Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Shoreline in Mountain View has one. I wouldn't say it's known for walkers, per se.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I really need to start looking at putts from other angles, I had several three putts tonight that were just terrible reads that I could have avoided. My driver was working well too but one bad hybrid and several bad putts really ruined my night.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
I played 36 today, one from the regular tees and once from the tips. Shot a pair of 71s, but I couldn't make a putt. The 2nd round yielded a single birdie: a chip in. My issue was the line. I started just about every birdie putt on the intended line with good speed, but they were the wrong lines. Half the time it was too much break, and the other times the line was completely wrong, like I'd play for left break and it broke right. Most putts didn't scare the hole. Frustrating.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

oh yeah those air guns are all over scotland, i love them

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I picked up a pair of the Adidas Powerband BOA shoes on the cheap from Rock Bottom and out of the box they feel really fantastic.

Got them today so I haven't played with them, will probably give them a go on Monday but the no laces, winch to tighten the shoe thing seems pretty cool to me.

They are pretty heavy which is something that I've tended to stray away from since I run in Nike Frees and play soccer in a 7oz cleat but I'm willing to give them a go.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Went gung ho at the range today. Probably going to be sore tomorrow. My chipping from 30 yards in is really getting good. Gonna test it out on my league course tomorrow.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

sarehu posted:

Shoreline in Mountain View has one. I wouldn't say it's known for walkers, per se.
I played there a bunch in 2007 and it was mostly walkers back then. People so lazy in Trump's America.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
I see so many able bodied people riding carts. I just don't get it. My wife and I played a par 3 course. It was a balmy 75 degrees out. People still riding in carts. Carts should be for old and handicapped people only.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

Summit posted:

I see so many able bodied people riding carts. I just don't get it. My wife and I played a par 3 course. It was a balmy 75 degrees out. People still riding in carts. Carts should be for old and handicapped people only.

1000%

I'm only in a cart if the temperature is over 100. My whole group walks. gently caress carts.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Carts own when you're trying to fit in 9 twilight holes in less than 2 hours and you split a rental with a friend. Otherwise, unless it's hot as gently caress just walk. Those new golfboards look hella fun though but my courses don't have them.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Carts make you play worse, well at least it does for me.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

You guys don't play in Florida much do you? I can't think of a course near me that allows walkers! No one in their right mind wants to walk when it's 95 degrees and 100% humidity. You'd have people dropping dead all over the course! Plus, I'm lucky to get a round done in a reasonable 4 - 4 1/2 hours, walking some of these courses spread throughout neighborhoods would only make the rounds even longer.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

mattfl posted:

You guys don't play in Florida much do you? I can't think of a course near me that allows walkers! No one in their right mind wants to walk when it's 95 degrees and 100% humidity. You'd have people dropping dead all over the course! Plus, I'm lucky to get a round done in a reasonable 4 - 4 1/2 hours, walking some of these courses spread throughout neighborhoods would only make the rounds even longer.

I walked a fairly hilly course yesterday and it was 90 and sunny with 100% humidity. It was easily the most uncomfortable I've ever been on a golf course and I'm in pretty drat good shape. My buddy and I actually started feeling physically sick around the 13th hole. There's nowhere for your sweat to go in weather like that, you just can't cool off. I hate riding but weather like that it's probably the better option.

Resort/neighborhood courses are obviously the exception to the idea of walking when you sometimes have a minute long cart ride to the next hole.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

As a kid I played in tournaments around Houston in the summer and we walked all these courses built for carts (so you actually walk much further distances). There is nothing fun or reasonable about doing that, and it was always more an endurance test than actually trying to play golf well at all. Playing golf in Scotland makes it a complete nonissue, where the weather is much mroe amenable and courses are all meant to be walked anyways.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
Look at all these walking tough guys. I like to ride because golfing is also about hanging out with my friends and leisurely riding around while drinking some beers.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.

Popero posted:

Look at all these walking tough guys. I like to ride because golfing is also about hanging out with my friends and leisurely riding around while drinking some beers.

I do both of those things (drinking and hanging out) while walking and I submit the latter is a helluva a lot easier when you're all walking together vs buzzing around in carts.

I will concede the point about hot days (I do live in Minnesota after all) or courses poorly set up for walking. That said I've walked plenty of courses people swore were a hard walk and they rarely actually are.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

A lot of the courses in the Chicago suburbs seem poorly set up for walking. If I have to cross an actual road to get to the next hole, gently caress walking. I prefer walking, but I'm not that committed. :v:

Really feeling good about the adjustments I've made to my swing. If this new job I'm looking into pans out, I'll probably just get lessons, but even without it, I feel like I'm on the cusp of being a bogey golfer. Even my gently caress ups are less disastrous. And making moves in the golf league.

Golf life is good. :D

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
there are courses by me with (what feels like)300 yds between holes with no shade, just concrete trails to walk on. We also just had a solid week of 107+ degrees (hillbilly Norcal).

example:

and then this type of layout very typical here for even non-senior center courses......and a very long hike with no shade. :classiclol:

I'll walk the old school tree shaded courses though, def not in summer as I am not lugging 2 gallons of ice water around to drink in between the 2 or 3 stations with water along the way.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jul 2, 2017

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Riding, if done correctly, speeds play on many courses. The courses I play I hate to see walkers, because they're going to slow the group down. 450 yard uphill par 4? Yeah, the walker is going to get to every shot last. Green to tee is 1/4 mile? Yeah, see you later, walker. Walk or ride, but do what doesn't slow play. Good, efficient walkers on some courses are the fastest players. But, most courses, riding is faster, and sometimes a LOT faster.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I would rather walk Duke University's course than ride UNC's course.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Shoreline was definitely walker-friendly. It was just the morning die-hard crowd, Saturdays and weekdays, that walked though.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Having said that, I played nine today on my league course. It's a glorified par three course. Only two of the par fours are over 300 yards and half the holes are par threes. Ten minutes waiting on every loving teebox to foursomes with carts. gently caress those guys and the guys in carts before them. I'm an 18 and I can finish it in 90 minutes walking if I don't have to wait, hitting two balls. You can all burn.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Carts on a par 3 course are just sin. I don't care if it's 120 degrees out.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
Played a Medal(stroke) round at the club I'm planning to join on Saturday. Not the most exciting course but given its location and local population of retirees the club is flush with cash which means excellent facilities, the only problem they have is that all the land around the course has been bought up so they have a sequence of holes which could be fixed with a little creativity but currently run like this:

14th Hole: Long Par 4 (420m) straight and not hard but really long so it's the index 1 on the course.

15th Hole: Long Par 3 (194m) once again straight but heaps of bunkers around the green make it index 2 on the course.

16th Hole: Short Par 3 (141m) overhanging trees and bunkering again make it index 8.

17th Hole: Normalish Par 3 (154m) 2 bunkers no problem index 16.

The issue being that 14 and 15 just back groups the gently caress up, so you wait to hit off the 14th almost like you would a par 3, by the time you are just finished putting the group 2 ahead of you are just teeing off on the 15th so you wait and wait, I asked why they didn't call people up to hit before putting but got told "It's not how we do things". It took us about as long to do 14-16th as it did the entire front 9(hit off the 10th).

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Looks like vice is getting a lot of shipments in in the next few days, anybody have any opinions on them? The pro soft lime is making me want to spend money.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I walked 9 Saturday morning in Florida. I drank a gallon of water and didn't piss once.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

Farking Bastage posted:

I walked 9 Saturday morning in Florida. I drank a gallon of water and didn't piss once.

Quoted for Los Angeles

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

There was not a break I read wrong today or a cup I didn't lip out of. :v:

Got my driver sorta going. 175 yards and straight pretty consistently. Just wish I wasn't bitch-made.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I played a heavily wooded course yesterday evening. I was playing alone and decided to go for a stroll through the woods on a few holes.

I found 98 balls, which is about 92 more than I lost, so that's good.

Hit my irons ridiculously good, driver okay, chipping and putting awesome. I moved to left hand low on my putter and I made every putt inside of 8 feet yesterday, it was monumental.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
I was white hot with my putter on the weekend. 14 Three Putts and 2 Four Putts along with 3 horribly duffed (hit the ground and ball trickled) chips for a solid 101. I just could not read the greens, I think the major issue is unless I am really on it I suck on super fast greens. Watching my playing partners hit up the slope and the ball seemingly gaining speed as it ran up to the cup. I wonder if it's due to playing in an area with super slow greens growing up? It's the first time since I started playing again last year that I gained strokes (0.3) on my handicap and I'm so annoyed at myself for my short game being absolute trash at the moment.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Shot a very boring 85 today, well it would have been if my previous best round wasn't a 92. Broke 90 for the first time, wooo.

Seven pars, five on the front including four in a row which was pretty cool for me, a couple doubles and a 9 full of bogeys.

My putting was great today. I had one three putt and it was because of a bad decision.

My two friends I played with also played really well which was a first for us. One shot an 83 but was +5 on the last four holes, other guy shot 87 but he couldn't putt a ball into the Grand Canyon from the edge of a cliff.

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

mattfl posted:

Sawgrass allows walkers. Come up and I'll show you.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Frank Viola posted:

Sawgrass allows walkers. Come up and I'll show you.

You tell me the day and I'm there!

I'm not kidding, I will take a day off work and drive up there during the week!

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Two weeks from today until my Niagara Falls golf trip. :dance:

Stocked up on e6's while they were still on sale since my dad is telling me one of the courses is really punishing for people with a pull shot like me.

Also shot 96 last night when I went out with my dad for his men's night. 55-41 is the weirdest round Ive had in many years.

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

mattfl posted:

You tell me the day and I'm there!

I'm not kidding, I will take a day off work and drive up there during the week!

I'll let you know probably in the next week or 2.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Frank Viola posted:

I'll let you know probably in the next week or 2.

I'm there!

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Interesting round today. Decent score, shot an 81, but interesting playing partners. One retired NFL player, Haven Moses, wide receiver for the Bills and Broncos in the 60s and 70s. He played music, smooth jazz, through a bluetooth speaker 100% of the round. He was nice about it, asked if it would bother me (no), but he played a tee box in front of me and went to that box before I could hit every time. So, in front of me, but usually (usually) enough off to the side so as to not really be in the way. It was curious to be over the ball, and hear, slowly growing louder as he got closer, smooth jazz.

Again, nice guy, and once I figured the routine, it was easy to adapt. He had a stroke in 2009, so I suspect it's therapeutic for him. Never seen anyone with music on the course, before.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

There are a couple guys who play music when they play at my home course, usually it's classic rock of some sort. Stuff like that doesn't bother me, it's only sudden noises while I'm swinging that get to me.

My partner in my Wednesday league won a closest to the pin and a skin tonight on a par 3, it was his first birdie of the year. I also won a skin for a birdie on a par four, and we had a carry-over from last week so we won twice as much as usual. A good night :)

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Suprfli6 posted:

There are a couple guys who play music when they play at my home course, usually it's classic rock of some sort. Stuff like that doesn't bother me, it's only sudden noises while I'm swinging that get to me.

My partner in my Wednesday league won a closest to the pin and a skin tonight on a par 3, it was his first birdie of the year. I also won a skin for a birdie on a par four, and we had a carry-over from last week so we won twice as much as usual. A good night :)

Yeah, that's what I told him, as long as it doesn't start and stop, it's not a problem. I used to play near a .50 caliber firing range, and it wasn't a problem once you got used to it, as it was a regular sound, not a sudden one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves

Sataere posted:

There was not a break I read wrong today or a cup I didn't lip out of. :v:

Got my driver sorta going. 175 yards and straight pretty consistently. Just wish I wasn't bitch-made.

Jesus Christ, are you swinging the thing with one arm?