Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Got steve.

how was that so hard, wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Battle Pigeon posted:

Ohtori has a yellow one, and Inko a grey. Steve refused to acknowledge that area of the cage for all the weeks he had one in :saddowns:

You got one!

lol, fond him, harder than I thought it should have been. bottom left in the back.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
The first morning went ok. He's finally discovered his food dish towards the bottom corner of the cage. Prior to this he was insisting that everything went into his foraging toy which was not going to be workable. He ate heartily of banana, kale, raspberry, blueberry and green beans. The berries were included to entice him more. He was a lot more vocal today and it kind of surprised us. Periodically making a rather loud screeching. It was kind of like an alarm clock. Three quick high pitched notes in succession, repeated for a few seconds. Then he'd go back to being quiet or contented little burrs. I'm still trying to figure out if he's screeching because he's actually upset (he did it one time after the toaster popped) or if it's just a general "I AM A BIRD AND ALIVE" sound.

So far I'm banking on it being a "WHAT THE gently caress IS GOING ON HERE?" sound. He did it once when I woke him up in the morning and started moving away from his cage to the kitchen. He made it periodically throughout the morning. And he did it when I moved out his cage floor to clean out his newspapers, and when the toaster popped. But that could be all coincidence and he's just birding out.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Battle Pigeon posted:

New bird is adorable. Mine don't have huts; Inko sleeps either on the floor under paper towels, or he has a shelf perch with a cardboard roof and fleece thing* to cuddle against. Ohtori used to have a hut, got hormonal, now has a rope perch high in the back corner with a fleece thing* to cuddle against. Those things seem to be a nice alternative to the hut that don't get them hormonal

*fleece thing http://www.scarlettsparrotessentials.co.uk/comfort-snuggle-small

There are two birds in this photo

steve :derptiel:

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

Shirec posted:

I can't believe I forgot to post this and no one beat me to it

Even though he's ridiculously obese, he's really cute.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Testikles posted:

The first morning went ok. He's finally discovered his food dish towards the bottom corner of the cage. Prior to this he was insisting that everything went into his foraging toy which was not going to be workable. He ate heartily of banana, kale, raspberry, blueberry and green beans. The berries were included to entice him more. He was a lot more vocal today and it kind of surprised us. Periodically making a rather loud screeching. It was kind of like an alarm clock. Three quick high pitched notes in succession, repeated for a few seconds. Then he'd go back to being quiet or contented little burrs. I'm still trying to figure out if he's screeching because he's actually upset (he did it one time after the toaster popped) or if it's just a general "I AM A BIRD AND ALIVE" sound.

So far I'm banking on it being a "WHAT THE gently caress IS GOING ON HERE?" sound. He did it once when I woke him up in the morning and started moving away from his cage to the kitchen. He made it periodically throughout the morning. And he did it when I moved out his cage floor to clean out his newspapers, and when the toaster popped. But that could be all coincidence and he's just birding out.

Might be a flock call... looking for his lil birb friends from the old place. If thats true, once he realizes you are his new flock he will quiet down a little bit. Maybe.

Cricket is quiet usually, but if I am not where she can see me (only when my husband is home for some reason) she lets out these god awful CHEEP CHEEP calls looking for me. If he isn't home and its just her and I, she yells out "Hey baby" and "Who's a good birdie" as her flock calls. I have no clue why she does it tbh but...birds are weird.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Disco Salmon posted:

Might be a flock call... looking for his lil birb friends from the old place. If thats true, once he realizes you are his new flock he will quiet down a little bit. Maybe.

Cricket is quiet usually, but if I am not where she can see me (only when my husband is home for some reason) she lets out these god awful CHEEP CHEEP calls looking for me. If he isn't home and its just her and I, she yells out "Hey baby" and "Who's a good birdie" as her flock calls. I have no clue why she does it tbh but...birds are weird.

Probably. I'm just having new owner jitters. I'm constantly like "Oh my god what if he hates it here! I AM A BAD BIRD OWNER!" "HE MUST NOT BE GETTING ENOUGH SUN! THIS ROOM IS TOO DARK! HE DIDN'T SLEEP ENOUGH! THIS IS WHY HE IS UNHAPPY!"

In a manner of speaking he might be happier tomorrow because the household will be going to work and he'll have more time to be on his own and get used to his cage.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

It's WoL pings

Wake-on-LOUD

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Disco Salmon posted:

Mochi also screeches for me if I go around the kitchen divider (our apartment is tiny, everything but the bed and bath are one room) but ONLY when my husband is home. He's a good quiet boy otherwise, usually brrping and grumbling away to himself. If it's just me at home he'll just make kissy noises or 'pretty baby' and 'mochi?' as flock calls. :iiam:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Testikles posted:

Samba is out and has now discovered blueberries and grapes

Grats on the new birb :shobon:

We clipped Yoshi's nails yesterday and, for the first time, he started screaming once we got to the last two toes. Then he made a big show of picking at his feet with his beak until we were afraid that our extremely gentle way of holding his feets had injured him, for about ten minutes, until he flew out and wanted all of the attention in the world, and had forgotten that we had ever dared disturb the Grand Birb Feets.

He was also a bit upset because we were cleaning the couch cushion covers, which meant that I was sitting in a slightly different place, a full two feet further away from his cage.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

messy bird

but he's not messy for long

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
if i put a qtip near my tiel it would scream and give me the finger because it is new, and therefor bad

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
So the first day is winding down. I ended up leaving him alone for a bit which allowed him time to settle in and apparently get used to his surroundings. He then took the opportunity during the afternoon to tear rear end around his cage which he seems to love. I think he enjoys the space because it's definitely bigger than his original enclosure. However he kept yelling at us and shaking his forage toy which I understood that he wanted food but he had other food available. He did eventually explore his food bowls but clearly wasn't TOO interested in what I had put out. So he kept shouting.

I managed to make some better chop, set it in the cage. I put a slice of papaya on top and it piqued his curiousity. Whatever I did this time he's loving because he's spent the past hour and fifteen minutes eating and inspecting his foodbowl. I think it's because I sprinkled a few chia seeds in there so he's been carefully picking through each piece and casually munching to find all of them. I'm not sure how much he's actually eaten but I'm sure it'll translate into a gigantic dump later on.

Edit: I apologize if all I talk about is my bird. Trust me, I'm reading all of your posts and love seeing pictures of your birds. I'll post more pictures as he gets more used to the camera. My phone is old so I have to get right up in his face to take a good picture.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
You're in the right place for talking too much about birds :kimchi:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Tendai posted:

You're in the right place for talking too much about birds :kimchi:

Yeah this. We are literally the bird crazies, bird away fam, bird away :hellyeah:

ofc, not that I'm biased towards GCCs at all. Nope, not me.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Testikles posted:

So the first day is winding down. I ended up leaving him alone for a bit which allowed him time to settle in and apparently get used to his surroundings. He then took the opportunity during the afternoon to tear rear end around his cage which he seems to love. I think he enjoys the space because it's definitely bigger than his original enclosure. However he kept yelling at us and shaking his forage toy which I understood that he wanted food but he had other food available. He did eventually explore his food bowls but clearly wasn't TOO interested in what I had put out. So he kept shouting.

I managed to make some better chop, set it in the cage. I put a slice of papaya on top and it piqued his curiousity. Whatever I did this time he's loving because he's spent the past hour and fifteen minutes eating and inspecting his foodbowl. I think it's because I sprinkled a few chia seeds in there so he's been carefully picking through each piece and casually munching to find all of them. I'm not sure how much he's actually eaten but I'm sure it'll translate into a gigantic dump later on.

Edit: I apologize if all I talk about is my bird. Trust me, I'm reading all of your posts and love seeing pictures of your birds. I'll post more pictures as he gets more used to the camera. My phone is old so I have to get right up in his face to take a good picture.

birds are cool

greypearl
Jul 26, 2007
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Testikles the only reason that I don't bird talk more in the bird thread is because everyone in my life knows about Pearl and I subject all of them to daily updates on my relationship with her, if I were more socially savvy I would just confine it to here like a functional human being.

Speaking of Pearl, we did 800 miles in the car over five days for vacation with her and she only bit me after we got back. The travel cage door broke and was only held on by pipe cleaners by the end of the trip but luckily we found a similar model at the bird store and can now depart safely next weekend as well. Pearl still sings out of key to the radio.

My husband also cajoled me into driving through a car wash with her, and we managed to Jedi mind trick her into thinking everything was fine. She is funny like that-- if a dog unexpectedly goes by the window she will go Tyrannosaurus rex death screech on them, but if you say, "Pearl, look at the doggie," like you are talking to a three year old she's all cool with it. Same thing apparently applies to mysterious soapy rains from the sky.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Pictured: a Nicky bird who wants very much to play on our laps

But also absolutely refuses to step up

It is a conundrum for the ages.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Pictured: a Nicky bird who wants very much to play on our laps

But also absolutely refuses to step up

It is a conundrum for the ages.

To train them to get used to step up you need to know how to make them step up. You just have your finger there which, to the bird, means absolutely nothing beyond that weird human loves putting their finger in the middle of nowhere in front of me.

First, if your bird does not like to be touched at all (like gently caress off bites that are different than super light exploration bites ) then this will require dowels suited to your birds size.

In the second picture, you have your finger in a spot that the bird has no reason you step up unto. It's already perched, why does it need to move?

From that pictures position go straight back to the birds thighs and press move it up. Do not shove your finger into it like a sword, gentle pressure all the drat time. While doing this, say "up". This will later be used as a trigger word.

What this action does is put the bird slightly off balance. This might cause a reaction from the bird where it bites your finger to stop putting it off balance. If the bites are hard, you might need to use dowels. Do not give up on this. Myself and a lot of other bird owners agree that there are not many things you need to train a bird for but "up" is one of the critical ones all birds need to be taught. It allows you to move the bird from a spot it can't be at to where it can be. This either is for convienience or for life threatening reasons (hey , I'm a bird and I found an awesome spot to perch over the oven!).

If the bird steps up, praise it. Put it back down. Say up and move your fingers into it to make it step up again. After awhile, it will associate up with get up on this finger (which later easily turns into dismounting unto a perch like the inside of it's cage from your finger) and you'll notice it will begin to start getting unto your finger before it gets close to touching it. The bird comes up with this solution to it not enjoying being unbalanced each time it steps up. This is called, for lack of a better word, negative training. All birds come to this solution and it's much better for all involved. For the human, you don't need to bring your finger as close or as low for the bird for it to step up unto. For the bird, it knows from the word "up" it is locked into having to step up and will begin the motions to step up even before your finger gets close.

Remember to link the word up with this action because it helps all involved.

And if you don't need this advice, I've already written a lot and might be useful for other bird owners lol.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

If I put a finger under Pion's stomach he will step up right away. Half the time he will then be confused, why he's suddenly standing on my finger, and hop right back to where he came from.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

EVIL Gibson posted:

To train them to get used to step up you need to know how to make them step up. You just have your finger there which, to the bird, means absolutely nothing beyond that weird human loves putting their finger in the middle of nowhere in front of me.

First, if your bird does not like to be touched at all (like gently caress off bites that are different than super light exploration bites ) then this will require dowels suited to your birds size.

In the second picture, you have your finger in a spot that the bird has no reason you step up unto. It's already perched, why does it need to move?

From that pictures position go straight back to the birds thighs and press move it up. Do not shove your finger into it like a sword, gentle pressure all the drat time. While doing this, say "up". This will later be used as a trigger word.

What this action does is put the bird slightly off balance. This might cause a reaction from the bird where it bites your finger to stop putting it off balance. If the bites are hard, you might need to use dowels. Do not give up on this. Myself and a lot of other bird owners agree that there are not many things you need to train a bird for but "up" is one of the critical ones all birds need to be taught. It allows you to move the bird from a spot it can't be at to where it can be. This either is for convienience or for life threatening reasons (hey , I'm a bird and I found an awesome spot to perch over the oven!).

If the bird steps up, praise it. Put it back down. Say up and move your fingers into it to make it step up again. After awhile, it will associate up with get up on this finger (which later easily turns into dismounting unto a perch like the inside of it's cage from your finger) and you'll notice it will begin to start getting unto your finger before it gets close to touching it. The bird comes up with this solution to it not enjoying being unbalanced each time it steps up. This is called, for lack of a better word, negative training. All birds come to this solution and it's much better for all involved. For the human, you don't need to bring your finger as close or as low for the bird for it to step up unto. For the bird, it knows from the word "up" it is locked into having to step up and will begin the motions to step up even before your finger gets close.

Remember to link the word up with this action because it helps all involved.

And if you don't need this advice, I've already written a lot and might be useful for other bird owners lol.

I appreciate the advice. The photo was staged for the photo's sake, we've tried using treats to entice her onto a hand combined with trigger words, we've tried using the gentle pressure method combined with treats and praise, etc. She is very resistant to training. She gets suspicious quickly, and will often only obey for a piece of cashew, and pretty clearly only as a way to get treats out of us. I tried to teach her to play tug of war (something she likes to do anyway), and it quickly became a way for her to hit me with toys to demand treats, and ignore the command when she felt like it, sometimes even when the treat was visibly available. With the "negative training" method, she simply lightly grabs your finger with her beak, and moves it away from her body, then walks away. The more you repeat it, the more likely she is to go full cockatoo tantrum.

She's an adorable companion, but she also doesn't give a gently caress about what anyone but herself wants sometimes, leading to situations like "play in lap, but no move to lap" and the classic "scritchies, but no hand."

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Where's a good place to get a flight harness that ships to canada? I'd like to be able to take Mochi outside a bit while it's still warm and he's relatively good about letting me touch wings and get up under them. How do I figure out what size I need? He's pretty petite and usually hovers right around 65g.

uranium grass fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jul 4, 2017

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

greypearl posted:

Testikles the only reason that I don't bird talk more in the bird thread is because everyone in my life knows about Pearl and I subject all of them to daily updates on my relationship with her, if I were more socially savvy I would just confine it to here like a functional human being.

Speaking of Pearl, we did 800 miles in the car over five days for vacation with her and she only bit me after we got back. The travel cage door broke and was only held on by pipe cleaners by the end of the trip but luckily we found a similar model at the bird store and can now depart safely next weekend as well. Pearl still sings out of key to the radio.

My husband also cajoled me into driving through a car wash with her, and we managed to Jedi mind trick her into thinking everything was fine. She is funny like that-- if a dog unexpectedly goes by the window she will go Tyrannosaurus rex death screech on them, but if you say, "Pearl, look at the doggie," like you are talking to a three year old she's all cool with it. Same thing apparently applies to mysterious soapy rains from the sky.

The fact there are no videos or pictures of these moments is tearing me up inside

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

subpar anachronism posted:

Where's a good place to get a flight harness that ships to canada? I'd like to be able to take Mochi outside a bit while it's still warm and he's relatively good about letting me touch wings and get up under them. How do I figure out what size I need? He's pretty petite and usually hovers right around 65g.

He'll fit a mini Aviator harness, which is up to 75g, a petite would also probably be fine though. It's more the head loop that matters with size-big broad headed Ohtori could wear a petite in the body but it got stuck on his head, so he got the next one up.

It has free worldwide shipping on their website, and comes with a DVD to show you how to use it

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Samba status: he's doing good so far. He survived his first major day alone. My mom gets home a little earlier than I do along with my dad so she reported that he was just tearing rear end around his cage so he was ok. I gave him food and he's liking that. The only major concern I have right now is he has a habit of going back after the stuff he's tossed on the floor of his cage which isn't terribly healthy. Also he gets stupid and frustrated when he see's a sunflower seed husk between the slats and thinks it's a whole one and then dances around trying to get it. I keep having to clean out his drawer.

I'm still trying to get a handle on what he is actually eating. I know the pellets and avi-cakes are a bust right now. The fresh stuff he's far more enthused about, especially if I sprinkle a little chia seeds. I'm just concerned he's deftly licking each piece for seeds and not actually eating enough of his actual stuff. Considering he went for it without seeds, I think he might be ok.

So far he's eating mainly: kale, green beans and carrots. Banana goes in in the morning. He gets blueberries which I use as fun for toys and points of interest because he loves them. Papaya same sort of deal or I might put some in his bowl. Seeds I'm trying to use sparingly but so far it's sunflower, pumpkin and chia. I should get better at removing his bowl when he's done eating because I'm kind of letting him graze. It might make him more interested in the pellets.

Major progress today though: today he took a few sunflower seeds directly from my fingers. Also he managed to beak my hand twice today which took some courage! Lots of praise for my brave little boy.

Testikles fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jul 5, 2017

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

It's tough to train 1 bird when there's also another bird

https://gfycat.com/AlarmedTinyHamadryad

But over the past week or so I've been training them so they'll be a little less unruly. So far they've learned to fly (to me), to go (to their cage) and to touch (my thumb). Are there any other simple tricks that are easy to teach?

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

https://twitter.com/the_peatles/status/882418028796760065

aaaagh

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Battle Pigeon posted:

He'll fit a mini Aviator harness, which is up to 75g, a petite would also probably be fine though. It's more the head loop that matters with size-big broad headed Ohtori could wear a petite in the body but it got stuck on his head, so he got the next one up.

It has free worldwide shipping on their website, and comes with a DVD to show you how to use it

Much appreciated, thanks! He doesn't have a big head so the smaller one will probably be the ticket.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

i watched this on my laptop and now my tiel is freakin out

WHERE IS THE OTHER BIRB! :derptiel:

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
winter has fallen, taco has climbed inside my shirt and moved into my armpit and is refusing to leave

except to spin and steal biscuits from everyday goast

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
good bird

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

No Bite = Confused Ohtori and suspicious af Inko

Still suspicious.

I woke up in the middle of the night to hear Inko banging around on the floor and making a bunch of unhappy noises, then a bit of weird noises he does when cold, so went through and opened the cage door. He came up and just sat there in silence, so I put my hand over his body and he just leant back into it and stayed there for a while. Then I threw a bunch more paper towels down, he burrowed under all of them, and nothing was heard from him again. He didn't even do his usual morning alarm, and was just sat looking at his food bowl when uncovered, being a Very Good Boy

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009
Ohtori is just too damned cute. Stop making me want a blue throated conure, one cuddlebug that wants to eat my piercings is enough!

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Battle Pigeon posted:

No Bite = Confused Ohtori and suspicious af Inko

Still suspicious.

I woke up in the middle of the night to hear Inko banging around on the floor and making a bunch of unhappy noises, then a bit of weird noises he does when cold, so went through and opened the cage door. He came up and just sat there in silence, so I put my hand over his body and he just leant back into it and stayed there for a while. Then I threw a bunch more paper towels down, he burrowed under all of them, and nothing was heard from him again. He didn't even do his usual morning alarm, and was just sat looking at his food bowl when uncovered, being a Very Good Boy

Beautiful birds!

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Being taken to a friend's house for a week while I was on holiday was apparently just what Crouton needed to snap out of her nestiness. She is now happy that I have returned and, while still more bitey than necessary, is doing a stellar job of ignoring her eggs. She and Galbedir are now licking my knee (?????????) and doing battle with my tweezers. Their cage has been moved into the front room so they get more darkness and can snooze even when I'm still awake.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

I had a lousy day yesterday, so I went down to a nearby bird store.

Of note was an unidentified african grey that has learned to mimic the sound of an office phone ringing. (Not sure which one it was, there were like, a dozen of them in a VERY large cage)

There was also a different african grey that let me give it head scritches, and some sort of amazon parrot that let me do the same.

Finally, there was a relatively loud dove. Made lots of pretty noises. I'm not in a position to get a bird right now, and won't be for some time, but if I ever do get one, my first bird will be a dove or pigeon. They seem to be much more durable and less destructive than any kind of parrot. Sure, they can't talk, but they also can't scream.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

https://twitter.com/kanmiQ/status/882924314537754624

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Confusion

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Birds transcend language. Also, I always think Steve looks like he is saying "Steve?!" Like how Pokemon say their own name as their sound. Just something about that cockatiel look

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashynn
Oct 14, 2013

Thought crosses my mind and some researching online isn't really helping to provide an answer.

Have people lost birds to neighboring apartments cooking with teflon? Would something like vapor sealing a room's door with tape and closing any central-air vents into it be enough to keep birds safe from it? How long do the fumes stay in the air and do they cling to clothes? Could you kill your bird by visiting family cooking with teflon and then coming home? It feels weird that I'm not finding answer answers to these sort of questions. Maybe I'm overthinking things?