Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I've been saying that for years. Supporters and clubs are barely keeping it going, the surface should be fine (was renovated and a couple turns re-profiled in 2005-06 if memory serves) but all of the surrounding is...not great. Grandstands, other facilities, the works. They also need a dedicated promoter as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

harperdc posted:

I've been saying that for years. Supporters and clubs are barely keeping it going, the surface should be fine (was renovated and a couple turns re-profiled in 2005-06 if memory serves) but all of the surrounding is...not great. Grandstands, other facilities, the works. They also need a dedicated promoter as well.

Green Savoree seem like they'd be just what the doctor ordered over there.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

Don't need grandstands if you have enough Ferris wheels.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

the hard part is that Portland Int'l Raceway is, technically, a City of Portland park. So it's public land and the administration is run by a sub-group IIRC.

...which is why their About page features the fact that it does right at the top :v: (also, record lap holder :smith: )

again, I'm very disconnected from all of this, but to make the necessary improvements would either require somebody generously throwing money at the upgrades as a labor of love, or what's in the article referred to as "a promoter-plus" who can bring more things in temporarily for the circuit. Not impossible, but both require a higher hurdle than bringing a race to, oh, Laguna Seca, or COTA, for instance. They would almost have to put the race on as a three-five year plan with the first year(s) as a loss leader to re-establish the event in Portland.

I would love it, and I would time a flight home to go with my dad to it, but there's so many hurdles.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

harperdc posted:

the hard part is that Portland Int'l Raceway is, technically, a City of Portland park. So it's public land and the administration is run by a sub-group IIRC.

...which is why their About page features the fact that it does right at the top :v: (also, record lap holder :smith: )

again, I'm very disconnected from all of this, but to make the necessary improvements would either require somebody generously throwing money at the upgrades as a labor of love, or what's in the article referred to as "a promoter-plus" who can bring more things in temporarily for the circuit. Not impossible, but both require a higher hurdle than bringing a race to, oh, Laguna Seca, or COTA, for instance. They would almost have to put the race on as a three-five year plan with the first year(s) as a loss leader to re-establish the event in Portland.

I would love it, and I would time a flight home to go with my dad to it, but there's so many hurdles.

I love that the quarter mile time for a rocket car in the 70s is slower than a top fuel dragster would do now.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

harperdc posted:

This part doesn't seem to be correct

quote:

Number of event days yearly at PIR

Also Iowa is coming up this weekend!!!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

KingShibby posted:

This part doesn't seem to be correct

It's explained elsewhere on their site but they're counting each individual event, so if there's a track day during the day and bicycle racing in the evening, that's two event days. Strange, I agree.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfOzkQQx4Ok

Tora Takagi is very lucky.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm almost done 2002 and it's as middling as I remember it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
IDK if it was the problem, but CART introduced traction control in 2002, for god knows why.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

CART seems to have done a number of questionable things.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Mandatory pit windows also probably contributed; It took some of the strategy away. The field quality was rather good too, so it was disappointing.

For whatever reason Da Matta and Newmann Haas seemed to have a better grip of the new package too (TC/Bridgestone tires).

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jul 5, 2017

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.unracedf1.com/unraced1990-1999/brabham-galmer-story-reviving-brabham/

Interesting bit here. Maybe you would have seen Jr. in the car at some point?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/jdouglas4/status/882785426397958145

So IMS getting a short track?

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

They made a small dirt track for Tony Stewart last year I believe.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Quantrill posted:

Yep. Turned the Snake Pit grounds into a dirt oval.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

You mean the Snake Pit isn't ground into dirt normally? :confused:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I'm intrigued by the possibility of a short track race at IMS, but I do wonder where they would put it.

Also unpopular opinion?

I like the road course. I like the excuse of seeing more cars race at that track. The GP event is fun as hell. I've gone there TWICE, and had a blast both times. I wish IMSA/WEC would do a weekend there in the near future.

I wouldn't mind seeing F1 back there as well, but it feels like when it comes to support series in North America? it's weak sauce.

Quantrill posted:

I remember. Yeah.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I know the people where we park would love a 12 Hours of Indianapolis on July 4th weekend. 10 AM to 10 PM with a Fourth of July fireworks show after the podium.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

and y'all motherfuckers thought flag truck was american exceptionalism

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Minto Took posted:

I know the people where we park would love a 12 Hours of Indianapolis on July 4th weekend. 10 AM to 10 PM with a Fourth of July fireworks show after the podium.

This would be awesome.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Minto Took posted:

The Glen has that weekend on lockdown would be the only problem. Aside from that? Man what a fun time it would be.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

IMSA has talked to the teams about adding a race or two, but I'm pretty sure there won't be any new 8+ hour races. Indy GP Sat, IMSA Sunday, first day of 500 practice on Monday?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Cygni posted:

IMSA has talked to the teams about adding a race or two, but I'm pretty sure there won't be any new 8+ hour races. Indy GP Sat, IMSA Sunday, first day of 500 practice on Monday?

Might work.

Unrelated, IMSA needs to come back to Mid Ohio, but that's just common sense.

Also I guess Lambo got scared off of doing the Indy 500/Indycar out of fear of failure on a big scale per MP. I guess they were scared of pulling a Lotus part II or something.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

FuzzySkinner posted:

I'm intrigued by the possibility of a short track race at IMS, but I do wonder where they would put it.

Bulldoze the golf course.

Actually do this regardless of whether you're building a short track or not.

And also every other golf course in the world.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Indy goons who are also simracing nerds: who here would in theory be into the idea of a goon-run Indy 500 event using iRacing in the month of MayOctober? Featuring extremely tryhard organisation so we can have things like a week-long qualifying event leading to a top 10 shootout and maybe even - whisper it - actual prizes?

Just trying to see if we would be looking at a decent bunch of people who wouldn't normally race who'd be into a one-off event so we can get as big a field as possible.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Ooh I'd resub for a month for that, the one time I did an iRacing Indy500 I got taken out by a try-hand on a restart.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
Hey, who wants to read about Smokey's Python?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Viking you always find cool and good stuff.

Thank You.

Also I'm happy that one of Smokey's car is in the IMS museum at least. :3: (as it SHOULD be)

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8jJ8eKOxGs

Indycar just posted this to their YouTube channel today. :thunk:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Theris posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8jJ8eKOxGs

Indycar just posted this to their YouTube channel today. :thunk:

People always complain about a lack of consistency on the IndyCar calendar, but Portland, Road America, Mid Ohio and Laguna Seca were four of THE road courses that seemed to survive from 1984 until 2004 or so. Kinda in the same vain that Sears Point and Watkins Glen are THE Road Courses for Cup now.

Mid Ohio was orignally a hot spot for Can Am, IMSA, and F5000. It got a USAC race in 1980, came back in 83 with CART., Then for some reason it died off in 2003...The IRL thankfully swooped in and brought it back in 2007. Road America has the same history (check out "Winning" for a cameo of Can Am. cars racing there). Started in 82, and ran until CCWS died off in 07. Just recently came back and it's been a success.

Portland started in 84 and ran until 07. I still don't understand why Tony George didn't swipe that date along with Road America around the time he got reunification going. I guess CCWS was going to race at Laguna Seca in 08 before that deal closed up. To me those 3 I just typed were far more valuable to the sport than say, Kansas or quite a few of the cookie cutters. (And before any one goes? I would consider venues like Homestead, Fontana (Zombie Ontario Speedway), Milwaukee, Michigan, Texas, Pocono, Nazareth (RIP), and Phoenix on equal footing in terms of them being "mainstays" on any given IndyCar schedule)

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jul 7, 2017

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Just arrived here at Iowa and the USF2000 cars are on track for the very first oval session for the new USF-17 car. The cars appear to be in a very low downforce setups making Iowa their equivalent of Talladega/Daytona.

EDIT: The cars that were running low downforce appear to be changing to higher downforce levels like IndyCar & Indy Lights

EDIT2: https://twitter.com/jdepouw/status/883426911493382144

KingShibby fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 7, 2017

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota
Rick Mears for president:

https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/why-indycar-must-get-radical-with-2018-car-927343/

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Just found out that Chat Boat failed his medical clearance exam and will not be making his Indy Lights debut this weekend after his sprint car accident last weekend

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Is there a pond near the track? Can we make Chat Boat with Chad Boat a reality?

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Dynamite Dog posted:

Is there a pond near the track? Can we make Chat Boat with Chad Boat a reality?

Hmm there are a couple of retention ponds outside T2, now to hunt down a boat and a driver.

Also Special Ed is P1 in practice while JR just backed his car into the wall in T2

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RgCX4CFLqA

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Nothing but a love tap.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
OT, but F1 is switching to a windshield for driver protection.

http://www.racer.com/f1/item/142109-shield-image-released-will-test-at-silverstone

I like it, though I don't think it needs to be that big for Indycar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Medical update from Dr. Geoffrey Billows, INDYCAR medical director: JR Hildebrand has been checked and released from the infield care center. He is cleared to drive.

JR Hildebrand posted:

We were doing a qual run and probably just got too low. Ended up hitting straight backwards. It probably didn’t look that bad. The car isn’t even really messed up. The G numbers were a little higher than what they normally would be. My knees are a little sore. A lot of us are really jammed up in (the car) and my knees hit the back of the steering wheel. It’s just bruising. Nothing is really (badly injured).

Also I just caught Will Power doing the jerkoff hand motion again during this press conference :jerkbag:

• Locked thread