Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

manwithoutskin
Mar 24, 2006
can you see the line where the water ends

stevewm posted:

Pissing me off today... Epicor Software Corporation...

-

If you are ever thinking about a product from Epicor, stop, turn, and run far away.

Curious as to which product you were using and to what competitor did you switch? Company I work at has been Epicor (eTerm) forever and I've been looking for alternatives for the reasons you mentioned.

(Did not see Bob posted the same question!)

manwithoutskin fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Bob Morales posted:

Why'd you leave Epicor?

I think it might be because of their poo poo service, but I'm not sure.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Dick Trauma posted:

It was a wireless keyboard that was somehow strangely clean looking despite its secret cache of crumbs. If I can't properly clean an accessory I pitch it. I'm not going to stick a new employee with a gross piece of hardware. I had to throw out a desk telephone handset because the employee's makeup had somehow eaten into the plastic and stained it.

This morning after I got back to my desk I reflected back on my first real I.T. job, at a call center. I was working graveyards and I began each shift in the storage closet cleaning headsets. I would use that time to reflect on my poor life choices. Now here I am 20 years later doing essentially the same thing.

So... don't be like me.

:stonk:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

You should've seen those callcenter headsets. So much hair stuck to them. Earpads that could be used to apply the makeup that they were caked with. The callcenter fired people like crazy so there was always a pile to be cleaned. I had to pull off the earpads and voice tube, swab everything with a little wipe and then put on new earpads and voice tube.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I think it might be because of their poo poo service, but I'm not sure.

There had to have been problems that required the use of service - that's what I'm wondering about.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

MANime in the sheets posted:

I for one wouldn't mind hearing updates.

No court case, they're paying me. Sorry dude.

I'm working my notice (sadly, but eh) and had my last review meeting today (waste of time). Got criticised for being defensive. In a review meeting. Where they tried to tell me I didn't treat something as priority that I escalated 2 minutes after I got in every single day for 2 weeks. Or when they told me its somehow my fault they wouldn't approve a £1500 bit of kit that was needed to make poo poo run more smoothly.

Yup, uhuh, my problem. I may have called the HR person a vindictive bully, mentioned that my workload is literally impossible for one person to do and told them that their utter refusal to do anything to fix it is the reason i'm leaving. gently caress those guys. Everything's a battle.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 5, 2017

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Epicor has their hands in many industries with many different products. Auto parts, logistics, hardware/lumber, electrical & plumbing wholesale, etc..

The product we were using was their lumber/hardlines/hardware product called Eagle. We left them almost 10 years ago.

The software itself was nice, but the company was the problem.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

User dropped their phone and broke 2 of the tabs on the bottom that hold the stand to the base. I call the vendor just to see how much it would cost to fix this properly, oh since we lease the phones we'd have to lease another one and keep paying for this one, we can't outright purchase a phone, and they charge for a damaged phone at over retail value unless it's end of contract.

Their phone is now held together with tape. We had no problems getting a phone that was damaged in a lightning strike replaced but broken cheap tab? Nah they want more than we sell the phone for, we want the full MSRP which is over 5x the cost of the device anywhere else. Each lease is locked in for 5 years. This phone company is such garbage and I don't know why we keep doubling down instead of just cutting.

Yes I get that it's broken but there are screws on the back and I'm sure all the electronics will come right out and could be put in a new phone for under $1,5000. I could just buy a new one from Amazon for $299.99 instead of rip off vendor and activate it, but than we'd still have to pay the $2.50/month lease, which after 5 years they replace and is only half the cost of a phone from Amazon, so we just lease. Problem is no one that pays for these sees it that way. (We're not going to pay $2.50 every month for a phone to sit in a box for the next 4 years!) They don't even care if it works at the end of the 5 years, I don't get how they lease so cheaply.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Not to be that guy, but have you ever worked in a call center? It's a common occurrence. I won't go into all the food related nonsense you can run into, like the lady that kept sandwiches in her computer.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Several desk moves were announced and as usual Bill was off and running without talking to me first. After what happened my first year here I just stand back and wait for the dust to settle. The result?

1. User #1 wanted to bring his monitors home and had approval to do so. Bill gave them to one of the CEO's inner circle instead. Bill asked me to order two replacement LCDs to make up for it.

2. User #2's desk phone didn't work because Bill was too stupid to plug it in.

3. User #3's headset stopped working. This is the CEO's son. He waited until this morning to tell me because he didn't want to make Bill angry. I checked and Bill had the base plugged into a power strip that he didn't bother plugging in. And he daisy chained another power strip to an ancient power strip style UPS that he also didn't plug in.

4. User #4's second LCD didn't work because Bill failed to both plug the LCD back into the laptop dock as well as power.

5. User #5's desk phone headset and handset both stopped working because Bill plugged them into the wrong sockets on the phone.

6. User #6's wireless mouse and keyboard stopped working because Bill removed the Logitech transceiver from the desktop PC and lost it. Why did he remove it? He was unable to explain.

I'd say having Bill in charge of these things is job security for me but none of these people (including the CEO's son) have the spine to complain about him, and I learned first-hand what my complaints were worth.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Not to be that guy, but have you ever worked in a call center? It's a common occurrence. I won't go into all the food related nonsense you can run into, like the lady that kept sandwiches in her computer.

You don't even have to, grossest thing I ever saw was this :btroll: that worked at the Parks and Recreations department. Her office smelled like a dumpster. I had to replace her computer as we had gotten new computers. I'm moving the power cable and suddenly a cloud of flies come out from under her desk. "You disturbed them! Why did you do that!"

I promptly left with her old computer unplugged from the wall and refused to go back until it was cleaned. She ended up in the hospital sick for several months (her home was apparently worse) and they gutted her office new carpet everything. I installed the new computer at this time. The carpet was only 8 years old and had been replaced because she destroyed the previous one. She hated it when she got back and wanted the old carpet back. Last I heard she was talking to a lawyer about suing over being asked to sign a document that said if she destroyed this carpet she'd have to pay to have it replaced for a 3rd time.

I'm sure the only reason she was still employed was the horror of another disabilities / medical wrongful termination legal battle. The city had a track record of firing people for taking any medical leave and getting themselves sued.

flies came from a sea of crumb filled donut boxes, she'd buy a dozen donuts and eat them by herself a few days each week, and then just throw it on the ground even if there was half a donut left

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I love sliding a desk drawer open and finding like 7 bags of chips and 3 44oz gas station fountain pops

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

When I worked for a city I loved finding cups filled with stale urine that someone clearly had been working on wiring in the school basement and decided to just use their coffee cup instead of get a key to the faculty bathroom.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

pixaal posted:

You don't even have to, grossest thing I ever saw...

If I dig through the thread I can find my post about the mailroom guy who was hoarding old yogurt and soup containers. What an ungodly smell that was.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

pixaal posted:

User dropped their phone and broke 2 of the tabs on the bottom that hold the stand to the base. I call the vendor just to see how much it would cost to fix this properly, oh since we lease the phones we'd have to lease another one and keep paying for this one, we can't outright purchase a phone, and they charge for a damaged phone at over retail value unless it's end of contract.

Their phone is now held together with tape. We had no problems getting a phone that was damaged in a lightning strike replaced but broken cheap tab? Nah they want more than we sell the phone for, we want the full MSRP which is over 5x the cost of the device anywhere else. Each lease is locked in for 5 years. This phone company is such garbage and I don't know why we keep doubling down instead of just cutting.

Yes I get that it's broken but there are screws on the back and I'm sure all the electronics will come right out and could be put in a new phone for under $1,5000. I could just buy a new one from Amazon for $299.99 instead of rip off vendor and activate it, but than we'd still have to pay the $2.50/month lease, which after 5 years they replace and is only half the cost of a phone from Amazon, so we just lease. Problem is no one that pays for these sees it that way. (We're not going to pay $2.50 every month for a phone to sit in a box for the next 4 years!) They don't even care if it works at the end of the 5 years, I don't get how they lease so cheaply.

Buy a new phone, swap the insides over, say nothing.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

Buy a new phone, swap the insides over, say nothing.

They replace even a phone that is broken in multiple pieces with a new model at the end of 5 years, which costs less than a new phone at the cheapest price I can find it. Just getting another lease and ending the one on the broken one would cost us less (as long as we ship back the box full of obsolete broken parts with the serial or MAC address sticker visible back). We have to pay a hilarious fee if we don't return the phone working or not to buy it outright.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

IN her computer? Like, just stuck a meatball sub in the case to keep it warm?

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Volmarias posted:

She didn't want people to steal her lunch from the community fridge, so she'd frequently take the sandwich/yogurt/whatever she brought from home and put it in the computer. Just pop the side off and put it in, then click it in place. Foolproof plan to safeguard against theft, if I'm being honest.

Then she'd forget sometimes, or the paper bag/ziploc would get caught in a CPU fan and melt into the heatsink, yadda yadda. It was a high turnover call center and she eventually got canned, but left a banana behind in the thing. The fan blew an increasingly ripe banana stench into the aisle for weeks until someone called us.

This was at a major credit card company.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

I was going to say this isn't as bad as it sounds, but the series of environmental horrors that have been posted kinda trump this. I've had to replace a number of keyboards because the letters have been worn down/off, I'm pretty sure it's down to middle aged ladies who use skin care oils/creams which damage the plastic or something. I mean at home I'm still using the same keyboard after years of use with no sign of wear.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Volmarias posted:

You never had monitor pizza?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Doesn't work quite as well nowadays with flat screens though. Harder to balance a pizza box on.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Pissing me off, cheap people that wont pay for SLA on internet. This just started up, and I have been told the ISP will be out between 10AM and 1PM tomorrow. This is the cheapest business line you can get from them with no real SLA that a consumer would get beyond they'll come on weekends 8-6 as well.

This is a constant ping to 8.8.8.8

we don't host anything that is access by anyone external so at least we aren't going to hemorrhage money.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Topical: we have a new hire who started today. In setting up her desk, we found that the external contractor who sat there while on site left literally a dozen coffee mugs and glasses in the desk drawers. Most of them had coffee or tea crusted on, and the tea bags were mummified. I think I'm bringing that up to a manager tomorrow, because that's not okay. We still work with the company here, he was here just last week.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
When refreshing desktops from the sweet and sour gas wells up north, we'd get the occasional mouse nest inside the computer.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I remember at old company when the ISP sent us a message that they would be having maintenance. and downtime would be 9AM to 5PM
the Senior guy couldn't have called them faster.
in the end ISP caved and didn't proceed with their maintenance. Having good SLA's pays for itself really.

The worst keyboards I experienced were worn off letters. and I just replaced them at old company.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Ambient coworker noises

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Sefal posted:

I remember at old company when the ISP sent us a message that they would be having maintenance. and downtime would be 9AM to 5PM
the Senior guy couldn't have called them faster.
in the end ISP caved and didn't proceed with their maintenance. Having good SLA's pays for itself really.

The worst keyboards I experienced were worn off letters. and I just replaced them at old company.

The first keyboard I was issued had the paint entirely worn off of the CTRL, C, and V keys. CTRL would also frequently not register at all, and would occasionally jam in the down position (while not registering). When I asked to swap it out after a few weeks, I was told there were no more spares and that there are two CTRL buttons so what's the problem. I now have a wonderful mechanical keyboard that serves 3 functions:
1. irritates that manager
2. does not stick on a key used fairly frequently
3. means no one gets 'temporarily' sat at my cube, because management doesn't want to be on the hook for my keyboard if someone else damages/breaks/spills on it.
Also, it's the same keyboard I have at home; I never appreciated how nice it is not needing to readjust to a different keyboard twice a day.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

MANime in the sheets posted:

I never appreciated how nice it is not needing to readjust to a different keyboard twice a day.

How do you work in IT and not use about 20 different keyboards a day?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Trastion posted:

I use my laptop all day and that's it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Trastion posted:

Anybody not in the helpdesk/desktop support? I touch exactly 2 and one of those are my home computer.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah us top of the mountain system administrators sit at a single desk all day banging away in terminals. :smug:

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Trastion posted:

ssh :colbert:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

JFC cisco, stop making me buy rails from your equipment separately.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

gently caress AT&T

What a pain in the loving rear end.

We have 4 POTS lines at our location across the state. It's a retail store. Fax line, local phone calls, alarm. If we had a non-dogshit phone system we'd just tie them into our main locations.

Right now we pay $25/month for each line. Cool. Well the term is up on them so they want to charge us $107/month for each loving one. Last year they raised the prices without notifying us, I called them up and they put us on the 'all for one promotion', added some lovely LG Tablet and brought the price back down to earth.

They can't do the tablet plan this year but what they do have to offer is WebEx. We subscribe to WebEx for $50/month and then we can grandfather the lines in forever at $25/month.

I hate these add-in poo poo because I have to explain to accounting "yes we're paying an extra $xx for this thing that nobody uses but it's saving us a bunch of money on the total bill"

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
AT&T is working toward moving entirely to VoIP, supposedly by 2020 but there's no way. To do this, they are making it a giant pain in the rear end and way too expensive to maintain old POTS lines. This is going to gently caress a lot of people over who have to replace perfectly fine equipment that require analog start signals to function correctly.

It makes sense for the phone companies to move away from legacy POTS (cheaper, easier to manage, easier to scale, etc.), but it will be a nightmare for a few years while they finalize the transition since these companies are inevitably run by morons.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Sickening posted:

JFC cisco, stop making me buy rails from your equipment separately.

Oh yeah, could you also quit selling me AP's but not include the god drat antennas? How loving cheap are you fucks?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Someone sends me an email at 9:30 this morning asking a question. It's a simple question, I answer it, no big deal. I'm done with the response at around 10:30 and hit send.

Instantly get a "on vacation" auto response that started yesterday. gently caress off, dude. If you're gonna do work on vacation don't turn that poo poo on.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

Oh yeah, could you also quit selling me AP's but not include the god drat antennas? How loving cheap are you fucks?

Well, look who wants the loving moon; next, you're going to want your APs to come with power supplies and mounting screws.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

Well, look who wants the loving moon; next, you're going to want your APs to come with power supplies and mounting screws.

I got those! I even got the mounting plate! All included at no extra charge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sickening posted:

"Oh you want to attach that AP to something? The brackets are only £3 but we won't put them in the box."