Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Minto Took posted:

BLMW wants to see grid penalties go away in favor of docking WCC points instead for mechanical failures. I'm ok with this.

Negative points for McHonda then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Theophany posted:

lmao who the gently caress did this?

It's beautiful

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
Podium finisher Lance Stroll now has something in common with podium finisher Martin Brundle

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Minto Took posted:

BLMW wants to see grid penalties go away in favor of docking WCC points instead for mechanical failures. I'm ok with this.

That's a good idea actually!

Naturally, it won't happen.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I'm down with them docking WCC. Do any of us even give a poo poo about the constructors?

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Joe's Award is the journalist this thread deserves, and deep down you all know it.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

Probably lost interest. Look at Leyton House and Footwork, the Japanese don't have a good track record for holding a long term interest in European single seaters.

To be fair, Leyton House ended because Akira Akagi went to prison for fraud. Footwork (The Company, not Arrows) itself was primarily Japan based and affected by the recession.

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 5, 2017

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The whole Japanese logistics company, Porsche works engine, backmarker F1 team thing was such a bizarre marriage I would've been shocked if it had lasted over the long term.

Kinda want a Footwork patch for my kart suit now.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 5, 2017

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Footwork was a logistics company but also heavily involved in domestic formula racing. They built their own JF3000 chassis, for example.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Norns posted:

I'm down with them docking WCC. Do any of us even give a poo poo about the constructors?

I do. Though only in the sense that I don't want any particular constructor to win, I just want to see Ferrari lose. And with the WCC points docking rule they will!

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

You must be a blast to have a drink with at the pub.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Human Grand Prix posted:

Footwork was a logistics company but also heavily involved in domestic formula racing. They built their own JF3000 chassis, for example.

Yeah, I mean, it's really not that much more unusual than one of the most successful teams of the 90s being owned by an Italian clothing company, or the 2010s being a fizzy drinks company.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota
WCC is the only championship that matters :colbert:

Also the idea of docking WCC points for mechanical stuff is brilliant so

iospace posted:

Naturally, it won't happen.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

You must be a blast to have a drink with at the pub.
:goonsay:
- a Ferrari fan.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Norns posted:

Aren't WCC points how FOM pays out team bonuses? I mean unless you're Ferrari

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Yeah, I mean, it's really not that much more unusual than one of the most successful teams of the 90s being owned by an Italian clothing company, or the 2010s being a fizzy drinks company.

The other two are global brands, Footwork to my knowledge operated almost exclusively within Japan, which is the part I struggle with.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Aren't WCC points how FOM pays out team bonuses? I mean unless you're Ferrari

Yup! Ferrari and, to a lesser extent, Williams get set payouts each year as well (with Ferrari's being 10s of millions more than William's). Each team that has participated more than a year also gets a bonus (Haas didn't get it this year, will get it next year).

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Oh look, British GP is in trouble.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

The other two are global brands, Footwork to my knowledge operated almost exclusively within Japan, which is the part I struggle with.

Somehow, some way, Formula 1 was the sport of the bubble. Japan in the late 1980s was to F1 as China is to soccer now. Spending tons of money, doing so without a real plan, and causing everyone in Europe to arch their eyebrows (and possibly cash out). It wouldn't have mattered that Footwork was a domestic company because the domestic market was huge, and F1 had a major popularity boom. Seriously - even now in Tokyo I still see old dudes wearing Benetton-Ford team gear sometimes, and there are still magazine issues written about cars or seasons of that era. It's unreal.

And FWIW Footwork is now owned by Australian logistics company Toll, which you may have seen sponsor V8 Supercar teams before, and now the last remaining Footwork trucks I've seen in Japan now have the old paint scheme with the new name and it looks so sad. (And when Forza 7 comes out this year I'm planning on making a Yamato Kuroneko-style GT scheme. Maybe an IndyCar one too).

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

1500quidporsche posted:

It's a company owned by a rich guy, the point is that spending stupid amounts of money on a racing team is more fun to a certain type of person than say, paying your taxes.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

doesn't this story always resurface this time of year?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

doesn't this story always resurface this time of year?

Yup! They're serious this time! This time it's for real!

(It'll still happen)

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Watching Austria 2000. What the gently caress Alesi

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Jean Alesi's Prost 2000 season is like a tragic comedy.

Weirdly enough he has a totally random great race next year at Montreal.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Jean Alesi's Prost 2000 season is like a tragic comedy.

Weirdly enough he has a totally random great race next year at Montreal.

Do you remember when Heidfeld and Alesi collided with each other? That owned.

The AP04 was half decent.

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jul 6, 2017

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

harperdc posted:

Somehow, some way, Formula 1 was the sport of the bubble. Japan in the late 1980s was to F1 as China is to soccer now. Spending tons of money, doing so without a real plan, and causing everyone in Europe to arch their eyebrows (and possibly cash out). It wouldn't have mattered that Footwork was a domestic company because the domestic market was huge, and F1 had a major popularity boom. Seriously - even now in Tokyo I still see old dudes wearing Benetton-Ford team gear sometimes, and there are still magazine issues written about cars or seasons of that era. It's unreal.

And FWIW Footwork is now owned by Australian logistics company Toll, which you may have seen sponsor V8 Supercar teams before, and now the last remaining Footwork trucks I've seen in Japan now have the old paint scheme with the new name and it looks so sad. (And when Forza 7 comes out this year I'm planning on making a Yamato Kuroneko-style GT scheme. Maybe an IndyCar one too).

Autopolis sponsored Benetton in 90-91 iirc.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Their chassis was pretty good too.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NtotheTC posted:

I do. Though only in the sense that I don't want any particular constructor to win, I just want to see Ferrari lose. And with the WCC points docking rule they will!

I'm going to kick your rear end

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Human Grand Prix posted:

Do you remember when Heidfeld and Alesi collided with each other? That owned.

His collision with Diniz at Hockenheim was even better.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It's a company owned by a rich guy, the point is that spending stupid amounts of money on a racing team is more fun to a certain type of person than say, paying your taxes.

This is me. I'm that rich guy. That's my mentality.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

If I had more gently caress you money I'd definitely piss it away on a racing team

Did wicka get banned? He's been real quiet

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I dunno. I only gave him a 6er.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Norns posted:

If I had more gently caress you money I'd definitely piss it away on a racing team

Did wicka get banned? He's been real quiet

He's got a month's probation

Oops, got him confused with Wirth

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

We know what happened to Wirth. He's making all those Senna videos.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Wicka's plane was shot down over the Pacific. Rip.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

GramCracker posted:

This is me. I'm that rich guy. That's my mentality.

I mean, I am that guy, I have the two stroke kart even though I have no business competing in that class. And I still think if you're being objective about things it's a bad mentality.

Edit:I would've been a pretty good backmarker team owner in the 80s/90s right up until the point where I signed the works Yamaha deal for free engines. Our team would've had a belter of a car that year and our sponsors would constantly be telling me "Look we can be getting onto the podium consistently if you just buy the Cosworth, you can afford them, just buy the loving Cosworth." and all I would've said in reply was "Yeah but these Yamaha engines are free, they're in a bin by the portable toilets, you can't beat free."

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jul 6, 2017

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

1500quidporsche posted:

Wicka's plane was shot down over the Pacific. Rip.

*Quietly hums Suicide is Painless*

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

RIP wicka. I'll miss your random but violent meltdowns

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Dull anacdote: Yesterday I was in the UK version of a thrift store (charity shop) and it was a proper bat poo poo insane one. I was holding my puppy so forgive the lack of pictures, but I looked up and saw a shitload of framed McLaren car photographs. It very slowly dawned on me that every picture was of fast heikki. Somebody loved him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

learnincurve posted:

Dull anacdote: Yesterday I was in the UK version of a thrift store (charity shop) and it was a proper bat poo poo insane one. I was holding my puppy so forgive the lack of pictures, but I looked up and saw a shitload of framed McLaren car photographs. It very slowly dawned on me that every picture was of fast heikki. Somebody loved him.

This happens in the USA but its all Dale Earnhardt poo poo

• Locked thread