Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
FFX endgame starts off beatable with endgame stats to needing min-max stats.
Teenage me zanmato'd most DA. then I met Yojimbo and Yojimbo required you to beat him 5 times. Needles to say I stopped there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Sefal posted:

Needles to say I stopped there.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Oh, The Zodiac Age releases next week? That's pretty cool I guess.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sefal posted:

FFX endgame starts off beatable with endgame stats to needing min-max stats.
Teenage me zanmato'd most DA. then I met Yojimbo and Yojimbo required you to beat him 5 times. Needles to say I stopped there.

FFX is famously beatable up to and including the Dark Aeons without ever using the sphere grid, summons or overdrives. It does require a certain magnitude of insanity above dodging 200 lightning bolts though.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Vargatron posted:

The FFX ultimate weapon unlocks were the most unfun grind in the series for me, especially the lightning dodging one.

Chocobo racing in the calm lands :suicide:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

More like angry lands

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Chocobo racing in the calm lands :suicide:

Oddly, that is the thing that I can do easily.
Catching butterflies however :negative:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Final Fantasy games have always been jealous girlfriends that test your loyalty through insane repetition and the passage of time. How much do you really love me? My last boyfriend would have waited for Shadow.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

exquisite tea posted:

FFX is famously beatable up to and including the Dark Aeons without ever using the sphere grid, summons or overdrives. It does require a certain magnitude of insanity above dodging 200 lightning bolts though.

You know, I think I would actually sit down and watch someone go through this ordeal on twitch or something. But the story scenes are unskipable in FF10. If it's RNG based, it sure would suck to die to a boss with a lengthy cutscene

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I don't understand people who think calm lands Chocobo race is hard. I got it like third try.

The temple race can go gently caress itself though

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Calm Land race has different race obstacle sets, some much more winnable than others. Winning for most players involves getting lucky on both that run as well as having that run be on a more winnable setup.

I just beat the game with Yuna and Auroms ultimates because gently caress that.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Sefal posted:

You know, I think I would actually sit down and watch someone go through this ordeal on twitch or something. But the story scenes are unskipable in FF10. If it's RNG based, it sure would suck to die to a boss with a lengthy cutscene

In practice an NSG run actually goes much faster because you rush to Rikku and use No Encounters for 95% of the game.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
That makes sense. But I figure some bosses could serve as obstacles?

I feel for the people who got exactly 0.00 but no sigil.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Sefal posted:

What about a 100% speedrun that ends right before the final boss becuase of bad RNG?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Electric Phantasm posted:

What about a 100% speedrun that ends right before the final boss becuase of bad RNG?

seriously?

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
i'd feel for the runner. but that would be funny to witness. Please don't tell me it was a very long game?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Kelp Me! posted:

seriously?

Nope, it's actually Nemesis% which means killing the dude that requires you to capture 10 of every monster.

Sefal posted:

i'd feel for the runner. but that would be funny to witness. Please don't tell me it was a very long game?

It ended at the 23 hour mark.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Electric Phantasm posted:

Nope, it's actually Nemesis% which means killing the dude that requires you to capture 10 of every monster.

It ended at the 23 hour mark.

I didn't know that existed, what monster is that?

So he killed everything including Dark Aeons but then got hosed on the last boss? What happened?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I only got like the two easiest ultimate weapons in FFX.

I never did dark aeons. Were those even in the US release?

Not gonna lie I cheesed most bosses by going in with full overdrives, but hey whatever works. :cheeky: I remember most fights being completely trivial and then suddenly like the last Seymour fight was actually hard or something.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Dark Aeons were not in the original US release but were in the International version and then all subsequent re-releases of the game thereafter, including the HD remaster.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

exquisite tea posted:

Dark Aeons were not in the original US release but were in the International version and then all subsequent re-releases of the game thereafter, including the HD remaster.

Yeah that's what I thought. I started a game in the HD remaster but haven't gotten far in it. I'd rather play XII than X, I did everything in X (except a few ultimates and the dark aeons) and never finished XII.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Sefal posted:

Eswoogi runs it in about 10-11 hours. Can definitely bite it right at the end.

Edit: Non 100% run, missed that.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Kelp Me! posted:

I didn't know that existed, what monster is that?

So he killed everything including Dark Aeons but then got hosed on the last boss? What happened?

It was vanilla FFX so not that bad

You know that room before the last boss where you collect the crystals? I can't remember if it was a Malboro or a floating eye, but one got his party confused and then at that point all he could was watch his entire party kill themselves and his last save was a long while back.

Edit: Nemesis was a souped Omega Weapon and The superboss before the Dark Aeons and Penance.

Electric Phantasm fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 5, 2017

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

OneDeadman posted:

I don't understand people who think calm lands Chocobo race is hard. I got it like third try.

The temple race can go gently caress itself though

See I'm like the exact opposite. Beat the temple race first try without even really knowing what was going on but that calm lands race is the dumbest poo poo ever. I think it's mostly because the calm lands forces you to deal with awful drunk driving controls for god knows what reason.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Gobblecoque posted:

See I'm like the exact opposite. Beat the temple race first try without even really knowing what was going on but that calm lands race is the dumbest poo poo ever. I think it's mostly because the calm lands forces you to deal with awful drunk driving controls for god knows what reason.

Yeah, as someone was saying earlier there's a few different balloon patterns. If you get a decent run on one of the good ones it's not too bad, but it is RNG waiting for a good pattern and then needing to get a good run on top of it. I found the butterflies to be the biggest pain in the rear end.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Crossposting from the FF14 thread, my contribution to the Internet via hotlink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOzM4ClFG1o

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
I'm sure that Cid from 15 had some inspiration from my favourite game of 2011, monday night combat's pitgirls.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I thought it was weird she wasn't in the final chapter

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

I thought it was weird she wasn't in the final chapter

They probably did not have the time to create additional new character models considering.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

exquisite tea posted:

Final Fantasy games have always been jealous girlfriends that test your loyalty through insane repetition and the passage of time. How much do you really love me? My last boyfriend would have waited for Shadow.

what kind of rear end in a top hat doesn't wait for shadow

an ultimate weapon is a little different from your merc bro who had your back on the ghost train

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

what kind of rear end in a top hat doesn't wait for shadow

an ultimate weapon is a little different from your merc bro who had your back on the ghost train

Sorry, I dont have room in my party for dawdlers.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
To be fair, there is a pretty fool-proof way to dodge 200 lightning bolts:

https://youtu.be/te-ihMHRtJ8

I followed that, and it worked out well. I only messed up twice, first was at 20 because I had a lapse in judgment. Second was around 180 because I double tapped X. It takes around 15 minutes. I would take small breaks every 50 dodges to wipe the sweat off my hands and drink some water.

To go through other ultimate weapons:

Tidus: probably 2nd most frustrating. It's half skill and RNG. I consistently started getting my times below 12 seconds before I lucked into a perfect run.

Kihmari: really isn't too bad, just takes some practice. You're allowed to hit 1 red butterfly and still finish in time.

Wakka: as long as you cheese the blitzball reward system, it isn't too bad. Will require a few soft resets. Start blitzball early, and backtrack to Besaid to get Vilucha as your other forward aside Tidus, to Kilika to get Tatts as your midfielder, snag Wedge at Luca to be your defender (you'll probably have to play him at forward first), Zalitz in Luca, and Kyou at Djose as your goalie (or grab any goalie, there's a lot available early on better than Keepa). Replace Zalitz with Ropp in the mid 20s, and Kyou with Nimrook when you get the airship. Your team will win easily.

Yuna and Auron: if you're going for a 100% run, you'll get this easily.

Rikku: time consuming if anything, especially if you want the best rewards / AP from the cactuars.

Playing through FFX again has been really fun. I like the story a lot more as an adult, and have grown to like all the characters in their own certain way. Tidus is just a dumb dude that doesn't get religion. Yuna tries hard, and loves her friends to a fault. Kihmari is a lost soul who found purpose in his life. Wakka is the blitzball version of Tim Tebow, religious zealot who's retired from the game but not really. Lulu was made to look goth, but she never really comes across that way unless you talk about Chappu. Rikku is a persecuted minority that still manages to stay happy, part of me thinks it would have been a good social queue had they given her darker skin. Auron manages to stay alive because of a friend's wish.

Even Seymour is up there in terms of my favorite enemy. Dude abuses power and religion to gently caress over the people he doesn't like, and literally refuses to die. I think he would have been a much better boss rep for Dissidia over Jecht. I wish the game had a few more quality of life improvements, like making the cloister trials not such a slog, or giving us a load option rather than soft resetting to the opening screen. Oh well.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Tidus was a good boy who didn't give up even though he knew it meant guaranteed death.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The ffx party is very good and cool.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I liked FFX because I think it was the series' first successful attempt at building an internally consistent setting, with histories and locations in the world that at least kind of made sense as opposed to medieval castles floating right next to mechanized cities. Spira felt like its own self-contained place rather than a pastiche of settings from other fiction. But most importantly, you can think of FFX as the extended prologue for the unquestionably amazing FFX-2.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I agree with the above praise of the cast and setting. I think and I've said this before, it all comes down to the pacing. FFX has extremely good storytelling where you have a set goal from pretty much the beginning and everything is expanded and revealed very smoothy. Everyone feels relevant and developed throughout the game.

Only potential exception is Lulu because some of her stuff is optional and in terms of gameplay value, she loses a lot of her worth by... I dunno, Bikanel or the Calm Lands.

dukerson
Dec 28, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I agree with the above praise of the cast and setting. I think and I've said this before, it all comes down to the pacing. FFX has extremely good storytelling where you have a set goal from pretty much the beginning and everything is expanded and revealed very smoothy. Everyone feels relevant and developed throughout the game.

Only potential exception is Lulu because some of her stuff is optional and in terms of gameplay value, she loses a lot of her worth by... I dunno, Bikanel or the Calm Lands.

This is also probably my biggest complaint of the game: almost all of the optional content is dumped on you right at the end, right as the plot hits its climax.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Black magic becoming obsolete in favor of summons is a time honored tradition in Final Fantasy. Lulu is great early on, however.

I felt like Rikku could have used more development in X beyond being Yuna's cousin of a different race, but I'm guessing gets addressed in X2 (which admittedly I haven't beat yet, but plan to go through after beating this run of X).

I really liked the social commentary on people blindly following religion even if it means turning away scientific advancement. Having Wakka be a poster child for that was a good narrativr, and then slowly changing his mind as he finds out that Rikku is a decent person, and not a terrorist was cool too.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Summons have been more useless as time goes on. I think FFX is the only one to buck the trend out of the last....uh...when were Summons the best again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Tae posted:

Summons have been more useless as time goes on. I think FFX is the only one to buck the trend out of the last....uh...when were Summons the best again?

Somewhere between 3 to 5. It was probably FF4