Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I just bought The Fall cause I was all like, how bad can it be that it's not worth £1.12? Sweet Jesus it sucks so hard its basically upsetting to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
What are you talking about, Deus Ex: The Fall is perfectly fine as a ga-

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Momomo posted:

What are you talking about, Deus Ex: The Fall is perfectly fine as a ga-

To be fair, it does look a fair bit less wonky after what I assume are a bunch of patches. There's some hilarious re-use of textures though. These pics are across from each other in the same tiny room:

Yep, very natural guys, well done.

Also they shoehorn in some references but I don't buy that Gunther would ever insert a smiley face in an email :colbert:

I'm gonna force myself to finish it though so lets see how much worse this baby gets.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

I've never played the original Deus Ex past the first level, I should get on that. What mods should I use for a vanilla-but-modern / polished experience, if any? The OP was last updated in 2013.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Woebin posted:

I've never played the original Deus Ex past the first level, I should get on that. What mods should I use for a vanilla-but-modern / polished experience, if any? The OP was last updated in 2013.
People are going to screech into the thread with "you don't need mods, vanilla DE is fine", but you certainly won't have a worse experience if you use Biomod.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Never play vanilla when you can use biomod.

That's the only mod you need, though, the rest are mostly better textures/remade models.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Haha sorry I take it back. I literally just got to that part and saw that guy

I am excited to see if it has any semblance of a proper hub or something now. Turns out the first long slog I was on before was literally all prologue. Or possibly the game is about to end on that massive cliffhanger I keep expecting.

Also I like to think this isn't a low poly thing but just what Namir's nose looks like after Adam cold-clocked him in the boss fight in HR:

jojoinnit fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 4, 2017

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Vanilla is the best imo, all the other stuff just adds things you don't need and might make it run slower if you play on a laptop.

Even the high res textures add stuff like posters from 2012 celebrities in Paris and stuff. Just random bloat that ends up being out of place

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Its ok if you want to always play biomod from here on out but new players should try vanilla first. They aren't playing it because it's the hot new game with the hot new features.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

lol if you're a "new" deus ex player

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Definitely play vanilla first. The good mods still take out a lot of exploits that might make the game less frustrating if you just want to beat the game.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Lemon-Lime posted:

Never play vanilla when you can use biomod.

That's the only mod you need, though, the rest are mostly better textures/remade models.

Yeah, I took people's advice and played vanilla the first time through, and while it wasn't terrible, I kind of wish I had just used mods from the start because playing it vanilla didn't really add anything to my experience.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Prav posted:

lol if you're a "new" deus ex player

???

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

Yeah, I took people's advice and played vanilla the first time through, and while it wasn't terrible, I kind of wish I had just used mods from the start because playing it vanilla didn't really add anything to my experience.

Not only that, but 90% of what biomod does is balance changes that remove trap options from the game, which will straight up improve your experience as a new player.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
What are the trap options?

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Psycho Society posted:

What are the trap options?

Swimming. :colbert:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Also environmental training. Arguably low-tech weapons.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
That's true, I usually take for granted that I know not to put points into those. Not trying to be Michael Phelps over here

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Lemon-Lime posted:

Not only that, but 90% of what biomod does is balance changes that remove trap options from the game, which will straight up improve your experience as a new player.
Having some of your augs use zero energy until needed or exist as a permanent buff to cut back on clicking, sure seals the deal.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I don't know if Swimming counts as a trap option. It's not great, but it's also incredibly cheap to max out. There's no way you won't have enough skill points to upgrade whatever else you want over the course of the game.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

double nine posted:

Arguably low-tech weapons.

Spoken like someone who opens doors with the doorknob instead of with an energy sword. :colbert:

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Samuel Clemens posted:

I don't know if Swimming counts as a trap option. It's not great, but it's also incredibly cheap to max out. There's no way you won't have enough skill points to upgrade whatever else you want over the course of the game.

one level in swimming is so very worth it just for general QOL

sure you can get to all the same places without it but it's so much easier with

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I agree with that. Hyperspecializing in swimming is a waste, but for just 600xp or whatever it is, it's some tiny amount, it's absolutely worth a single rank in swimming. There are a quite a few areas that are best accessed via water, and while you can get to all of them without taking any points in swimming because of rebreather/aqualung/regeneration, for such a small investment it's worth it.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

The problem is not that swimming is expensive, it's that it's uninteresting. Biomod doesn't make it cheaper, it replaces it with a skill that does more.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

double nine posted:

Arguably low-tech weapons.

No.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Doc Hawkins posted:

The problem is not that swimming is expensive, it's that it's uninteresting. Biomod doesn't make it cheaper, it replaces it with a skill that does more.

What does biomod replace it with?

Ok, fine. I'd forgotten about the dragon tooth sword, it's been a long time since I played.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
I put some points into swimming the first time I played because I couldn't find out how to get into the sub hanger in the underwater base, so I just swam into the exit.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

double nine posted:

What does biomod replace it with?

Athletics. It boosts swim speed, run speed, jump height...I believe it also enables mantling? I dunno, there's a detailed readme if you want the exact answer. What I remember is that it's fun and helps with all kinds of playstyles and approaches.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Doesn't Biomod gimp the Dragons Tooth so it's no longer a viable lockpick though?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

it lockpicks some stuff, but not everything. 10 damage (*10) to a crowbars 12 iirc. something like that, anyway.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Would you still have to download half a dozen weird mods when GMDX becomes available?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I was tinkering around with Revision. I haven't played it enough to tender any informed opinions, but I liked that they set it up on Steam to include Biomod and/or Shifter. There were a bunch of ways to alter the game as well, but most were just to make the game harder. The one that I did like and did enable was the one that makes anything you pick up only take up one inventory square. That was a good idea as it makes things like the GEP gun feasible.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I always preferred items taking up 1-3 slots, unless it is for games with dressing paper dolls. Two slots for weapons anyone uses and three for the shitkicker stuff. GEP uses 8 slots and needs more slots for the other kinds of ammo, for what is basically a ranged lockpick. The regular rocket launcher uses half the space and only slightly overkills most enemies.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

jojoinnit posted:

Doesn't Biomod gimp the Dragons Tooth so it's no longer a viable lockpick though?
According to Lork, Biomod does not and the Dragon's Tooth was nerfed in official game patches. To stay below the damage threshold to be able to damage high-strength doors, they made it hit for half damage twice. In the first version of Deus Ex I played, it was a full strength door-wrecking machine and that's how I like my nano swords.

Scalding Coffee posted:

I always preferred items taking up 1-3 slots, unless it is for games with dressing paper dolls. Two slots for weapons anyone uses and three for the shitkicker stuff. GEP uses 8 slots and needs more slots for the other kinds of ammo, for what is basically a ranged lockpick. The regular rocket launcher uses half the space and only slightly overkills most enemies.
Screencap your preferred inventory arrangement.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
All that button does is turn on the flashlight aug.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
You're just 1 key off from the right one, then.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Honestly if you're new to the game in 2017 chances are you wont replay it ever again, no matter how much you like it. So play with Biomod or Shifter to get some quality of life improvements

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

So it sounds like Biomod is the primary mod choice according to most, with some arguing that one should play vanilla the first time through. I can see the validity of that, but I think I played vanilla the previous times I tried to get into the game so I'll probably give Biomod a shot. Thanks!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Throwing my vote for Biomod being better than vanilla. The only reason you should play vanilla is if you really want to experience what the game was like before we had mods, which would make you a huge sperg so I wouldn't recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I can't imagine playing without any of the starter mods that make the game not look like complete rear end on old systems. That is grognard poo poo.