Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Mukaikubo posted:

. . . first instinct is to walk to 0932 facing NE and open up with all four autocannons on the Timber Wolf . . .

Yes, would be great if the southern 'Flank' can draw some attention at range.

There is sufficient cover down south to play 'peek-a-boo' for awhile; ideally this will make a hole or two for the northern 'Flank' to either punch through with minimal damage, or split their forces and we grind them up piecemeal in the middle of the map.

Just don't want that Stonerhino and his friends to murder-hole us all while we bottle-neck through that H2 wall (although, I do have jump jets).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Interesting starting positions. I suspect my Naginata will be working with the Jagermech most of the battle delivering what should be pretty powerful volleys at a good range. We won't last long under a concentrated assault, but it looks like the Clan mechs are staggered enough and there is enough stuff to block LoS that we should be able to endure for a while.

Comedy option: We get overrun and Mukakubo is taken as bondsman again.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Mechwarrior King has a reputation for being unbeatable, but this is only strictly true wrt videogames.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Xarbala posted:

Mechwarrior King has a reputation for being unbeatable, but this is only strictly true wrt videogames.

Can confirm. I'm more disappointed everyone is ignoring Mechwarrior David. He enjoys mech fishing on fridays and is really looking forward to eating at the mech olive garden this weekend.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

kingcom posted:

. . . He enjoys mech fishing on fridays and is really looking forward to eating at the mech olive garden this weekend.

I'm cancelling his plans for this weekend.

'Mech olive garden will have to wait until after he learns to chew again.

:ocelot:

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

CourValant posted:

:getin:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

CourValant posted:

This guy gets it. :black101:

Don't forget the Balius is a quad. No arms, no torso twist, get outside the front fire arc and you can bully it with impunity, provided you're mindful of the CLPL in the rear arc. Needless to say it packs a hell of a punch to the fore.

Glass Spiders are glass cannons. I love them, but no critsinks and limited campaign durability.

.That 6/9/6 LBX20 Nova is all kinds of nasty.

Also, I must reiterate, STONE. RHINO.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Battlemaster checking in. I was thinking about moving up the hill to either 1203 or 0904, however I do not have the MP for the latter and the former would limit my options after 1 turn of plinking and opening myself up to the Stone Rhino, Gargoyle and Balius taking an ER Laser shaped Gauss hole out of my armor.

Instead, I am thinking move to 0803, facing 0804 and then next turn based on Clan movement I can go up one of the hills and fire.

Open to any recommendations.

Also, can the monitors support the weight of a mech?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Xarbala posted:

I just want you to know that i got this reference, and appreciate it greatly.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Jew it to it! posted:

Battlemaster checking in. I was thinking about moving up the hill to either 1203 or 0904, however I do not have the MP for the latter and the former would limit my options after 1 turn of plinking and opening myself up to the Stone Rhino, Gargoyle and Balius taking an ER Laser shaped Gauss hole out of my armor.

Instead, I am thinking move to 0803, facing 0804 and then next turn based on Clan movement I can go up one of the hills and fire.

With you're sword in hand and a lot of los blocking cover im kind of in the opinion you should just bolt straight forward this turn to 0704, means next turn you can go south or turn into the bay at a +2 movement mod depending on where they move out around.

The only reason you don't is if you want to throw those 2 PPCs at the nova there early by running to 1105. Cleaning off its LBX20 would be really handy but maybe thats a job for the other lancemates.

EDIT: That second option will leave you kinda exposed though.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jul 6, 2017

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

paragon1 posted:

I just want you to know that i got this reference, and appreciate it greatly.

I wasn't sure if it was a Tekken joke or not.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

AJ_Impy posted:

Don't forget the Balius is a quad.

Don't worry, quads don't seem to have much luck in this campaign.

Now if only it came equipped with MASC...

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Jew it to it! posted:

If you go to 1103 you can plug the Nova with both PPCs on 6es and it can't hit you back with the LBX20. You'll be at 10 hexes range and it's big gun only shoots 9 hexes. It's also the only clan mech with LoS atm, so you're not really exposed to anything. Next turn you can either go forwards behind the height 3 building on the docks, or back out and go around with the wall for cover depending on the Clanner moves.

Yakumo
Oct 7, 2008
Hatamoto-Chi checking in here. I'm not a complete Battletech newbie but I'm not particularly experienced so I'm going to be relying on you guys to tell me if I'm planning something stupid.

At first glance I think I want to run to 1103 and put two PPCs on the Nova. That thing will be a beast up close so I'd like to put some holes in it before it gets there, and I'm not exposing myself to much return fire since I'm only in range of his ER Medium. If I'm reading this right LOS to the Stone Rhino would run directly along the hex edge, so I would be able to decline if it wanted to take a long gauss shot at me, correct? Wait, no, that building next to the gap screws that up anyway, doesn't it.

Fake Edit: Or the Battlemaster could but that's the only hex I can reach that I have a shot at anything. I can stop short if needed, but mechs don't block LOS, right? So he could shoot from 1102 if we want four PPCs, or do some maneuvering for the future instead. I'm open to suggestions.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Yakumo posted:

Hatamoto-Chi checking in here. I'm not a complete Battletech newbie but I'm not particularly experienced so I'm going to be relying on you guys to tell me if I'm planning something stupid.

At first glance I think I want to run to 1103 and put two PPCs on the Nova. That thing will be a beast up close so I'd like to put some holes in it before it gets there, and I'm not exposing myself to much return fire since I'm only in range of his ER Medium. If I'm reading this right LOS to the Stone Rhino would run directly along the hex edge, so I would be able to decline if it wanted to take a long gauss shot at me, correct?

Fake Edit: Or the Battlemaster could but that's the only hex I can reach that I have a shot at anything. I can stop short if needed, but mechs don't block LOS, right? So he could shoot from 1102 if we want four PPCs, or do some maneuvering for the future instead. I'm open to suggestions.

I'm absolutely in favour of you taking the shot since you've not really got anything else to go, have the battlemaster got to 1104 in front of you and have the pair of you double tap it imo.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
No reason at all that the Battle master can't take 1102, and that actually makes his shots even better! He only has to walk to get there. Then you can take 1103 and both unload on that Nova.

e: Technically if you want to go all out on KILL THE NOVA (Which is not a bad play really), then you need to let the Mauler have 1102. It has no torso twist, so it doesn't have enough MP to get to 1101 and still be able to get the arcs to shoot the Nova. It will be able to shoot on 7s, Hanse can still shoot on 7es, and you'd have 7s as well.

The Sagittaire could take 1104 and shoot with both LPLs and ERPPC, but it would actually be able to take return fire. Tossup as to whether you guys want to carefully husband your armor at this point, the Nova would have I think 8ish to hit back.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jul 6, 2017

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Three Assault 'Mechs all unloading on a single poor-bastard Nova would be a very nice Big drat Heroes moment.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Gwaihir posted:

No reason at all that the Battle master can't take 1102, and that actually makes his shots even better! He only has to walk to get there. Then you can take 1103 and both unload on that Nova.

e: Technically if you want to go all out on KILL THE NOVA (Which is not a bad play really), then you need to let the Mauler have 1102. It has no torso twist, so it doesn't have enough MP to get to 1101 and still be able to get the arcs to shoot the Nova. It will be able to shoot on 7s, Hanse can still shoot on 7es, and you'd have 7s as well.

Yeah I'm mostly not sure if the M2 buildings block line of sight (to make sure the stone rhino cant shoot anything). If its blocked then yeah everyone take moves to line up down the 1100 corridor and blast the station nova while you can.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
M2 should stand for Medium (height 2), so if it's level with a 'Mech it definitely blocks line of sight.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Gwaihir posted:

M2 should stand for Medium (height 2), so if it's level with a 'Mech it definitely blocks line of sight.

Perfect, should be safe to form a PPC conga line then.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah the north side has a bunch of walls that break los and, incidentally, the Sagittaire has barely enough to jump height to take advantage of it. The south, though, is a killzone.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007

Ok, Battlemaster moving to 1103, facing 1104. Unloading PPC's on Nova.

I would like to move to melee and use the sword but that Balius is scary at close range.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Jew it to it! posted:

I would like to move to melee and use the sword but that Balius is scary at close range.

Check up a couple posts, your team can all wedge in and unload on the Nova en masse, but it requires some careful shuffling and swapping spots!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Skoll posted:

I wasn't sure if it was a Tekken joke or not.

It is not.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
As the Nova afficionado of the MWO goons, I think I am intimately familiar with how that Nova pilot is about to feel.

Kickass Harpsichord
Dec 3, 2009
Mauler pilot checking in here. I've tooled around a fair bit in MegaMek, but that's the limit of my experience, so I'm definitely also willing to learn from you all.

I like the current anti-Nova plan, and I'm planning to move to 1102 and fire. What I would really like some advice on is heat management. If I'm reading the rules correctly, since I sink 20 per turn, I can gain up to 24 heat this turn without suffering any ill effects. I'm gaining +2 from running, which leaves me with roughly 22 left for weapons fire. I can fire both ERLLs (which would put me at 26), or I can fire one ERLL, all four light ACs, and one LRM-15 (which would put me at 23), or one ERLL and both LRMs (which would put me at 24). Which would you recommend? (Or is there something I haven't thought of?)

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Kickass Harpsichord posted:

Mauler pilot checking in here. I've tooled around a fair bit in MegaMek, but that's the limit of my experience, so I'm definitely also willing to learn from you all.

I like the current anti-Nova plan, and I'm planning to move to 1102 and fire. What I would really like some advice on is heat management. If I'm reading the rules correctly, since I sink 20 per turn, I can gain up to 24 heat this turn without suffering any ill effects. I'm gaining +2 from running, which leaves me with roughly 22 left for weapons fire. I can fire both ERLLs (which would put me at 26), or I can fire one ERLL, all four light ACs, and one LRM-15 (which would put me at 23), or one ERLL and both LRMs (which would put me at 24). Which would you recommend? (Or is there something I haven't thought of?)

In terms of potential damage output, I think your best bet is the four light autocannons and both LRMs. the ERLL has marginally better holepunch capability but not by much, and hopefully all the PPCs will open up some holes to exploit. Thoughts?

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

This setup is a bit brutal, there must be some way to get reinforcements, or it's on a timer.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

I wonder what are on the Monitors?

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Artificer posted:

I wonder what are on the Monitors?

Didn't we see one in the Rasalhague mission when Jaime Wolf showed up? I'm pretty sure it carried an AC/20 then.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Standard Monitor is 2xAC/20 and 3xSRM-2. If you can get sixteen of them on to the board, even if each one only shoots once before fleeing, that's a LOT of firepower. I'd investigate that option ASAP.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

Gwaihir posted:

The empty green area is just grass, so the hovercraft can enter it just fine. Only the hexes with trees actually in them like 1534 are woods hexes.

Thanks.

quote:

I wouldn't give line of sight yet personally. You're paired with two extreme long range machines who are shortly going to need close in back guarding from Eponas swooping in to short range, where all their firepower takes serious penalties. You're probably going to need to closely save your armor and AC20 ammo given how serious the OpFor is, for better shots than long range dice rolls. Although, with Gunnery 1 you do have a tonnnn more flexibility in making those shots count, but you're going to need it against those 9/14 tanks.

Not giving line of sight requires hiding behind the building - and it limits my options next round, especially if they don't close up. Or go prone.

Mukaikubo posted:

when the Eponas come to strike at close range since I am not going to be very good in a knife fight.
My job, isn't it?

Alright, still thinking out loud, I could:
1.Get in position to engage Timber Wolf. may be too aggressive (hex 1632)
2. Get in position to engage Summoner - if he decide to close up. If. (hex 1232/1333)
3. Get behind the building - deny line of sight and prepare to engage Eponas next round. Limits my options beside that, and it just . (hexes 0935/0834)
4. Block the road to the Eponas (at 1433, for example) - if they want to close up on the lance, they will need to climb. (hex 1433/1533)
All of them can respond to aggressive hovercrafts - 1 and 2 less so.
So far, option 4 (prone?) looks like it will give me cover for now, the most options for next round , and block the hovercrafts. However, said option will be lesser than the other approaches.

On an unrelated and unimportant note ;
The wreck at 1021 - anyone recognize the 'Mech?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

I meant I thought we were covering their retreat? So whats on them that's so important? Crew/soldiers?

edit: Maybe it was the rifleman described in the fluff as having "been shaken into its component parts."

RIP the poor fucker in that mech.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
'Sag' here

Jew it to it! posted:

Battlemaster checking in . . . . I am thinking move to 0803, facing 0804 and then next turn based on Clan movement I can go up one of the hills and fire.

Sounds good, I'm running to 704 and could use the company. Depending on the Clanner's reactions, I say we 'right hook' down there flank 'em.

Kickass Harpsichord posted:

Mauler pilot checking in . . . I'm planning to move to 1102 and fire.

Yes, let's start putting some steel on target, see how they react. If the Southern Flank can draw some attention as well, that may start breaking them up, and the Battlemaster and I can sneak up to do what we do best.

I still can't believe I get a base -1 to hit on gunnery when 'aiming high', before movement modifiers.

AJ_Impy posted:

Don't forget the Balius is a quad. No arms, no torso twist, get outside the front fire arc and you can bully it with impunity,

Thanks for the tip, I actually did forget the Balius is a quad. (smile)

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Gun Jam posted:

Or go prone.
I would suggest not going prone. It severely limits your options in future rounds.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
For you guys up north just make sure everyone knows who's taking what hex, heh, lest we have some unintentional charge attacks going on!

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
[madden mode: ON]

"Now, now look, this is a tough defense on the field, a lot of strength, and a lot of speed too. I'm not real sure what that formation is right now, but they use a lot of different ones. What you really have to watch out for is that Stone Rhino, now there's a defensive playmaker, someone who always seems to be able to just reach out and do just enough to trip up a runner. Never quits on a play."

"One thing I like in this situation for the offense is these little corridors here. There's not a lot of room to maneuver, and obviously, you know, that can - that can uh be dangerous for the offense too. You gotta have a real field general, keep the guys organized on the field, make sure you're not running into your own blockers. That's a good way to lose some yards, let the defense just pound your playmakers. But if the guys on the field can communicate well and execute and get to their spots, they can use those corridors for all kinds of things. Running little pick plays to open up running room, getting good double-team blocks and isolating the rest of the defense. You know, it's really the little things like that that win you football games and let your playmakers do their thing."

"I'll tell you, Al, it's going to be real interesting to see how the offense approaches this first drive. If they can put some points on the board early - well, you have to score more than the other team to win the game, and scoring early at least means you already scored some points."

[madden mode: OFF]

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Fraction Jackson posted:

. . . if the guys on the field can communicate well and execute and get to their spots, they can use those corridors for all kinds of things. Running little pick plays to open up running room, getting good double-team blocks and isolating the rest of the defense . . . .

You read my mind Coach!!! (smile)

Can I interest you in narrating my day-to-day routine?

"Which breakfast cereal is he going to go with today Al!!!"

Yakumo
Oct 7, 2008

Jew it to it! posted:

Just going to remind you that 1103 is the only hex I can get to that I can see anything to shoot. If we all want to gang up on that Nova, you should probably end in 1104. If you have a reason you want to hang back, please let me know and I can adjust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007

Yakumo posted:

Just going to remind you that 1103 is the only hex I can get to that I can see anything to shoot. If we all want to gang up on that Nova, you should probably end in 1104. If you have a reason you want to hang back, please let me know and I can adjust.

Got it, amended my orders to reflect moving to 1104.

• Locked thread