Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Tatsuta Age posted:

I guess what I mean is, I can use prime or gcu for physical games, is there any equivalent way to do that for digital?
Closest thing is GameStop's trade in deal bonus going on right now...if you have enough games to trade in: 60-70% extra if you trade six or more games. Some people have traded in their physical copies (that they got at Prime/GCU price), which basically get full retail value back, then buy eShop cards to buy them all back digitally.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Will the switch put audio out through the headphone jack while docked or is audio only on HDMI then?
Headphone jack works while docked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Imagined posted:

I don't understand. How much does localising an SNES game cost? Do they really think they wouldn't at least make that much back?

i mean there were a number of things they'd probably need to sanitize a little for a western release, too. sd3 was the weird one where everyone sleeps naked, and also they draw the full sprite under the blanket because ??? among other various minor sprite alterations. the script is also fairly extensive and there are three... not distinct endgame paths, but somewhat divergent scripts because the main villain changes between three different factions depending on who your main character is.

for secret of mana 2/sd3 specifically, it would require some fairly extensive work. it's a more particular case than most snes games, they'd have to rework more bringing sd3 over than they would bringing over bahamut lagoon.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Phantasium posted:

Doing better than SaGa though.

Romancing SaGa 2, a Japanese-exclusive SNES JRPG from 24 years ago, received its first official English translation release on iOS/Android (Vita later) a little over a year ago.

Now SaGa SCARLET GRACE is probably never going to come overseas unless Square-Enix wants to do something different with it but with regards to actual new, unseen content getting localizations I'd say SaGa is doing better.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Policenaut posted:

Romancing SaGa 2, a Japanese-exclusive SNES JRPG from 24 years ago, received its first official English translation release on iOS/Android (Vita later) a little over a year ago.

I was commenting more on the fact that both series got US mobile games that were slated for a Vita release and only Mana got theirs.

Though honestly that's more on the Vita's slow ride into irrelevance than either series popularity.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Imagined posted:

I don't understand. How much does localising an SNES game cost? Do they really think they wouldn't at least make that much back?

The White Dragon posted:

i mean there were a number of things they'd probably need to sanitize a little for a western release, too. sd3 was the weird one where everyone sleeps naked, and also they draw the full sprite under the blanket because ??? among other various minor sprite alterations. the script is also fairly extensive and there are three... not distinct endgame paths, but somewhat divergent scripts because the main villain changes between three different factions depending on who your main character is.

for secret of mana 2/sd3 specifically, it would require some fairly extensive work. it's a more particular case than most snes games, they'd have to rework more bringing sd3 over than they would bringing over bahamut lagoon.

Also translating this stuff is not just translating, it is reworking piles of fairly obscure assembler code, and it would be far from surprising if they have lost any original annotated version and now only have the actual ROM to disassemble. The expertise required is such that it is likely they'd actually have to pull a programmer off of working on some actually new thing for a non-trivial amount of time.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

we're proud to announce the seiken densetsu collection is coming stateside but yet again you're getting secret of evermore instead of sd3

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Phantasium posted:

we're proud to announce the seiken densetsu collection is coming stateside but yet again you're getting secret of evermore instead of sd3

no lie i would get a switch for evermore

also iirc the last time we didn't get sd3, one of the reasons was because of memory limits? it's an utterly gigantic game and i doubt multiplying the amount of text by almost a magnitude would do it any favors re: fitting onto an snes cart.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 5, 2017

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

spit on my clit posted:

didnt we shun you from posting here

If you did you did an extremely poor job.

As I haven't really posted anything objectionable here and didn't know anyone was mad at me.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Louisgod posted:

Got the iVAPO glass screen protectors 2-pack from Amazon today for $5 and wow these things kill the Hori protectors. It looks and feels better than the Hori screen protectors and once it sticks there were zero bubbles I had to gently caress with. The beveled edges give it a much better look, it feels better and the glass gives the screen a super clear picture. Definitely pick these up if you haven't already.

Also got my replacement joycons today, which only took like four days to fix. A++++ poo poo all around, Switch owns

We joke about things being perfect in this thread, but chalk up glass screen protectors as a thing that are perfect for the switch. They actually make the screen feel better for touch operation, and I agree they make the picture pop more. I think it's the glossy vs matte thing that makes glossy monitors look like they have better colors.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

no lie i would get a switch for evermore

also iirc the last time we didn't get sd3, one of the reasons was because of memory limits? it's an utterly gigantic game and i doubt multiplying the amount of text by almost a magnitude would do it any favors re: fitting onto an snes cart.

I was more under the impression it was a timing thing, since it came out late '95 in Japan and puts it up against localizing a late gen SNES game when PS1 and N64 games are being shown and released.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Also translating this stuff is not just translating, it is reworking piles of fairly obscure assembler code, and it would be far from surprising if they have lost any original annotated version and now only have the actual ROM to disassemble. The expertise required is such that it is likely they'd actually have to pull a programmer off of working on some actually new thing for a non-trivial amount of time.

Can't they just let Atlus do it?

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I genuinely don't know why I can't get Prime discounts on digital codes via Amazon, but yeah, there's no such way.

I think it's a combination of lower profit margin on the digital stuff and their completely insignificant inventory cost.

I'm pulling these two out of my rear end but that's the best I can come up with. None of it makes sense otherwise, especially when you consider that retail PC games get the discounts and those are essentially empty boxes with steam codes these days.

Pc digital is treated like a pysical product whereas the console stuff are treated as two distinct products. I think it's the Xbox One dystopia happened we might have seen the lines blur. Now we are in this weird space where physical games have higher manufacturing and distribution costs while also being cheaper and have aftermarket value. It makes no sense.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

I've been reading this week's Famitsu which has a feature on UBIsoft, and the Japanese release for Mario/Rabbids is listed as "2018".

I'm so glad the Switch is region free.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

They should add the portal gun to the next Zelda game.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Zore posted:

I still wish we were getting XCX 2 tbh. Better faces and skell stuff interest me a hell of a lot more than whatever XC2 is doing.
XCX's faces were loving atrocious

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
I received 1-2 Switch as a gift. It's fun, but why the hell was it not a pack-in title?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Morby posted:

I received 1-2 Switch as a gift. It's fun, but why the hell was it not a pack-in title?

I think originally it was. The loving switch packaging has a little slot got a game.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
God so I loving suck at Bomberman.

I haven't won a single game in 3 hours of play. Even online against people

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

When people are talking about buying additional memory, is there another slot on the Switch for expanding the storage or is it just that you put an SDcard where the games go

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

When people are talking about buying additional memory, is there another slot on the Switch for expanding the storage or is it just that you put an SDcard where the games go

http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22404/~/how-to-insert%2Fremove-microsd-cards

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Jonas Albrecht posted:

They should add the portal gun to the next Zelda game.

This but when you use it you switch between light/dark world.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If you're trying to buy an SD card and have Amazon Prime it may be worthwhile to wait until the 11th when their Prime sale starts. They may have something on sale.

Unless you need a card right this second.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Guy Goodbody posted:

Can't they just let Atlus do it?

It probably isn't worth the money for them, which sucks. I wonder if they collection did get localized if there would be resurgence in SoM hype. I doubt it, but drat... you can dream.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I mean that's also kind of the problem, the west only ever seemed to care about Secret and SD3 and when it didn't get the latter the interest died off.

And now we're getting it as part of the SNES Classic so it's another reason not to bother with bringing that collection stateside.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Revoke VideoGames title changing powers

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Also his mod status

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
reported

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Naw

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Louisgod posted:

Got the iVAPO glass screen protectors 2-pack from Amazon today for $5 and wow these things kill the Hori protectors.

Anyone have recommendation for similar in Australia? Can't find these apart from ebay ones that are stuck with $25AUD shipping on top of the $10AUD price.

Toast King fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jul 6, 2017

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Oh hey Platinum Games new twitter is tweeting neat pict-
https://mobile.twitter.com/platinumgames_j/status/882798952407416832
:stare:

Don't play me like this with Bayo and W101, Platinum

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

jabro posted:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DOB6YW4/

Got that one for $40 a couple weeks ago. It works. Seems they have the newer one available for not much.

Even after the currency conversion and import fees, these are like, 33% cheaper here than anywhere in Canada. What a loving joke.

(Thanks, I bought one :cheers: )

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Dr. VooDoo posted:

:stare:

I almost didn't notice those tiny joycons.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I'd be shocked if it's a port of W101, let alone a sequel.:eyepop:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Every game on switch should have boobs or a boob slider.

Tetris does. That's what puyo poyus are.

Splatoon should have one, but it only affects Judd.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Dr. VooDoo posted:

!!!!!!

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Phantasium posted:

I almost didn't notice those tiny joycons.

Famicom controller Joycons, from the look of them.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

TVs Ian posted:

Famicom controller Joycons, from the look of them.

also there are switch logos on the grips they're using

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

If we don't get a W101 on the switch or god help us a sequel I'm gonna be so loving upset now.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

You're getting anarchy reigns and you'll loving like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

not gonna lie, getting Switch ports for Bayo 1, 2, and W101 would be loving awesome, as would scooping Kamiya back up for a new game.

Getting new Kamiya/Suda51 games for Switch would be absolutely fantastic.

• Locked thread