Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
dude, you can even install the betas with just OTA upgrades. no need for iTunes.

like, I still have my iPhone 6, and putting the iOS 11 beta on it just involved installing the device management profile for it from Apple (by going to the developer website on the iPhone 6 and downloading it straight onto the phone) and then going into Settings and doing a normal OTA upgrade.

edit: I think I had to restart the phone after the profile was installed. it'll tell you if you need to.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
oh yeah that is true

still, more backups is never bad vOv

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

pink floyd sucks

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
mate you're wrong

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

hifi posted:

pink floyd sucks

:wrong:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i'm not a fan of they earlier stuff but they have so much content which i'll be listening to for the rest of my life

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

serious post don't you need to re-log in to all your Appz if you do this vs the iTunes backup? (i do the itunes backup because i do not want to sign in to Appz)

no, icloud backups store all userdata/logins/whatever AND restores redownload apps for you automatically. last i checked itunes backup restores don't redownload apps for you.

icloud backups have been superior for years now. although im not sure what happens to the health data in icloud backups

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Last Chance posted:

no, icloud backups store all userdata/logins/whatever AND restores redownload apps for you automatically. last i checked itunes backup restores don't redownload apps for you.

icloud backups have been superior for years now. although im not sure what happens to the health data in icloud backups

Well too bad my phone backup is larger than 5gb and I don't want to pay for a monthly service just to backup my phone

I guess the backups over Wi-Fi aren't bad though, I checked when iTunes last backed up my phone and apparently it was last night at some point so I guess it does backup automatically?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

how is your phone backup over 5 gb? if it's photos, you can just not have it back those up. my phone backup is 3.1 gb

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

echinopsis posted:

animals is good but i found i milked it dry quite quickly

division bell has some absolutely amazing moments and high hopes is so glorious

am on the fence and wondering if fletcher memorial home is the best floyd solo?
division bell is real bad 90s popprog (poopprog?)

pink floyd albums u need:

- animals
- dsotm
- the wall
- wish you were here

meddle has its moments

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

also itunes is good and the ui is good, hope that helps. thanks.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

listening to itunes right now. the bits sound good

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

audio midi setup -> integer mode is v important

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

division bell is real bad 90s popprog (poopprog?)

pink floyd albums u need:

- animals
- dsotm
- the wall
- wish you were here

meddle has its moments

those are the core albums sure but division bell has some amazing moments

show me some good popprog and i might change my mind

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
itunes is some of the worst software i have ever used and i have used amateur radio software

music players should not try to organize your music for you. that is what the filesystem is for. you don't see word refusing to let you open a document unless you put it into your "document library"

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yes i too have thousands of documents and i open dozens in a session

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
itunes mainly sucks because of drm

which is pretty funny because the ipod fortune was made on piracy before legal stores existed
they should have never made the itunes store and just kept up the facade of people ripping legal cds

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

echinopsis posted:

those are the core albums sure but division bell has some amazing moments

show me some good popprog and i might change my mind

TooL

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Endless Mike posted:

how is your phone backup over 5 gb? if it's photos, you can just not have it back those up. my phone backup is 3.1 gb

Idk I just kept getting icloud alerts on my phone and I just shut it off

Maybe I'll janitor it a bit this afternoon and found out what the cause of that was

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
It's 99 cents a month for 50gb of backup storage you cheap skate

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

eric posted:

i have several TB that cost $0 a month

apple are the cheap skates here, your iCloud storage should match your phone size

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

don't sign your posts

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

eric posted:

Perplx posted:

i have several TB that cost $0 a month

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Oh nevermind I can't turn on icloud backup again cause if I do it stops backing up to iTunes

for some reason

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

tool is good don't get me wrong but division bell is the result of good musicians who have grown up

whereas tool need to actually grow up

really keen to hear thee new album when it ever comes out but i doubt i'll listen to it over and over Z they must be in they 50s or more by now so maybe they should act they age

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

it occurred to me recently that the music i'd been listening to is literally dad rock and i'm not okay with that. like, tripod and superunknown were great albums but that was nearly 30 years ago, put on somehting new and good

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jul 5, 2017

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i love to get down with dad rock but i also open minded to new hits and tracks

"i feel it coming" by the weeknd is a super amazing track

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
piper at the gates of dawn is a good album

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
is it tho? it's dated as gently caress. feel like i'd need to be mega hosed up to get into the right late 60s frame of mind and if i was that hosed up id probably rather listen to something else

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

being old owns you don't have to pretend autotune rap is good

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

echinopsis posted:

good popprog
nope

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:rolleyes:

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'm one of those people that doesn't know anything about what kids are listening to these days, it seems like all the subcultures I was into in high school are gone now except for a few sad 40 year olds still clinging on

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

they are what deadheads were to us

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
i'm old af but i still listen to lots of new music. most of it's not necessarily what the kids are listening to these days (with a few exceptions), but there's tons of amazing stuff being made around the edges all the time

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

you can still listen to blink 182 and afi and be cool

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

people rave to nightcore now instead of amen break and airhorn mashups

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

when i was a young boy and still smoked a lot of weed i listened to that 20 minute pink floyd song called "echoes" and my brain exploded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i dont know how to buy weed but listening to and paging through the crazy transparent booklet to lateralus was a life changing experience

• Locked thread