Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Tom Boyd given indefinete leave for clinical depression, I hope the AFL media and social media feel really loving proud of themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
I would be depressed if I turned back into a pumpkin tbh

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
The Dees probably should have had someone other than Jordan Lewis doing the media circuit when the Bugg decision was handed down tbh

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Testekill posted:

Tom Boyd given indefinete leave for clinical depression, I hope the AFL media and social media feel really loving proud of themselves.

Why do I always get surprised when people decide the most appropriate response is to suggest that Boyd should try working a normal job like the rest of us slobs and then he'd appreciate what he has more

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

snaeksikn posted:

Why do I always get surprised when people decide the most appropriate response is to suggest that Boyd should try working a normal job like the rest of us slobs and then he'd appreciate what he has more

I always get articles written about me in newspapers, talked about on TV, and have people calling radio stations to bag me when I fuckup at work, don't you?

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Just found out that Heritier Lumumba retired.

I thought he was injured or playing at Casey or something

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

racing identity posted:

Just found out that Heritier Lumumba retired.

I thought he was injured or playing at Casey or something

retired and was considering suing Melbourne for not playing him while concussed

no, that's not a typo.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Spedman posted:

I always get articles written about me in newspapers, talked about on TV, and have people calling radio stations to bag me when I fuckup at work, don't you?

I usually don't get in fb arguments with people over anything but jesus the amount of bile that i have seen people spewing over this is ridiculous. Unbelievable amount of people who still think mental illness treatment should only be considered luxury rather than a basic right. One bloke even claimed "depression never killed anyone" in one of the dumbest things I've seen all year

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Ty Vickery has been arrested for extortion :stare:

Edit: and Jake King

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Brown Paper Bag posted:

That'll def get him more votes in the Hawks B&F this year.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
The gently caress?

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid

quote:

Vickery, 27, believed a partner in his Hawthorn East Italian restaurant, Fat Monkey, stole as much as $100,000.

He raised his concerns with police, but when he was dissatisfied with the response, it is alleged he enlisted King, 33, to recover the funds.
:chanpop:

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Ah yes getting King and Toby MacLean to recover funds on your behalf. Brain genious move

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Brown Paper Bag posted:

but enough about his hawthorn contract

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

:toxx: If this is actually how Hawthorn dodges the Vickery contract, I will donate $50 to a VicPol charity.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Footy players are pretty dumb

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
this is what happens when you get your law degree from Vic Uni

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

TG-Chrono posted:

Ah yes getting King and Toby MacLean to recover funds on your behalf. Brain genious move

Vickery always gets mentioned when people talk about legitimately intelligent footballers, I now know people were saying it sarcastically

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Let he who has not employed the Push Up King as a standover man cast the first stone

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

racing identity posted:

Let he who has not employed the Push Up King as a standover man cast the first stone

Great post/username combo

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Oh, Tyrone.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Jake King is basically the Australian Luke Cage

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

NTRabbit posted:

Jake King is basically the Australian Johnny Cage

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

lol mark Robinson blaming tom boyds contract

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

At the risk of being premature, maybe mark Robinson should shut the gently caress up about anything relating to players mental health forever

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Solemn Sloth posted:

At the risk of being premature, maybe mark Robinson should shut the gently caress up about anything relating to players mental health forever

On the other hand, maybe he ought to try and call Boyd, and send the club a letter trying to guilt them into forcing an interview with him

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid

Solemn Sloth posted:

I was just about to say hasn't he learned his lesson yet but no of course he hasn't

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Solemn Sloth posted:

lol mark Robinson blaming tom boyds contract

I mean the expectation that has been placed on him (and the price tag along with that) would absolutely contribute to his feelings of minimised self worth

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

TG-Chrono posted:

I mean the expectation that has been placed on him (and the price tag along with that) would absolutely contribute to his feelings of minimised self worth

I would suggest that the only person who knows if his contract has contributed to his mental health is Boyd himself. His attitude towards the big bucks he is on may simply be "I literally won the club a flag, I've got more than enough runs on the board". Nobody knows for sure unless Boyd wants to go public with that sort of stuff, but you would probably expect he wouldn't given its a private matter.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Brown Paper Bag posted:

Do we blame Richmond or Hawthorn for this? Either is good really.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Nutsngum posted:

Do we blame Richmond or Hawthorn for this? Either is good really.

Yes

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Security footage of the incident in question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKDgjLf_rk4&t=22s

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

AFL diversity manager Ali Fahour has stood down from the role after being banned from playing football for life over a punch in a local league game.

Fahour was banned for 14 weeks by the Northern Football League on Wednesday night, taking his career total suspensions beyond the 16-week threshold which triggers deregistration from any league in Australia.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

AFL diversity manager Ali Fahour has stood down from the role after being banned from playing football for life over a punch in a local league game.

Fahour was banned for 14 weeks by the Northern Football League on Wednesday night, taking his career total suspensions beyond the 16-week threshold which triggers deregistration from any league in Australia.

Not that its not appropriate in this context but the mandatory ban irks the hell out of me.

Largely because I had a team mate cop a 3 week ban the other week for telling the umpire "theres two teams out there you know" then "dont bother pulling your card, ill take myself off". Was an absolute farce as the umps decided to "retroactivly upgrade" him to a red card and wasnt worth him contesting as he risked 5 weeks for doing nothing wrong. The umpires are often protected beyond any idea of reason even when they are utterly useless.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Daryl White was banned for life a few years ago in Qld as all his AFL suspensions counted:

quote:

n December 2011, White was temporarily deregistered for life from playing football under the Player Deregistration Policy, after a one match suspension for striking brought his career total suspensions to sixteen weeks – the threshold for deregistration. White appealed for re-registration, and the ban was overturned on 23 January 2012, with White permitted to return to playing, but additionally required to engage in community work and mentoring. White's life de-registration will be reinstated without recourse to appeal should he receive another suspension.[14]

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Nutsngum posted:

Not that its not appropriate in this context but the mandatory ban irks the hell out of me.

Largely because I had a team mate cop a 3 week ban the other week for telling the umpire "theres two teams out there you know" then "dont bother pulling your card, ill take myself off". Was an absolute farce as the umps decided to "retroactivly upgrade" him to a red card and wasnt worth him contesting as he risked 5 weeks for doing nothing wrong. The umpires are often protected beyond any idea of reason even when they are utterly useless.

The treatment your teammate got was harsh, but the only way to stamp out violence and umpire abuse in local football is to put down harsh penalties. Your teammate would have to do what he did 5 more times to go over the 16 game threshold - I doubt he'll do it again even once.

Verbal abuse of umpires shouldn't be 3 weeks but I completely understand why the leagues are so harsh on it.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
If the umpire has been proven to have made a mistake players should be able to harang them risk-free for 15 seconds.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I think the maddest I ever got at an umpires I was ten and they paid a bullshit free against jim Stynes which resulted in the dogs winning the game. The following week the umpire admitted he was wrong and the decision was a result of lingering effects from a car crash impairing his performance and retired from AFL level, and I've never considered that I might be wrong about an umpiring decision since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

The maddest I got at umpires was dressing in the same shade of pink as the Demons were wearing against the Bulldogs in a women's round game years ago. The Dees lost by less than a goal after Melbourne players clearly kicked the ball to the umpires several times during the game.

• Locked thread