Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Dwesa posted:

If you live in sub-Saharan Africa, then yes.

Are you saying the European race can't do math?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

Are you saying the European race can't do math?

Which European race?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Curious how a similar questionnaire would look asked in the West.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

anilEhilated posted:

Dunno about Estonia, but here most of the ties with the Church have been cut off after 1918, when Catholicism was regarded as something connected with the Austrian monarchy and as such has to be divorced from state with extreme prejudice.

In more detail -

Post WWI, the Church wasn't happy at all to recognize the trends towards secularism and political emancipation of European countries. Czechoslovakia was repeatedly warned not to proceed with the aspects of land and property reform that would reduce Church property, as well as not to limit the ability of Vatican to independently name its bishops and other officials. Furthermore, Czechoslovak politicians made situation even more tense by forming new national holidays that were contrary to Church values, including the holiday of Master Jan Hus (of the Hussite fame), famously burned at the stake by a Church council, and at that time still deemed an heretic and an apostate. Consequently relationships between Czechoslovakia and Vatican hadn't been normalized until the signing of a treaty in 1929 - up until that point, the Church often failed to maintain its proper delegation to the country, and the administration of its provinces. Despite that, the Czechoslovak clergy remained quite steadfast in its loyalty (only 300 priests left the Church for political reasons throughout the whole 20 years of the Republic), but they also became more sectarian, forming a national clerical clique with its own political program in the absence of a more rigorous leadership from Rome.

Partially because of that, partially because of the pre-WWI historiographical schism of Czechoslovak politics in which one faction, led by president Masaryk, held the notion that Czech people's national character was informed by their Hussite heritage and a certain peculiar nationalist-protestant ethic, there was a movement to form new, national churches that would replace the role of Catholicism. The newly formed Hussite Church, as well as various Augsburg Protestant churches, attracted something in the ballpark of 500,000 people until 1939, though there was a high rate of relapse of new convertites back to the Catholic Church, so getting the highest number of their members at a single moment seems difficult.

However, it is important to note that those developments did not mean a loss of religiosity in the country. Rather they represented a reshuffling of religious affiliations, and a relatively minor one at that - a fraction of a million of believers is an insignificant number in the context of modern Czech atheism. Arguably it was the Communist anticlericalism and violent purges in the Church after 1948 that destroyed religion in contemporary Czech Republic (but failed to do so in Slovakia). I think this theory is supported by the fact that the national churches of the First Republic completely collapsed in the post-war period, instead of continuing to be an expression of Czech religiosity, and nowadays only marginally exist at all. Only the Catholic Church, being the most robust one in 1948, survived at all as a somewhat significant player.

Also it should be noted that all of this is only relevant for Bohemia and Moravia, Slovakia followed a very distinct development, in politics, and in religion as well.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Cugel the Clever posted:

What's the story behind the Czech Republic and Estonia being as non-religious as they are? (and where's Slovakia on this chart?)
Nowhere, but Slovakia would be among mostly Catholic countries.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
In the US, 49% of Republicans now consider Russia to be a friend or an ally and only 12% consider it to be an enemy.

http://www.bbc.com/russian/features-40489951?ocid=socialflow_facebook

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

vyelkin posted:

In the US, 49% of Republicans now consider Russia to be a friend or an ally and only 12% consider it to be an enemy.

http://www.bbc.com/russian/features-40489951?ocid=socialflow_facebook

I wonder if the enemy of their friend is also their enemy?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Thompsons posted:

I'm still really curious what's going to happen in a few years when Russia's rampant HIV problem becomes a full-blown AIDS epidemic. I mean, the government has to know it's going to happen sooner or later so what's the plan, are they just going to lean on the church to help paint everyone with AIDS as some closet homo that deserves to die in the gutter?

I mean that depends, how does the Russian healthcare system handle dispensing HIV treatment now? Are the drugs affordable?

Dwesa posted:

If you live in sub-Saharan Africa, then yes.

Now this is a bit old at this point, 2009 data, but it's not too unheard of even for European countries:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Which European race?

the dirty alpine race

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

fishmech posted:

Now this is a bit old at this point, 2009 data, but it's not too unheard of even for European countries
My source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_HIV/AIDS_adult_prevalence_rate

Sure, there are HIV positive people in Europe too and the % varies quite a bit, e.g. Estonia has fairly high % (but still only 1,3%)

I wonder how it might affect (or affects) natural growth rate and economy of Russia. I read elsewhere that the epidemic is probably shifting from drug injecting people to general population, the proportion of people who have access to treatment is below average and now NGOs are labeled as foreign agents. It will only get worse, apparently.
I imagine that the problem will be ignored and underestimated, because it won't fit into nationalistic myths.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jul 4, 2017

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
Wait, what the gently caress? Even 1% is like rolling dice when you start seeing somebody new. I had no idea we were talking about whole percentage points here.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Yes, but 98% of the population is still HIV-negative and that's a really huge number. That's almost 100%, if you think about it

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

fishmech posted:

I mean that depends, how does the Russian healthcare system handle dispensing HIV treatment now? Are the drugs affordable?
It's supposed to change noticeably this year, with Russian government triaging forward anti-HIV strategies. As it stands, HIV patients receive care for free, and 37.3 % of them receive ART.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Yes, but 98% of the population is still HIV-negative and that's a really huge number. That's almost 100%, if you think about it

Thank you. It's amazing how some people fail to comprehend the simplest of facts.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
In looking this up I was very surprised to see that the great majority of US infections are still male-to-male intercourse. I thought the carrying population had diversified much further.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Discendo Vox posted:

In looking this up I was very surprised to see that the great majority of US infections are still male-to-male intercourse. I thought the carrying population had diversified much further.

Turns out dudes like lots of sex with strangers and don't like wearing condoms. Who knew?

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
Meanwhile in Finland

NSFW https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WF0KGtiETU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Discendo Vox posted:

The transmission rate for vaginal intercourse is like 1 in thousand. THe transmission rate for anal intercourse is like one in ten iirc.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

fishmech posted:

Mayor of Ekatirenburg (4th largest city) is a leader of a vigilante cult franchise who thinks that you can cure AIDS by handcuffing an addict to a radiator and beating them up.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

steinrokkan posted:

The transmission rate for vaginal intercourse is like 1 in thousand. THe transmission rate for anal intercourse is like one in ten iirc.

ah, there it is

going right back to barebacking gopnitsas

Osama Dozen-Dongs
Nov 29, 2014

Cugel the Clever posted:

What's the story behind the Czech Republic and Estonia being as non-religious as they are? (and where's Slovakia on this chart?)

The Lutheran church was organized by and for the Germans before 1918, so it was massively distrusted by the Estonians. There's a sizeable Orthodox community in the Western Isles from that time as protest against the Germans. I think the Russian imperial authorities had some sort of tax incentives for it back then, too, to gently caress with and weaken the local German elites. There were efforts to make it into a national church in the interwar period, but without all that much success. Lutheranism isn't an essential part of Estonian culture, so there was no reason for it to bounce back the way eg. the Orthodox church did in Russia.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

steinrokkan posted:

Some cells on the inside of the foreskin coupled with the enclosed nature of the compartment also make for a much more efficient virus uptake. So while this puts water on the wheel of conservative fundies that say God hates fags, God must sure as gently caress have picked lesbians as his chosen people because they have the lowest HIV infection rate of all.

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006

Osama Dozen-Dongs posted:

The Lutheran church was organized by and for the Germans before 1918, so it was massively distrusted by the Estonians. There's a sizeable Orthodox community in the Western Isles from that time as protest against the Germans. I think the Russian imperial authorities had some sort of tax incentives for it back then, too, to gently caress with and weaken the local German elites. There were efforts to make it into a national church in the interwar period, but without all that much success. Lutheranism isn't an essential part of Estonian culture, so there was no reason for it to bounce back the way eg. the Orthodox church did in Russia.

I think this has more to do with commies, because before the war 80% of Estonians were Lutheran, plus Orthodox. Unless you know something that I don't. Estonia's own churches of both denominations were created in 1917, 1920 and 1923 (Orthodox has two - one under Moscow, other one under Constantinople - long story).

After the fall of USSR the biggest push for promoting Christianity came from Finland. In 1st and 2nd grade (years 1994-1995) we had "religion study", which was mostly bible and then some more bible. One that had pictures. It was more like a storybook with storytelling. Maybe that's why I don't profess to any religion today - they were just stories. : )))

Sometime in 8th and 9th grade we had another one where the teacher told us about all the bigger religions. Meaning some more interesting stories. Even included Hinduism. Just now I found an old newspaper article where the director of my school said the students have the right to refuse that subject. First time I heard of that.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

steinrokkan posted:

What's it like for oral?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Doctor Malaver posted:

What's it like for oral?

Must be much, much lower. I think it's very hard to get an HIV infection through saliva, so go ahead :)

Also, if you want to calculate your overall infection probability for one session, it's

p_overall = 1 - (1 - p_anal)*(1 - p_vaginal)*(1 - p_oral)

(p_vaginal if applicable, other wise set it to 0)

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Doctor Malaver posted:

What's it like for oral?

HIV is actually an extremely fragile virus which doesn't do well outside of its preferred environment, unlike something like Hep C which can live on a bathroom wall for 15 years and still be contagious. Saliva in the mouth contains enzymes that begin the digestion process and are not well tolerated by HIV leading to destruction of the virus. That said, its not 100% safe either because if there are open sores or cuts or even microscopic tears along the mucosa in the mouth the virus can still get in before it is destroyed. Another factor is the viral load or the number of viruses contained in a given volume of body fluid. The higher the viral load the higher the infection risk (obviously). So oral sex is much safer for not catching the HIV, but by no means completely safe.

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Apparently the country with the most HIV infected people is South Africa, but more women are infected than men. Perhaps heterosexual couplings there more frequently perform anal sex than in the US?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'm pretty sure the rampant rape problem isn't helping. There's estimates that about 40% women will get raped at least once in a lifetime.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Be careful, AIDS is real

floppo
Aug 24, 2005
Does anyone know where to find municipality-level statistics on population ethnicity in Estonia? I can only find county-level measures of % Estonian vs % Russian from the census in 2011, and I'm looking for more specific (also preferably more recent).

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...

floppo posted:

Does anyone know where to find municipality-level statistics on population ethnicity in Estonia? I can only find county-level measures of % Estonian vs % Russian from the census in 2011, and I'm looking for more specific (also preferably more recent).

What exactly(and how specific) are you looking for?

the heat goes wrong fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 5, 2017

floppo
Aug 24, 2005
Broadly speaking, estimates of what percent of each town in Estonia is Russian, Estonian or other. This could be measured by surveys or the census asking people what they consider themselves or what language they speak at home.

As I mentioned I have this data at the county level, but would like more detail at this level:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Municipalities_of_Estonia

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
http://stat24.ee/rahvus/

One dot = one person.
Blue = Estonian, red = Russian, green = other, purple = unknown

Somebody posted on reddit a map with majority nationality marked down to every single village, but I can't find it right now.
edit: based on data of 2011 census.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

How many people did the Polish government bus into Warsaw to greet Trormp?

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

:laffo:

Polish history, as reckoned by Donald J. Trump. Enjoy!

https://twitter.com/GlennThrush/status/882924786564911104

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Meanwhile...

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

:laffo:

Polish history, as reckoned by Donald J. Trump. Enjoy!

https://twitter.com/GlennThrush/status/882924786564911104

Well, wasn't it? :chord:

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Meanwhile, on the right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

:wow: