $10m to resign other players increasing the Oiler's chances.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Powershift posted:

This teenager who signed a contract that will give him $100,000,000 is an idiot because he could have signed a contract that would give hime $108,000,000. he'll be 28 instead of 25 when the contract is over, s he'll only have 12 more productive hockey years instead of 15.

There's no way he will be able to save for retirement now. What a moron.

yup

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Powershift posted:

The Oilers are almost certainly going to max the cap out every year for the next 10 years so it's not like it's actually saving Katz any money.

It leaves $10m to resign other players increasing the Oiler's chances.

connor leaving 5-8 million in signing bonuses on the table saves katz some money during the lockout

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

violent sex idiot posted:

connor leaving 5-8 million in signing bonuses on the table saves katz some money during the lockout

Because only the best guy on the team is allowed a signing bonus :shrug:

e:

https://twitter.com/SportsnetSpec/status/882686075336110080

It seems he's still doing his part.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 6, 2017

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

He could've gotten more money but chose not to. That is, by definition, stupid.

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

It's weird to be uncomfortable with the workings of corporate capital sports but still be a huge fan of it that gets mad at people that are slightly more comfortable with it

edit: not weird bad just weird strange

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

yellowcar posted:

Maybe he doesn't care that much about money… not everybody is greedy

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

yellowcar posted:

He wants to be a Gretzky, not a Toews.

A Gretzky needs a Messier and a Kurri and a Coffey and a Fuhr
A Toews is just stuck holding his Kane

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/mirtle/status/882748291083063296

Quite a bit for someone Leafs fans don't seem to like (as far as I understand it, anyways).

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Like to be bothered by people for not being either hypocritical or self loathing is odd

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

The Golden Man posted:

Maybe he doesn't care that much about money… not everybody is greedy

bless his heart

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

yellowcar posted:

bless his heart

I think he wants his friend Leon to have an extra 750k

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Powershift posted:

He wants to be a Gretzky

And act loyal to Edmonton right up until he forces a trade to someplace not surrounded by hundreds of miles of frozen wasteland?

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

I can live with that Hyman contract.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

And act loyal to Edmonton right up until he forces a trade to someplace not surrounded by hundreds of miles of frozen wasteland?

Gretzky didn't force the trade, Pocklington was broke and needed the money. I don't think that'll be an issue with McDavid.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Powershift posted:

He wants to be a Gretzky, not a Toews.

A Gretzky needs a Messier and a Kurri and a Coffey and a Fuhr
A Toews is just stuck holding his Kane

Thanks for the input Mr. Staples.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

Why do people still believe this nonsense.

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Why do people still believe this nonsense.

They jealous...

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK
I am probably the only penguin fan that will say this, but I'd happily see Sid retire this year, while on top and mostly whole. then we could all call McDavid the best unequivocally. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see more cups in Pittsburgh, but I'd really not like to see them holding the bits of Crosby's brain that leaked out after hiis 19th concussion.

Also, McDavid is making Like 1.83 billion pesos to hit a black piece of a rubber with a stick. Apparently 86% of it guaranteed. and in 8 years will quite likely be in position to get paid again if he wants. He may not have gotten everything he could have, but he didn't do that badly either.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I, too, think Crosby should retire. Malkin as well, while we're at it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Crosby should retire retroactively, and we should have a do-over on the playoffs.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Actually, he's in my keeper league, so not 'till after next season.

Speaking of which, I've been putting together a list of outliers and off year players from last season. The idea being that I want to avoid things like drafting TJ Oshie's 20%+ shooting on my fantasy teams. If there's interest, I can put together a thread to discuss things like who will get worse, who will rebound, who got a shiny new linemate, and who got traded to/signed with Colorado.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

JoelJoel posted:

I, too, think Crosby should retire. Malkin as well, while we're at it.

Crosby/Malkin/McDavid/and... gently caress it.. Ovie or Matthews all wind up in a collision at the 2018 allstar game.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
If Mcdavid and Crosby really wanted to make the most money anyways they'd just sign in New York and get an absurd amount of endorsement deals.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Drunk Canuck posted:

I can live with that Hyman contract.

It sucks and is yet another overpayment for a player Babcock loves. How many gritty 4th liners making 2M+ does one team need?

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

eXXon posted:

It sucks and is yet another overpayment for a player Babcock loves. How many gritty 4th liners making 2M+ does one team need?

Hohoho let me tell you about Marc Bergevin

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Powershift posted:

This teenager who signed a contract that will give him $100,000,000 is an idiot because he could have signed a contract that would give hime $108,000,000. he'll be 28 instead of 25 when the contract is over, s he'll only have 12 more productive hockey years instead of 15.

There's no way he will be able to save for retirement now. What a moron.

He could have had $120 million.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
i think he'll be ok

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

glynnenstein posted:

He could have had $120 million.

Oh, shity, yeah, he's hosed then.

He'll be eating dog food by 55.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why does MTL hate Galchenyuk so much?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

JollyPubJerk posted:

Why does MTL hate Galchenyuk so much?

Maybe he didn't want to sign long term?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Crosby/Malkin/McDavid/and... gently caress it.. Ovie or Matthews all wind up in a collision at the 2018 allstar game.

Brad Marchand is going to torpedo the anthem line-up and injure every NHL all star at once.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Galchenyuk is a UFA at the end of the deal and has the option to gently caress off if he wants. Or he gets packaged as a rental and gets a shot at a stanley cup.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Powershift posted:

Oh, shity, yeah, he's hosed then.

He'll be eating hot dog food by 25.

If he discovers the not-so-secret formula for winning.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Brad Marchand is going to torpedo the anthem line-up and injure every NHL all star at once.

So he's going to skate by them real quick with his nose in their direction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
McDavid would've kept $8.4m more dollars after tax if he signed in Nashville/Florida/Dallas, or $5.3m less if he signed in Montreal. Dollars taken home isn't the only thing players care about except Radulov

• Locked thread