Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
A narrativist is someone who has chosen that reality follows a narrative made up in their head and they will fit every piece of information to fit into that narrative regardless of how sensible it is and dismiss anything that directly contradicts that narrative.

This is why we have people going around saying white people are the victims of today's society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Mordaedil posted:

A narrativist is someone who has chosen that reality follows a narrative made up in their head and they will fit every piece of information to fit into that narrative regardless of how sensible it is and dismiss anything that directly contradicts that narrative.

This is why we have people going around saying white people are the victims of today's society.

Isn't there already a term for this in psychology? I swear it's on the top of my tongue.

Oh basically this:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narrative_identity
https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2015/08/life-stories-narrative-psychology-redemption-mental-health/400796/

There Bias Two fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Jul 6, 2017

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Isn't this exactly what PJ has done though. She developed this entire framework and is trying to put everything in terms of it, from my understanding.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Did I get it wrong?

Could be, my proficiency with specific terms is only passable, I'm afraid. It was a best guess.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

Isn't this exactly what PJ has done though. She developed this entire framework and is trying to put everything in terms of it, from my understanding.

There's a difference between using a framework to describe a phenomenon via agreed upon terminology, and predetermining an outcome then warping all evidence to support that outcome. One could be used to support the other, but they are not the same thing.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Cheeto's giving his speech in Warsaw right now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuMxOe4-LY0

He made it 2 sentences before mentioning his electoral win.

Now he's giving every Pole in attendance a slow and loving handjob about being the "soul of Europe".

His voice is sounding SUPER weak though. Guess he's not dealing well with the jetlag?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

lol trump doesn't know who any of those polish people are.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Drone posted:

Cheeto's giving his speech in Warsaw right now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuMxOe4-LY0

His voice is sounding SUPER weak though. Guess he's not dealing well with the jetlag?

What a low energy creature

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Souls to the Poles.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Maybe he shouldn't have spent so much of his finite energy on golf.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Trump talking about willpower to save civilization....in Poland.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Jesus Christ how many times can he mention Poland losing its land?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Trump giving Poland a timeline of their invasion/occupation history.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
You got invaded by Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union ... that's trouble eh?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

No trotsky was not going to conquer western europe

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

He's about to break out into a Sabaton song, any minute now, just wait.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

We aren't the target audience for this. 40-year old housewives are. It doesn't matter that we think it's hokey. It's not for us.

Do older people really respond to this sort of crap though? Maybe it's my issues talking but I really don't understand why all marketing has been invaded by this weird childishness. Is saying things in a professional tone now as obsolete as Old English or something?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

AceOfFlames posted:

Do older people really respond to this sort of crap though? Maybe it's my issues talking but I really don't understand why all marketing has been invaded by this weird childishness. Is saying things in a professional tone now as obsolete as Old English or something?

Mook really likes Buzzfeed articles okay?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Drone posted:

He's about to break out into a Sabaton song, any minute now, just wait.

Nah, he is not nearly cool enough for that.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Haha holy gently caress someone in the crowd is waving a Confederate flag.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

ahahaha apparently they were boo'ing the poo poo out of lech walesa when Trump introduced him since the crowd is full of fascists

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

FizFashizzle posted:

ahahaha apparently they were boo'ing the poo poo out of lech walesa when Trump introduced him since the crowd is full of fascists

It's a literal PiS crowd.

But you have to admire the planning by the Poles, by having the crowd cheer "Donald Trump, Donald Trump, Donald Trump" they probably did secure his Article 5 commitment.

GaussianCopula fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jul 6, 2017

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
"We want God"

He's really hammering that home in a Roman Catholic country, as if the Pope didn't think Trump was an absolute piece of poo poo.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

GaussianCopula posted:

It's a literal PiS crowd.

:piss:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

"They are threats. We will confront them, and we will win. They are threats."

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

they are threats

we will confront them

we will win

but they are threats

/turn dramatically

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Really wanna know what that Polish chant is, and really hoping it's a Polish "Sieg Heil".

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Drone posted:

Really wanna know what that Polish chant is, and really hoping it's a Polish "Sieg Heil".

It's "DONALD TRUMP" and if they are shouting faster it's just "TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP".

So yeah, it's the 21st century international version of "sieg heil"

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
This is sliding into a white culture is best culture real quick.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Boon posted:

This is sliding into a white culture is best culture real quick.

What better place than Poland to deliver that message?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

There Bias Two posted:

As best I understand it, she uses "narrativist" to refer to people who construct their realities around specific stories that become the filter through which they view everything. Their day-to-day behavior and morals are defined by their self-imagined role within this story, and they get really, really upset when anyone tries to challenge their delusions because it's seen an attack at the core of their identity.

For example, there are Christian extremists that believe the End Times are coming, and that it's their role to accelerate the process. In that context, everyone who disagrees with that is an agent of the devil and consequently a subhuman enemy.

Oh so every single person in the world is a narrativist. Got it.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Ogmius815 posted:

Oh so every single person in the world is a narrativist. Got it.

No. Not every person adheres to their personal narrative as strongly as others. Not everyone is willing to kill for it.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Trump making a risky political gamble here by implying the Nazis were bad.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
I love how Trump is reading Poland's history to them like its breaking news.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Gen. Ripper posted:

Trump making a risky political gamble here by implying the Nazis were bad.

I don't really get how the Warsaw Uprising, which failed, saved the West.

And what the gently caress is "the West" for Trump?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

GaussianCopula posted:

I don't know but they're in mortal danger. Luckily their values will save them.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

GaussianCopula posted:

I don't really get how the Warsaw Uprising, which failed, saved the West.

Cowboys and Indians.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
That was excruciating. I really hope we get some orb pictures next.

e: I think the wapo stream with thousands of viewers topped out at 7 likes :laugh:

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

You've got to pay the Pole toll if you wanna get in that pol's soul

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
The 100 Greatest Accomplishments of Trump's First 100 Days.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ssVlqpX9x8
Man I had forgotten how angry Spicers first conference was, feels like it was a few years ago.

• Locked thread