Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Samurai Sanders posted:

In a moment of weakness I preordered Gundam Versus. The last one of these games I played for hours on end was Gundam vs Z-Gundam so maybe it was a mistake, we'll see.

It's going to be a pretty big culture shock, since that's a leap roughly analogous to playing something like Moon Dwellers or V when the last SRW you played was SRW 2.

That said, as someone who has enjoyed Versus enough to wake up for their ridiculous beta test times just to mainline a little bit more of it, it's a really loving good game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Kanos posted:

It's going to be a pretty big culture shock, since that's a leap roughly analogous to playing something like Moon Dwellers or V when the last SRW you played was SRW 2.

That said, as someone who has enjoyed Versus enough to wake up for their ridiculous beta test times just to mainline a little bit more of it, it's a really loving good game.
No no, I have played the latest one on the PS3 too, but maybe only for a few hours.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
In Gundam Versus (or previous games for that matter) is there an option I'm not seeing to use random MSs every round in single player, just for the purpose of quickly getting a feel for lots of different MSs?

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

Samurai Sanders posted:

In Gundam Versus (or previous games for that matter) is there an option I'm not seeing to use random MSs every round in single player, just for the purpose of quickly getting a feel for lots of different MSs?

In Extreme Vs Full Boost (as that's the only one I've played) you can set it to random or random of a specific cost

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Inferno-sama posted:

In Extreme Vs Full Boost (as that's the only one I've played) you can set it to random or random of a specific cost
Where is that option though? Is it treated as an MS somewhere in the MS list like a fighting game, or something else?

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Where is that option though? Is it treated as an MS somewhere in the MS list like a fighting game, or something else?

IIRC you just cycle to the left when selecting your character. Granted, this is for free battle mode rather than arcade mode, as I had more experience with free battle for fun, and it's for Extreme Vs Full Boost, so it might be different with others.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

If you go into the mode where you can select all four players, at the end of the MS list are the random choices.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Oh huh, I guess it's a menu option above favorite MS, but only for multiplayer and not single player. What the hell? That's all backwards.

edit: does anyone play these games with the navigation voice turned on? Whether it's Haro's screeching or not, it seems designed to destroy your concentration in a game series already completely full of yelling and lasers and explosions.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jul 6, 2017

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh huh, I guess it's a menu option above favorite MS, but only for multiplayer and not single player. What the hell? That's all backwards.

edit: does anyone play these games with the navigation voice turned on? Whether it's Haro's screeching or not, it seems designed to destroy your concentration in a game series already completely full of yelling and lasers and explosions.

The ones I mostly used were Bright and Haman, though when my mate and I played he had it set to Meer Campbell, and kept calling her Lacus Clyne.

ZuljinRaynor
Apr 25, 2010

NERD LICENSE IMMUNITY
It's just been revoked!
I used Bright, but some of his lines are so drat long so my brother was getting annoyed. Switched to Haman after that.

I preordered the Japanese version of Gundam Versus. I'll be getting both versions, but I do not want to wait for the English release.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Played it a whole bunch yesterday. Mostly casual matches (ranked matches aren't implemented until the end of the month) with random 200 cost suits. Unlike last time I want to experiment with all the suits' functions in an organized way rather than just going off ones that I like the design like usual. So far maybe the silver Sumo is my favorite of the 200 suits.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 7, 2017

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I just finished V and oh man that last stage was killer. Surviving the final boss' first turn was harder than the entire rest of the game.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Nuebot posted:

I just finished V and oh man that last stage was killer. Surviving the final boss' first turn was harder than the entire rest of the game.

Did you get the 'True' ending where you fight 15 bosses? The trick is to kill them all in one turn. Which I did. Because the Yamato is broken.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Hunter Noventa posted:

Did you get the 'True' ending where you fight 15 bosses? The trick is to kill them all in one turn. Which I did. Because the Yamato is broken.

I didn't upgrade the Yamato and the wave gun did like, half of one's HP and took all of its EN.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Hunter Noventa posted:

Did you get the 'True' ending where you fight 15 bosses? The trick is to kill them all in one turn.

Ditto. Really, the best way to deal with that battle (even without abusing the Yamato) is to know that they're coming and positioning yourself preemptively. I think you need to get four or five of them down, at which point they'll lose morale, Pressure and Double Movement and become MUCH more fragile (my Ryouma personally oneshotted another four after that).

Let them get a turn before that, though, and it ain't gonna be pretty. I confess that I was legit scared before I triggered the event.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Brunom1 posted:

Ditto. Really, the best way to deal with that battle (even without abusing the Yamato) is to know that they're coming and positioning yourself preemptively. I think you need to get four or five of them down, at which point they'll lose morale, Pressure and Double Movement and become MUCH more fragile (my Ryouma personally oneshotted another four after that).

Let them get a turn before that, though, and it ain't gonna be pretty. I confess that I was legit scared before I triggered the event.

I'll admit I cheesed it by letting the last enemy before that sit around taking potshots he could never hit while everyone else repaired and regained SP. But drat if it wasn't satisfying.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I feel like that whole thing would have been more satisfying if they didn't get de-powered but weren't quite so overwhelming to begin with, and you still unlocked the WMC. You'd get a really good spiral going since the whole thing gets significantly weaker the more of them you take out.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Caphi posted:

I feel like that whole thing would have been more satisfying if they didn't get de-powered but weren't quite so overwhelming to begin with, and you still unlocked the WMC. You'd get a really good spiral going since the whole thing gets significantly weaker the more of them you take out.

Yeah, see. The big problem is that if you don't know they're coming at all, there's a good chance you'll be out of position and get really hosed that first defense turn but after that it becomes infinitely easier. But holy poo poo that first turn is a nightmare. By like the third turn most of my dudes were one shotting them from full health. I think I had Mazinger Zero kill like half of them on a chain of EX moves alone.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Is Moon Dwellers worth it if I know next to nothing about the OGverse? The novelty of english SRW has taken hold and I want more.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Million Ghosts posted:

Is Moon Dwellers worth it if I know next to nothing about the OGverse? The novelty of english SRW has taken hold and I want more.
There's a shitload of characters who are just kind of there, left over from previous plotlines, but the few plotlines actually in the game concern new characters, so you should be relatively okay.

edit: Oh, except for Compatible Kaiser. Uh...there's a boy and an alien intelligence lives inside his body and his dad made a robot to fight the Dark Brain and defeated it a few games ago. That's about what you need to know.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jul 12, 2017

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I think the only major plots from previous OG games are A. there's a bigass warpgate left lying in orbit from the last battle B. various aliens from the Zuvorg Alliance have tried invading Earth and C. Endless Frontier is canon.

You could pick that up as you play, I'm guessing.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Sweet sounds pretty easy, when the dollar isn't so garbage i'll have it on the way

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Davzz posted:

I would like this, but I also don't think it will happen - I imagine they aren't ignorant about the financial states of several SRPG franchises and unfortunately they're probably learning lessons that would ensure higher profit margins over "memorable games that players will remember"

1) Properly designed (and optionally challenging) strategic gameplay doesn't really seem to translate to sales, so there's no motivation to design that way. An easy difficulty brings in more players and is much more simple to accomplish than designing a proper "hard" difficulty.

2) Mecha's fanbase is pretty stagnant in Japan and it's mostly just the 30-40 year olds wanting a dose of nostalgia. They're branching out to SE Asia now but I'm not sure if the demographic is really different. Point is - the pool they can draw from is not all that great to warrant putting in more effort than they're doing now, in either of "plays for aesthetics" or "plays for gameplay" split.

3) We know the series isn't doing the best financially, and when that happens the Japanese tend to bunker down instead of rocking the boat.

4) The most financially successful and prominent Japanese SRPG series is Fire Emblem, and the one thing that the devs seem to have taken from that series is not the gameplay, it's "Waifus sell"

You add that all together and the only path I can see for SRW in the near future is just the factory-like workmanship we have right now or them making a shipping-focused OGs if they really want to try to gun for money. Which is not particularly a direction most people here would prefer, I wager.

Maybe they should take inspiration from the AAA Western Market and use the depressing storytelling of Last of Us/Call Of Duty/Rogue One as the basis of the main character instead of "Originals fix everything, cures cancer and brings joy to he world" and instead "Original tries to fight fate but ruins it for others and makes a noble sacrifice so others can live on"

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Davzz posted:

4) The most financially successful and prominent Japanese SRPG series is Fire Emblem, and the one thing that the devs seem to have taken from that series is not the gameplay, it's "Waifus sell"

You add that all together and the only path I can see for SRW in the near future is just the factory-like workmanship we have right now or them making a shipping-focused OGs if they really want to try to gun for money. Which is not particularly a direction most people here would prefer, I wager.

I mean, I wouldn't say no to a licensed SRW or an OG with dating sim mechanics... Is it so wrong to want to marry your female OC to Duke Freed, or to do cross-series shipping and have Kallen date Chirico for real?

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Hokuto posted:

I mean, I wouldn't say no to a licensed SRW or an OG with dating sim mechanics... Is it so wrong to want to marry your female OC to Duke Freed, or to do cross-series shipping and have Kallen date Chirico for real?

That's fine, so long as I get first dibs on any Hiyama and Kotono Mitsuishi-voiced characters. They're all mine!

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
If you date a gundam boy too early you die 2 scenes later.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

Hokuto posted:

Brunom1 posted:

That's fine, so long as I get first dibs on any Hiyama and Kotono Mitsuishi-voiced characters. They're all mine!

I'm calling characters voiced by Takehito Koyasu and Atsuko Tanaka.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

The GIG posted:

If you date a gundam boy too early you die 2 scenes later.

Same if you try to date Yoko at all.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Also Jerid
or Izumi

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I imagine no matter how many of the anime characters they make gettable by the player character people will be unhappy some minor character isn't.

And in a crazy otaku way that dwarfs issues of who is and isn't a playable unit in the game, etc.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
All Koyasu characters are contracted to date all Midorikawa characters. Shu and Joe Rival, Mu La Flaga and Xingke, Zechs and Masaki, Asuham Boone and Heero. The possibilities are endless.

If making Irm be locked into Ring as his only romance option is what it takes to get her playable again it is a worthy trade.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Samurai Sanders posted:

I imagine no matter how many of the anime characters they make gettable by the player character people will be unhappy some minor character isn't.

:h::h::h::h:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
That's adorable, you think they'll use original series Gundam again.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I can't believe that they won't let me romance the AI Zakrello

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Mazinger/Aphrodai/Minerva OT3

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Sordas Volantyr posted:

It is weird at how little original Gundam has been used, but it kinda makes sense too, it's kinda a pain in the rear end to integrate into an SRW setting, same with SEED and 00 Season 1(hence why the former was used only 2-3 times and the latter once)

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

HitTheTargets posted:

Mazinger/Aphrodai/Minerva OT3

When are Mazinger's Angels coming to SRW?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
They will use the 0079 setting again when the eventual reboot series happens.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Sordas Volantyr posted:

Yeah, clearly it will be Job John circa F90 that gets used. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
Oh for- F90-era Job John? AI Zakrello!? Godless heathens, the lot of you!

The Death Army pilots are collectively the most husbando material characters in the entire franchise!

• Locked thread